Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Have you tried tweeting your grievances to the director?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ImpAtom posted:

Are you seriously arguing that what Fumina did was a show of serious skill and ability?

Put together with her being midway through chumping the prez when he was just using the Enact (after coming up with the strategy to remove his backup) and the fact that she managed to recover enough to get her guns aimed and going seconds after coming out of the plasma hold? Yes.

Doing a single kick to an immobile huge chunk of plastic, hitting with two beam shots (one to an immobile huge chunk of plastic, the other to a wide open mech who isn't even trying to dodge). Those aren't exactly significantly greater acts of skill.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 15, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ActionZero posted:

Put together with her being midway through chumping the prez when he was just using the Enact (after coming up with the strategy to remove his backup) and the fact that she managed to recover enough to get her guns aimed and going seconds after coming out of the plasma hold? Yes.

Doing a single kick to an immobile huge chunk of plastic, hitting with two beam shots (one to an immobile huge chunk of plastic, the other to a wide open mech who isn't even trying to dodge). Those aren't exactly significantly greater acts of skill.

They're not significantly greater but they also don't come after getting captured and creeped at and needing to be rescued. It also comes on the wake of last episode where she once again was caught off guard by the exact same guy and put into a vulnerable position where she needed to be rescued. Her partners are allowed to have cool moments without having Gunpla Creeper making gropey-hands at them.

And again, she is my favorite character in the show. That is why it is aggravating to see her do something that should be cool but is undermined by her strategy instantly failing and the enemy she effortlessly defeats throwing the match.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 15, 2014

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

They're not significantly greater but they also don't come after getting captured and creeped at and needing to be rescued. It also comes on the wake of last episode where she once again was caught off guard by the exact same guy and put into a vulnerable position where she needed to be rescued. Her partners are allowed to have cool moments without having Gunpla Creeper making gropey-hands at them.

Yeah so is she, she had the entirety of the first episodes opening, and the fight with the Enact before he cheated this episode and probably many more moments in the next 24 episodes we have left.

I...I don't think I like where this is going. It is however preferable to ImpAtom's weird posts where he ignores the show to prove to himself that 'No, Fumina is a bad pilot and this show is bad because of it."

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 15, 2014

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ImpAtom posted:

They're not significantly greater but they also don't come after getting captured and creeped at and needing to be rescued.

Neither did the part where she took out every single weapon the Enact was carrying one on one without taking a scratch of damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah so is she, she had the entirety of the first episodes opening and probably many more moments in the next 24 episodes we have left.

The opening of the first episode had her win a fight against a nameless mook and then get shot to pieces and torn apart.

I...I don't think I like where this is going. It is however preferable to ImpAtom's weird posts where he ignores the show to prove to himself that 'No, Fumina is a bad pilot and this show is bad because of it."

I don't think Fumina is a bad pilot?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The opening of the first episode had her win a fight against a nameless mook and then get shot to pieces and torn apart.

It had her shooting down multiple people in a huge battle then only losing when being outnumbered by a small platoon.

And you missed the bit about the Enact fight from this episode.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

It had her shooting down multiple people in a huge battle then only losing when being outnumbered by a small platoon.

I don't know why you guys keep arguing with him. He is going to continue to ignore anything that doesn't agree with his already set-in-stone perception that Build Fighters can't do good female characters and so therefor Fumina is worthless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

She took down one person. The scene where she is flying forward is her flying towards open space. The explosion is a missile that flies past her and misses just before exploding.

I explained already why I don't find that very impressive. She would have lost the fight in a one-on-one fight and "it's illegal in tournament matches" feels like pretty thinly veiled justification compared to the things we've already seen other units do, especially when the Agrissa is a canonical attachment for the Enact.

I guess I'm kind of confused. Do people think I'm sitting here watching the show going "haha, you suck, I can't wait to complain on the internet about it! I'll take this all wildly out of context because I win" or something?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Literally the broken loose of Gundam Build Fighters- Three Times the Passion of Ordinary Gunpla thread.

e-

Fumina is a bad girl.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 15, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ImpAtom posted:

I guess I'm kind of confused. Do people think I'm sitting here watching the show going "haha, you suck, I can't wait to complain on the internet about it! I'll take this all wildly out of context because I win" or something?

That is the vibe I've been getting. :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Literally the broken loose of Gundam Build Fighters- Three Times the Passion of Ordinary Gunpla thread.

Yes, I truly am here arguing the show is misogynistic and the developers have everyone and that everyone who likes the show is stupid. I literally hate the show and am not enjoying it except for a few minor problems, most of which it inherent from its predecessor and which I'm not surprised about.

In fact I voiced this exact same complaints in the last thread and got the exact same response. v:shobon:v

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That is the vibe I've been getting. :shrug:

I like the show! I liked the last show! I presume I will continue enjoying the show! I thought the fight this episode was kind of crap all around but mostly because it was boring and generic with little tension. There isn't even much to talk about because nothing really exciting happened except the Agrissa stuff and Sekai having Newtype Punchfists.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 15, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Guys, you're missing the point. ImpAtom's not saying Fumina's not a good, skilled pilot. He's saying that she's not being allowed to be the ideal Strong Independent Female Character Who Don't Need No Man to Help Her Get Ahead that his Social Justice Warrior ethos needs her to be.

ImpAtom posted:

Do people think I'm sitting here watching the show going "haha, you suck, I can't wait to complain on the internet about it! I'll take this all wildly out of context because I win" or something?

No, I think you're letting your preconceptions about what you expect to happen color your interpretation of actual events. But I've realized that it's a waste of time arguing with you about it, since nothing anyone else says is going to convince you otherwise, and nothing you say is going to convince us that you're right.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
What the gently caress is it about Gundam threads that riles up the SJW autists? Can we please just enjoy our loving cartoon show about plastic toys you assemble and fight with?

Seriously, the difference in posts from <any random adtrw thread> and anything related to Gundam is :catdrugs: as gently caress.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

She took down one person. The scene where she is flying forward is her flying towards open space. The explosion is a missile that flies past her and misses just before exploding.

I explained already why I don't find that very impressive. She would have lost the fight in a one-on-one fight and "it's illegal in tournament matches" feels like pretty thinly veiled justification compared to the things we've already seen other units do, especially when the Agrissa is a canonical attachment for the Enact.

It's just, No she would have won one on one if he hadn't literally cheated, or at the very least if you are being pedantic, had not actively lied about the ruleset they were using.

He actually says "We'll play just like the championships" and then does something (launching a second part of a unit after the match has started) that would be illegal in a game using the championship rules. I mean, you could argue that if he had originally launched with it she could not have won, but the fact that he cheats and catches her off guard with it and she struggled with it isn't actually good evidence of that.

You're seeing things in a way that no one else in the thread is (Like your weird dismissal of Fumina's attack against it and then also saying Sekai's move did a lot more than it actually did) and that's why people are saying you're actively ignoring things that counter your statements. Because you are.

W.T. Fits posted:

No, I think you're letting your preconceptions about what you expect to happen color your interpretation of actual events. But I've realized that it's a waste of time arguing with you about it, since nothing anyone else says is going to convince you otherwise, and nothing you say is going to convince us that you're right.

Basically this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's just, No she would have won one on one if he hadn't literally cheated, or at the very least if you are being pedantic, had not actively lied about the ruleset they were using.

He actually says "We'll play just like the championships" and then does something (launching a second part of a unit after the match has started) that would be illegal in a game using the championship rules. I mean, you could argue that if he had originally launched with it she could not have won, but the fact that he cheats and catches her off guard with it and she struggled with it isn't actually good evidence of that.

You're seeing things in a way that no one else in the thread is (Like your weird dismissal of Fumina's attack against it and then also saying Sekai's move did a lot more than it actually did) and that's why people are saying you're actively ignoring things that counter your statements. Because you are.

I do legitimately think people are over-emphasizing Fumina's part in the fight. I would agree if you said "all three contributed to it" but it's become "Sekai and Kousaka barely did anything, it was all Fumina!" You're free to disagree but I really don't feel people would be making that argument normally, and I also think it's contradictory to the intent of the scene. (Which is "here is the moment all three of them do something equal because they are a team and compliment each others!")

Like I said, I voiced these same complaints in the original BF thread and got pretty much the same responses, so I'm not overly shocked, but I'm a little annoyed at the "Broken Loose SJW autist" bullshits because I've specifically avoided trying to be insulting or implying any active nastiness either on the part of the show or other posters, nor am I passing judgment on the show as a whole. I have a problem with the show and, yes, I admit I'm not giving it the benefit of the doubt that it will get better about this one aspect because the original BF didn't really either. That doesn't mean I dislike the show, don't want to watch it or am not enjoying it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 15, 2014

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

This made me laugh way harder than I should have.

Show is good, characters are great, jokes are funny, fights are awesome. Sekai's and Fumina's enthusiasm is goddamn infectious. The SJW bullshit in this thread needs to :frogout:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ImpAtom posted:

it's become "Sekai and Kousaka barely did anything, it was all Fumina!"

Nobody has said anything like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ActionZero posted:

Nobody has said anything like that.

"Sekai only kicked off three spindly legs" and "hitting a giant immobile chunk of plastic" and "the Enact wasn't even trying to dodge" and various other things really come across that way. If it wasn't the intended reading then I apologize for misunderstanding it but I don't think it was a wild way to read those comments. It's possible I'm misunderstanding arguments which I apologize if so.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Like I said, I voiced these same complaints in the original BF thread and got pretty much the same responses, so I'm not overly shocked, but I'm a little annoyed at the "Broken Loose SJW autist" bullshits because I've specifically avoided trying to be insulting or implying any active nastiness either on the part of the show or other posters, nor am I passing judgment on the show as a whole. I have a problem with the show and, yes, I admit I'm not giving it the benefit of the doubt that it will get better about this one aspect because the original BF didn't really either. That doesn't mean I dislike the show, don't want to watch it or am not enjoying it.

While I might not agree with everything you've said on the matter I appreciate that you back up your points when people are pressing you, and that you don't just call anyone who disagrees with you an idiot and storm off.

W.T. Fits posted:

Guys, you're missing the point. ImpAtom's not saying Fumina's not a good, skilled pilot. He's saying that she's not being allowed to be the ideal Strong Independent Female Character Who Don't Need No Man to Help Her Get Ahead that his Social Justice Warrior ethos needs her to be.

Honestly posts like these are way more obnoxious since at least ImpAtom explaining the rationale behind his opinion, which last I checked isn't something the SJW types are able to do :v:.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I really feel like ImpAtom is trying to get some sort of misplaced revenge for the G-Reco thread, but it doesn't work because this show actually has strong female characters who aren't cheerleaders, vegetables, or constantly crying and losing.

I absolutely loved the Ral quotes sequence (or rather, the lack thereof). It's great that they're trying to avoid repeating a lot of what they already did last season-- including the training bits, I'm guessing, since Sekai's fighting is based off his IRL martial arts.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

I really feel like ImpAtom is trying to get some sort of misplaced revenge for the G-Reco thread, but it doesn't work because this show actually has strong female characters who aren't cheerleaders, vegetables, or constantly crying and losing.

:laffo:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jesus Christ you assholes are sucking all the fun out of plastic robots beating the poo poo out of each other.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom has always been a dude who is completely honest about his opinions, so I am p sure he is writing all this stuff because that's how he feels, not because of some really bizarre plan to get some sort of passive-aggressive revenge over the G-Reco thread.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ImpAtom posted:

"hitting a giant immobile chunk of plastic" and "the Enact wasn't even trying to dodge"
Both of these were me and you'll notice I ended it with "Those aren't exactly significantly greater acts of skill."
You were arguing that Fumina shooting up the Agrissa wasn't significantly skillful, my argument was that neither was what Sekai or Yuuma did to it, it's fairly even based on what their mechs are designed for honestly.

edit: Just to be clear, the SJW comments and stuff like that are nonsensical. I have no problem with ImpAtom having his opinions about this or how he's presenting them, I just disagree with him and I hope nothing other than that is coming across in what I say.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 15, 2014

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Srice posted:

Honestly posts like these are way more obnoxious since at least ImpAtom explaining the rationale behind his opinion, which last I checked isn't something the SJW types are able to do :v:.

:agreed: though I still think its too early on to make specific character agency calls, same as G-Reco. I'm hoping everyone gets a chance to shine at some point, even if a team setting makes that a little more difficult to set properly.

Or: God drat I just want more scenes of the GM Cardigan shooting things before it's sidelined after regionals.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Razzled posted:

What the gently caress is it about Gundam threads that riles up the SJW autists? Can we please just enjoy our loving cartoon show about plastic toys you assemble and fight with?

Seriously, the difference in posts from <any random adtrw thread> and anything related to Gundam is :catdrugs: as gently caress.

This post manages to be worse than ImpAtom though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

"Sekai only kicked off three spindly legs" and "hitting a giant immobile chunk of plastic" and "the Enact wasn't even trying to dodge" and various other things really come across that way. If it wasn't the intended reading then I apologize for misunderstanding it but I don't think it was a wild way to read those comments. It's possible I'm misunderstanding arguments which I apologize if so.

It was a show of as much skill and ability as what the other two teammates did. Like that's literally the entire point of that scene.

Hey ImpAtom here's some poo poo that literally shows me saying the opposite of what you said I said. Thanks for paying attention!

Broken Loose posted:

We've gone too deep.

Razzled posted:

This post is the worst in the thread though.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
This show makes me actually work on my backlog. Waiting for paint to dry now, but basically after it ended I went back to work on the MG Hi Nu I got recently.

Anyone else get the same feeling?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yosuke posted:

This show makes me actually work on my backlog. Waiting for paint to dry now, but basically after it ended I went back to work on the MG Hi Nu I got recently.

I think a lot of people get that feeling because this series are made so that you buy more plastic. Its like a video form of basilisks.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Yosuke posted:

I had renounced HGs before Build Fighters and now I'm buying them again on top of my (admittedly small) MG backlog. What have I become

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ActionZero posted:

edit: Just to be clear, the SJW comments and stuff like that are nonsensical. I have no problem with ImpAtom having his opinions about this or how he's presenting them, I just disagree with him and I hope nothing other than that is coming across in what I say.

Nah, it's fair. I disagree but I'm really not trying to be a dick about it. I am sorry if it came across that way to either you or Zen, who made good arguments and who I wasn't trying to go "no, shut up" to or anything. I really do like the show. :smith: I'll drop it since I'd rather enjoy discussing the stupid goofy toy show than have people getting crazy-angry at me.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Literally The Worst posted:

This post manages to be worse than ImpAtom though.

Just sticks on the fire of an already flaming dumpster of a thread. Like seriously loving frame by frame analysis of a show about
toys.
that fight.

The last 60 pages of this thread have been some real serious :qq: poo poo about something that doesn't exist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think a lot of people get that feeling because this series are made so that you buy more plastic. Its like a video form of basilisks.

I found Gunpla Builders the worst for this. It was just not good at all but after every episode I wanted to build a goddamn model.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I apologize for the SJW shot; that was out of line on my part.

Here's the basic issue I'm having: I'm enjoying the show. I'm enjoying the fights. I'm enjoying Fumina doing some awesome stuff in the fights and actually being good at fighting.

ImpAtom watches the show, and everything Fumina does that's awesome, he sees as being tainted because either
  1. she had to have help from Sekai or Yuuma
  2. it came at the cost of Mantis Man being a terrible creepazoid towards her

The problem with the first is that the whole show is set up around the premise that this is a team effort, and that you need good teammates you can depend on. But no, since she's the girl, it's automatically terrible if she has to be helped out by her male teammates, or if she does something to help them out, it's just her being reduced to a helper instead of being allowed to be awesome on her own.

The problem with the second is that why should Mantis Man being a terrible person somehow automatically make the cool stuff Fumina does less cool? Like ImpAtom keeps pointing out how Mantis Man was making creepy comments and was just generally being the worst character in the show... and Fumina handled it just fine. She didn't just slump down in defeat when he immobilized her suit, she didn't scream for Sekai-kun or Yuu-kun to come rescue her, she didn't freak out and try to run when he rushed her proclaiming that he'd take her hostage. She struggled against the Agrissa and the moment she was free, she reoriented herself and went right back to trying to kick his poo poo in. But no, because she had to be rescued and because Yuuma and Sekai also participated in taking down Mantis Man, her contribution is somehow automatically not as important or valid.

That's the impression I get from ImpAtom, and it's frustrating to read his posts because as well-thought out and put together as they are, he doggedly refuses to acknowledge counterarguments that refute his points and clings to this idea that "Fumina is never going to get to do anything cool on her own."

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Oh lord, I just now noticed that Yuuma is the one who builds the Bearguy F for Mirai. That's just precious.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I had renounced HGs before Build Fighters and now I'm buying them again on top of my (admittedly small) MG backlog. What have I become

If it weren't for the fact that I can't handle parts that size, I'd be more into HGs. But damned if it isn't stopping me from browsing kits to buy constantly. "Hey that last one I got needs a partner!"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I sure do love Gundam shows. Yep.

Fumina will probably be the driving force for me on this show. Sekai is funny, I'm sure he'll play off well with Yuuma, but Fumina's energy about everything is great. Also hilarious is her totally missing out on Yuuma's gushing over Mirai. Oh Fumina, you have a tall mountain to climb.:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

ImpAtom has always been a dude who is completely honest about his opinions, so I am p sure he is writing all this stuff because that's how he feels, not because of some really bizarre plan to get some sort of passive-aggressive revenge over the G-Reco thread.

The G-Reco Illuminati will not take this insult lying down, there wil be blood for this transgression, because that is totally a thing that is happenning instead of different people just sharing their honest opinions, haha.

People replied earlier but phonepost so: I think the after credits scene was comedic, and good for it, but the entire rest of the episode with its framing was setting up yuumas story as something genuine. It would have been really easy to spin it in a comedic fashion overtly, even just by having fuumina react to how silly he was being, but the development team made a conscious decision not to, and it drags the whole episode down.

Its mega easy to read it personally as farcical in nature, but I don't see any of the artistic intent in it.

More fuumina and hijinks, less of whatever that was in the future, hopefully.

• Locked thread