Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Tensokuu posted:

Marvel just announced starting in April that they'll be doing a Rebels tie-in comic called Kanan - The Last Padawan. If anything, the cover art is kinda nifty in that Star Wars way.

I guess by giving the protagonist a goatee and greasy ponytail they're catering to their target audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think their target audience is too young for facial hair.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Oh my god this is amazing. The silly Chinese text makes it too

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

I think their target audience is too young for facial hair.
But one day...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So Palpatine's new, canonical first name is... Sheev.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

So Palpatine's new, canonical first name is... Sheev.

Source?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Tarkin novel.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
With a name like that, I can see why he became such an rear end in a top hat now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't the Emperor's very early (I believe it was in one of Lucas's very early ANH treatments) real name "Cos Dashit", or was that just a SuperShadow invention?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Metal Loaf posted:

Wasn't the Emperor's very early (I believe it was in one of Lucas's very early ANH treatments) real name "Cos Dashit", or was that just a SuperShadow invention?
SuperShadow

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
"Cos" was a long-rumored thing, and the Plagieus novel paid lip service to it by naming Palpatine's father Cosinga

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Also, Sheev? Really? Sheev sounds like the name of a gross nerd with a nasally voice and a perspiration problem who likes to smell women's hair on the bus, not someone who managed to overthrow a millennia-old government and instate himself as supreme ruler for life.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

This was from the original draft. In the Dark Horse "The Star Wars" comic, Cos Dashit is in one or two of the issues. He kind of looks like the Emperor from Dune.

I think the SuperShadow first name for Palpatine was something like Dantus.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm also pretty sure he's referred to as Cos Dashit in the original novelization of ANH. Pretty terrible name and I can see why they dropped it and went for "Palpatine" instead because it literally has poo poo in it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm also pretty sure he's referred to as Cos Dashit in the original novelization of ANH. Pretty terrible name and I can see why they dropped it and went for "Palpatine" instead because it literally has poo poo in it.

The novelization referred to him strictly as Palpatine.

Romeo Reborn
Aug 19, 2014

by Ion Helmet
:nws:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Romeo Reborn posted:

Did someone say orgy?

[img-cmon-son]
No, sorry. I think you have the wrong thread.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

"Why did the Rebellion start?"
"Cos Dashit happened."

:v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Wait, isn't the guy who wrote the Tarkin novel the same one who did Plagueis? In effect, the same dude who consciously made the decision for Palpatine to eschew a first name is retconning his own stuff?

I mean I guess you can have both of the ideas be true, and it'd still work. Young Palpatine, upset at his father for naming him SHEEV, chose to go by his family name exclusively.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Plageius was surprisingly good, although it did kind of beg the question of "why are we even trying to make Phantom Menace make sense?"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Plageius was surprisingly good, although it did kind of beg the question of "why are we even trying to make Phantom Menace make sense?"

So we can have a really awesome book about Palpatine.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Drone posted:

Wait, isn't the guy who wrote the Tarkin novel the same one who did Plagueis? In effect, the same dude who consciously made the decision for Palpatine to eschew a first name is retconning his own stuff?

I mean I guess you can have both of the ideas be true, and it'd still work. Young Palpatine, upset at his father for naming him SHEEV, chose to go by his family name exclusively.

According to the panel at NYCC, the name came from Lucas who invented it for Phantom Menace, but then actually was aware enough to decide not to use it. And now that he's gone, the new Disney Story Group decided to implement it into the new canon and had him include it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

At this point why would you even bother giving him a first name? it's not like it adds anything at all.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

According to the panel at NYCC, the name came from Lucas who invented it for Phantom Menace, but then actually was aware enough to decide not to use it. And now that he's gone, the new Disney Story Group decided to implement it into the new canon and had him include it.

Then I think we can all just be happy that his name isn't Insanus Palpatine.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

To be fair, Plagueis did establish that Palpatine originally had a first name, but disliked it and preferred to just use his surname instead.

And now we know why.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
The problem is, what name would fit? Is there a name that could possibly be okay? He has to have one, judging by usual SW practice.

What name does not get into either [unsubtle]/[ordinary]/[stupid]/[incomprehensible]/[racist]?

I strain to imagine any name that could live up to the hype and scrutiny of being his.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

I would've been completely fine with him having an ordinary name. If it worked for Luke and Ben, it can work for Palpatine.

e: Tom is growing on me. Tom Palpatine.

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 16, 2014

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
I've hated it anytime they've decided to give characters first names. Realistically, I know they have first names, but it's drat distracting when all of a sudden it's Gilad Pellaeon or whatever stupid name they gave Ackbar. I think Wilhuff isn't that bad, but it still irks me. Sheev is just dumb.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

buffybot posted:

I've hated it anytime they've decided to give characters first names. Realistically, I know they have first names, but it's drat distracting when all of a sudden it's Gilad Pellaeon or whatever stupid name they gave Ackbar. I think Wilhuff isn't that bad, but it still irks me. Sheev is just dumb.

"Natasi"

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012
Sterling Palpatine was clearly the best choice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurken posted:

Sterling Palpatine was clearly the best choice.

Only if he wears a black turtleneck.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Nicodemo would also have been acceptable, but only if his last name was retconned to Palpatino.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Flagrant Abuse Palpatine

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The only plausible answer is the one Palpatine himself gives in The Phantom Menace:

quote:

I must be Frank, Your Majesty.

EDIT: The latest episode featured Star Tours and Captain Rex! I loved that ride at Disney World!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Tours_(real-world)

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 16, 2014

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

buffybot posted:

Captain Panaka's first name was Quarsh. Made from taking the surname of the actor and removing the last two letters from it. Creative!

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Star Wars Tales volumes are selling for two bucks a pop for Kindle. I wonder if we'll see any more big deals before the end of the year.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

For the next 11 days, a boatload of Star Wars comics are for sale on Humble Book Bundle, with more to be unlocked next week.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Reminder:

Sheev.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Sheev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008