Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lemming posted:

You were sad that it was struck down. You did not literally type the words "I support this law." but you're assuming we're loving morons to not have the ability to infer that typing the sarcastic version of "I think it was dumb that this law was struck down" is implicit support for it.

To be fair his/her entire position is "you should be a loving moron and never entertain the thought that an organization that cares more about restricting abortion than safeguarding women's health would ever prioritize restricting abortion over safeguarding women's health."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Please...tell me more about my emotional responses to court opinions. My point was, and remains, that there are rational arguments in support of the law, even if at the end of the day, the law will be largely found unconstitutional. And there is a middle ground to be found here that acknowledges that abortion is a medical procedure and there is a state's interest in overseeing medical procedures in a way that is not a de facto ban on abortion for anyone outside the greater dallas ft. worth area.

The "rational arguments" are the fig leaf that the anti-choicers knew they had to include to get around the fact that Roe v Wade happened. To naively assume that it's anything legitimate is dumb and you are being made fun of for it. Bringing up the fact that medical procedures should have oversight is a red herring because of loving course they should, they already do, and they have nothing to do with this law, which was entirely focused on getting abortion facilities shut down.

ActusRhesus posted:

I can see a valid reason to have physicians hold admitting privileges. Frequently physicians who lose admitting privileges open private clinics for various lesser procedures (laser hair removal and cosmetic surgery are common ones.) Requiring admitting privileges provides some oversight. And seeing as one of the chief goals of Roe v. Wade was to make sure people weren't forced to see back alley butchers with a folding table and a kitchen knife, I don't necessarily think that scrutiny of an abortion physician is "ZOMG WE HATE TEH WOMENZ."

You also can't bring up points like this one when we're talking about a law that made Texas go from a place with 41 abortion providers to 8. There are over 26 million people in Texas. You would have to be really thick to argue that we need to make sure women don't have to go to "alley butchers" so we'll pass a law that makes sure there are only 8 places women can legally go to for loving 26 million people (To be explicit, I'm calling you loving stupid because the result of this law is that there will be an increase in the number of back alley abortions performed, which will significantly harm the health of women. Which is the intended result of this lovely law).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Seeing as one of the chief goals of Roe v. Wade was to make sure people weren't forced to see back alley butchers with a folding table and a kitchen knife, we certainly shouldn't assume that a group with the explicit objective of overturning Roe v. Wade isn't interested in making sure people won't be forced to see back alley butchers with a folding table and a kitchen knife.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
God drat it. First the ebola thread, now here. All my safe havens turned to poo poo in a single night.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

Please...tell me more about my emotional responses to court opinions. My point was, and remains, that there are rational arguments in support of the law, even if at the end of the day, the law will be largely found unconstitutional. And there is a middle ground to be found here that acknowledges that abortion is a medical procedure and there is a state's interest in overseeing medical procedures in a way that is not a de facto ban on abortion for anyone outside the greater dallas ft. worth area.

Thanks for this incredibly poignant, insightful point that has taken this discussion down a very productive and elucidating course. Reading this thread previously, I had no idea that lawyers on both sides of a case couch their positions in seemingly rational arguments. Perhaps this enlightened middle-ground you have found could be spread to some (even many!) other threads, for the greater good of course.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Crossposting from the comix thread.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

you still seem to be suffering from the delusion that I agree with the Texas law as drafted. You seem to be missing where I said, on more than one occasion, that the law went too far. My point, in all of this, had been that focusing on THAT point...the fact the law goes further than necessary to meet the state's interest, is a more compelling argument than "Rick Perry wants to control my vagina and all Christians hate women and don't really care about safety." Recognizing that someone with whom I ultimately disagree may have reasonable reasons for thinking the way they do and agreeing with them are not the same thing. There are plenty of reasonable, rational people, with whom, at the end of the day, I can disagree.

No see, I missed no point, because through out this whole thing it has been pointed out to you that regulation already exists. Medical procedures are already regulated and there has not been anything in recent history to suggest that the current regulations for that area are insufficient. You continuing to try and argue "They went too far, but they have valid concerns" is missing the point entirely. That is what I mock you for. Those people that wrote the law had no intention of it being for "women's health" and every intention for it being a way to limit abortion which would cause a rise in "back alley" abortions. When people have correctly supplied you with material that shows you this, you shift away from it and move the goal post.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Supreme Court leaves California foie gras ban intact

Hamburgers are next. And then your precious bacon! Vegan supremacy!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Between the gay marriage stuff, the Texas abortion clinics, and now that I'm worried that they are really setting up for a doozy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Supreme Court leaves California foie gras ban intact

Hamburgers are next. And then your precious bacon! Vegan supremacy!

I think you're misunderstanding that ruling. I'm all for bans on the hellish meat factory setups major producers use though.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Radish posted:

Between the gay marriage stuff, the Texas abortion clinics, and now that I'm worried that they are really setting up for a doozy.

I don't think gay marriage is in danger, and despite being somewhat devil's advocate above, I think ultimately the Texas law will be largely struck down as well (possibly upholding the admitting privileges portions, but removing the "within 30 miles" part.)

As for the fois gras thing...states have the right to set guidelines for animal cruelty. Not sure there's much in the way of a constitutional question here. I can see why one would argue commerce clause...but I don't think banning fois gras procedures get you to unreasonable limitation on commerce. They can still sell duck liver...they just can't torture the duck first.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Discendo Vox posted:

God drat it. First the ebola thread, now here. All my safe havens turned to poo poo in a single night.

You of all people should know there's never any worthwhile developments in the safe house. :haw:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

gatesealer posted:

No see, I missed no point, because through out this whole thing it has been pointed out to you that regulation already exists. Medical procedures are already regulated and there has not been anything in recent history to suggest that the current regulations for that area are insufficient. You continuing to try and argue "They went too far, but they have valid concerns" is missing the point entirely. That is what I mock you for. Those people that wrote the law had no intention of it being for "women's health" and every intention for it being a way to limit abortion which would cause a rise in "back alley" abortions. When people have correctly supplied you with material that shows you this, you shift away from it and move the goal post.

I'm not denying that there probably *was* an improper motive at least on the part of *some* involved with the drafting of the bill. (Any time you have model legislation, you probably do have more political agenda than principle) But the plaintiffs failed to put that into evidence.

Form the 5th circuit:

quote:

Besides its view of the above regulation, the district court cited no record evidence to support its determination that the ambulatory surgical center provision was enacted for the purpose of imposing an undue burden on women seeking abortions, nor did it make any factual finding regarding an improper purpose. The Texas Legislature's stated purpose was to improve patient safety. See, e.g., Senate Comm. On Health & Human Servs., Bill Analysis, Tex. H .B. 2, 83d Leg., 2d C.S. 1–2 (2013) (“H.B. 2 seeks to increase the health and safety” of abortion patients and to provide them with “the highest standard of health care”). As we observed in Abbott I, the State of Texas has an “interest in protecting the health of women who undergo abortion procedures.” 734 F.3d at 413; see also Carhart, 550 U.S. at 157, 127 S.Ct. 1610 (“There can be no doubt the government has an interest in protecting the integrity and ethics of the medical profession.” (internal quotation marks omitted)). Courts are not permitted to second guess a legislature's stated purposes absent clear and compelling evidence to the contrary. See Kansas v. Hendricks, 521 U.S. 346, 361, 117 S.Ct. 2072, 138 L.Ed.2d 501 (1997) (“[W]e ordinarily defer to the legislature's stated intent.”); Flemming v. Nestor, 363 U.S. 603, 617, 80 S.Ct. 1367, 4 L.Ed.2d 1435 (1960) (“[O]nly the clearest proof could suffice to establish the unconstitutionality of a statute on [the] ground of [improper legislative motive].”). Such evidence simply does not appear in the record here.

If the plaintiffs want to argue improper motive, they have the burden. I'm not saying there isn't something out there to support this position, but it's their job to put it into evidence. Saying "they are all pro-life meanies" is not enough to carry the burden and bump this into a strict scrutiny analysis. This is a lovely position to be in, as it's akin to having to prove a negative. "We say it's because x. Prove us wrong." But it's the same for any legal challenge, not just on the abortion issue. If they want more scrutiny, they need to prove malice vs. misguided, and it doesn't look from the transcripts like they crossed that hurdle.

(It also doesn't help when reps like Davis go from filibustering to publicly supporting theoretical bans on abortion when it suits their political needs. )

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

ActusRhesus posted:

I don't think gay marriage is in danger, and despite being somewhat devil's advocate above,

"Ignoring reality" and "Devils advocate" really aren't the same thing.

Really, why did you pretend, over and over again, that abortion wasn't already regulated?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

ActusRhesus posted:

I'm not aware of anywhere where this is true. If there is a place where this is the case, I'd be interested in knowing, as that is a valid concern.

Holy poo poo I linked no fewer than three articles about the problem of hospitals (Catholic or not) refusing or revoking admitting privileges solely based on doctors performing abortions. You are being willfully ignorant and lovely about it to boot.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

ActusRhesus posted:

As for the fois gras thing...states have the right to set guidelines for animal cruelty. Not sure there's much in the way of a constitutional question here. I can see why one would argue commerce clause...but I don't think banning fois gras procedures get you to unreasonable limitation on commerce. They can still sell duck liver...they just can't torture the duck first.
There were two arguments, a due process one:

quote:

Plaintiffs contend that they raised a serious question that the statute violates their due process rights because: (1) the statute's definition of force feeding is vague; and (2) the statute fails to give persons fair notice of what conduct is prohibited.
Those are both obviously stupid, and a commerce clause one:

quote:

Plaintiffs argue that we should find that § 25982 violates the Commerce Clause because the statute: (1) discriminates against interstate commerce; and (2) directly regulates interstate commerce.
Which is more technical, but still wrong.
http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-9th-circuit/1642935.html

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

ActusRhesus posted:

You're right. The dockets of the circuit courts and supreme court are so light, and there are so few petitions for cert that they just hear every case that comes across their desk. There's no scrutiny at all before a case is granted cert. In fact, it's done by coin flip.

Okay, maybe you aren't the best person to be talking about this, since you're apparently just making things up now. With very few exceptions, the "circuit courts" are obligated to hear every case that comes across their desk. For the vast majority of cases, once the District Court has made a final decision, the parties have "appeal as a matter of right" to the Court of Appeals, if a party files a notice of appeal, then the Court of Appeals is required to hear the case (it does not necessarily have to grant oral argument, it can affirm or reverse the District Court based solely on the briefs).

Once the Court of Appeals has made a decision, then the litigant (generally) does not have any further right of appeal. That's when the petition for cert comes up (or petition for en banc review) both of which are discretionary and may be denied (and usually are denied). That's somewhat irrelevant here, because the 5th Circuit has not made any decision yet, so nobody has filed a petition for cert.

Basically, the fact that a case has made it to the Court of Appeals usually means three things; the District Court made a final decision; one or both of the parties didn't like the decision; and that party had enough resources to keep fighting. It says absolutely nothing about the merits of the case.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Not My Leg posted:

Okay, maybe you aren't the best person to be talking about this, since you're apparently just making things up now. With very few exceptions, the "circuit courts" are obligated to hear every case that comes across their desk. For the vast majority of cases, once the District Court has made a final decision, the parties have "appeal as a matter of right" to the Court of Appeals, if a party files a notice of appeal, then the Court of Appeals is required to hear the case (it does not necessarily have to grant oral argument, it can affirm or reverse the District Court based solely on the briefs).

Once the Court of Appeals has made a decision, then the litigant (generally) does not have any further right of appeal. That's when the petition for cert comes up (or petition for en banc review) both of which are discretionary and may be denied (and usually are denied). That's somewhat irrelevant here, because the 5th Circuit has not made any decision yet, so nobody has filed a petition for cert.

Basically, the fact that a case has made it to the Court of Appeals usually means three things; the District Court made a final decision; one or both of the parties didn't like the decision; and that party had enough resources to keep fighting. It says absolutely nothing about the merits of the case.

You're right. I was inartful and should have made it more clear which court I was talking about. Initial point in this thread was by the time something gets to the supreme level, it's unlikely there is no argument worth listening to, even if at the end of the day it's rejected. Cert goes to supremes, but the circuit can still give a one sentence gently caress off per curiam if it's complete bs.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Holy poo poo I linked no fewer than three articles about the problem of hospitals (Catholic or not) refusing or revoking admitting privileges solely based on doctors performing abortions. You are being willfully ignorant and lovely about it to boot.

You're answering a question I didn't ask. I didn't ask "are there any hospitals that deny privileges based on abortion?"...I asked if there was anywhere where the only hospital within 300 miles was Catholic. I honestly don't know the answer to this question, and would like to know if that's the case.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 18, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

ActusRhesus posted:

You're right. I was inartful. Cert goes to supremes, but the circuit can still give a one sentence gently caress off per curiam if it's complete bs.

Fair enough. And sometimes they use the one sentence even if it isn't complete bs. I've seen the Circuit Court go all the way through oral argument, have what seemed like vigorous debate at oral arguments, sit on the record for months, and then give a one sentence "per curiam, affirmed".

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Not My Leg posted:

Fair enough. And sometimes they use the one sentence even if it isn't complete bs. I've seen the Circuit Court go all the way through oral argument, have what seemed like vigorous debate at oral arguments, sit on the record for months, and then give a one sentence "per curiam, affirmed".

True. And very infuriating. Our state has oral argument as a right, as well as an asinine habeas system that gives seemingly limitless habeas trials...and appeals. It's always irritating to go through the trouble of writing a brief and arguing it, knowing at the end of the day the only thing you'll have to show for it is an unpublished snippet that boils down to "you're right. Now go away."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

I'm not denying that there probably *was* an improper motive at least on the part of *some* involved with the drafting of the bill. (Any time you have model legislation, you probably do have more political agenda than principle) But the plaintiffs failed to put that into evidence.

So you think there probably was an improper motive in drafting the bill, you admitted in other posts that the bill doesn't adhere to any rational medical standard and is actively harmful to women's health yet you were still annoyed it got overturned?

ActusRhesus posted:

This is great news. Requiring facilities that conduct invasive medical procedures to adhere to set medical standards would be detrimental to women's health.

ActusRhesus posted:

If the plaintiffs want to argue improper motive, they have the burden. I'm not saying there isn't something out there to support this position, but it's their job to put it into evidence. Saying "they are all pro-life meanies" is not enough to carry the burden and bump this into a strict scrutiny analysis.

Yeah, we're not the plaintiffs though and our opinions don't have to meet strict scrutiny analysis to be correct. But I'm willing to find a middle ground with you: I'm willing to agree that the likelihood that Americans United for Life has a sincere desire to protect women from having to resort to back alley abortions is about the same as the likelihood that racism is over in the South and that Alabama was motivated by a sincere desire to prod congress to update the VRA formula for the 21st Century and a heartfelt concern for equal treatment of the states.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
OK, so what procedures are performed at the clinics in question?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

OK, so what procedures are performed at the clinics in question?

Ritual infant sacrifice to please Moloch, Devourer of Zygotes

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Ritual infant sacrifice to please Moloch, Devourer of Zygotes

I'm serious. This seems to be the nominal basis for the rationale for the restriction, so knowing what procedures are conducted there would help determine the validity of the law, independent of trading political talking points about the bad faith of the parties to the dispute (or this dispute you're having in the thread right now, for that matter).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm serious. This seems to be the nominal basis for the rationale for the restriction, so knowing what procedures are conducted there would help determine the validity of the law, independent of trading political talking points about the bad faith of the parties to the dispute (or this dispute you're having in the thread right now, for that matter).

This information isn't hidden. At least some of these clinics only provide drugs.

quote:

The ambulatory-surgical-center requirement imposes extensive new standards on abortion facilities by requiring them to meet enhanced standards for new construction. See 25 Tex. Admin. Code § 139.40. [b]The requirement applies equally to abortion clinics that only provide medication abortion, even though no surgery or physical intrusion into a woman's body occurs during this procedure.

http://reproductiverights.org/sites/crr.civicactions.net/files/documents/WWH%20v%20Lakey_Memorandum%20Opinion.pdf

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ulmont posted:

This information isn't hidden. At least some of these clinics only provide drugs.

I appreciate that fact. My point is that this incredibly stupid back-and-forth in the thread could have been avoided if the first response to ActusRhesus was to cite that and show that the proposed regulation was overinclusive based on its stated rationale. Then we can talk about distinguishing clinics that are performing procedures that might merit admitting status personnel from those only performing outpatient procedures where the reg's political purpose is obvious.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

I appreciate that fact. My point is that this incredibly stupid back-and-forth in the thread could have been avoided if the first response to ActusRhesus was to cite that and show that the proposed regulation was overinclusive based on its stated rationale. Then we can talk about distinguishing clinics that are performing procedures that might merit admitting status personnel from those only performing outpatient procedures where the reg's political purpose is obvious.

So you mean maybe something like this:

VitalSigns posted:

The AMA and ACOG's joint brief posted:

There is no medical basis to require abortion providers to have local hospital admitting privileges. Emergency room physicians, hospital-based physicians, and on-call specialists already provide prompt and effective treatment to all patients with urgent medical needs, including women with abortion-related complications. Moreover, there is no medically sound reason for Texas to impose more stringent requirements on abortion facilities than it does on other medical facilities that perform procedures with similar, or even greater, risks.

ACOG also opposes Texas HB 2’s requirement that physicians follow an inferior treatment protocol for medical abortions. Legislators should not block advances in medical care by prohibiting physicians from incorporating the best, and most current, scientific evidence into their patient care. Requiring physicians to follow a protocol that is scientifically proven to be inferior to other regimens is an unwarranted intrusion in the physician-patient relationship. The practice of medicine should be based on the latest scientific research and medical advances. Yet, HB 2 deprives the women of Texas the best evidence-based care.

Or possibly like this?

VitalSigns posted:

The ACOG's Open Letter to the Texas Legislature posted:

These bills would also impose a number of requirements for abortion facilities that are touted as necessary to ensure the health of the woman, but are, in fact, unnecessary and unsupported by scientific evidence. These proposed requirements, concerning door width and other irrelevant issues, would only make it extremely difficult or impossible for most clinics, including clinics that primarily provide important non-abortion well-woman health care services such as mammograms and prenatal care to low-income women, to stay open. For example, the bills would require physicians who perform abortions to have admitting privileges at a hospital within 30 miles and allow abortions only in clinics that meet surgical clinic standards, imposing government regulations on abortion care that are much stricter than for colonoscopy and other similar low-risk procedures. The fact is that abortion is one of the safest medical procedures, with minimal—less than 0.5%—risk of major complications that might need hospital care.

Sorry, I should have cited those earlier.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Why engage in legal analysis when you can just call someone a moron?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Discendo Vox posted:

ActusRhesus refused to acknowledge that abortions are already regulated, so no, I don't think that would have checked his flow.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Obdicut posted:

ActusRhesus refused to acknowledge that abortions are already regulated, so no, I don't think that would have checked his flow.

No. You repeatedly told me i thought that. I didn't agree. And it's her, not his.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

So you mean maybe something like this:

Or possibly like this?

Sorry, I should have cited those earlier.

No, not like those, because they don't actually address hisher argument. The formal problem with part of the proposed legislation at issue is that it is overinclusive- it applies to clinics where its stated rationale makes no sense. In order to attack that argument, you need to identify that set of clinics. The other elements of the cited letters don't actually address the argument.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

ActusRhesus posted:

No. You repeatedly told me i thought that. I didn't agree. And it's her, not his.

I didn't repeatedly say poo poo to you.

But to quote you:

quote:

And there is a middle ground to be found here that acknowledges that abortion is a medical procedure and there is a state's interest in overseeing medical procedures in a way that is not a de facto ban on abortion for anyone outside the greater dallas ft. worth area.

The middle ground already existed: abortion was regulated, and the argument was not that the state has no interest in 'overseeing' medical procedures.

You also repeatedly made the affirmation that a case had to have some merits to reach this far, but that doesn't mean it has to have rational or reasonable merits, it means it has to have 'within the logic of the constitution' merits. The other said has reasonable legal arguments, but that doesn't detract at all from the very easily verifiable fact that the people pushing this law are anti-abortion and want to reduce the number of abortions, and that the legislation will not actually improve safety for women seeking abortions and they really don't give a poo poo.

The actual lay of the land of abortion before this bill was that it was highly regulated. You acted, throughout this discussion, as though we were coming from a point of no regulation and this bill just went 'too far'. No. We were already at the point of 'too far', and abortion needs to be less restricted, not more, in Texas and many other places.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Obdicut posted:

The actual lay of the land of abortion before this bill was that it was highly regulated. You acted, throughout this discussion, as though we were coming from a point of no regulation and this bill just went 'too far'. No. We were already at the point of 'too far', and abortion needs to be less restricted, not more, in Texas and many other places.

It's problematic to think of regulation, or to parse regulatory schema, in terms of a unipolar spectrum between two relative values.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

It's problematic to think of regulation, or to parse regulatory schema, in terms of a unipolar spectrum between two relative values.

Yup.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

No, not like those, because they don't actually address hisher argument. The formal problem with part of the proposed legislation at issue is that it is overinclusive- it applies to clinics where its stated rationale makes no sense. In order to attack that argument, you need to identify that set of clinics. The other elements of the cited letters don't actually address the argument.

The cited parts of the brief argues that the restrictions are overinclusive everywhere because there's no medical basis for them. There are no clinics where the stated rationale makes sense, because actual text requires that abortion clinics should have to meet a higher standard of hospital access than procedures such as colonoscopies that have higher rates of complications requiring hospitalization. Taking women to the ER is the standard industry-wide recommended practice.

You could say the industry-recommended practice isn't safe enough and that colonoscopies need to be done only by physicians with admitting privileges too, but then you'd be arguing that Americans United for Life and Jodie "you can't be pregnant, you got a vag-swab" Laubenberg know more about medical safety than the AM-loving-A

Unfortunately for whatever reason the brief's pdf is copy-protected so I can't quote from it directly, but ActusRhesus claimed she'd read all the briefs anyway but still somehow missed the part about how the risks of abortion increase the more the procedure is delayed (delays which are now happening because clinics have closed and access is harder).

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 16, 2014

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Discendo Vox posted:

That's great, tell ActusRhesus, who was arguing as though this law was coming in a vacuum of regulation. It wasn't, it was further increasing an already overburdensome amount of regulation on abortion providers. Furthermore, that a case progresses this far really doesn't mean a drat thing about its merits as a regulatory force, just about its merits as a legal case. You could have an incredibly well-crafted piece of gun control regulation that'd achieve great ends for modest impact and have it get struck down. The merits of a regulation and whether it will hold up in court are really not very related at all.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

(delays which are now happening because clinics have closed and access is harder).

Didn't the Supreme Court ruling change that?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Obdicut posted:

That's great, tell ActusRhesus, who was arguing as though this law was coming in a vacuum of regulation. It wasn't, it was further increasing an already overburdensome amount of regulation on abortion providers. Furthermore, that a case progresses this far really doesn't mean a drat thing about its merits as a regulatory force, just about its merits as a legal case. You could have an incredibly well-crafted piece of gun control regulation that'd achieve great ends for modest impact and have it get struck down. The merits of a regulation and whether it will hold up in court are really not very related at all.

So you can have a great law that just happens to be unconstitutional? Inconvenient, that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

The cited parts of the brief argues that the restrictions are overinclusive everywhere because there's no medical basis for them. There are no clinics where the stated rationale makes sense, because the stated rationale is that abortion clinics should have to meet a higher standard of hospital access than procedures such as colonoscopies that have higher rates of complications requiring hospitalization. Taking women to the ER is the standard industry-wide recommended practice.

Unfortunately for whatever reason the brief's pdf is copy-protected so I can't quote from it directly, but ActusRhesus claimed she'd read all the briefs anyway but still somehow missed the part about how the risks of abortion increase the more the procedure is delayed (delays which are now happening because clinics have closed and access is harder).

This still isn't addressing what's in ActusRhesus' argument, which is specific to the content of the procedures. A comparison between the procedures at issue and the regulatory status of other procedures also isn't helpful- then the other procedures are inapposite. By using other elements of the bill you're effectively overcompolicating the number of working parts in the argument.

An effective takedown of the bill/argument would be a) here are the procedures involved b) here are which clinics are at issue c)here are the clinics only offering procedures that are obviously not within the stated category the bill attaches the admission rights requirement to d) the bill is overinclusive. I know it seems arbitrary, but that's how to dismantle that argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

Didn't the Supreme Court ruling change that?

Unfortunately, the Supreme Court did not see fit to overturn the space-time continuum and undo the closings of clinics in the Rio Grande valley and the Texas panhandle.

:argh:Thomas