Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

Yo Richmond is just like that without all the lovely weather. I really liked GR and everyone for sure made the most of it there but god drat did they pick a horrible spot.

I guess the best way to put it is for Michigan, it's pretty dope.

I think me and my wife are going to stay in Michigan due to the huge amount of SE jobs here, and the fact that all of her family is here and South Carolina and afaik SC has little to no SE jobs in Charleston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

I lived in Grand Rapids MI for 4 years. It's a place with 100" of snowfall on average and ~270 days of the year are completely overcast. I heard "At least it's not Ohio" a lot.

I lived in GD Rapids for 4 months from Sep 99 to Jan 00 to setup an ISP with a friend before I had enough of its poo poo and came back to CA.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You'd think 2 years later they'd make a battery for the galaxy S3 with higher capacity than the original, but I guess battery tech doesn't improve that quickly especially when the manufacturers just want you to buy a new one.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

You'd think 2 years later they'd make a battery for the galaxy S3 with higher capacity than the original, but I guess battery tech doesn't improve that quickly especially when the manufacturers just want you to buy a new one.

http://www.amazon.com/warranty-ZeroLemon-Extended-Protection-Compatible/dp/B00AKZWGAC

Ah-hem.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Fucknag posted:

http://zerolemon.com/product-category/samsung/galaxy-s3/page/2/

What about these?

Edit: loving beaten

Edit edit:

I have a zero lemon high capacity in my GS4 and charge it on my night stand every night. With the stock battery that came with the phone I'd kill the phone in a day. With this one I can usually get away with 40% left. That is due to the extra capacity and the newer battery having fresher life.

No issues no fires *knocks on wood desk*

Slow is Fast fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 15, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I've got a Zero Lemon in my S4 as well. Works awesome, and usually about the same, if I use it all day on 4G LTE, I still have 40-45% at the end of the day.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I have to get one of those. My S4 is toast after a few hours at work while it continuously connects and reconnects to 4G.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

They're dirt cheap too. Right off amazon.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

God damnit. I really need to stop engaging morons on Facebook. Along with Birthers, Tea Partiers, and POST THIS OR YOU WILL DIE TOMORROW the Ebola fearing crowd is about the worst.

Yes, all 6 (if even that) people that are infected with the ebola is going to cause a massive outbreak, even though the flu, rabies and other viruses kill far more people and are already wide spread. Its not like the ebola isn't spread through the air. It is spread through intimate contact (how the nurses in Dallas were infected by touching bodily fluids and not following proper hazmat procedures) :rolleyes:

You know people keep bitching that "there's no WAY ebola can POSSIBLY spread in the USA!!!" and then lo and behold these idiots keep catching it and spreading it around. I'd prefer people be cautious and look into the issue instead of just ignoring it. Maybe it will lead to some good being done elsewhere if we educate ourselves about it here. I know that's not going to happen and people will go all Nancy Grace shouting EBOLA!!! but ... a man can dream.

Personally I have no idea why regular nurses are allowed anywhere near these infected people. Put someone specifically trained to deal with the guy on duty until it's a non-issue.I get that it's difficult to identify who the infected guy contacted before he got diagnosed but it's an easy thing to contain once you identify who has it with the resources we have in the US. It blows my mind we gently caress it up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I can't wait until every hypochondriac in the country assumes they have ebola and panics during flu season. That's gonna be great.

Then they will all go to the ER and vastly increase their chances of actually running into one of the half dozen people who have it.

This has all the ingredients for a mass hysteria comprised entirely of retards and people who think they know more than they do.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

I have to get one of those. My S4 is toast after a few hours at work while it continuously connects and reconnects to 4G.

With average usage.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I just had a guy break down outside my house. He rang my doorbell asking for a number for a taxi.

He got a diagnosis of his overheating E46, an estimated cost, and garage recommendation to go with it.

:feelsgood:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Goober Peas posted:

Tussy Talk makes a good post. Mark this day on a calendar, folks.

He's been a pretty chill dude for a while now. Unless I missed something while I was gone.

Goober Peas posted:

In all seriousness - I feel for you Rhyno, but as pointed out - you spend a lot of time and energy trying to control other people - and it's time and energy that could be spent controlling your own life.

I just want to roll away from this drama but I swear to god it's infected my soul.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

InitialDave posted:

I just had a guy break down outside my house. He rang my doorbell asking for a number for a taxi.

He got a diagnosis of his overheating E46, an estimated cost, and garage recommendation to go with it.

I came home one day to find a Wrangler parked in front of my house with the owner pouring a water bottle in the radiator. Dragged my hose out and filled it up; drat thing was nearly empty, and it was hissing steam as I filled it up, probably put like 2 full gallons in. :ohdear: Told them to take it to a shop if it overheated again to check for leaks (which I didn't see any, but it could have been a heater core or something), but OTOH it was a 4.0 so it'd probably run for years bone-dry.

I've seen those extended phone batteries, nice but a lot more expensive than stock battery, and I don't feel like bulking my phone up that much. Stock battery life was fine for me anyway, it's just so worn out that I get maybe a couple hours out of it off the charger at the moment; it's not even draining normally, the screen will just flicker and the phone dies at like 25% indicated charge, then if I let it sit and turn it back on it'll read like 40%. Just needs replaced, I just thought they'd make a higher-capacity one in the stock size by now. (plus I think I'm up for renewal around February so I just need something to hold me over til then.)

And yeah, the biggest threat from Ebola in the US is people fearing high premiums and staying home/not getting diagnosed. Chances are pretty good at the hospital if it's caught early enough (or so it seems), but most people won't get that far.

E:

Rhyno posted:

He's been a pretty chill dude for a while now. Unless I missed something while I was gone.

Honestly it's mostly inertia from his first impression, that takes a while to wear off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

I've seen those extended phone batteries, nice but a lot more expensive than stock battery, and I don't feel like bulking my phone up that much. Stock battery life was fine for me anyway, it's just so worn out that I get maybe a couple hours out of it off the charger at the moment; it's not even draining normally, the screen will just flicker and the phone dies at like 25% indicated charge, then if I let it sit and turn it back on it'll read like 40%. Just needs replaced, I just thought they'd make a higher-capacity one in the stock size by now. (plus I think I'm up for renewal around February so I just need something to hold me over til then.)

....I mean no offense, but you want a larger capacity battery without paying more than your stock capacity battery?

Then no, you won't find a higher capacity battery than what you already have, because of COURSE you have to pay more for more cells.

But it's only $40 bucks for a triple capacity battery than your stock one.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

....I mean no offense, but you want a larger capacity battery without paying more than your stock capacity battery?

Then no, you won't find a higher capacity battery than what you already have, because of COURSE you have to pay more for more cells.

But it's only $40 bucks for a triple capacity battery than your stock one.

Not so much the price itself, I'd pay that much for a battery if it were the stock size.

E: And like I said I'm getting a new phone in a few months so why not save a few bucks now and get a big battery for that when the time comes?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I don't mind my 5C, but drat I wish I could get a larger capacity battery to chuck in it. I'm sitting at 1% battery charge and it isn't even 4pm yet. I have been fairly busy with the phone today, but even with mild usage I have to plug it in almost as soon as I get home at 5.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

It wasn't me.

Had someone else view the house, they like it but want me to take it off the market until they're in a position to make an offer, could be a week, could be 12 months. They won't say what that offer is. This is worse than eBay.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

InitialDave posted:

But no taxi? You're a right bastard.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Fucknag posted:

Not so much the price itself, I'd pay that much for a battery if it were the stock size.

E: And like I said I'm getting a new phone in a few months so why not save a few bucks now and get a big battery for that when the time comes?

Anker sells batteries that are 200-300mah higher capacity than stock, on amazon. I've used them in my current S3 and they don't have the long term life that the OEM batteries do, but they were better than the 1.5 year old stock battery at that point.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

But no taxi? You're a right bastard.

(Yes, in addition to the taxi number)

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Terrible Robot posted:

I don't mind my 5C, but drat I wish I could get a larger capacity battery to chuck in it. I'm sitting at 1% battery charge and it isn't even 4pm yet. I have been fairly busy with the phone today, but even with mild usage I have to plug it in almost as soon as I get home at 5.

Turn off background app refresh for applications you don't use often - especially Facebook.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Baller Witness Bro posted:

You know people keep bitching that "there's no WAY ebola can POSSIBLY spread in the USA!!!" and then lo and behold these idiots keep catching it and spreading it around. I'd prefer people be cautious and look into the issue instead of just ignoring it. Maybe it will lead to some good being done elsewhere if we educate ourselves about it here. I know that's not going to happen and people will go all Nancy Grace shouting EBOLA!!! but ... a man can dream.

Personally I have no idea why regular nurses are allowed anywhere near these infected people. Put someone specifically trained to deal with the guy on duty until it's a non-issue.I get that it's difficult to identify who the infected guy contacted before he got diagnosed but it's an easy thing to contain once you identify who has it with the resources we have in the US. It blows my mind we gently caress it up.

Cash rules everything around me, dolla dolla bills ya'll

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Lightbulb Out posted:

Turn off background app refresh for applications you don't use often - especially Facebook.

Shiiiit, I completely forgot about that, thanks. :downs: It's probably snapchat and yik-yak bringing down the battery life since I don't bookface, and thinking back it was around the time I installed snapchat that I started noticing the battery issue.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Snapchat is the worst written app, especially for people that used to work on Android itself. For shame.

In other news, I discovered something about Massachusetts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvUMV1N7eGM

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 222 days!)

Geirskogul posted:

Snapchat is the worst written app, especially for people that used to work on Android itself. For shame.

In other news, I discovered something about Massachusetts

What did the Chickadee say?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Holy gently caress. A real tool box is the most amazing thing in the world. I am so glad to be rid of this lovely rear end craftsman box. But I only bought the bottom and I am still using the craftsman top. But I figure in time I can replace the top and get the side cabinet.

The only reason I bought the this over the HF model 41" is this had a life time warranty, and double ball slides bearing on the top shelf and triple ball bearing slides for the bottom shelf.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I'm like the only non-medical professional in two families of doctors and nurses. my brother-in-law (european) is a doc in Spain and is working directly with the ebola task force there.

the things I keep hearing from them and especially him:

one, ebola is incredibly unforgiving of fuckups because the seriously sick people who require direct care have an unbelievably high viral load. The conditions under which ebola can spread are very, very limited but if those conditions are met it WILL spread. health care professionals are seriously the only people at risk in the West, but the risk they face is astronomical.

two, the protective gear almost all medical institutions have is not designed for situations this "unforgiving". while they provide entirely adequate protection when worn, there's major issues with removing them. that's when infection is taking place. you need suits more akin to what you would wear when handling a volatile neurotoxin like sarin, or a much more complicated post-removal procedure than anybody envisioned.

three, training in this kind of biosafety is seriously non-trivial and there are very few "real" doctors and nurses who have had it, much less any experience, as opposed to the very small number of generally non-practising research scientists and doctors who do high-level biohazard stuff regularly. even the people *doing* the training in both civilian and military environments have rarely, if ever, had to work for extended periods under these conditions. You can simulate going through the processes, and they do, but you can't simulate working like that for days on end. You think there must be someone else who could do this (this is a common American thing, you think somewhere there must be a military or Ivy League A-Team), but there simply isn't, or if there is it's like four people. what you're seeing in Spain and the US are people and organizations getting this experience the hard way.

The car analogy would be passing your driver's test three years ago, driving for two hours once a year since then, and then suddenly having to drive a shift at LeMans at night in the rain.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 222 days!)

Well, I broke down and killed a Sharpie to make a Ford Quick Disconnect tool, since the one from the local shop wasn't even close to being correct, and I'll be damned if I'm going to buy one of the worthless metal ones to use twice in my life.

Long story short, I think there is a possibility that this was the original fuel filter from 1996, 150k later. :stonklol: The amount of weathering on it sure looked like it could be, and it was Motorcraft branded, rather than NAPA BRANDED :patriot: like everything else that has aftermarket replacement parts on it. I may just cut it open to see just how sludged it is.

E: Nope. Just checked the warranty/maint booklet. Last replacement of the fuel filter was at 122k, in 2008. :catstare:

Boy, it sure seems to like the new WIX filter.

I'm trying to do everything else that isn't the rear regulator on the 9-5. It really looks like a huge pain in the rear end, and its too drat cold.

Raluek posted:

I'm pretty sure those are "quick connect", not so much disconnect. As you are finding out.

Sorry, I didn't put that in italics. I forgot that sarcasm is still undefined in web 3.0. :q:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 16, 2014

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I'm pretty sure those are "quick connect", not so much disconnect. As you are finding out.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
The worst quick connects I dealt with were on a bmw powered range rover. what a pain in the loving oval office. too small for a normal tool so you'd have to buy the special loving unicorn one from a bmw dealer.

I farmed every one of those out to someone-loving-else.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Holy poo poo my appetite has come back. Big time. I've already put on 7 pounds again.

Liquid Communism posted:

No short term disibility? That sucks buttermilk. :smith:

Aw, that's adorable. The only "benefit" I get at work is taking home a free pizza now and then.

I'm the only non-manager at work that actually has medical insurance, and it's only because I bought my own through the marketplace.

I'm not authorized to return to work for a week thanks to a rather large script for benzos (with refills :stare: ), so I'm gonna use the downtime (once I get some more energy) to do some job hunting.

I'm slowly gonna try and catch up on the threads

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Holy gently caress. A real tool box is the most amazing thing in the world. I am so glad to be rid of this lovely rear end craftsman box. But I only bought the bottom and I am still using the craftsman top. But I figure in time I can replace the top and get the side cabinet.

The only reason I bought the this over the HF model 41" is this had a life time warranty, and double ball slides bearing on the top shelf and triple ball bearing slides for the bottom shelf.

What did you buy?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

I'm not authorized to return to work for a week thanks to a rather large script for benzos (with refills :stare: ), so I'm gonna use the downtime (once I get some more energy) to do some job hunting.
Lemme know if you need some resume help.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Fucknag posted:

Honestly it's mostly inertia from his first impression, that takes a while to wear off.

There's making a first impression, then there's making a Tusen Takk. :smuggo:

In all fairness, he is pretty chill these days and is making reasonable contributions.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Goober Peas posted:

In all fairness, he is pretty chill these days and is making reasonable contributions.

In all fairness, I cannot argue with that statement. Even though I want to. :mad:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

In all fairness, I cannot argue with that statement. Even though I want to. :mad:

Everybody grows up eventually.

Maybe someday I will too.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The CDC labs that research this poo poo are off the scale for safety. Full-body positive pressure hazmat suits with external air supply, with anti-pathogen showers both before suiting up, and before and after removing the suit (once for the suit, once for the body after the suit's off). Wouldn't surprise me if all ventilation went through high-power germicidal lamps, too. I specifically remember one bit about how, when studying brain tissue from test animals, they used scalpels and essentially giant crab-crackers to break the skull open, because the spray of infected tissues from using a bone saw would be too great a safety hazard.

I doubt there's more than a handful of hospitals nationwide that are equipped that well for research, nevermind caring for affected patients. I'm less than surprised that health workers are starting to get infected.

They really do need to call in the big guns for this one.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Been eating like a loving horse.

Just started getting shaky (and with the amount of Librium I'm on, there's no way I should be shaky), so I checked my blood sugar.

I've never seen the glucose monitor start flashing in big red letters "HIGH BLOOD SUGAR" before (it was in the 270s). :stare: I restarted my metformin today, while being on insulin in the hospital (they said they don't like to give metformin while you're inpatient for some reason), so hopefully it'll stabilize in a few days. I've been eating like a drat horse for 3 days, and had massive cravings for Pepsi, so that might have a tiny bit to do with it.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Lemme know if you need some resume help.

I definitely do. I paid someone on Craigslist to write this resume 10 years ago, and just kind of added to it over the years. It's uh... not exactly polished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

some texas redneck posted:

Been eating like a loving horse.

I've never seen the glucose monitor start flashing in big red letters "HIGH BLOOD SUGAR" before (it was in the 270s).

The first thing that came to mind.

I'm glad you're ok.

• Locked thread