Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Could on doesn't see race, and he's not a sexist who stares at boobs, so the disguise worked great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

johntfs posted:

Hell, the last episode of Castle featured a "cloaking" suit as a plot point in a murder and that show takes place in the "real" world.

That show also had a time traveler, so I'm not sure how "real" it should be considered.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

mikeraskol posted:

The thought of you getting frustrated at cool stuff happening because you think there is a small foundational detail missing is getting me frustrated.

Ha ha. I still enjoyed the episode, and I was willing to write it off in the moment as "an informant" because, y'know, SHIELD. Even without giant surveillance platforms, they should be hip enough to know what's going on. But once the episode was over, all bets were off, so of course it was my own stupid mistake.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

OptimusWang posted:

That show also had a time traveler, so I'm not sure how "real" it should be considered.

Also phasers.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

More talk from Hunter about his ex this week. She's definitely going to be someone (and I still think that someone is Mockingbird).

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Maybe she'll turn out to be a literal soulsucking devil woman and he'll be like "drat guys I mentioned this several times"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pwnstar posted:

Maybe she'll turn out to be a literal soulsucking devil woman and he'll be like "drat guys I mentioned this several times"

Satana confirmed.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Also phasers.

I can forgive the star trek/comicon episode because it was awesome, but yeah phasers, lynchpin, memory wipes, etc all push it into sci-if.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

OptimusWang posted:

I can forgive the star trek/comicon episode because it was awesome, but yeah phasers, lynchpin, memory wipes, etc all push it into sci-if.

Even so, Castle generally sticks to stuff that's (barely) plausible in the real world. Even with the time traveler, there's still plenty of room for him being a stealthy nutcase. Even the "invisibility suit" from the last episode is just a couple steps up from these things.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 15, 2014

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bruceski posted:

How many more episodes do we get before winter hiatus (and Agent Carter yaaaay)?

We have 9 more episodes left, then Agent Carter happens in January. Then the final 13 episodes come after that.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

You know, Agent Poots got the alien juice as well, I wonder why she's not going crazy and why Coulson doesn't seem concerned putting her on the job to study the writing.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Potsticker posted:

You know, Agent Poots got the alien juice as well, I wonder why she's not going crazy and why Coulson doesn't seem concerned putting her on the job to study the writing.

Because of her lineage.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Potsticker posted:

You know, Agent Poots got the alien juice as well, I wonder why she's not going crazy

Probably because of whatever makes her 084.

quote:

and why Coulson doesn't seem concerned putting her on the job to study the writing.

Probably because she isn't going nuts like Coulson.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 15, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Coulson doesn't know amy of that though, right? I mean no specifics other than being an 084 and her parents being monsters that attacked a village.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Strabo4 posted:

It is a thing of beauty.

ed: dropkick

Ming-Na Wen will always be Chung-Li and the world is a better place because of it. May vs. May was incredible.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Strabo4 posted:

It is a thing of beauty.

It's difficult to tell because of the lighting and the hair flying everywhere (which is kinda the point since at least one of them is a stuntwoman), but do you know if Ming-Na does her own stunts?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bruceski posted:

It's difficult to tell because of the lighting and the hair flying everywhere (which is kinda the point since at least one of them is a stuntwoman), but do you know if Ming-Na does her own stunts?

I noticed a couple of obvious stunt double wig shots in the close ups but beyond that it was really hard to tell.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

johntfs posted:

Even so, Castle generally sticks to stuff that's (barely) plausible in the real world. Even with the time traveler, there's still plenty of room for him being a stealthy nutcase. Even the "invisibility suit" from the last episode is just a couple steps up from these things.

Those suits are made out of a fabric that's the same pattern as the carpet. They got in deep poo poo from the con staff because they were offering to sell them.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The fight scenes look great because this episode was directed by Kevin Tancharoen who worked on Mortal Kombat: Rebirth.

I'm not surprised if Marvel will promote him to do a movie in the future.

edit:
Are the preview photos for the next episode giving anyone else Dr Moreau vibes about Skye's father? It just makes the theory that he's the High Evolutionary much stronger.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 16, 2014

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

cool kids inc. posted:

Those suits are made out of a fabric that's the same pattern as the carpet. They got in deep poo poo from the con staff because they were offering to sell them.

Yeah, the Castle invisibility suit is a long way off. Meta-materials can bend electro-magnetic waves in strange ways, but there's nothing that will do that across the entire visible EM spectrum. There were a few articles a while back about invisibility cloaks, but it was mostly sensationalism brought on by some interesting results at Duke (I think).

The MSJ posted:

The fight scenes look great because this episode was directed by Kevin Tancharoen who worked on Mortal Kombat: Rebirth.

I'm not surprised if Marvel will promote him to do a movie in the future.

edit:
Are the preview photos for the next episode giving anyone else Dr Moreau vibes about Skye's father? It just makes the theory that he's the High Evolutionary much stronger.

Shang Chi, Master of Kung-Fu. Seriously, though, maybe he'll be involved in Iron Fist.

I'm glad this show has matured. It had moments last season, but this season has been a blast right out of the gate.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
"I've made a terrible mistake."

"Coulson, try to remember the basics of CQC."

(Clark Gregg actually holds a brown belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu)

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

What an awful fight

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

I noticed a couple of obvious stunt double wig shots in the close ups but beyond that it was really hard to tell.

That was probably just because of the double thing. It must have been a hard fight to film since Ming Na had to do both sides at parts.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

It was at this point that he needed some clean undergarments.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That look of terror was so well done.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
How do people breathe with the Magic Spy Mask on?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
So in today's newly released Ms. Marvel, there is an ad for Agents of SHIELD teasing about Skyes' dad. Wishing I had a scanner to show it and see if it's new or not...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Gynovore posted:

How do people breathe with the Magic Spy Mask on?

NANOMACHINES, SON.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Strabo4 posted:

It is a thing of beauty.

PunkBoy posted:

Holy poo poo, May is the best! This season has been knocking it out of the park, I'm so glad this show has found its footing.

I'll admit, back when the show started I scoffed when Coulsen said May and Ward were up there with Widow and Hawkeye. Look how wrong I was!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I mean, she also got captured in the first place because she let the chick taze her in the back. The fights were neat and I definitely don't miss the days when we'd hear about how good May and Ward are without actually seeing any fights, but they're still TV characters and are subject to temporary lapses in competence when the plot calls for it so it's kind of hard to think of them as Black Widow-level super agents sometimes.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

VDay posted:

I mean, she also got captured in the first place because she let the chick taze her in the back. The fights were neat and I definitely don't miss the days when we'd hear about how good May and Ward are without actually seeing any fights, but they're still TV characters and are subject to temporary lapses in competence when the plot calls for it so it's kind of hard to think of them as Black Widow-level super agents sometimes.

Well, Widow did accidentally let Batroc escape in the beginning of Cap 2, and temporarily let Pierce get the upper hand of her and Fury at the end, so she's capable of making mistakes as well.

EDIT: Actually Batroc may have been intentional, now that I think about it.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 16, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Pwnstar posted:

Ok so I have a comic nerd question. Spider-Man was bitten by a radioactive spider/Bruce Banner was bombarded with gamma rays and their DNA was altered. I assume this makes them mutants but I guess X-Men are capital letter Mutants because they were born that way, just like Lady Gaga? Is there an actual difference or is it just about who can stay in which clubhouse?

In the old Marvel Superheroes RPG they used the term 'altered human' to distinguish characters like this (who got their powers from an external force/event) from mutants (who get their powers specifically from the 'mutant gene/x-gene').

'Mutant' in the Marvel-verse has very little to do with real-world type mutations, it's basically code for 'won the genetic lottery and gets magic powers'.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WarLocke posted:

In the old Marvel Superheroes RPG they used the term 'altered human' to distinguish characters like this (who got their powers from an external force/event) from mutants (who get their powers specifically from the 'mutant gene/x-gene').

'Mutant' in the Marvel-verse has very little to do with real-world type mutations, it's basically code for 'won the genetic lottery and gets magic powers'.

There was even a whole sub-plot in House of M where Spider-Man was gaming the system in Magneto's perfect mutant-dominated alternate world by lying about where he got his powers from and posing as a "born this way" capital M Mutant while other post-facto heroes like the Hulk were living as slaves along with the rest of humanity.

It's kind of a moot point however, as neither Mutants nor Spider-Man exist in the MCU... for now anyway. Who knows what kind of inter-studio hankey pankey Disney's concocting for the Phase 3 MCU.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

It's kind of a moot point however, as neither Mutants nor Spider-Man exist in the MCU... for now anyway. Who knows what kind of inter-studio hankey pankey Disney's concocting for the Phase 3 MCU.

Considering they managed to negotiate & purchase the rights to show the Oscorp Tower in Avengers*, I wouldn't be surprised if they manage to get Spidey into Civil War somehow...

*By the time the negotiations & purchase was done, the CGI work for NYC was finsihed, and they didn't have time to go back and add it. :(

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I was really waiting for the crew from Burn Notice to show up in Miami.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
So now Fake-Talbot knows that S.H.I.E.L.D. has an arrangement with the government to hand over all (well, most) of the cool stuff they find, and Fake-May knows not only that Coulson is director now, but that there's something wrong enough with him that May might have to put him down. On that front, now Hydra knows more than most of the team does about his "condition."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Butts posted:

Everybody ages differently and it isn't an inherent trait in any race.

It's mostly that Caucasians can age horribly, all that tanning on account of being ashamed of being pale can't help. You are what you are, love yourself and be excellent to each other! :unsmith:

(Side note: party on, dudes.)

Potsticker posted:

It's because she is an Inhuman.

I will be very, very surprised if she and Raina are not Inhumans...

My comic-nerd sense is tingling.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 17, 2014

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Between May slow-mo head slamming that poor tortured agent and Fitz saving the day I had the biggest smile on my face.

It's ridiculous how well the characters have been developed this season, and what good additions Mack and Hunter have been. Coulson isn't carrying it anymore. Sassy Skye, broken Fitz, whatever the hell is going on with Ward, I'm actually feeling something for these characters and that never happened in season one.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Gotham is the new Agents of SHIELD.

Agents of SHIELD is the new Arrow.

Arrow is the new...

...I dunno, but it's great.

Really liking comic book TV shows this season!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

Gotham is the new Agents of SHIELD.

In that it's pretty bad but shows potential if the writing improves? I agree.

Gotham is infuriating to watch as it's just on the cusp of being a good show.

• Locked thread