Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
Put on front & rear Porterfield R4-S pads, new slotted/drilled F&R rotors, new 225/40/18 front & 275/35/18 rear Bridgestone RE760 tires, and I'm ready for track day next Wednesday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
hosed up a nut but got it off.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I got screwed.

Please tell me you drive in a place that never sees snow or rain. Those tires have worn past the wear bars and are well on their way to impersonating drag slicks. Pretty sure that's illegal almost everywhere (not that's it's regularly enforced) and in an accident I'm pretty sure insurance would refuse to pay out if they see the tires.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Looks like a perfectly good burnout tire to me, but that is about it.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Window tinting, wheel locks, backup camera. Estimated time from the dealer for the backup camera was an hour and a half, turned into two days because Chrysler can't figure out their own wiring.

I took my soon to be sold '00 528iT to a brake shop cause the brake sensor decided to go off the moment I bought the Charger, was intent on pads only even though I knew going in the rotors were long overdue, but they were so badly rusted cracks were developing and it was straight up suicide to put them back in, so I ended up burning $450 on a car I'll maybe get 3k for if I'm lucky. Having a conscience is expensive.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

2x DIY car wash buckets with "grit guards."

I cut and blistered my right hand to poo poo doing this though, i think you can see some blood in one or two of these pics

each bucket was 3 bucks on amazon, normally $12 apiece... a single 5 gal bucket and one factory-made "grit guard" would easily be $15+, and a lot of people complain that they don't fit properly

I was going to smooth out the cuts but then I noticed my dad was about to wash his + my bro's car so I ran out, gave them to him... he'll serve as guinea pig.

<ud>

after two cars, there's very little grit in the bottoms of the two buckets. I'm gonna add additional, larger holes

Lamar Smith R-TX fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 5, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Installed a GReddy profec OLED boost controller.

Now to figure out how to tune it for maximum response with out destroying my engine and then hide the gaudy loving control unit out of sight.

I had a choice between a subtle HKS unit that has no English instructions at all and the ugly unit I bought that I can configure easily with full English instructions. So I took the option of ugly because either way it was gonna get stashed in the glove box.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Got it tuned.

http://youtu.be/-is8Mz3cpQE

519whp/325wtq on 93 octane.

Johnny Mash
May 21, 2007
I hope to see you soon in La La Land

Clay, polish, wax.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Phase one of another long overdue replacement:

New hardware:

First test fitting and power-up:

Today I'm dismantling the rest of the interior for the speakers. More to come...

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Root Bear posted:

Today I'm dismantling the rest of the interior for the speakers. More to come...

Can you post your impressions of the finished product? My partner has mentioned several times that he'd like to have a car stereo with Bluetooth and aux in capabilities, and that Kenwood looked like a solid choice since his Matrix has a double-DIN stereo.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

zundfolge posted:

Can you post your impressions of the finished product? My partner has mentioned several times that he'd like to have a car stereo with Bluetooth and aux in capabilities, and that Kenwood looked like a solid choice since his Matrix has a double-DIN stereo.
I can vouch for the Pioneer fh-x700bt. No ones complained about my voice and I drive a noisy V8. Phone can be in my trunk and when I get a call I just push a button on the radio to pick up. I can even scroll through my contacts or recently called list to call people. Ive played music over the BT and it sounds great coming from my ipod. No complaints yet.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Got the new wheel bearing into the knuckle on the honda and smashed my index finger with a 4 pound sledge in the process. Also figured out why the brake light on the dash of the ranger wasnt turning off(loose connector).

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Johnny Mash posted:

Clay, polish, wax.

The Victorian police are going to have a field day with plates like yours.

Also, shiny!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Bajaha posted:

Please tell me you drive in a place that never sees snow or rain. Those tires have worn past the wear bars and are well on their way to impersonating drag slicks. Pretty sure that's illegal almost everywhere (not that's it's regularly enforced) and in an accident I'm pretty sure insurance would refuse to pay out if they see the tires.

It just passed inspection that day actually. I'm waiting till the next paycheck to get new tires. Was going to buy them last month, but a series of unfortunate events, and a bounced rent check means it has to wait.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

2x DIY car wash buckets with "grit guards."

I cut and blistered my right hand to poo poo doing this though, i think you can see some blood in one or two of these pics

each bucket was 3 bucks on amazon, normally $12 apiece... a single 5 gal bucket and one factory-made "grit guard" would easily be $15+, and a lot of people complain that they don't fit properly

I was going to smooth out the cuts but then I noticed my dad was about to wash his + my bro's car so I ran out, gave them to him... he'll serve as guinea pig.

<ud>

after two cars, there's very little grit in the bottoms of the two buckets. I'm gonna add additional, larger holes

What's the idea behind something like this?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

So the grit falls to the bottom of the bucket and the sponge wont pick it up when you go to use it on the car again.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I picked up a set of 15" 09 Focus alloys w/tires for the FiST during the winter. I got all 4 wheels and tires for $300! But now I think I went way to heavy with the spray on plasti-dip.

Sorry for the '09 cell phone picture quality picture. I will get a better one once they are dry and on car.

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009
First tentative run of my NA-to-turbo z31 (originally a 1984 300zx). Turbo's been relocated to a front/top mount with a custom log manifold. There's currently no downpipe on the car so it sounds awesome. Didn't really open it up, as I've got the timing pulled way back anyway, I wasn't sure what underhood temperatures were going to be like, and I wanted to be able to hear if anything weird started happening.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Fart Pipe posted:

So the grit falls to the bottom of the bucket and the sponge wont pick it up when you go to use it on the car again.

This, although rinsing your sponge out in a bucket full of water before going back into the soapy water again is just as effective and easier than cutting the bottom out of a bucket and drilling holes in it.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Removed and installed a ball joint on the honda with nothing but a hammer. Noticed when removing it there was no snap ring installed.

Senior Funkenstien fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 7, 2014

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Went to tarp up the trailer to get rid of a load of green waste. Didn't have a tarp for the front so I tek screwed random bits of old corrugated iron to the front instead. I really do hate that trailer.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

zundfolge posted:

Toyota Matrix, you say? He's in luck!

From Crutchfield's site:

quote:

Attention, Toyota owners
Kenwood includes a set of Toyota trim pieces that'll make this receiver look great in your dash

As far as my thoughts, I'm still tinkering with the setup and the basic functions, but I'm really happy with it so far. I'll be getting a new phone soon, I'll get to the Bluetooth eventually. The front USB and auxiliary inputs are the two main things I wanted aside from clearer and louder sound, and they work very well.

Here's the just about finished product:

I have to adjust the brackets to move the radio out a bit so it's flush with the new trim plate, but other than that, it's done.

Bonus dark night shot:

The variable color display is also a lovely change from that dull green square. :unsmith:

And a side by side comparison of the old and new front speakers:

Aside from having to drill a few new holes, I was able to re-use all of the factory mounts. Thanks to the included signal cross-overs, I was able to bypass the factory wiring for the dash-mounted tweeters entirely. I still have yet to swap out the rear speakers, but I'm already very impressed by how much better it sounds. :rock:

Johnny Mash
May 21, 2007
I hope to see you soon in La La Land

General_Failure posted:

The Victorian police are going to have a field day with plates like yours.

Also, shiny!

Thank you, sir. Took some elbow grease to accomplish. The Detailing thread has other pics and what I used on it at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474488&index=1523

Also, the cops said I'm not allowed to use Paint.net filters on my plates while I'm driving.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
Cross post from the AI general questions thread.

evilskillit posted:

Has anyone here done the timing chain on an old Chevy Cavalier with the LN2 engine? It's a 2001 with the overhead valve 2.2 engine in it. I'm supposed to do one this Saturday. It's an overhead valve engine so the timing chain is pretty short. I'm thinking I can get the whole job done through the passenger front wheel well. If not I might be a bit screwed. Anyone done this before, have any advice?

Welp I did the job over the weekend, it loving sucked for numerous reasons.

I managed to be able to do it through the front passenger wheel well. I only had to take off the inner fender liner and also the top motor mount so the engine would come down a bit for more room. I couldn't get to the oil galley tho so the old one is still in :(.

I couldn't get the timing cover off with the bottom studs in and I didn't want to drop the oil pan so I had to remove the studs, that sucked. One of them broke in the process but enough was left that I was able to re-use it. The power steering pump had to be unbolted to do the job, it's got 5 bolts and 1 of them is very hard to reach as it's under the intake manifold between the motor and the firewall. I broke the crank pulley trying to remove it because I'm a moron, so I had to make a trip to the junk yard to get a replacement because it's a dealership only part and they want $150 for it. Getting the timing cover off in limited space sucked. Getting crank pulley back on was really hard, I couldn't figure out how to hold the engine still while I drew it in. Ended up jamming a wrench between a flat spot on the back of the crank pulley and the body of the car. Clearance between the front of the engine and the fender was an issue. I was constantly raising and lowering the engine with a floor jack to reach different parts and places.

Oh, I didn't take any pictures because my hands were constantly filthy and I was constantly angry and running behind schedule, so just imagine some poor angry dude without any beer cursing at a car and banging up his knuckles all covered in grease.

But it seems to be done, my friend didn't call me this morning so I'm guessing the serpentine belt stayed on, the timing chain is working, the oil stayed in it, nothing caught on fire, etc.

TL;DR, the job sucked, everything sucks, but it's done and I'm $500 richer.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
New tie rod end and upper control arm installed.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Got tired of the belt on my XJ squealing. New gatorback belt, new idler pulley, new idler pulley bolt, and proper tension made all the difference.

Misfire on cylinder 5 tracked down to a lovely plug as well, I don't know why I ever try to use anything but Champion coppers in this brick.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Installed new headlight bulbs in the Corolla, holy crap I can see again.

Also installed some 2100k (yellow) foglight bulbs in the Forester, because otherwise what is the drat point.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I cleaned all the rust out of my pump box, and slathered everything with por15

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Bad lens :

Good Lens :

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Brand new bumper end caps for that thing are like 17 a corner on rock auto, BTW. I was going to order some for my toilet jeep before I completely gave up on making it look nicer.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, they're on my list to order, along with battery cables (loving cheap rear end bolt ons now). Fender flares on the passenger side are hosed too, trying to decide if they're coming off and getting raised, or if I'm going to actually fix them.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I redid my garage so I could fit all three cars into it. I'm pretty excited to have a real garage now.

Before

After

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Put awesome helper leafs on the rear suspension of the Rolling Amber Alert, and mounted the 265/60-R15's on the back. Tried to get to the worn out front coils to mount 235/75-R15's, but didn't have the time, so I left the 205/70-R15's on them. The thing has a ridiculous Ed Roth illustration vibe to it now.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
LED tailights, LED 3rd brake light/cargo light, removed the lumber rack, detailed the dash, and installed a Pioneer MVH-X370BT receiver in my 98 Silverado. Tomorrow I'm going to install the halo lights and the rest of the new front lenses. I'll install the cab marker lights if I have time.

I need to find time to get some real work done and put in new shocks and ball joints.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jacked the 6 back up to properly grease the brakes so I don't have to do this all over again in less than a year. Got the car seated on the jack stands and the wheels off and a wave of exhaustion hit me so I'll have to wrap it up tomorrow.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Got the updated interior installed in the T-Bird on Sunday.

Less than 3 weeks until F1 in Austin. My Thunderbird was selected to be one of the Drivers Parade cars. I'll get to drive nice and slow around CotA on race day with an F1 driver riding on back. I'll find out who when I go out for test laps this coming weekend.

We(wife and I) also did the valve seals, new electric fan(parade duty is rough on big blocks), bit more dynamat while the door cards were out, brakes, radiator flush, new headlight rings to replace broken one, fixed passenger electric window, replaced a relay in the relay bank for the hydraulic top, and more I'm forgetting. Gotta be perfect for the 2nd.

Before:

After:

If you missed my previous post about my '61, here's an exterior view as a refresher:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Oh my god that interior is AWESOME.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I love seeing updates for that Thunderbird, the new interior looks beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Love that 2-seater tonneau cover.