Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sancho posted:

Game will not grow until they simplify the "voxelmancer" bullshit & not require new players to study a loving youtube course to make an arch.

The game will not grow until we have some actual information on what we're building all this poo poo for. They really need to be releasing some concrete information on the flow of the actual gameplay and not the NPC behavior bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

DeathSandwich posted:

The game will not grow until we have some actual information on what we're building all this poo poo for. They really need to be releasing some concrete information on the flow of the actual gameplay and not the NPC behavior bullshit.

I thought the NPC behavior stuff and actual 'gameplay' were all parts of Everquest Next, and Landmark was just 'build stuff'.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Kelp Plankton posted:

I thought the NPC behavior stuff and actual 'gameplay' were all parts of Everquest Next, and Landmark was just 'build stuff'.

They are using the game to develop EQN and have talked about allowing people to build their own dungeons and give people access to some scripting..

With that being said they are fleshing out combat a bit more https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/update-notes-10-15-14.49225/ hopefully it won't be a bunny hop fest any more..

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Doggir posted:

allowing people to build their own dungeons and give people access to some scripting..

I like this idea, even though it didn't really help City of Heroes/Villains or Neverwinter Online.

This game needs a graphic overhaul, too.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If it's anything like Skyrim player content, you'll have a handful of guys who come up with a bunch of imaginative and fun dungeons, and then everyone else.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I like this idea, even though it didn't really help City of Heroes/Villains or Neverwinter Online.

This game needs a graphic overhaul, too.

The problem with create a dungeon is that 90% of the dungeons that will get made will be unfun "grind x" dungeons that border on exploitation. You'll have to be actively curating what people make to keep the low effort horseshit out of the general population.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

Have you looked into the Workshops? The poll for the Dwarf or Ogre Workshop is about to go up.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

DeathSandwich posted:

The problem with create a dungeon is that 90% of the dungeons that will get made will be unfun "grind x" dungeons that border on exploitation. You'll have to be actively curating what people make to keep the low effort horseshit out of the general population.

I think that's probably the idea in this case, where people build things in Landmark and then the developers can pick and choose what's appropriate for EQN itself, since they're separate things.

That way they can let people have their lovely exploit-filled grindfests in Landmark but the real game doesn't have to deal with it, and they can just pluck whatever player-made content ends up being legitimately good and place it in EQN. Like a pipeline set up to make mods official with relative ease, ala TF2/Dota2 Steam Workshop.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

I think that's probably the idea in this case, where people build things in Landmark and then the developers can pick and choose what's appropriate for EQN itself, since they're separate things.

That way they can let people have their lovely exploit-filled grindfests in Landmark but the real game doesn't have to deal with it, and they can just pluck whatever player-made content ends up being legitimately good and place it in EQN. Like a pipeline set up to make mods official with relative ease, ala TF2/Dota2 Steam Workshop.

That's pretty much what has happened here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gJgZDZdnHc

Almost all of the buildings / design elements were made during the Dark Elf Workshop by players, and you can identify some of the parts of the submissions.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think this is a key for 1-week access to the closed beta? I dunno.

ERTJ-KPZ9-NHNH-GUVR-9AX6

ne: From the Humble Bundle.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

Mehuyael posted:

I think this is a key for 1-week access to the closed beta? I dunno.

ERTJ-KPZ9-NHNH-GUVR-9AX6

ne: From the Humble Bundle.

Grabbed it. I've been interested and wanted to try this out so it's the perfect opportunity. Thanks!

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
Are the joinable co-op plots working yet?

Last time I tried to put my plot down next to my buddies it would not let us make it right next to each other. I want to be able to join our structures together on the edge of our plots.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Vulcan posted:

Are the joinable co-op plots working yet?

Last time I tried to put my plot down next to my buddies it would not let us make it right next to each other. I want to be able to join our structures together on the edge of our plots.
I think they purposely want to keep plots from doing this else people would make giant map covering hellholes and render sections of the game unusable.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

1 week Beta key.

4PEE-X4KE-XHHM-294G-6TG6

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
So I remembered today that I was given a free beta key I was given and decided to give it a try. So is there any sort of presence for goons in general, or am I going to be on my own while I wander around this big boring world?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
You're pretty much on your own. Feel free to visit MY HOUSE in adventure - bay, it's right next to the portal.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
I'm playing this pretty much every day as my only game - GONDOR ingame, you can search my place in the gallery / friends me. Witness my sperg.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
I just picked up this game if anyone wants to friend me my name is WhodaThunkit. I don't remember where I put down my claim, I'll probably move at some point I just wanted to goof around a bit with the tools before starting anything.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Are there any redeeming qualities to this game yet? I feel like a sucker for having bought in at the founder level and not asking for a refund back when.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Hu Fa Ted posted:

Are there any redeeming qualities to this game yet? I feel like a sucker for having bought in at the founder level and not asking for a refund back when.

I'm in the same boat as you. Not really. I've been actively trying to get back into this by getting more active on social media, watching twitch videos, and so on. It's still just a building simulator that really isn't all that different from what we were shown nearly two years ago.

I mean, they added caves. And uh, some items. And some combat capabilities without anything to kill.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

joshtothemaxx posted:

I'm in the same boat as you. Not really. I've been actively trying to get back into this by getting more active on social media, watching twitch videos, and so on. It's still just a building simulator that really isn't all that different from what we were shown nearly two years ago.

I mean, they added caves. And uh, some items. And some combat capabilities without anything to kill.

You can kind of kill other people?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

64bitrobot posted:

You can kind of kill other people?

If you could ever find anyone else.

Jubilee3rd
Dec 12, 2003

joshtothemaxx posted:

Yep. I'm still following the development but rarely login unless a new feature gets implemented. I'm looking forward to NPCs being added later this month or next but even that will last me a few hours.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
They started their hype train way too early.

Dash Nine
Jun 20, 2003

Rawk.

Harettazetta posted:

Next Stop! Corner of World of Warcraft and Minecraft Ave. in the town of Qeynos.

Dash Nine fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 2, 2014

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Harettazetta posted:

This times a million.

I was really excited to play around with this when it first came out and actually paid the idiot fee to get into the alpha. Most boring few hours I ever spent in a game, wandering over the same generic landscapes gathering the same blobs of poo poo from the ground so I can get a better pick axe... oh... fun... (yes I know this is 100% what minecraft is).

It feels like nothing interesting enough to make me play more has been added in... well... a year?

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

joshtothemaxx posted:

They really need to just let you teleport to people's claims to PVP.

One time of trekking around only to have everyone stop playing and work on their building when I got there was enough.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Spiky Ooze posted:

They really need to just let you teleport to people's claims to PVP.

One time of trekking around only to have everyone stop playing and work on their building when I got there was enough.

I think you can if their claim is in the gallery. Also apparently you can teleport to friends?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

X-ing the "too early hype train" note. I too paid for alpha like a dope. I also watched all their kickin' rad videos from 2 years ago on the clock at work completely excited (much like I was for EQ2 a decade ago). Now, it's just tedious. I am so tired of this early access crap. It's neat seeing under the hood, but after a certain point I'm like "drat just let me play a complete loving game for once."

Their twitch videos are pretty cool though.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

joshtothemaxx posted:

X-ing the "too early hype train" note. I too paid for alpha like a dope. I also watched all their kickin' rad videos from 2 years ago on the clock at work completely excited (much like I was for EQ2 a decade ago). Now, it's just tedious. I am so tired of this early access crap. It's neat seeing under the hood, but after a certain point I'm like "drat just let me play a complete loving game for once."

Their twitch videos are pretty cool though.

Then wait for the game to actually release then? I don't know what to tell you but it's not like they tricked you. They were very up front with what you were buying. They said it will be a long time before the game is near a release state. You are getting access to something earlier than what you should be. Hell, there was even a non-skippable video when you first fired up Alpha telling you so. They were giving refunds weeks after Alpha release for people who realized this wasn't what they wanted.

To complain a year later that when Sony said years you didn't actually think they meant years is on you guys.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

jabro posted:

Then wait for the game to actually release then? I don't know what to tell you but it's not like they tricked you. They were very up front with what you were buying. They said it will be a long time before the game is near a release state. You are getting access to something earlier than what you should be. Hell, there was even a non-skippable video when you first fired up Alpha telling you so. They were giving refunds weeks after Alpha release for people who realized this wasn't what they wanted.

To complain a year later that when Sony said years you didn't actually think they meant years is on you guys.

I think the issue is that by saying the alpha started in Feb 2014 and the beta was going to begin in March 2014 they implied that the game was a lot closer to being finished than it turned out to be. I would argue in terms of development it still should be considered an alpha. They aren't even sure what they want to do with the game yet.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Something resembling gameplay is coming in december, according to their current blueprint, which is missing a lot of its long-term goals now. Monsters, health/energy progression, actual armor/weapons to choose from, and the caves will go all the way down.

I wish I had saved their previous blueprints. I get the feeling someone showed them how far the hype train left and now everyone's scrambling to put an actual game in.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

Something resembling gameplay is coming in december, according to their current blueprint, which is missing a lot of its long-term goals now. Monsters, health/energy progression, actual armor/weapons to choose from, and the caves will go all the way down.

I wish I had saved their previous blueprints. I get the feeling someone showed them how far the hype train left and now everyone's scrambling to put an actual game in.

This sounds completely plausible just based on the general sentiment in this thread, everyone is to blase about this game to actually give enough of a poo poo to log in because it's loving boring to the tenth degree.

At least in minecraft you find cool poo poo while you dig and it doesn't require you to have 500 of rare ore type, which only comes out of something like 5% of all the ore, to build a new shovel so you can build a new hammer which also requires said ore so that you can build a new widget which needs more rare ore so that you can build a crafting table to make more rare widgets with even more rare ore.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ModeSix posted:

This sounds completely plausible just based on the general sentiment in this thread, everyone is to blase about this game to actually give enough of a poo poo to log in because it's loving boring to the tenth degree.

At least in minecraft you find cool poo poo while you dig and it doesn't require you to have 500 of rare ore type, which only comes out of something like 5% of all the ore, to build a new shovel so you can build a new hammer which also requires said ore so that you can build a new widget which needs more rare ore so that you can build a crafting table to make more rare widgets with even more rare ore.

Minecraft has cool machines you can build, even unmodded. I kind of had hopes the game would be like minecraft with widgets eventually but easier to make actually rounded things. Turns out to make anything of a reasonable size you need to farm so much poo poo its even more insane then minecraft. What I need to be able to do is build a pulley system and make an elevator. It needs some redstone like thing, nothing like the CPU crushing insanity of and and or gates to the extreme Minecraft does it, but well enough that I could realistically build something with giant custom crafted doors that work. I make the object outline it and say this responds to this.

I want to make a massive boulder that when I solve a puzzle moves, and I've defined and made all the pieces of the puzzle, hell you don't even need redstone give a programmable interface with a basic scripting language. I don't want to wait for the devs to release said objects I should be able to make them. And because their is code and a design in it it would probably be marketable on their player market making SoE money.

Don't want to program a rock that moves after solving how to get checkmate in 3 moves on a chess board? Download the movable rock and set the trigger to the chess puzzle you downloaded. I could see a simple UI Rock has "trigger" and maybe a "chain" (so you can do something else with it maybe move multiple doors) click "trigger" things in the acceptable range with a free "activates" slot show up and you select them. I mean you could be boring and use a lever but I mean we are building an MMO right? That's what they promised? Let us create a dungeon.

Give me enough tools that I could realistically use your engine to recreate an (S)NES RPG.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

There isn't an EQ Next thread is there? Has there been any news recently? What year are we looking at in terms of release expectations?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

RCarr posted:

There isn't an EQ Next thread is there? Has there been any news recently? What year are we looking at in terms of release expectations?

I think the dedicated EQ Next thread has fallen into archives, so this is it. Word on the actual game proper is still basically nil aside from "Sometime next year". I really wanted to be excited for it, but the big talking they did when it was first announced followed by next to nothing substantial on how it actually plays for the next year and a half has led me to believe that this is going to suffer from Peter Molyneux syndrome and completely fail to live up to it's initial hype machine.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah I got all hyped as well. Hopefully it's still something special when it finally drops.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

DeathSandwich posted:

I think the dedicated EQ Next thread has fallen into archives, so this is it. Word on the actual game proper is still basically nil aside from "Sometime next year". I really wanted to be excited for it, but the big talking they did when it was first announced followed by next to nothing substantial on how it actually plays for the next year and a half has led me to believe that this is going to suffer from Peter Molyneux syndrome and completely fail to live up to it's initial hype machine.

Pretty much. Shoulda just kept the 'Everquest 3' version and called it a day, at this point.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I can't see them releasing EQ Next with the name "Everquest Next" anymore. They burned that name with Landmark and all the confusion around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sony seems big on the hype early hype train recently. It just fizzles out if the alpha / beta are too long unless the alpha / beta are about balance (see recent Blizzard games where they basically have people streaming for 6 months with low access for the public). If there isn't content that is solid you end up killing the hype train, if you gate everything behind NDAs and limited access and the content isn't solid you end up with... whatever the hell this is.

Even if Landmark ends up as a better minecraft it's not going to reach the popularity it should because of the lack of direction and lack of being well a game before alpha started. It's like they made the public Alpha what an internal Alpha should be, which isn't a good idea most of the time.

• Locked thread