Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

I apologize for the SJW shot; that was out of line on my part.

Here's the basic issue I'm having: I'm enjoying the show. I'm enjoying the fights. I'm enjoying Fumina doing some awesome stuff in the fights and actually being good at fighting.

ImpAtom watches the show, and everything Fumina does that's awesome, he sees as being tainted because either
  1. she had to have help from Sekai or Yuuma
  2. it came at the cost of Mantis Man being a terrible creepazoid towards her

The problem with the first is that the whole show is set up around the premise that this is a team effort, and that you need good teammates you can depend on. But no, since she's the girl, it's automatically terrible if she has to be helped out by her male teammates, or if she does something to help them out, it's just her being reduced to a helper instead of being allowed to be awesome on her own.

The problem with the second is that why should Mantis Man being a terrible person somehow automatically make the cool stuff Fumina does less cool? Like ImpAtom keeps pointing out how Mantis Man was making creepy comments and was just generally being the worst character in the show... and Fumina handled it just fine. She didn't just slump down in defeat when he immobilized her suit, she didn't scream for Sekai-kun or Yuu-kun to come rescue her, she didn't freak out and try to run when he rushed her proclaiming that he'd take her hostage. She struggled against the Agrissa and the moment she was free, she reoriented herself and went right back to trying to kick his poo poo in. But no, because she had to be rescued and because Yuuma and Sekai also participated in taking down Mantis Man, her contribution is somehow automatically not as important or valid.

That's the impression I get from ImpAtom, and it's frustrating to read his posts because as well-thought out and put together as they are, he doggedly refuses to acknowledge counterarguments that refute his points and clings to this idea that "Fumina is never going to get to do anything cool on her own."

Hm.

I see where you're coming from. I think I've been explaining myself kind of badly in that case.

I think Build Fighters (the franchise) has some of the best female characters a Gundam show has. They're fun, likable, dynamic and have a variety of interesting personalities. I do not think Fumina is a weak character, she is my favorite character in the show. I feel the same way about most of BF1's cast too. (I will argue China is just kind of crap but she's a likable kind of crap at least.)

I find it frustrating because these cool, dynamic, and interesting characters are not usually matched with cool, dynamic and interesting combat roles which undervalue their capabilities as pilots. I don't think Fumina is a bad pilot. Quite the opposite. I think she's presented as a talented pilot with cool abilities. I want the show to live up to that. It is the same way I feel about Aina in BF. I'm not trying to argue that Fumina is a bad pilot any more than I'd argue Aina is a bad pilot. I just think the show has a habit of underutilizing them.

I also don't think this is exclusive a BF thing. Danball Senkei, to use another example in the same genre, did it a lot, as do a lot of those kinds of shows. Fumina is frankly a better character than anyone in Danball and BF is better written than Danball ever was. My feeling is less "this show is poo poo unless it does what I want" and more "This show is good and it would be so easy for it to be even better."

And I'll leave it there. One thing I am absolutely not doing is arguing that Fumina is a bad character. She is, as I stated, my favorite in the show so far and I don't think any characters are bad so far. (Well, no, I think Mantis Creeper is pretty crap but he's probably not going to be frequently reoccurring like Sazaki so it's okay.)

That said, I really did find the fight this episode kinda boring. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yosuke posted:

This show makes me actually work on my backlog. Waiting for paint to dry now, but basically after it ended I went back to work on the MG Hi Nu I got recently.

Anyone else get the same feeling?

You fool! You're falling into Bandai's trap!

....I'm painting my mg turn a kit tonight and working on the mg sengoku astray when I watch the episode later.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I managed to resist getting into Gunpla last season but honest to god this season is breaking my will down already.

Sharkopath posted:

People replied earlier but phonepost so: I think the after credits scene was comedic, and good for it, but the entire rest of the episode with its framing was setting up yuumas story as something genuine. It would have been really easy to spin it in a comedic fashion overtly, even just by having fuumina react to how silly he was being, but the development team made a conscious decision not to, and it drags the whole episode down.

Its mega easy to read it personally as farcical in nature, but I don't see any of the artistic intent in it.

More fuumina and hijinks, less of whatever that was in the future, hopefully.

At least they had the decency to get the major part of the melodrama out in one go so we can focus on the rest, and it does set us up with Yuuma's own personal nemesis down the line. I kinda get why they did it and played it straight, it was laid on a bit thick but at the very least they went with the right solution to the issue and next week it's time for the "oh god how do we team" hijinks.

Also to clarify, that solution I refer to is martial arts-based psychotherapy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Shinjobi posted:

Fumina will probably be the driving force for me on this show. Sekai is funny, I'm sure he'll play off well with Yuuma, but Fumina's energy about everything is great. Also hilarious is her totally missing out on Yuuma's gushing over Mirai. Oh Fumina, you have a tall mountain to climb.:allears:

I'm going to bet that despite all of Yuuma and Fumina's we made a promise amidst the cherry blossoms stuff the show will probably go Sekai/Fumina and Yuuma/Mirai, with Yuuma and Fumina remaining very good friends. Stuff like Yuuma building the Bearguy F for Mirai and the giant knuckle addon for the Build Burning in the OP being in Fumina's colors makes me think they won't be able to resist a really hammy Love Love Tenkyoken reference.

Also I absolutely love that no one except Yuuma seems to question how Sekai, a kid who has never heard of Gunpla as of three days ago, can perfectly translate obscure martial arts into Gunpla Battles.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Oh lord, I just now noticed that Yuuma is the one who builds the Bearguy F for Mirai. That's just precious.

Hey it worked for Fellini.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Doesn't the Winning Gundam have a blue backpack? Maybe that's what splits off and becomes the Burning's power fist addon.

I'm hoping we get to see Sei popping up in random places and sperging about Gunpla, just like his dad. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

Doesn't the Winning Gundam have a blue backpack? Maybe that's what splits off and becomes the Burning's power fist addon.

I'm hoping we get to see Sei popping up in random places and sperging about Gunpla, just like his dad. :allears:

Sei's seeming the His Dad to Kousaka's Yuuki so he'll probably show up near the end with Superb Star Build Strike Freedom Gundam or something

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

Oh lord, I just now noticed that Yuuma is the one who builds the Bearguy F for Mirai. That's just precious.

The 'F' is for 'family', hence the baby Bearguy attached to it. Dude moves fast.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ImpAtom posted:

I just think the show has a habit of underutilizing them.

Fair enough.

ImpAtom posted:

(Well, no, I think Mantis Creeper is pretty crap but he's probably not going to be frequently reoccurring like Sazaki so it's okay.)

I genuinely hope now that he's hooked up with his stalker vice president, that the two of them are out of the picture for the rest of the series. (Seriously, what the hell does she see in that guy? Actually, scratch that, I'm not sure I want to know. :gonk: )

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

W.T. Fits posted:

(Seriously, what the hell does she see in that guy? Actually, scratch that, I'm not sure I want to know. :gonk: )

Remember what happens to male mantises after they mate.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ActionZero posted:

Build Fighters Try confirmed for School Days ending.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ActionZero posted:

Oh god. We're going Gundam SEED.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Oh god. We're going Gundam SEED.

Wing, actually. His waifu IS a spoof of Lady Une...

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I leave for afternoon classes and I come back to find the biggest shitshow since the G-Reco thread's start. What the hell thread. :psyduck:

ImpAtom posted:

That said, I really did find the fight this episode kinda boring. :smith:

I don't think we're going to see a high budget fight for a while. The team's still getting together, the championship is a while off, and none of the rival characters have been introduced.

Although it would be awesome if the very next episode has the Destiny pilot show up and wreck face, because lord knows I need to see the Destiny accomplish something for once.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
To put this in perspective for a moment: Fumina was kicking serious rear end until rear end in a top hat mcgee decided to cheat and gently caress things up because he wanted to be in charge. I don't think anyone would have been prepared for that and honestly that's a situation you kinda need help on regardless if it's a girl or not. She's very much a skilled fighter but even Sei and Reiji struggled against such weird things happening early on in the first season.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I don't think we're going to see a high budget fight for a while. The team's still getting together, the championship is a while off, and none of the rival characters have been introduced.

Yeah, Build Fighters's first real "holy poo poo that was amazing" fight wasn't until episode six when we had the Build Strike Full Package and the Zaku Amazing tear each other apart. At least for me, anyway.

BlitzBlast posted:

Although it would be awesome if the very next episode has the Destiny pilot show up and wreck face, because lord knows I need to see the Destiny accomplish something for once.

Nah, next week is Gyanko and Team Northern Song Dynasty Vase.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

W.T. Fits posted:

Episode rocked, fight was awesome, new OP kicks all kinds of rear end. (New OP is called Cerulean.)

Also, trying to discern what the hell it was that chumped Yuuma's Airmaster in the cold opening:

I can see the wings from the Deathscythe Hell Endless Waltz version and two of the extendable arms are from the Nataku... and I cannot for the life of me make out anything else in that horrid kitbash. :psyduck:
I'm calling it the "Kitbash Hell Custom" until we get an actual name for it.

Pretty sure it's mostly Hydra Gundam.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yuuma's Airmaster was getting shredded by GN Fangs at first, which suggests that Throne Zwei or Arche Gundam is a part of that aberration. I'm definitely hoping that the mysterious nemesis is based on Ali Al-Saachez because of that. He was the best thing about 00.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

Yuuma's Airmaster was getting shredded by GN Fangs at first, which suggests that Throne Zwei or Arche Gundam is a part of that aberration. I'm definitely hoping that the mysterious nemesis is based on Ali Al-Saachez because of that. He was the best thing about 00.

I certainly hope the Immortal Coulasour is in your top five, at least. :colbert:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I wish to clash swords with you, shounen!

E: alt: I'm going to embrace you, Gundam!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Goddammit, this show has made me want to do a kitbash of a loving Sengoku Astray, Crossbone Maoh, and Tallgeese. How the gently caress do I even start on something like that?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I really hope Gyanko's establishing sequence is her owning a gyan piloted by her brother.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Goddammit, this show has made me want to do a kitbash of a loving Sengoku Astray, Crossbone Maoh, and Tallgeese. How the gently caress do I even start on something like that?

You build the Tallgeese and then throw out that other trash.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

chumbler posted:

I really hope Gyanko's establishing sequence is her owning a gyan piloted by her brother.

But then I can't call it the ZF Tall XX Cross

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I wonder if the chimera gundam was a bandai decision to clear off spare parts from other kits.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Yosuke posted:

This show makes me actually work on my backlog. Waiting for paint to dry now, but basically after it ended I went back to work on the MG Hi Nu I got recently.

Anyone else get the same feeling?

This show makes me wish I had a backlog to work on.

I really hope we get a Kitbash Hell Custom model at some point--and that it'll accept the tiny arms backpack from the Crossbone Set so we can give it like, 30 more arms.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

This show makes me wish I had a backlog to work on.

I really hope we get a Kitbash Hell Custom model at some point--and that it'll accept the tiny arms backpack from the Crossbone Set so we can give it like, 30 more arms.

It's being set up as a major antagonist suit. That poo poo is totally happening.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh, remember how misleading the original Ops were in places. Remember the giant lineup of 'enemy suits' in the second OP which just ended up being random stuff?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, remember how misleading the original Ops were in places. Remember the giant lineup of 'enemy suits' in the second OP which just ended up being random stuff?

I'm still waiting on an HG Abigorbine.

Edit: It's never coming. :(

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 15, 2014

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I certainly hope the Immortal Coulasour is in your top five, at least. :colbert:

Of course. He's #2, Graham/MISTAH BUSHIDO is #3.

E: 00's enemy aces in general were great. The human ones, that is.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 15, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I loved the dramatic fight on the volcano stage that never happened. And SD Command Gundam and Perfect Gundam being in the background of the shots of the Chairman and Baker looking sinister when they were Aila and Sei's Dad's stuff.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chumbler posted:

Umm the Sengoku Astray and the Crossbone Maoh both own, don't listen to this chump.

Tallgeese is still the best though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It's a unique, heavily-customised, scary-looking suit that traumatised Yuuma enough to put him off the sport for life, and was kept heavily shadowed so as not to show off too much detail. I would be astonished if it and its operator didn't end up being highly plot-significant.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

It's a unique, heavily-customised, scary-looking suit that traumatised Yuuma enough to put him off the sport for life, and was kept heavily shadowed so as not to show off too much detail. I would be astonished if it and its operator didn't end up being highly plot-significant.

At the very least, we should get an episode out of Yuuma having to face the thing and managing to forget the fear and doubt and fly again thanks to FRIENDSHIP. :buddy:

Poison Mushroom posted:

Might be difficult, given that as far as I remember, the only 1/144 scale Tallgeese is the old no grade one from Wing. Also, glancing over the instructions, the only things that I can see that would be easily swappable between the Sengoku Astray and the Crossbone Maoh are the waist/legs and the heads.

Not saying it's impossible, mind you, just that it would require a lot of hard work and effort to pull off. :shobon:

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 16, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

Wing, actually. His waifu IS a spoof of Lady Une...
poo poo, so Mantis Man is going to be dropped out of an airplane and shot mid-fall? Hell of a way to go out.

As for the episode, I will laugh if Kitbash Hell Custom turns out to be later revealed as a Frozen Teardrop design preview.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

BizarroAzrael posted:

There's no mistaking it, that's definitely a customized Hydra Gundam at the beginning. It has the shoulder claws, Zeong-like legs (no legs), and a really distinctive head with an infuriatingly stupid flimsy red fin that breaks off if you so much as look at it wrong.

AtheistMantis fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 16, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh, it'll totally have something happen with it, but how much of a major antagonist it is will depend on what they do. I mean the first series had a 'major antagonist' who was basically nonexistent until the second half of the show and was basically a goofy chill guy who wanted to make money. Team Nemesis, who seemed like they were being groomed as the main villains, were basically side characters.

The Hydra Gundam guy could be don of the Gunpla Mafia or something but he could also be goofily resolved in a joke episode where it turns out that Kousaka totally misunderstood him and was nursing a terrifying paranoid grudge for nothing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AradoBalanga posted:

poo poo, so Mantis Man is going to be dropped out of an airplane and shot mid-fall? Hell of a way to go out.

That's just silly. It'll be out the window of the Plamo club room.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Hey, you guys, stop being mean to Obright's reincarnation

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Hey, you guys, stop being mean to Obright's reincarnation

But Fumina was the one who did the Obright Stab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, it'll totally have something happen with it, but how much of a major antagonist it is will depend on what they do. I mean the first series had a 'major antagonist' who was basically nonexistent until the second half of the show and was basically a goofy chill guy who wanted to make money. Team Nemesis, who seemed like they were being groomed as the main villains, were basically side characters.

The Hydra Gundam guy could be don of the Gunpla Mafia or something but he could also be goofily resolved in a joke episode where it turns out that Kousaka totally misunderstood him and was nursing a terrifying paranoid grudge for nothing.

The original thing was regarding whether the KHC would have a prominent enough role to justify a model kit. It's getting tantalisingly hinted at in the second episode and has a personal connection to a lead character, which is far more than, say, the GM Sniper K9 ever got.

• Locked thread