Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

endlessmonotony posted:

They explicitly stated your opponent won't see foil morphs. Or was this wrong?

This is apparently wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

They approached me at Card Kingdom's FNM as well, around the Kibler MOCS explosion last year. Only they were looking for QA people at the time and not developers.

Approaching randos playing cards seems like the best way to do recruitment.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Countered a Sarkhan with a Stubborn Denial just now. The board was clogged except for my Ashcloud Phoenix charging over the top. He thought he just ripped the game-winning card. He was not pleased.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Countered a Sarkhan with a Stubborn Denial just now. The board was clogged except for my Ashcloud Phoenix charging over the top. He thought he just ripped the game-winning card. He was not pleased.

A counterspell was used folks. The plays.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sickening posted:

A counterspell was used folks. The plays.

Not particularly skillful, but gently caress it feels good and his rage was amusing.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Used despise on a guy in an 8-4 draft on MODO last night, and he immediately responded by telling me I couldn't take anything so to hurry it up. Told him I was just typing them down and he proceeded to send several annoying messages about why it was unnecessary and to stop wasting time.

Fast forward 45 minutes, and he loses by timeout. I topdecked a wingmate roc so he wouldn't have won anyway, but the irony made it so much better.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Streaming some Vintage durdling right here - http://www.hitbox.tv/marchhare

Going to be mussing about with probably Pyromancer Gush and possibly some Oath stuff? Want to test out Dig and Cruise in Vintage, welcome to suggestions and people telling me how bad I am at this format (very bad.)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That would feel like a great comeuppance story except it's MTGO so it could just be the guy got disconnected and bugged out. :)

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
If their official Magic client in the future somehow looked like the Planeswalker/Magic games would you guys be all over it? Or is presentation not really the biggest issue, just robustness and quality of life UI improvements? For people in the community who make Hearthstone comparisons it seems like often that is the biggest beef - that the game is massively superior but the client doesn't do it justice.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

That would feel like a great comeuppance story except it's MTGO so it could just be the guy got disconnected and bugged out. :)

No, he was desperately attacking and f6'ing up until the very end :)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Harmonica posted:

If their official Magic client in the future somehow looked like the Planeswalker/Magic games would you guys be all over it?

Absolutely, those games are beautiful. Of course, that's assuming they've also fixed the bugs in the background of MTGO and always let you make your plays, since the Duels games sometimes won't let you make a play like floating mana because they're not designed with that much depth in mind.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

- Allow me to play but don't force me to have identical collections online and offline. Maybe this means phantom constructed events or borowing a deck service or something who knows.

This is my biggest problem getting into constructed MTGO. In paper I can build or easily buy into most decks in modern and most legacy decks that don't have Tundras or LEDs. Online I play mono U Tron in modern because I didn't have to buy any $60 Cryptics, Cliques, or Batterskulls on top of the 5 I already have in paper. (Also Mindslaver is screwed so I can barely play that. :v:)

I like your idea of borrowing stuff. Kinda like Kindle has it where you can put books you're not using up for other people to read.

On the plus side, I can actually play vintage online for less than any other eternal format.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

- Client performance is pretty poor too. I don't understand how it can be such a resource hog when all it's doing is moving a few 2d images back and forth. Shameful.

I think, purely because of how pervasive it is, that this is the thing that impacts me most. I don't play in big events or anything like that, but the client is constantly being aggravatingly slow. This machine was pretty much rebuilt from scratch about 6 months ago. I can run any modern FPS at a smooth 60 fps, but a slow-paced game that's just buttons and two-dimensional pictures needs to take up to a second to respond to a single click? At all times? There is no loving way you're going to convince me that's caused by anything other than ineptitude.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Harmonica posted:

If their official Magic client in the future somehow looked like the Planeswalker/Magic games would you guys be all over it? Or is presentation not really the biggest issue, just robustness and quality of life UI improvements? For people in the community who make Hearthstone comparisons it seems like often that is the biggest beef - that the game is massively superior but the client doesn't do it justice.

The presentation in the V4 client is perfectly adequate, it's just that literally every other thing in the client and server is lovely and unreliable.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The MTGO design flaws continue!

If you play a foil Morph creature face down, the resulting morph on the battlefield is foiled. So if your opponent sees you have a foil morph game 1, they can now tell exactly which creature that is if you play it again in subsequent games.

Great design, guys.

I hadn't though about this - but it's interesting that playing foils in limited, if you are playing some number of non-foil, plus a foil card, you are giving away information if they see a non-foil Game 1, and a foil Game 2. They'll know you have at least 2 copies, when they wouldn't know you had more than 1 if not for foils.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

- Recreating paper tournaments. I enjoy spending an evening drafting at the store with friends. I might even take a whole saturday for a ptq occasionally. I do not want to be tied to my computer for 4+ hours to do one magic event. Take the hearthstone draft model (for sealed events) at the very least where I can drop in and play a round whenever.
Don't worry man! The MTGO feature that was in the game at launch ten years ago that allows you to enjoy this sort of drop in and play limited format is coming back!

And has been for something like four or five years now. MTGO development is just so stupid.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

LordSaturn posted:

The presentation in the V4 client is perfectly adequate, it's just that literally every other thing in the client and server is lovely and unreliable.

What I don't get is why they don't have an option to decrease the (unnecessarily high) graphical fidelity to improve performance like I dunno, every other PC game ever? I'm fine with things looking like v3, if it means I don't have to deal with the client locking up for 20 seconds every time I click OK.

Starving Autist fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 15, 2014

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The MTGO design flaws continue!

If you play a foil Morph creature face down, the resulting morph on the battlefield is foiled.

Your opponents don't see your face-down morphs cards as foiled. Your morphs also return to a randomised position if they are bounced.

edit: quoted wrong post.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 15, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Harmonica posted:

Your opponents don't see your face-down morphs cards as foiled. Your morphs also return to a randomised position if they are bounced.

edit: quoted wrong post.

Except they hosed it up. My opponent commented on my playing my Rattleclaw Mystic face down and he saw it as foiled.

On a somewhat related note, Wizards should print actual foil tokens some time.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
  • Client is unreasonably slow. Up to a second between clicking something and getting any kind of response even on modern hardware. Loading your collection of cards, which is also the deck builder window, takes ten times longer.
  • Server is unreasonably slow. In events, matches take forever to start and frequently lag out.
  • Random weird client problems. Popups like "PlayerA has won the game! PlayerB has won the match!" happen frequently. Windows get stuck, you get notifications about things you can't see.
  • The trade system is loving awful for a product used by human beings in 2014 and probably the second slowest part of the client, since it involves viewing cards.
  • The collection window is loving awful. It's amazingly slow, the filters are clunky and do unexpected/confusing things with certain cards.
  • Frequent game-breaking bugs. For instance, recently there was a bug that caused the enemy player to be stuck and be forced to timeout and forfeit when you played a particular card (Spirespine). People often get stuck with strange or broken sideboards.
  • Slow turnaround on patches. The Spirespine bug took weeks to patch, when it should've been solved and hotfixed within 24 hours.
  • Frequent crashes and disconnections. Made worse by the fact that the game usually won't tell you if you've been disconnected, and other features (like chat) will still appear to work... right up until you get dropped from an event for inactivity despite the client making it seem like it's your opponent that's gone AFK. This can also happen after sideboarding, where there is no indicator of any sort that the client is even waiting for anything. The only way around it is to laboriously log out and back in again and see if anything changed.

That about covers things I've seen or been personally exposed to lately. In addition, there's the whole major events breaking thing. For instance, a recent online PTQ (or was it MOCS?) bugged out and forced some players in the top8 to play with their entire draft pool as their deck. That's compounded by WotC's crappy compensation policy - basically, if an event breaks and you lose out on prizes or qualifier points, you won't get refunded if you won sealed product exceeding the entry fee of the tournament and won't be compensated for lost time/QPs. Broken events are generally not redone.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 15, 2014

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Devor posted:

I hadn't though about this - but it's interesting that playing foils in limited, if you are playing some number of non-foil, plus a foil card, you are giving away information if they see a non-foil Game 1, and a foil Game 2. They'll know you have at least 2 copies, when they wouldn't know you had more than 1 if not for foils.

I've seen people switch out foil for non foil after game 1 just to (minorly) gently caress with their opponents.

For the Pro Tour and other big tournaments they always mark the cards in the draft portion. Are those little designs different for each pack and doesn't that give away a bit of information like a foil would?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

LordSaturn posted:

The presentation is actually okay, its the fact that it runs like poo poo constantly.

I've actually heard rumors through the grapevine that WOTC is actually now attempting to hire new programmers at reasonable salaries to fix the issues with the client since the playerbase declined so much. (and this rumor is very much in the realm of "I know a guy" so nothing could come of it)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 15, 2014

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

odiv posted:

For the Pro Tour and other big tournaments they always mark the cards in the draft portion. Are those little designs different for each pack and doesn't that give away a bit of information like a foil would?

No

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

• The collection window is loving awful. It's amazingly slow, the filters are clunky and do unexpected/confusing things with certain cards.

Their "Binder" system is the stupidest thing ever. I dread any time I accidentally make too many of a card tradeable, as there is currently no way to search your trade binder. You have to manually scroll (which is incredibly laggy) and find it to undo the mistake. Not having a search function seems like a really fundamental oversight.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
All it really needs to do is work without quickly bogging your computer down, which it can't do.

The display is fine at the times at which it actually bothers to remember your settings. Its way better when you run the game on dual screens though since you can then shove a lot of information off to the side and keep your view of the battlefield uncluttered.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Used despise on a guy in an 8-4 draft on MODO last night, and he immediately responded by telling me I couldn't take anything so to hurry it up. Told him I was just typing them down and he proceeded to send several annoying messages about why it was unnecessary and to stop wasting time.

Fast forward 45 minutes, and he loses by timeout. I topdecked a wingmate roc so he wouldn't have won anyway, but the irony made it so much better.

It does actually tell in the chat log what was in their hand.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 15, 2014

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Their "Binder" system is the stupidest thing ever. I dread any time I accidentally make too many of a card tradeable, as there is currently no way to search your trade binder. You have to manually scroll (which is incredibly laggy) and find it to undo the mistake. Not having a search function seems like a really fundamental oversight.

Searchable binders are coming in the next update, next week, as well as a bunch of other things.

On the morph foil thing, that's shocking if true - since they currently think foils are hidden. Did your opponent actually tell you they saw it as foil?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Angry Grimace posted:

It does actually tell in the chat log what was in their hand.

Yeah, the only time it's actually necessary to write down their hand is when you get to look at their hand without them revealing it, e.g. with Vendilion Clique.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I have always thought they needed a better way to handle priority, although I am not sure what exactly. One thing would be separate keys for passing to resolve the stack and passing to change phases. In other words a pass key that only works when something is on the stack.
Far too many times I have been trying to let a large stack resolve after a counter war only to accidentally skip my combat step.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I Love You! posted:

There were certainly cards that were printed incorrectly in alpha/beta and other early sets. One of the circles of protection (red? or maybe black) wasn't available in Alpha. In arabian nights you could get a basic mountain in place of a rare because it showed up in the wrong place on a print sheet.

Those are the two I recall off the top of my head. I'm not sure about print combinations.

Mostly I'm asking because someone I know is claiming that the lotus pull in that recent video must be a fake because Tropical Island and black lotus couldn't be in the same pack. I'm not entirely convinced that's the case, but the packing process certainly has its quirks like the common runs we see in packs today.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Olothreutes posted:

Mostly I'm asking because someone I know is claiming that the lotus pull in that recent video must be a fake because Tropical Island and black lotus couldn't be in the same pack. I'm not entirely convinced that's the case, but the packing process certainly has its quirks like the common runs we see in packs today.

How on earth would he know? It's been more than 20 years since ABU packs were in regular circulation, and I can't imagine all that much mapping work was ever done on them.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Olothreutes posted:

Volcanic Island is the one you're thinking of, not Tropical.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
The main thing that keeps me away from MTGO is all the bugs that ruin events. I'd like to take the game at least somewhat seriously if I'm going to spend much money on it, and stuff like people not being able to submit decks for the PTQ, Spirespine ruining multiple dailies, or any other random bug that makes people refund events just seem... awful. I don't have the time or patience to waste a few hours on that.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente
Having you opponent attack into you with Zurgo while holding a Deflecting Palm and an Act of Treason is probably the best feeling I've ever had in Magic. Was doing so badly, couldn't find a black source at all, never thought I'd be so happy to see Zurgo.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Mikujin posted:

Volcanic Island is the one you're thinking of, not Tropical.

No, I'm aware of the absence of Volcanic Island and that one circle of protection (black?). This person is maintaining that the packaging order of rares prohibits cards that are that far apart on the sheet from being in the same pack. I disbelieve him, but would like an expert opinion.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Olothreutes posted:

No, I'm aware of the absence of Volcanic Island and that one circle of protection (black?). This person is maintaining that the packaging order of rares prohibits cards that are that far apart on the sheet from being in the same pack. I disbelieve him, but would like an expert opinion.

Here's an expert opinion: 21 loving years ago, it was the wild loving west in packing and distribution and literally anything can and did happen. Is it somewhat less likely? Possibly. Impossible? gently caress no.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A good friend of mine recently passed his Level one judge test and was curious about how people get those judge polos. He quickly learned that there's no room for fun in the world of Magic judging.

http://www.reddit.com/r/mtgjudge/comments/2j6mz5/i_just_passed_my_level_1_today_this_is_the_most/

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Death Bot posted:

The main thing that keeps me away from MTGO is all the bugs that ruin events. I'd like to take the game at least somewhat seriously if I'm going to spend much money on it, and stuff like people not being able to submit decks for the PTQ, Spirespine ruining multiple dailies, or any other random bug that makes people refund events just seem... awful. I don't have the time or patience to waste a few hours on that.

As mentioned before and is worth repeating, drafts rarely crash and its extremely stable if you just stick to drafting. This is well worth the time and minor frustrations of the client because drafting at anytime is just that amazing.

I hated v4 at first but if you stick to the f2/f6 buttons for the majority of your stuff its pretty smooth.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

kzin602 posted:

A good friend of mine recently passed his Level one judge test and was curious about how people get those judge polos. He quickly learned that there's no room for fun in the world of Magic judging.

http://www.reddit.com/r/mtgjudge/comments/2j6mz5/i_just_passed_my_level_1_today_this_is_the_most/

Some of these posts are amazing.

quote:

Much like the Bagworm Moth constructs a shell of debris around itself to make a travelling home, the lowly level one judge must also construct his shirt before undergoing the miraculous change into the next instar of development.
Each judge call you make entitles you to a single strand of hair from each player. Over time you will amass a wondrous collection of players hair. By honing your skills as a judge, both of cards and textiles, you can begin to spin your new shirt.
As you spin your shirt you will have many decisions ahead of you; lifelink versus armadillo cloak , stiff beard hair versus wispy balding man hair. Each decision you make will reinforce the armor you build yourself, not only in your heart but over your skin.
Once your shirt is complete, layered with discarded booster pack wrappers, reinforced with deck sheets and shiny with the lanolin of a thousand players, you will be put before a panel of judges. They will examine your handiwork, admire your attention to detail and decide if your crystalis is sufficient to carry you to the next stage of development, level 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

kzin602 posted:

My favorite part was when he said he did it so he'd never have to buy a shirt again.

Spoken like a true goon, even if its ironically.

• Locked thread