Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Memories.

After getting some monitoring tools installed, I find there's a 100mb HUB (in 2013) hiding in a ceiling.
At my last job every time the network team decommissioned a hub they used it for target practice, then hung its corpse on the wall of their lab. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

RadicalR posted:

Not pissing me off: New computers.
Pissing me off: Hard drives of said new computers.

So tell me when exactly Dell switched to PCI-E for Hard Drives?
How the hell am I going to clone these? We have several duplicators but they only take SATA connections.

Anyone worked with these before?

VVVV: Goddamnit, we could've gotten hard drives? At the rate this is going, that would've been a better choice.

Just use FOG (Open source ghostcast basically) gently caress drive duplication.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Aunt Beth posted:

At my last job every time the network team decommissioned a hub they used it for target practice, then hung its corpse on the wall of their lab. :black101:

Not allowed to throw them away :(

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Not allowed to throw them away :(

Not quite the same, but I hate when companies decommissioning 2-3 year old hardware that still works well for latest in greatest. Rather than give it to a charity or put in an employee auction with proceeds going to charity, it sits in a warehouse collecting 3 feet of dust while the caps go bad. Is it possible they are getting the tax depreciation credit on it, even though it isn't actually being used for business purposes?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

HFX posted:

Not quite the same, but I hate when companies decommissioning 2-3 year old hardware that still works well for latest in greatest. Rather than give it to a charity or put in an employee auction with proceeds going to charity, it sits in a warehouse collecting 3 feet of dust while the caps go bad. Is it possible they are getting the tax depreciation credit on it, even though it isn't actually being used for business purposes?

Sometimes yes. But some people are just to lazy to throw it away (properly)or go through the hassle of giving it away etc, or just want to keep it around.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

HFX posted:

Meanwhile I have a few servers in my rack that you couldn't give away. Hello 10 year old poweredge.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So today I learned that one of our two COOP sites is located at sea level approximately 200 feet from the water.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

psydude posted:

So today I learned that one of our two COOP sites is located at sea level approximately 200 feet from the water.

New Orleans?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Sometimes yes. But some people are just to lazy to throw it away (properly)or go through the hassle of giving it away etc, or just want to keep it around.

Either that or they want to keep the old one around as a spare if the new one fails. Never mind it will keep the old config/data on it, be undocumented and may lack features which the new one has that the company comes to rely on. So it will sit in storage for many years until a new guy comes in and decides to look at the storage area and asks why this ancient piece of hardware is sitting on a shelf.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
I managed to get about half my current workload mitigated to other members of my team. Can't get everything done at night, especially when it involved end users. :argh:

The thing that's pissing me off right now is a bogus PDF that got sent to a few users for one of our clients. An account exec decided to open it, and it offloaded a ton of malware on to their system, as well as sending a duplicate of the message to everyone in their contact list (whole company, a lot of clients they do business with, etc). Everyone's up in arms, and I've been tasked with cleaning each user's system with MBAM/Spybot/etc since they're paranoid about Intune "not working correctly" since it did not catch it.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

psydude posted:

No you don't understand, it's an Enterprise grade hub.

No matter how much you like Matt Jeffries' industrial design, the man was not qualified to manufacture that.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Exit Strategy posted:

No matter how much you like Matt Jeffries' industrial design, the man was not qualified to manufacture that.

He most certainly was. It's still based on tubes!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
About a month ago* I was handed this project to do an inventory of all our OEM licenses, because years ago someone found out you could pop a Dell 7 Pro install disc into a Dell computer and it would install 7 Pro without asking you to put a key in. This practice was fully endorsed by the IT manager (who was the ShoreTel vendor until he was hired as IT) and the CIO (who is the IT manager's son). One of the IT guys got sick of this practice and blew the whistle** and initiated a audit from Microsoft back in January. IT management sat on it until August, and now that the executives outside of IT are aware of it and how important it is to get this resolved, it's suddenly a big deal.

Basically what my role is, is I get to tell people in our other locations to take pictures of the product key stickers and the Dell service tag stickers on their laptops, but that much has been a challenge. I can show people what a product key looks like, and they'll take pictures of the sticker on the laptop battery. I can show people what a Windows 8 sticker looks like, and they'll take pictures of the "Intel Inside" sticker. Some computers legitimately do not have a product key on them; this is one of our actual, in-use production servers:

I'm down to around 60 computers out of ~650. However, we have literally zero inventory of anything that was purchased,*** anything that was sent out to a user, anything that was returned from a user, or anything that was recycled, so a lot of computers are a Spiceworks inventory since they were on the network back in June, but I can't find them. But I get to look for them. Another thing is that our naming convention is typically "[three-letter city code]-[username]", but instead of username it might be a department like "shipping" or "parts" or "parts-bc" for the parts back counter, or "parts-fcl" for the parts front counter left, or "parts-fc2" for the second parts front counter computer. There is no standardization.

One of the ways I've been looking for computers is checking TeamViewer. I found one today that I couldn't ping, but TeamViewer said it was online. I thought that was weird, so I connected to it, ran a wmic query to make sure I had the right serial number, checked the hostname, and checked the user who was logged on. I looked up that user in AD, but they weren't there. I went to one of the sysadmins, and they couldn't find a termination notice from HR**** for them. But he did find an e-mail from their manager that mentioned that this user had been terminated, and talked about backing up/forwarding their mailbox.

Then we find out from the CIO that we'd actually given the user a box with a prepaid shipping label for them to ship their laptop back to us, they ignored it, and nobody noticed.

*I was hired here about a month an a half ago. I used those first two weeks to set up a wiki and was going to fill out

**We only think he blew the whistle, but no one has proof that he actually told Microsoft. He did write and sign a letter of resignation describing these practices and presented it to HR, though.

***We have historically purchased equipment from eBay, or from a local vendor who prefers to deal at a Starbucks out of their minivan. They used to buy from some drug dealer hippie with a name like "Pretender Bunny" or something else bizarre.

****HR is also incredibly disorganized. We got a termination notice last month for a user who was let go in March. We've also gotten termination notices for users who are just moving from one store to another, and all of a sudden their account doesn't work and everyone is confused.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 16, 2014

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Run away, run away.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

:stare:

I wrote a rec for a position last week with you in mind. I am trying to get it pushed thru.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

kensei posted:

I wrote a rec for a position last week with you in mind. I am trying to get it pushed thru.
I saw you lookin at my linkedin :wink:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

kensei posted:

Get him hired but make sure there is a link back to hear about the fiasco at that place. It went from alarm bells ringing to air raid sirens warning him to get away fast.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Get him hired but make sure there is a link back to hear about the fiasco at that place. It went from alarm bells ringing to air raid sirens warning him to get away fast.
The two sysadmins are legit cool dudes and were disappointed to hear I wanted out, as they'd been trying to make sure I got hired after my contract was up. But they understand.

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Our small (~30 employee) UK company uses Sage 50 accounts in network mode. It's slow but apparently this isn't unusual due to it's awful "shared file database". We don't have a CRM.

A decree has come from the mountain top that we need a CRM, preferably integrating with SAGE. Does anyone have any experience with Sage 200, which seems to combine Sage accounts with a CRM, or SwiftPage Act? The latter has been spun out from Sage, so presumably it still has some interoperability. Is there any solution that is not terrible? We are cloud-averse.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I have a 14 year old production physical windows 2000 server that is running business critical software on that we owe $60,000 of back support on running all original hardware. Out business will cease to operate if it crashes and the client stubbornly refuses to replace it or pay maintenance. Attempts to virtualize it fail as the software apparently checks the parameters of the host server and refuses to work unless it receives an acknowledgement code from the vendor. :suicide:

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 16, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Well this isn't an IT specific problem, but would it kill the train companies in the UK to not book every transfer train 2 minutes after my original train is meant to get there? Its on the other side of the station so I have to sprint if its there on time and if its not I miss it every evening. This also seems to happen every time I travel north :smith:

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
You would love the Belgian situation. Whenever I have to go to Brussels I have a transfer time of about 5 minutes that's missed occasionally by random delays, and if I miss it I have to wait an additional hour for the next train.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I have a 14 year old production physical windows 2000 server that is running business critical software on that we owe $60,000 of back support on running all original hardware. Out business will cease to operate if it crashes and the client stubbornly refuses to replace it or pay maintenance. Attempts to virtualize it fail as the software apparently checks the parameters of the host server and refuses to work unless it receives an acknowledgement code from the vendor. :suicide:

:stonk:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Smoke posted:

You would love the Belgian situation. Whenever I have to go to Brussels I have a transfer time of about 5 minutes that's missed occasionally by random delays, and if I miss it I have to wait an additional hour for the next train.

Yup, that's pretty much mine, 30 minute wait in the morning if I miss it and 45 minutes later if its the evening one I miss. With a manager who tries to take it out of my annual leave every time I miss it, it kinda gets on my nerves.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Suppose you at least have the emails you sent them warning them it needs replacing, so you're covered right?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

What the hell is this? I don't even...

poo poo pissing me off: My hosed work/life situation. Ugh.

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Any chance the software is only looking at the MAC address of the physical server? Because you could easily spoof that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Owner: "Hey keep me and ACCOUNT MANAGER updated with the progress of your morning appointment, and don't leave until you send a summary that we approve."

*Owner and AM stop responding to Lync and e-mails for several hours*

This happens all the time, too. At least this time the troubleshooting involves streaming movies.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 16, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I configured set up a gigabit switch to replace an old 10/100 switch in our office about a week ago in anticipation of us imaging a bunch of new IPSs on our lab network. Start doing the first one today, and it's only downloading from the management server at around 1.5mbps, routinely stalling out. Hmm, that's odd. I look at the uplink light on the switch and it's flashing amber. Hmm, odder. Log in to the switch to see it's running at half duplex. Uh oh. Trace the uplink cable to find it heading in the opposite direction from where it should. Find it running down from the ceiling on the opposite side of the room to an empty cubicle, where, underneath, what do I find? A loving HUB with 6 machines hanging off of it in TYOOL 2014.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
One of our managers needs a copy of Excel. What has the company done in the past for licensing?

. . . oh.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
an incorrect setting on part of my san is causing periodic downtimes on VMs and inconsistent datastore connections in VMware, but I'm not allowed to fix it right now because my boss thinks that the redundancy mechanisms that are in place to allow me to fix it without anything dropping a single ping might cause a multi-second loss of network connectivity if I use them, so we have to leave poo poo broken for a week so there can be a CAB vote to make sure its OK. :rolleyes:

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

psydude posted:

A loving HUB with 6 machines hanging off of it in TYOOL 2014.

Actually laughed out loud.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

beepsandboops posted:

One of our managers needs a copy of Excel. What has the company done in the past for licensing?

. . . oh.

... I assume the poo poo that pisses you off is that there's no Volume licensing?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

beepsandboops posted:

. . . oh.

loving lol, this entire last page has been a riot.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

RadicalR posted:

... I assume the poo poo that pisses you off is that there's no Volume licensing?

I haven't looked in a while but I'm pretty sure Excel by itself costs half what the lowest tier business version of Office does. The whole thing just seems strange.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I didn't even know you could get Excel in a box, if I'm being honest.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Stay safe Drupal ghosts:
http://threatpost.com/drupal-fixes-highly-critical-sql-injection-flaw/108861

Doesn't affect me but I know one guy who has hundreds of clients on the platform; he's running a 10 person consultancy doing only Drupal work. Wouldn't want to be him right now.

mewse
May 2, 2006

"What happens if your software has a SQL injection vulnerability?"
"It won't, we use an abstraction library to prevent SQL injection attacks."
"What happens if your abstraction library has a SQL injection vulnerability?"
"Then we are hosed."

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Same guy as the "can you change your hours" ticket:

"My DNS doesn't work."

Yes. Yes, it does, Larry.

"No, look. This checker site shows that my DNS has a virus."

If you're experiencing an issue with... Wait. What?

"Yeah, look." <link to a phishing page>

... I'm sorry, your issue is outside the scope of your support. Please contact your system and security administrators for assistance with your issue.

"Hello?"

"Hello?"

"Hello?"

We have formulated a response. 'Larry' is now on "nuisance support". All ticket responses are to be delayed at least one hour, and are to be formatted thus:

1) Ideally, simply link to the relevant documentation or inform him directly that this is not a supported issue. Use the form letter. If need be, send the same form letter multiple times. Be as terse, but polite, as possible.
2) Responses for which no documentation exists and are supported topics are to go into exhaustive, elaborate detail with an executive summary at the beginning, after every step, and at the end.
3) Any questions that you must ask Lewis should be as detailed as possible within the above constraints. When he refuses to answer anything but the most basic questions in the shortest, rudest way possible, elaborate that you need a full answer and make the question even more specific. Act as though you are speaking across a language barrier.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Exit Strategy posted:

We have formulated a response. 'Larry' is now on "nuisance support".

:words:

3) Any questions that you must ask Lewis should be as detailed as possible within the above constraints. When he refuses to answer anything but the most basic questions in the shortest, rudest way possible, elaborate that you need a full answer and make the question even more specific. Act as though you are speaking across a language barrier.

Did you slip up in the midst of your rage and give us his real name, there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

flosofl posted:

Did you slip up in the midst of your rage and give us his real name, there?

Doesn't help by quoting it. :v: