Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

JoshTheStampede posted:

I also find the BoW videos super condescending because Killian just repeats and restates everything Carlos says and it really comes off as translating for a dude who is already speaking English.

Restating what you think you just heard is pretty common, especially in technical communication. It lets Carlos know what Killian thinks he said, and Carlos can jump in and correct him on any points that has wrong. It works for the audience in that they hear the same thing twice, but stated differently, and if they don't think the statements match it means they are misunderstanding something.

Shotguns are now as good or better than HMGs or spitfires in a number of situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Mostly finished painting an Anathematic today. Pretty happy with how it turned out, especially considering that it's the model that sold me on the game and my faction of choice. May go back and add a few scratches and such, but maybe not.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

This is marginally on-topic, but are there any decent fantasy skirmish games at around the same scale/number of minis as Infinity?

e: ^^ yeah holy poo poo that's gorgeous dude

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That Anathematic is loving dope.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

S.J. posted:

This is marginally on-topic, but are there any decent fantasy skirmish games at around the same scale/number of minis as Infinity?

e: ^^ yeah holy poo poo that's gorgeous dude

Malifaux, perhaps?

(You should play Malifaux.)

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I really want that anathematic, but its so expensive pts wise and most people claim it isn't worth its pts.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The Anathematic is my favorite model in the while Infinity range, bar none. Someday I'll get one just to have it painted and feel good about myself.

On the table, he's the kind of model that is so dangerous that people will start making counter-lists, at which point his cost will quickly become not as tolerable.

But let's wait and see what N3 brings....

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:
So I JUST recently started playing Infinity and I am seriously digging it. I went with the Morat Aggression starter because I think the models are glorious.

My question for you vets may be difficult to answer really, but here goes. I love the new morat models, and I think a lot of the old ones really suck in comparison. I'm expanding my collection via the new line of morats first, but there are a lot of units I'd like that aren't redone yet.

Based on your experience, would you say any of the older models are going to be redone in the near future? I guess what I'm trying to decide is whether to
A - wait it out a few months since some people seem to assume they're all getting redone
B - just buy all the old models now because it's going to be a really long time before they get new minis
C - shut up and start collecting vanilla CA or some other faction

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

brother-joseph posted:

So I JUST recently started playing Infinity and I am seriously digging it. I went with the Morat Aggression starter because I think the models are glorious.

My question for you vets may be difficult to answer really, but here goes. I love the new morat models, and I think a lot of the old ones really suck in comparison. I'm expanding my collection via the new line of morats first, but there are a lot of units I'd like that aren't redone yet.

Based on your experience, would you say any of the older models are going to be redone in the near future? I guess what I'm trying to decide is whether to
A - wait it out a few months since some people seem to assume they're all getting redone
B - just buy all the old models now because it's going to be a really long time before they get new minis

Proxy until the new models drop. If you wait you could be waiting months.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

brother-joseph posted:

Pretty good chance they're all being redone in the excellent new style, but who knows when that'll happen. Good time to splash in some of the other sweet CA minis (like that dope rear end Anathematic).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

brother-joseph posted:

1. Wait for: Sogarat HMG, Suryats (there's a new Suryat HMG already though)
2. Possible resculpts soon-ish: Yaogats (Bostria(?) remarked that the new armor for Rodok would be used for Yaogat resculpts, so they are coming, but no date, probably months away)
3. Buy because who the gently caress knows: Everything else.

Also, digging into vanilla CA is good. Morat firepower, Shasvastii infiltrators, EI command.

CB releases stuff regularly but it will be at least 2 years until the whole Morat range gets redone.

(and they still haven't released the combi Aswang despite it being the default absolute best Shasvastii LT. No I'm not bitter why do you ask)

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 15, 2014

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I started shasvastii and moved to combined while I came to grips with the game. Playing the full combined gives you a lot of appreciation and feel for how the sectorals behave.

Plus EI and exrah stuff is really fun to play with.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:
Thanks for all the comments, guys, that's super helpful. CA looks like they have a lot of options that seem really fun to play with. The other races' models ARE actually really cool and I'm warming up to them. I think I will buy some things that look cool and go from there.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

brother-joseph posted:

Thanks for all the comments, guys, that's super helpful. CA looks like they have a lot of options that seem really fun to play with. The other races' models ARE actually really cool and I'm warming up to them. I think I will buy some things that look cool and go from there.

One of us! One of us! (I haven't played a single game with my CA yet)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
This is the place I'd post a detailed writeup of good & best CA units, but gently caress it, I've done it several times already so just filter my posts in this and the previous thread to find some :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Paper Kaiju posted:

Malifaux, perhaps?

(You should play Malifaux.)

The mechanics of that game are the only thing that even remotely interests me. I guess there are one or two factions that look cool though, but I was thinking more traditional fantasy than that.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

S.J. posted:

The mechanics of that game are the only thing that even remotely interests me. I guess there are one or two factions that look cool though, but I was thinking more traditional fantasy than that.

Weirdly enough there isn't really a traditional fantasy skirmish game in the 10-model per side range that Infinity and Malifaux live in.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
How about <30 models? As long as it's good and has pretty minis.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

Weirdly enough there isn't really a traditional fantasy skirmish game in the 10-model per side range that Infinity and Malifaux live in.

Yeah, the only thing that seems close is Mordheim, and, well, I like Mordheim but it's not the best.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, that's what I've found, so I figured I'd ask here. Does anyone else think that's weird? Because I think that's kind of weird.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Pierzak posted:

I don't know how much it has changed and I'll probably cop a lot of abuse for it but the GW Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game can be played skirmish size and surprisingly mostly has really solid rules. Minis are pretty but as far along the generic fantasy scale as you can get. Otherwise look at SAGA maybe.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The LotR skirmish game just uses the same basic rules as GWs other skirmish games like Mordheim, etc. It's not a bad game system but it's not super well made.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Actually it doesn't. Mordheim is based on Warhammer Fantasy 6e rules while LOTR is an evolved version of their historical Wild West game or something. Completely different stats and combat resolution.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

dishwasherlove posted:

Actually it doesn't. Mordheim is based on Warhammer Fantasy 6e rules while LOTR is an evolved version of their historical Wild West game or something. Completely different stats and combat resolution.

Other than the fate/might/will thing being the big difference, what else is different? I honestly don't remember the fundamentals being different at all.

e: I might be thinking of Gorkamorka rather than Mordheim actually

ee: Yeah I'm thinking of Gorkamorka rather than Mordheim

The stat names are pretty superficially different, it's actually the wounding chart that's the big difference in the LotR game from what I remember since equal values require 5+ instead of 4+, and LotR added in a push mechanic for winning fights and stuff

S.J. fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 15, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Would Saga fit the bill? It's not really fantasy, but the "powers" that the battle boards give you aren't really historical either.

Anglo Saxons
Vikings
Irish

Battle Report

I have a set of Normans and Vikings that my group scaled down to 6mm for cost savings and transportability. You can go 6mm, 10mm or the standard 28mm. 28mm isn't bad as you can get lots of plastic historical kits for cheap and your army will typically top out at 25-35 minis for 4 point games and 30-45 minis for 6 point games.

Some pics of my 6mm Normans (which I have since completed).

10 Crossbowmen
10 Spearmen
10 Archers
11 Cavalry
1 Long house
4 Pit houses

I have scaled the system from inches to centimeters for sake of expediency. The typical playing area is 48"x36" which for me would be 48cmX36cm.

I opted to go for a slightly larger board because I could.

To measure distance for movement and shooting I made this

Very short=2cm Short=4cm Medium=6cm Long=12cm

Foot troops move medium

So they can't reach these mounted troops

Cavalry move Long

So they can easily reach the spearmen.

Dirt Worshipper has a Viking force at 28mm.

Just a suggestion.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Pierzak posted:

Ill probably get flogged because animu, but Anima Tactics is actually a lot of fun and all of the characters are very different. the TnA isn't too bad either for you boob haters out there.

Back to Infinity, I sure hope they dont spend time re-sculpting everything, I have a retardedly huge collection, I dont need any reasons to rebuy something I already have.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

LumberingTroll posted:

Ill probably get flogged because animu, but Anima Tactics is actually a lot of fun and all of the characters are very different. the TnA isn't too bad either for you boob haters out there.

Back to Infinity, I sure hope they dont spend time re-sculpting everything, I have a retardedly huge collection, I dont need any reasons to rebuy something I already have.

I honestly never looked at the Anima Tactics miniature game because the RPG is so loving bad.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
There are a lot of low model fantasy skirmish games, it's just no one plays them. Bushido, Brushfire, Hell Dorado, Freebooter's Fate, Alkemy, Carnevale etc

Hell Dorado, Alkemy or Bushido are probably the closest in scale and style to Infinity/Malifaux.

Edit: Wrath of Kings if you want something new and shiny and less, uh, "European" feeling.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 15, 2014

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Pretty sure Corvus Belli need to get on their own anime fantasy skirmish game styled of Beserk or something. Infinity is clearly the best skirmish game for scratching that scifi itch.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
My group has speculated it could be pretty easily done with the core Infinity mechanics, bows and such at B2 with a low DAM and crossbows B1 with a higher DAM. Existing rules could work fine, and with lesser ranged weapons, CC might be viable.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mantic is supposed to be coming out with a fantasy version of Deadzone at some point.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Swagger Dagger posted:

Mantic is supposed to be coming out with a fantasy version of Deadzone at some point.

That's something I'm on board with. I wish I could've gotten in on the Dwarf King's Quest kickstarter, that looked right up my alley :(

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

El Estrago Bonito posted:

There are a lot of low model fantasy skirmish games, it's just no one plays them. Bushido, Brushfire, Hell Dorado, Freebooter's Fate, Alkemy, Carnevale etc

Hell Dorado, Alkemy or Bushido are probably the closest in scale and style to Infinity/Malifaux.

Edit: Wrath of Kings if you want something new and shiny and less, uh, "European" feeling.

Except for Wrath of Kings which I thought was army scale, the rest of those are pretty non traditional fantasy. It's samurai or pirates or steampunk, not like elves and dwarves and Knights which is what I assumed he was asking for.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
A Song of Blades and Heroes is dirt cheap and designed to be generic (so you can use WHFB, Lord of the Rings, whatever models you like).

I've played it with ~10 models a side and it works pretty well, it has a push your luck mechanic for generating order pools (roll 1-3 d6, if you get too many failures your turn ends, each success is an order for the activating model.)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yep, traditional fantasy, warriors and wizards and monsters, preferably with actually balanced rules instead of "here's something that we thought looks cool, hope it works for you" (Infinity spoiled me :(). LotR is out because gently caress GW, I'm not supporting that company. Saga is historical(-ish) and too big for my tastes. Besides, I already have a Viking warband :v: Anima Tactics looked OK until I started reading about no support, also everthing being a special unique character doesn't grab me. Dark Age looks nice and with a neat fantasy-post-apoc twist, Godslayer seems fun, I'll also have to try some of the titles you mentioned like Brushfire or Alkemy. And I totally forgot about SoB&H :doh:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Bob Smith posted:

A Song of Blades and Heroes is dirt cheap and designed to be generic (so you can use WHFB, Lord of the Rings, whatever models you like).

I've played it with ~10 models a side and it works pretty well, it has a push your luck mechanic for generating order pools (roll 1-3 d6, if you get too many failures your turn ends, each success is an order for the activating model.)
This sounds like some skirmish game I saw played in a side room at the last WMH tourney I went to. Even had Minotaurs and stuff, they guys playing gave us a brief rundown on it, but since you roll to activate each model you can get really screwed with dice rolls. I'm not sure it's the same game or not, but it sounds similar.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
There is also Freebooter's fate and Freeblades. Freebooters is fantasy, with a bit of pirate flavor.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I just had to triple-check which thread this was. :raise:

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
After watching the template video, it appears that template scatter might not be a thing in N3. Unless there is a big shakeup in the speculative fire rules, a model with grenades or a grenade launcher and orders to burn can pretty much takes out models with relative impunity. Move out and back in without provoking an ARO, then place a speculative template. Either they dodge it or they don't, but they can't shoot back. If you don't get them, then you don't have to worry about it getting caught in the wind and flying half way across the table and randomly killing your own guy.

Edit: not that any of that seems like a bad thing. Killing bad guys 101: pin them and then have a dude walk over and toss grenades at them until they are dead.

Cyclomatic fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 16, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pierzak posted:

Yep, traditional fantasy, warriors and wizards and monsters, preferably with actually balanced rules instead of "here's something that we thought looks cool, hope it works for you" (Infinity spoiled me :(). LotR is out because gently caress GW, I'm not supporting that company. Saga is historical(-ish) and too big for my tastes. Besides, I already have a Viking warband :v: Anima Tactics looked OK until I started reading about no support, also everthing being a special unique character doesn't grab me. Dark Age looks nice and with a neat fantasy-post-apoc twist, Godslayer seems fun, I'll also have to try some of the titles you mentioned like Brushfire or Alkemy. And I totally forgot about SoB&H :doh:

I have also been recently trying out Iron and Honor which is a generic fantasy skirmish system that is fairly modular and pretty balanced. Alkemy is a very cool game, it was basically made to pick up the fallen crown of Confrontation when that went under. It however is loving impossible to get support for in not-French which is annoying. The rulebook is free however so you can peruse it: http://pj.b5z.net/i/u/2042237/f/Alkemy_Genesis-THE_BOOK.pdf and this guy has the cards in English: http://alkemynicoleblond.free.fr/english-version/khaliman-uk.html

Unfortunately I don't think the company really has any intent of making it available beyond France right now which is sad. Hell Dorado was in a similar place but then a new company picked it up so we can only hope the fan community keeps translating stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Cyclomatic posted:

After watching the template video, it appears that template scatter might not be a thing in N3. Unless there is a big shakeup in the speculative fire rules, a model with grenades or a grenade launcher and orders to burn can pretty much takes out models with relative impunity. Move out and back in without provoking an ARO, then place a speculative template. Either they dodge it or they don't, but they can't shoot back. If you don't get them, then you don't have to worry about it getting caught in the wind and flying half way across the table and randomly killing your own guy.

Edit: not that any of that seems like a bad thing. Killing bad guys 101: pin them and then have a dude walk over and toss grenades at them until they are dead.

Wait, did they change speculative to not a full order now?

• Locked thread