Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Question: I'm toying with the idea of picking up a Chaplain at some point to serve as a secondary HQ for higher-point. It seems like the only way to replace the semi-crappy Crozius is to give him a relic instead, and that thought the Burning Blade is tempting it's an awful lot of points for a guy who's already going to be pretty point-bloated with either a bike or terminator armor. Is the idea of giving him Teeth of Terra and one of the above laughable? It seems like it might work pretty well if he's teamed up with assault terminators or a bike squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Have Cataphract's band record an intro song for the show. I'm pretty sure those guys can rock...

Cataphract saying "Viene la jamón!" followed by singing "nerds" to the theme from Terminator.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

PantsOptional posted:

Question: I'm toying with the idea of picking up a Chaplain at some point to serve as a secondary HQ for higher-point. It seems like the only way to replace the semi-crappy Crozius is to give him a relic instead, and that thought the Burning Blade is tempting it's an awful lot of points for a guy who's already going to be pretty point-bloated with either a bike or terminator armor. Is the idea of giving him Teeth of Terra and one of the above laughable? It seems like it might work pretty well if he's teamed up with assault terminators or a bike squad.

I think you have you ask yourself, what do you need the Chaplain for? At S 6, WS 5 and rerolling attacks, he's good in CC against anything other than MEQ, including most vehicles - a chaplain on a bike or jump pack has a fairly decent chance of killing or severely damaging a rear armor 10 vehicle on a charge. If you want him to be a murder machine then you'll have to pay for it but if he's just there to be a decent fighter/buff a squad I don't think you need to do much with him beyond giving him the bike/armor/whatever to match the squad. His Zealot is really what you're paying for.

Edit: And if you're set on having a supporting HQ I'd ask whether a Chaplain would fit better or a Librarian for the psychic phase.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Direwolf posted:

I think you have you ask yourself, what do you need the Chaplain for? At S 6, WS 5 and rerolling attacks, he's good in CC against anything other than MEQ, including most vehicles - a chaplain on a bike or jump pack has a fairly decent chance of killing or severely damaging a rear armor 10 vehicle on a charge. If you want him to be a murder machine then you'll have to pay for it but if he's just there to be a decent fighter/buff a squad I don't think you need to do much with him beyond giving him the bike/armor/whatever to match the squad. His Zealot is really what you're paying for.

Yeah, that's a good point. I look at his stats and I try to think of how to improve him but really his function is to spur the rest of the squad, and if I have 55 points to spare or whatever I'm sure there are better places to put them.

quote:

Edit: And if you're set on having a supporting HQ I'd ask whether a Chaplain would fit better or a Librarian for the psychic phase.

You're most likely right here, and that's one of the reasons why I was only toying with the idea. I've never run a Chaplain before but I've had great success recently with a Telepathy Librarian so I'll probably stick with that.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Have Cataphract's band record an intro song for the show. I'm pretty sure those guys can rock...

Carl and I have already discussed this... it's in the works as soon as we finish a song called "the bucket list"

completely unrelated but does anyone know of any interesting types of buckets?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

PantsOptional posted:

Yeah, that's a good point. I look at his stats and I try to think of how to improve him but really his function is to spur the rest of the squad, and if I have 55 points to spare or whatever I'm sure there are better places to put them.

You're most likely right here, and that's one of the reasons why I was only toying with the idea. I've never run a Chaplain before but I've had great success recently with a Telepathy Librarian so I'll probably stick with that.

What does your full list look like? And what's your current warlord?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Full list depends on points of course but is generally:

Tactics: Imperial Fists
CM on Bike with Relic Blade/Shield Eternal (alternately, Captain on bike with Relic Blade/Storm Shield)
Librarian (usually either embedded in a tac squad or a sternguard squad)
Sternguard in a Rhino (may change to Drop Pod but I hate the model)
Bike Squad as Troops
Tac Squads in Rhinos with a multi-Melta and either meltagun or plasma, depending on purpose of squad
Thunderfire Cannon (have 2, don't usually take them both)
Lascannon Devastators

Just got back into the game a short while ago and so I haven't got a lot of heavy armor or flyers yet but I was planning on picking up a Stormtalon relatively soon and expanding out from there.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Nothing to see here

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

PantsOptional posted:

Full list depends on points of course but is generally:

Tactics: Imperial Fists
CM on Bike with Relic Blade/Shield Eternal (alternately, Captain on bike with Relic Blade/Storm Shield)
Librarian (usually either embedded in a tac squad or a sternguard squad)
Sternguard in a Rhino (may change to Drop Pod but I hate the model)
Bike Squad as Troops
Tac Squads in Rhinos with a multi-Melta and either meltagun or plasma, depending on purpose of squad
Thunderfire Cannon (have 2, don't usually take them both)
Lascannon Devastators

Just got back into the game a short while ago and so I haven't got a lot of heavy armor or flyers yet but I was planning on picking up a Stormtalon relatively soon and expanding out from there.

Not a bad start. although very hodgepodge-y. Tac marines in rhinos can be very overwhelming even at high levels of play with good support. They are not as good in 7th now that knights are harder to kill and are kind of a thing but for environments that don't have 10+ knights among ~20 players it can work very well. My list that won me a GT was:

Ravenguard
Chapter master, bike, shield eternal, hammer, artificer armor (I would make this a fist now)
5x 10 man tac squad melta, combi melta, multi melta, rhino
3x stormtalon, skyhammer
2x thunderfire

The ravenguard lets the rhinos move up to the midfield on turn zero which then you can rush up the chapter master and have him join a squad as all the melta/Combi combat squads bail out (leaving the multo melta in the rhino as a bunker).

Bikes are cool as part of the white scars grav/melta rush or to fill the troop slot instead of scouts for semi hidden scoring/harassers when you have points to spare. Otherwise I wouldn't bring them.

I talked about lascannon devs earlier today.

I do like sternguard but they are always the first on the chopping block for me. Maybe if I was doing some 9+ pod list I'd try them but otherwise I'd rather have tac marines. Speaking of pods, go big or don't bring them. They are awesome now they they are super scoring but a solo/duo first turn pod(s) is/are just giving up first blood.

I don't think you need to have a second HQ, much less a chaplain. Unless you are doing some major CC deathstar I'd pass, he doesn't provide much benefit to tac marines or whatever.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

Carl and I have already discussed this... it's in the works as soon as we finish a song called "the bucket list"

completely unrelated but does anyone know of any interesting types of buckets?

The kind with a hole in it? Dear Liza...

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Big Willy Style posted:

Sick!

Carl, you do fantastic work with your podcast, my only honest complaint is that intro song. It's a bit piss weak, mate. You need something that rips off Bolt Thrower.

That's actually a friends band... and its a lot harder than our original intro music :P

WhiteWolf123 posted:

This is my nerd dream at the moment. It took me awhile to work up the courage to ask him though because I didn't want to be a pain in the rear end.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 15, 2014

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Naramyth posted:

Ravenguard
Chapter master, bike, shield eternal, hammer, artificer armor (I would make this a fist now)
5x 10 man tac squad melta, combi melta, multi melta, rhino
3x stormtalon, skyhammer
2x thunderfire

Around here you'd never get a game with a list like that, solely for the 3 flyers. Pitchforks and torches may be involved.

I don't think I've posted my list in here so here you go, this is how you do hodgepodge-y.

Farseer (Jetbike, Anath'lan, Mantle)
5x Wraithblades (Ghost Axe + Forceshield)
5x Dire Avengers / Wave Serpent (Twin-Linked Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon, Holofield)
5x Dire Avengers / Wave Serpent (Twin-Linked Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon, Holofield)
7x Warp Spiders
3x War Walkers (2x Brightlance each)
Wraithknight (2x Heavy Wraithcannon)
Wraithlord (2x Flamer, 2x Brightlance, Ghostglaive)

Now that's some podge. It's also pretty much what I have painted right now :v:. Seems to work fine though, maybe not tournament quality but certainly good enough to win fairly often. Still, I'm open to suggestions so long as they don't involve more Wave Serpents or Wraithknights. You know, because pitchforks.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Sykic posted:

Around here you'd never get a game with a list like that, solely for the 3 flyers.

Scrubs.

In my group we currently have a 2 knight list, a 3 knight 3 flier list, a 3 wraithknight 5 serpent list, one nid air (5 fliers)/demons, one nid air with 3 planes allied in, and one 10 flier list, one sw hq spam deathstar, and a dude rolling a stompa.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Naramyth posted:

Scrubs.

In my group we currently have a 2 knight list, a 3 knight 3 flier list, a 3 wraithknight 5 serpent list, one nid air (5 fliers)/demons, one nid air with 3 planes allied in, and one 10 flier list, one sw hq spam deathstar, and a dude rolling a stompa.
Just reading those lists made me break out in hives.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Naramyth posted:

Scrubs.

one sw hq spam deathstar

Tell me more :allears:

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Naramyth posted:

Scrubs.

Why can't I stop screaming all of a sudden?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Naramyth posted:

Scrubs.

Smugly bring a revenant titan and some wave serpents or just two warhound titans with twin turbo lasers

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Sykic posted:

Why can't I stop screaming all of a sudden?

Because there is a backup chorus of other screaming goons?

VVVVV- drat right.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 16, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hencoe posted:

Because there is a backup chorus of other screaming goons?
We are legion (and terrible at this game)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Crossposting from the painting thread.
So I had a random idea for a Tzeentch themed chaos army the other day and decided to paint up a marine just to see how it would work. The whole idea was to make an army, or in the case of the test model, a marine that is completely devoid of color and desaturated. I chose to do a Blood Angel as the test figure, and I think it came out okay, which is good because shading the armor was very time consuming. I also based it in a way that the earth is being desaturated around the marine's feet.

Let me know what you guys think.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 16, 2014

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Naramyth posted:

Not a bad start. although very hodgepodge-y.

Oh, it is the hodge-iest. It's mostly constructed from "poo poo I bought off other goons" and "all the poo poo my former roommate gave me to entice me back into playing." I also don't play in circles where flyers are super common, and knights even less so, so I don't have to worry too much about that.

that said, it's very much "the army I have" and not "the army I want" but that's coming along piece by piece. Until then it's dice, beer, and blowing myself up with plasma.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

jadebullet posted:

deletia

I like the concept, but I think it should be much starker if you want it to look deliberate; currently, it just sort of looks like a kind of unfinished model.

There are other monochrome/greyscale armies, I'll try to find some but iirc there was a fantasy army that had a real stark, cool effect.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
For black and white you need to go really extreme on the contrast, otherwise it will look too plain. Here's one I liked a lot:

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
I'm working on a set of Deffkoptas right now and I wondering how best to do the base. Do most people use the flying base or not use a base at all? I feel like transporting these will be a nightmare.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

CyberLord XP posted:

I'm working on a set of Deffkoptas right now and I wondering how best to do the base. Do most people use the flying base or not use a base at all? I feel like transporting these will be a nightmare.

Most people use flying bases. Just don't glue them into the bases and they're easy enough to transport; it's not like they're the old metal landspeeders or the metal deffkopta.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Naramyth posted:

Scrubs.

I'm very happy all you guys found each other to pummel in a big sweaty mess.

I long for the days of min 50% troop picks with no more than 25% in HQ. It made this little game of squad based combat pretty fun. Of course if everyone is playing nothing but top tier units in a mashup of every great unit that's fine too as long as everyone is onboard before they show up.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

LingcodKilla posted:

I long for the days of min 50% troop picks with no more than 25% in HQ. It made this little game of squad based combat pretty fun. Of course if everyone is playing nothing but top tier units in a mashup of every great unit that's fine too as long as everyone is onboard before they show up.

I'm glad I live in a meta where I can take Storm Guardians, Striking Scorpions, Illic Nightspear and some Pathfinder buddies, no waveserpents or wraiths, and still win some games. :unsmith:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

LingcodKilla posted:

That sounds terrible to me. I do not want to have 5-6 Tactical Squads in a 2k point army. And ironically, that's what Naramyth was actually doing until 7th made Knights more survivable.

My group allows Unbound and so far I'm the only one who's used it, and that was just because I own too many Elites for my own good. They're the most fun to paint, you see. I have won zero games with Unbound.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

CyberLord XP posted:

i use the back to base ix magnetic bases

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Cataphract posted:

I just did a group order of these after getting a few (attached to Falcons/Wave Serpents) from another goon and they are amazing.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

jadebullet posted:

Crossposting from the painting thread.
So I had a random idea for a Tzeentch themed chaos army the other day and decided to paint up a marine just to see how it would work. The whole idea was to make an army, or in the case of the test model, a marine that is completely devoid of color and desaturated. I chose to do a Blood Angel as the test figure, and I think it came out okay, which is good because shading the armor was very time consuming. I also based it in a way that the earth is being desaturated around the marine's feet.

Let me know what you guys think.

Yeah, right now it just kind of looks like it's primed and not painted. The earth should also be a much brighter contrast to show that it's intentional, and maybe more of a fade from the bright color to the grey in the earth to show the effect.

Sykic posted:

Around here you'd never get a game with a list like that, solely for the 3 flyers. Pitchforks and torches may be involved.

I don't think I've posted my list in here so here you go, this is how you do hodgepodge-y.

Farseer (Jetbike, Anath'lan, Mantle)
5x Wraithblades (Ghost Axe + Forceshield)
7x Warp Spiders
3x War Walkers (2x Brightlance each)
Wraithknight (2x Heavy Wraithcannon)
Wraithlord (2x Flamer, 2x Brightlance, Ghostglaive)

Now that's some podge. It's also pretty much what I have painted right now :v:. Seems to work fine though, maybe not tournament quality but certainly good enough to win fairly often. Still, I'm open to suggestions so long as they don't involve more Wave Serpents or Wraithknights. You know, because pitchforks.

What do the Wraithblades do here? Super slow, can't shoot. Chill with the Wraithlord?
How do you deal with hordes?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

LingcodKilla posted:

I don't remember those days. I remember the days of min 25% troops, max 50% characters. It made this little game of space knights and cyborg demons pretty fun. :v:

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Direwolf posted:

What do the Wraithblades do here? Super slow, can't shoot. Chill with the Wraithlord?
How do you deal with hordes?

The Wraithblades just look pretty and occasionally beat on a destroyed transport's passengers. They also do a decent job of looking more dangerous than they are and absorbing fire. Hordes aren't an issue as no-one around here runs them, the closest we get to a horde army here is a full unit of Fire Warriors.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

jadebullet posted:

Desaturation

I agree with the other sentiments; give it more contrast, the whites whiter, the blacks blacker, etc. If you're feeling saucy, you might want to consider making their bases a bright colorful fungal forest theme. Make mushrooms or other plant life with bright colors that fade to grey near the marine.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Sykic posted:

I find it mildly amusing that three flyers (two of them HP2) are apparently enough to bring out the pitchforks, but two Wraithknights and two Serpents are totally kosher. :confused:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

AbusePuppy posted:

I find it mildly amusing that three flyers (two of them HP2) are apparently enough to bring out the pitchforks, but two Wraithknights and two Serpents are totally kosher. :confused:

The only moral cheese is my cheese.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

PeterWeller posted:

I don't remember those days. I remember the days of min 25% troops, max 50% characters. It made this little game of space knights and cyborg demons pretty fun. :v:

Yeah I remember that too but second wasn't that good compared the 3ed tournies.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Cataphract posted:

Can you link what you mean? I can't find them on the site.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

AbusePuppy posted:

It's only one wraithknight and a measly 2 serpents instead of the 5 people are used to. I'd still laugh him from the table for buying a Wraithknight though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I bought this bunch of derelict spacemans for $130, They're in need of a little TLC but otherwise in pretty great shape and there's a lot :)
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/060b819y81z282i/AAAr320Wbk0N97iBZq1K37kMa#/

Now obviously this army was created when there were no flyers and vehicles were rare, so what should i add to make it slightly competetive other than a few rhinos? the old rhino will be used for my gaming club's loaner army.

• Locked thread