Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plan Z
May 6, 2012

CJacobs posted:

edit: I wish Anthony Burch knew how to write gay characters without them going BY THE WAY IM GAY, JUST TELLING YOU THAT IM GAY AGAIN IN CASE YOU DIDNT HEAR IT, I LIKE PEOPLE OF THE SAME SEX, because that kinda defeats the purpose of making it inclusive and as a gay person it's a bit insulting to see it put so bluntly!

Like someone said, Hammerlock was handled well. The Springs stuff at the start is very stupid, though. I kind of have no opinion on Torgue or Axton, since they were both low-effort.

Widestancer posted:

Why does "queer inclusiveness" or a lack thereof even bother anyone? Does anyone actually play this series for its storyline?

I play it for the characters, more than the plot. Bl1 was lacking, but Bl2 developed quite a few funny (obviously, Torgue), interesting ones that added much more flavor and style to the game.

Kaubocks posted:

How are the drop rates looking in this game? Only real problem I had with BL2 is how insanely rare purple/orange drops were for a non-competitive multiplayer game.

Just want to have fun with it and I'm wondering if I'm going to have to fire up Cheat Engine again.

They're good, but I don't think anything I say will keep you from loading the engine. After about four or five hours, I've seen at least one or two blues of every weapon, and almost one of every purple (though some were from quests). I'm not too far in, and have gotten some badass ranks for picking up rare loot The level design allows for a lot of nooks and crannies, and they're generous with the weapon chests if you take the time. There are also chests that seem to only spawn purple and above which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ugh. So I'm pretty close to the end I think trying to get to the eye, need to blow up the containers and the game keeps crashing on me. I've just updated my drivers, not OC'ing any hardware... No idea what the problem is =[

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Ugh. So I'm pretty close to the end I think trying to get to the eye, need to blow up the containers and the game keeps crashing on me. I've just updated my drivers, not OC'ing any hardware... No idea what the problem is =[

Make sure you're not overheating, do a Steam verify on your install, turn your settings down. See if any of that helps.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Using an AMD video card? Try the beta drivers, I've had memory leak problems with 14.9 whql

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Hey, if I own a copy of BL:PS on Steam, is it possible to load it up on a second PC in the same house without getting booted off? I haven't tried yet but the console versions get split screen couch co-op and I wanna use my spare laptop so my mate can play too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not that I know of, but if you wanted to do it on the same PC you could launch two instances of the game with a virtual box program like Sandboxie. That's what I had to do for Borderlands 2 because there's no splitscreen on PC! :downs:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I like the O2 system, but I play as claptrap.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ColHannibal posted:

I like the O2 system, but I play as claptrap.

Does claptrap breathe?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I just died 27 times trying to make that first jump after you get the Stingray. Tried boosting, not boosting, everything. Guess I'm not playing the game past this point.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tenzarin posted:

Does claptrap breathe?

Claptrap doesn't use oxygen so there's no per-second drain and when it's extinguished you don't lose health. Claptrap only uses oxygen when butt stomping and hovering.

He does still wheeze and complain about having no air when you're out of oxygen though for some reason.

rydiafan posted:

I just died 27 times trying to make that first jump after you get the Stingray. Tried boosting, not boosting, everything. Guess I'm not playing the game past this point.

Are you... making the jump IN the sting ray? You're talking about the one with the big orange platforms you have to jump across right? The sting ray's "thing" is that it can jump, not boost.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

CJacobs posted:

He does still wheeze and complain about having no air when you're out of oxygen though for some reason.

He does it so he doesn't feel left out! Also to fit in more with his oxygen breathing meatbag allies.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Claptrap doesn't use oxygen so there's no per-second drain and when it's extinguished you don't lose health. Claptrap only uses oxygen when butt stomping and hovering.

"drat me and my psychosomatic need for oxygen!" is a pretty good line for Claptrap.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Are you... making the jump IN the sting ray? You're talking about the one with the big orange platforms you have to jump across right? The sting ray's "thing" is that it can jump, not boost.

If I just drive over the ramp I don't make it. If I try hitting the jump button midway across it doesn't let me. If I try jumping before the ramp I don't make it.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

CJacobs posted:

Remember in Bl1 when the claptraps would hyperventilate and then comment how they can't actually breathe and that it was actually just a recording of someone else breathing, which just made them more nervous? They're just irrationally emotional, I guess.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

rydiafan posted:

If I just drive over the ramp I don't make it. If I try hitting the jump button midway across it doesn't let me. If I try jumping before the ramp I don't make it.

1. Make sure you are going at full speed before the ramp
2. Press F when you are at the edge of the ramp but also still on the ground, continuing to hold W
3. You made it, there are no other factors

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Widestancer posted:

Why does "queer inclusiveness" or a lack thereof even bother anyone? Does anyone actually play this series for its storyline?

It has less to do with that there are gay characters and more to do with how extremely unsubtle they're about it to the point it insulting toward gay people.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Just started playing, but is there a shooting range/gun testing type place in Concordia?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Having played as Wilhelm and gotten as far as smearing the Boson across the deck of the Drackenburg, I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. I haven't had any problems with oxygen yet, either. Every enemy drops a tank or two on death, they're in half of the garbage piles in vacuums, and oxygen hotspots are marked pretty plainly on the minimap. I was rather pissed off when the Boson's blue chest took 40 goddamned eridium moonstones off of me to make a Luneshine weapon. I don't know why there isn't an option to give less for a lesser reward, like the Die Chests in Dragon Keep.

One positive I've noticed is that the Vending Machines have just been bananas with amazing Items of the day. Me and Smashpro came across a legendary Hyperion ice smg that neither of us could afford, and it feels like an even shot of getting a blue/purple in each one.

Really, the thing that has annoyed me the most so far is the loading screen blip telling me "...and don't forget to like us on FacebookŪ!" That has to be the tackiest poo poo imaginable to me.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

IotD's have almost always been blue or purple so far for me, which is still a huge step up from BL2, where it was almost entirely greens. Actually makes checking vending machines worth it now.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have you guys found a good source for telling what the different red texts do?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Back Hack posted:

It has less to do with that there are gay characters and more to do with how extremely unsubtle they're about it to the point it insulting toward gay people.

I don't know what the incident in question is since I've played 5 minutes of this game so far, but Gearbox actually held a panel on inclusiveness at GaymerX, the gay gamer expo in San Fran. So if Gearbox's always tactful writers reverted to Duke Nukem Forever mode and botched their efforts that's pretty rich.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zero VGS posted:

I don't know what the incident in question is since I've played 5 minutes of this game so far,

You're about 10 minutes from the first instance of it then.

It really is borderline insulting to me. Like, certain characters like the one sidequest character who just offhandedly mentions a girl as "her ex" is fine and natural. Hammerlock does that too. That makes sense. Janey Springs mentioning how incredibly moon-lesbian she is every other quest (this is the first videogame i've heard use the word ladyboner by the way) is just crap. It's good that they tried to put more diverse characters in the game but for the majority of it, it just got handled in such a hamfisted way that the message they tried to put behind it is lost.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

It really is borderline insulting to me. Like, certain characters like the one sidequest character who just offhandedly mentions a girl as "her ex" is fine and natural. Hammerlock does that too. That makes sense. Janey Springs mentioning how incredibly moon-lesbian she is every other quest (this is the first videogame i've heard use the word ladyboner by the way) is just crap. It's good that they tried to put more diverse characters in the game but for the majority of it, it just got handled in such a hamfisted way that the message they tried to put behind it is lost.

I'm guessing the idea is that some people are subtle about it and some people are just really in your face about it and you have all types?

I dunno.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

CJacobs posted:

Here is the hard-hitting question:
Would you be just as insulted by a male character who is super stoked about scoring chicks and won't stop mentioning how incedibly moon-hetero he is?

If the answer is yes, then congratulations, you are consistent at least.

Fake edit: Please do not take that as an attack :shobon:
It's observable that a common character trope for a male character is that of the "hound dog". I'm just trying to suggest that it's okay for there to be a female equivalent.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MJ12 posted:

I'm guessing the idea is that some people are subtle about it and some people are just really in your face about it and you have all types?

I dunno.

deadly_pudding posted:

It's observable that a common character trope for a male character is that of the "hound dog". I'm just trying to suggest that it's okay for there to be a female equivalent.

Maybe so. More importantly though, it's just not really funny for very long. :shrug:

deadly_pudding posted:

Would you be just as insulted by a male character who is super stoked about scoring chicks and won't stop mentioning how incedibly moon-hetero he is?

Like I said further up on the page, I'm not insulted because it's being shoved in my face, I'm insulted (edit: Well, I was, but not really anymore after the above posts) because I'm gay and they put gay people in their game just so they can go "look we're different we have THE GAYS!"

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 15, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like its just how Anthony Burch writes. He isn't subtle at all. I don't think it was some secret agenda to get on the winning side of "the gays."

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

To try to refine the point a bit, it's not so much the fact that there are gay characters in the game, but more that it feels much more like pandering than it did in BL2. It's much less subtle in this game, less offhand comment here and there, more in your face all the time.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

CJacobs posted:

Like I said further up on the page, I'm not insulted because it's being shoved in my face, I'm insulted (edit: Well, I was, but not really anymore after the above posts) because I'm gay and they put gay people in their game just so they can go "look we're different we have THE GAYS!"

That's fair. I can see how it can be insulting if you are perceiving your own demographic being stereotyped for what is ostensibly a cheap laugh.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I guess I'll stick with Fallout New Vegas for my subtle gays...

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It's still kind of funny when Torgue has a FEMINISM moment, but I think that's because Torgue is allowed to be ridiculously unsubtle.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I am nearly positive Moxxi mentions her ex-girlfriend flings more than once in BL2. I haven't gotten far with Claptrap solo yet, but I have used his special at least five times and gotten something different each time. Item/weapon rarity drops seem a little better than I recall, but it's been months since playing the last DLC for Borderlands. My greatest hope is to reconnect with a Dual Penetrating Unkempt Harold.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Claptrap is pretty much my favorite character to play as, of the 3 I've tried. I haven't given Athena a go yet. I just like that his skills keep you on your toes because it gives me a chance to use weapons I otherwise never would. Also I found a legendary Bonus Package grenade mod and I am exploding absolutely everything with him.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I feel bad as I kinda want to turn on cheat engine and play with drop rates and I'm only about 4-5 hours in.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Eonwe posted:

I feel like its just how Anthony Burch writes. He isn't subtle at all. I don't think it was some secret agenda to get on the winning side of "the gays."

In his own words when talking about inclusiveness, his writing is "about as subtle as a sledgehammer. To the face. Of your grandmother." :rolleyes:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

CJacobs posted:

(this is the first videogame i've heard use the word ladyboner by the way)

Moxxi says "can you say 'ladyboner'?" when you put up Maya's poster in one quest in the old Torgue DLC so its probably a callback to that. The overt "hey look how gay I am" thing everyone's doing is more just them trying way too hard than anything else, really.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

deadly_pudding posted:

If the answer is yes, then congratulations, you are consistent at least.

Me being gay doesn't define me, its simply a small part of who I am as a whole, the problem with these characters is that they have the subtlety of a brick to the face. You don't discover that they're gay through interactions with them or doing quests, its practically the first thing they tell you. Its cool they're being inclusive but be more subtle about it, otherwise it comes off as pandering.

Also Torque's line about about friendzoning is a misogynist way of looking at relationships was cringe inducing.

And now for the game question, those of you that are way up there with Nisha or Athena, what's it like? What did you spec into? I'm liking both classes but I'm having trouble picking which one I wanna max out.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Alteisen posted:

And now for the game question, those of you that are way up there with Nisha or Athena, what's it like? What did you spec into? I'm liking both classes but I'm having trouble picking which one I wanna max out.

I'm not quite up there, but it's easy to predict some things. Nisha is straight up DPS, with all ranges available. Athena is more complex, as she has an instant revive, team healing, tanking, and damage roles, at melee to medium range. There is a lot to be seen about what Athena can do. Nisha just spits out insane amounts of bullets for tons of damage.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Skandranon posted:

I'm not quite up there, but it's easy to predict some things. Nisha is straight up DPS, with all ranges available. Athena is more complex, as she has an instant revive, team healing, tanking, and damage roles, at melee to medium range. There is a lot to be seen about what Athena can do. Nisha just spits out insane amounts of bullets for tons of damage.

Oh no, I was planning on playing as Athena because I like melee and elemental damage but my favorite thing to do in BL2 was play Maya and poo poo out as many bullets as fast as possible. Now I'm completely torn.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Is it true that the game is comically short? I heard that it's as long as 2 or 3 big DLC packs from BL2 stitched together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Alteisen posted:

Me being gay doesn't define me, its simply a small part of who I am as a whole, the problem with these characters is that they have the subtlety of a brick to the face. You don't discover that they're gay through interactions with them or doing quests, its practically the first thing they tell you. Its cool they're being inclusive but be more subtle about it, otherwise it comes off as pandering.

Also Torque's line about about friendzoning is a misogynist way of looking at relationships was cringe inducing.

Athena's middle tree is boring as hell early on. Sure +gun damage is nice, but the right tree is actually fun. Haven't tried the left yet, as tankiness isn't really necessary in normal mode.

Also, has anyone found any decent grinder recipes beyond just stuffing in 3 of the same type of item of the same rarity?

• Locked thread