Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Yeah, you probably won't even hear the bell with the sound on- most of his training footage has no audio. He usually sinks that Marcelotine vs the attempted deep half sweep/back take we see from Gabi@~2:52 but she stuck really tight to him and knew when to give up on taking top position, I was impressed.

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I can't wait for fertility drugs to make its way to men's MMA as an excuse.

Do women who get popped really use this as an excuse? Like:

"I sure hope I'm pregnant today! There's nothing in the world that will make me happier than if I were carrying a baby and starting a family! In fact, I hope I'm pregnant right now but haven't realized it yet!"

*Spends two hours practicing flying armbars and hip throws*

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Moral violence is something that's inflicted on an unwilling party, the concept doesn't really apply in mutual competition.

A little late to moralchat, but I only marginally agree. If you're at a high level tournament then I totally agree. The refs are people who know what they are doing, your opponent is someone who knows exactly what they are getting into, and the facilities are probably set up with proper safety areas and all that. Go all out and it is your opponent and the refs responsibility for safety. No issue there.

But if you're at a local tournament and that's your mindset then you're an rear end in a top hat. Especially for white belts. People haven't signed up for unrestricted violence, they've signed up for a competition with the expectation that their opponent will be competing in good faith. You don't have to go out of your way to make sure your opponent is in a safe bubble or something, every type of grappling is a full contact sport and being a jerk within the ruleset is expected. But if you're intentionally finishing moves outside the competition area, not letting up if you're about to barrel into the scorer's table, stuff like that... then you're missing the spirit of the competition and just being a dick.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Thoguh posted:

A little late to moralchat, but I only marginally agree. If you're at a high level tournament then I totally agree. The refs are people who know what they are doing, your opponent is someone who knows exactly what they are getting into, and the facilities are probably set up with proper safety areas and all that. Go all out and it is your opponent and the refs responsibility for safety. No issue there.

But if you're at a local tournament and that's your mindset then you're an rear end in a top hat. Especially for white belts. People haven't signed up for unrestricted violence, they've signed up for a competition with the expectation that their opponent will be competing in good faith. You don't have to go out of your way to make sure your opponent is in a safe bubble or something, every type of grappling is a full contact sport and being a jerk within the ruleset is expected. But if you're intentionally finishing moves outside the competition area, not letting up if you're about to barrel into the scorer's table, stuff like that... then you're missing the spirit of the competition and just being a dick.

Right, but in those cases you're breaking the rules by being unsportsmanlike.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thoguh posted:

It's kind of a difficult thing to judge though, like leading with the helmet in football. Sometimes the guy is a dick and trying to spear with his helmet, sometimes someone else bumping him or a rough spot on the playing surface causes him to lower his head. In many cases it's impossible to tell which it is even with slomo replay.

It's kinda the same in grappling. There's a lot of circumstances where the white belt guy could be deliberately trying to break my arm, or he could just have bad technique and lost his balance a bit going for the arm, making it look like he was aggro-cranking when he was really just kinda falling over once he was in position.

I think that unless a competitor has a history of hurting people real bad in minor competitions, I'd like to give folks the benefit of the doubt and assume they're not actually trying to cripple people. It's just a sport where minor imperfections in technique can lead to major injuries.

There's also the case where my opponent's technique isn't good enough to tap me, but I'm also having trouble actually escaping the sub. In that case, it's not unreasonable of him to turn up the pressure to get the sub and it's not unreasonable for me to keep trying to get out. In such a situation, I might get hurt before I can get out. I don't know what to do about that other than to give the referee authority to call a technical submission or something if he thinks I'm clearly stuck, but that would be a huge loving can of worms every time such a call was made.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

There's also the case where my opponent's technique isn't good enough to tap me, but I'm also having trouble actually escaping the sub. In that case, it's not unreasonable of him to turn up the pressure to get the sub and it's not unreasonable for me to keep trying to get out. In such a situation, I might get hurt before I can get out. I don't know what to do about that other than to give the referee authority to call a technical submission or something if he thinks I'm clearly stuck, but that would be a huge loving can of worms every time such a call was made.

I had one of these at my last tournament, got the guy in a nogi ude hishigi waki gatame and got him totally flattened out on the ground, wrist flexed and all, but he just wouldn't tap! After like 15s of cranking on it and feeling his elbow stretch I tried to re-adjust to get more pressure and he broke free.

This was at the same tournament where one of our newest white belts broke his arm trying to post against a takedown because he had no idea how to fall safely (didn't even get the chance to use the DLR backtake he had been drilling all week), and another dude broke his neck after getting thrown onto the top of his head by my former-linebacker coach. Or maybe he tried to post with his head against the throw? I'm not even sure anymore.

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 15, 2014

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
that doesn't sound like that guy broke his own neck

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

A Wry Smile posted:

I had one of these at my last tournament, got the guy in a nogi ude hishigi waki gatame and got him totally flattened out on the ground, wrist flexed and all, but he just wouldn't tap! After like 15s of cranking on it and feeling his elbow stretch I tried to re-adjust to get more pressure and he broke free.

This was at the same tournament where one of our newest white belts broke his arm trying to post against a takedown because he had no idea how to fall safely (didn't even get the chance to use the DLR backtake he had been drilling all week), and another dude broke his neck after getting thrown onto the top of his head by my former-linebacker coach. Or maybe he tried to post with his head against the throw? I'm not even sure anymore.

And a salt puddle appears at the grave of Kano.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Right, but in those cases you're breaking the rules by being unsportsmanlike.

Fair enough. I was mainly just grabbing a random post from the discussion to respond to. Probably should have picked this one

Yuriy posted:

lol dude you are arguing from a perspective of morality in a sport where i dont think you get it, but the entire point is hurting people

Even in MMA if your mindset is that the entire point is hurting people you've got the completely wrong mindset. The goal is to win under whatever ruleset you're competing under. And you generally accept a risk of injury (or in the case of MMA you're pretty much accepting that no matter the outcome you're gonna be somewhat injured), and you also accept that you might end up hurting somebody. But if you even think "the entire point is hurting people" you're that guy walking around wearing TapouT shirts that nobody wants to train with or compete against. Giving and receiving injuries are just part of the game, same as ringworm or cauliflower ear. But they are about as far from the point as possible.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Even in MMA if your mindset is that the entire point is hurting people you've got the completely wrong mindset. The goal is to win under whatever ruleset you're competing under.

Right. And the ruleset of most submission grappling competitions doesn't require you to abort your sweep or takedown if your opponent is about to go off the mat. That's the ref's job. Finish your takedown, finish your sweep, and let your opponent worry about his defense.

You shouldn't be aiming to double-leg your opponent through the timekeeper's table. But if you shoot a blast double you also shouldn't be stopping mid-penetration step because you realize that the mat ends right behind him. That's not your job.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

A Wry Smile posted:

This was at the same tournament where one of our newest white belts broke his arm trying to post against a takedown because he had no idea how to fall safely (didn't even get the chance to use the DLR backtake he had been drilling all week)

This is amazing.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Thoguh posted:

Even in MMA if your mindset is that the entire point is hurting people you've got the completely wrong mindset. The goal is to win under whatever ruleset you're competing under. And you generally accept a risk of injury (or in the case of MMA you're pretty much accepting that no matter the outcome you're gonna be somewhat injured), and you also accept that you might end up hurting somebody. But if you even think "the entire point is hurting people" you're that guy walking around wearing TapouT shirts that nobody wants to train with or compete against. Giving and receiving injuries are just part of the game, same as ringworm or cauliflower ear. But they are about as far from the point as possible.

I think you're misunderstanding the point of what I meant, I realize the point isn't to cause pain I'm not some weirdo sadist, what I mean is more like:
I mean why do you throw a punch to the body? It hurts.
Why do you try to not be armbarred? The alternative hurts.
etc.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

origami posted:

This is amazing.

lmao.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
throughout my competitive fights my goal has been to win. even in boxing / MT, my goal isn't to hurt the dude, hurting the dude is just a by-product of winning. i'm sure there are many people who love to hurt people, and winning is just the by-product, but objectively, there's no difference.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
glad it's started again

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
You should pay attention to the opinions and discussion.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I don't know about you guys but I wrench the gently caress out of my heelhooks in my amateur nogi competitions. Gotta get that gold

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I mean, the guy could armbar me!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I'm liking all these strawmen.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

And a salt puddle appears at the grave of Kano.

Put it in the op.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
here's something for you to write down, what I get from BJJ and what I regard as decent actions are different to you. note that please. it's very simple.

I'll explain further for those in the back. I get self defense, cameradery, fitness and improved health from my class. competition doesn't come in to. and thinking that deliberately slamming someone into concrete is an act of a thug may jar with your opinion but it is valid.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

ICHIBAHN posted:

here's something for you to write down, what I get from BJJ and what I regard as decent actions are different to you. note that please. it's very simple.

I'll explain further for those in the back. I get self defense, cameradery, fitness and improved health from my class. competition doesn't come in to. and thinking that deliberately slamming someone into concrete is an act of a thug may jar with your opinion but it is valid.

except that everybody in a tournament setting knows what they are signing up for. Its not like people are going to BJJ class then going out to the bar and loving up randos for shits and giggles. I bet you think people who play football are thugs too.

"look at that thug. he just tackled the poor defenseless ball carrier. What if he gets turfburn?! Those pads look like they barely helped at all."

You should probably just stop posting here if its that hard for you to understand.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anyway, with my class; been working on being in the mount / escaping the mount this week. Never have I felt more like a drowning baby. Ridiculously uncomfortable place to be place. Important to know what to do I guess though I'm taking away mostly what NOT to do (which is very useful too). Also, bought a second gi. My current one is too heavy and restrictive. Got a smaller one.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
If he wasn't such a thug he would just let you up.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pwny_Xpress posted:

except that everybody in a tournament setting knows what they are signing up for. Its not like people are going to BJJ class then going out to the bar and loving up randos for shits and giggles. I bet you think people who play football are thugs too.

"look at that thug. he just tackled the poor defenseless ball carrier. What if he gets turfburn?! Those pads look like they barely helped at all."

You should probably just stop posting here if its that hard for you to understand.

You've made your point, and I respect you. Stop insulting me and insinuating I have no right to post here. God bless.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dangersim posted:

If he wasn't such a thug he would just let you up.

He? It was a few people, not all men. Anyway, I was learning so I didn't want to be allowed up.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
ICHI - why don't you ask your coach or something since you're not getting much out of this thread? Being competitive and being a sadist do not have to overlap and perhaps that is what you are missing.

Picking someone up, walking ten feet and then dropping their head onto concrete from four feet up? Pretty hosed up.

Working for a butterfly sweep on the edge of the mat and there's no real estate left aside from a hard surface and some precariously placed empty cardboard boxes? Green light.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

origami posted:

ICHI - why don't you ask your coach or something since you're not getting much out of this thread? Being competitive and being a sadist do not have to overlap and perhaps that is what you are missing.

Eh? I get a lot from this thread. It's usually very friendly full of good ideas and advice, everyone seems very cool. What would I say to my coach in this bizarre scenario?

Anyway, let's move on. My new gi is black.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

ICHIBAHN posted:

You've made your point, and I respect you. Stop insulting me and insinuating I have no right to post here. God bless.

You are free to post here, but since you decided to wander in and insult all of the posters we are free to make fun of you.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

Eh? I get a lot from this thread. It's usually very friendly full of good ideas and advice, everyone seems very cool. What would I say to my coach in this bizarre scenario?

Anyway, let's move on. My new gi is black.

The majority of the 'cool' people are telling you you're an idiot though and nobody gives a poo poo about your gi.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
:(

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Also you're bad at things I like and you can't please a woman sexually.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pwny_Xpress posted:

except that everybody in a tournament setting knows what they are signing up for. Its not like people are going to BJJ class then going out to the bar and loving up randos for shits and giggles.

This is where I disagree with you, the part about saying people signed up to be deliberately slammed into the concrete. People don't sign up for a tournament thinking they are gong to have to fight someone who would deliberately go out there and slam them into the concrete just to score a takedown. They signed up for a Judo/BJJ/Wrestling/Whatever tournament knowing there is a risk that something could happen and they could get hurt. If somebody deliberately is doing something like that then they are an rear end in a top hat who shouldn't be allowed to be there. When you're competing you should be able to assume that the person across from you is doing so in good faith under the spirit of the rules, not just out there to win at any and all costs. Opinions like that are why MMA has a bad name and can't get sanctioned in some places.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 16, 2014

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I think folks are caught up on this nebulous idea of concrete being positioned around a grappling mat.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
At non crap tournaments they build in enough space that you have to really try to leave the pads.

So let's all chill and talk more about the berimbolo white belt and hespect for tradition

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

You have every right to post here, and you have every right to your opinions. But the rest of us have the right to treat your opinions as worthless, too.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
smh dude. ye blew it at the end there.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Could we change the thread title to "Thug-Based Fighting Arts"?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

ICHIBAHN posted:

smh dude. ye blew it at the end there.

It is okay to disagree about things and it's nice to appreciate many viewpoints. Don't sweat it to get flak for stuff. Just train hard and take joy however you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Novum posted:

It is okay to disagree about things and it's nice to appreciate many viewpoints. Don't sweat it to get flak for stuff. Just train hard and take joy however you like.

No, this is wrong. He should feel bad for being a sanctimonious loving knob.