Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kly
Aug 8, 2003

No way man! Look at all these huge changes and improvements coming in this next update thats just around the corner!
http://pastebin.com/jnZfRNL4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad I'm going to be able to play pong while I wait for starbound's sizable community of programmers recreate more cellphone games for free.

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

Me too

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Kly posted:

No way man! Look at all these huge changes and improvements coming in this next update thats just around the corner!
http://pastebin.com/jnZfRNL4

I am glad you are excited about the forthcoming changes in the upcoming update which will be arriving soon.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Supernorn posted:

I am glad you are excited about the forthcoming changes in the upcoming update which will be arriving soon.

Supernorn I have a plat cert for you, but Idk how to get it to you.

Advise.

Also, we're all saying the game is dead ironically right? I'm starting to think people are being serious.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

rip irony

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rip dead irony.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Supernorn posted:

Supernorn, could I ask you to pass a question on to the rest of the team for me?
It would be really nice if modders could set masks on armor that hide the base playermodel like helmet masks do for hair. This way we could have stuff like cyborg tank treads or big goofy power armor without an arm or a leg poking through.
Is this something that would even be possible?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Also, we're all saying the game is dead ironically right? I'm starting to think people are being serious.

It's only shitposting when someone I don't like does it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Babe Magnet posted:

It's only shitposting when someone I don't like does it.

Nah I think as long as someone unironically gets mad, it's not poo poo posting.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Nah I think as long as someone unironically gets mad, it's not poo poo posting.

It's only getting mad when someone I don't like does it.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Cicadas! posted:

Supernorn, could I ask you to pass a question on to the rest of the team for me?
It would be really nice if modders could set masks on armor that hide the base playermodel like helmet masks do for hair. This way we could have stuff like cyborg tank treads or big goofy power armor without an arm or a leg poking through.
Is this something that would even be possible?

sure thing, I'll ask about this tomorrow.

Turtlicious posted:

Supernorn I have a plat cert for you, but Idk how to get it to you.

Advise.

Finally, now I can post in GBS without the plat posters lording it up with their grenade icons.

In the meantime, I'll leave you with the weekly pupdate:

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 15, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dog is much cuter when not flailing with mouth open.

I approve of this feature development.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Thanks a bunch, Supernorn! :D
You should watch that dog though, it looks like it's plotting something.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
In honor of this news I am buying five Starbounds, it only seems fair for all the hard work CF has done.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey Supernorn, I've been out of modding, do you know if the next one will change everything modding wise?

I feel like you can't mod for nightlies because everything is different now, and modding was like 99% of the fun I was getting from it.q

Supernorn MAY have me on ignore, so someone quote this at him or answer me, also I was serious about the plat.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Tiny programmable interfaces could be cool, but has any game ever managed implementing hacking minigames that was, well, enjoyable? At best I can think of it being busywork that doesn't make you want to swear at the screen just for it being there. I know my eyes don't play well with "Find the letters in the pile of letters that may or may not be moving" sort for example.

This is on top of the fact you wouldn't be able to quicksave before "Hack this to progress in the mission, or fail and make your life hell" mission hacks in starbound.

Turtlicious posted:

Hey Supernorn, I've been out of modding, do you know if the next one will change everything modding wise?

I feel like you can't mod for nightlies because everything is different now, and modding was like 99% of the fun I was getting from it.q

Supernorn MAY have me on ignore, so someone quote this at him or answer me, also I was serious about the plat.

How could he have quoted you is he had you on ignore? Granted, I'm not up on the ignore button stuff.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 15, 2014

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
From the last time I delved into the nightly files, and from what's been posted,

Theres a brand new system to replace the _merge functionality that's much more powerful and apparently more intuitive

Status effects are completely new

Some assets may be renamed

lua scripting was added to a bunch of things, and objects had some stuff added in their files for wiring

We got some more stuff to play with in regards to generated guns - they can take powerprojectiles now. It's the same system used to make the bow - click and hold to fire a different projectile. It can be used to make randomly generated bows, charge weapons, and or weapons with alternate fire modes. Look what Djinn did with his Peglaci mod if you wanna see all the cool things you can do with powerprojectiles

Monsters had a lot of things changed - parts actually define some of the stats of the monster and its abilities IIRC, so you can make a poison attack matched to a snake head or something. Also color pallets are linked to biomes

There's quests and a quest system now to gently caress with

We can do GUI things

Loot tables work differently and from what I saw, much better

If your mod didn't have a whole lot of _merge bits in it, or an excessive amount of assets, it should be easy to update it to the new version, and you've got a whole bunch of new poo poo to play with.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Section Z posted:

How could he have quoted you is he had you on ignore? Granted, I'm not up on the ignore button stuff.

because SALR didn't highlight the guy quoting me as pink :blush: Sorry.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kly posted:

The same update they said was inbound 2 weeks ago? Or is this the update they said was inbound 6 months ago?

A century from now, our grandchildren will recount the Tale of the Chuckling Fish as some sort of monkey paw story.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Good to see people still talking about this dead game. RIP

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Afraid of Audio posted:

In honor of this news I am buying five Starbounds, it only seems fair for all the hard work CF has done.

New blog post: "To all the naysayers, starbound sales have more than DOUBLED this month! Thanks for the support, luv u guyz <3"

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Devour or Fire posted:

New blog post: "To all the naysayers, starbound sales have more than DOUBLED this month! Thanks for the support, luv u guyz <3"

Lmao, god drat

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
even the dog looks incomplete

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Party Alarm posted:

Monsters had a lot of things changed - parts actually define some of the stats of the monster and its abilities IIRC, so you can make a poison attack matched to a snake head or something. Also color pallets are linked to biomes

Not saying that I called it, but these were exactly the suggestions I posted earlier about random monster generation and I'm happy to know they're going in that direction. The next few days might just make me a believer again.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I wouldn't say you called it either because they've literally been talking about changing monsters to do that for months now. Before the last update, even. We bring this up every time we talk about monsters, lol

Can't wait for the update so I can get back to modding. All the new stuff will be cool too, I guess.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

I wouldn't say you called it either because they've literally been talking about changing monsters to do that for months now. Before the last update, even. We bring this up every time we talk about monsters, lol

Can't wait for the update so I can get back to modding. All the new stuff will be cool too, I guess.

Yep, I look forward to it as well. I hope my friends have more stable performance with Starbound, since them being unable to join in MP sort of sapped alot of enjoyment from it for me

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So, when's it coming out?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Soon™©®

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

What a suprise turtle gave up on modding in this game too!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Devour or Fire posted:

Starbound is in fashion for October because it's a loving ghost.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

Starbound is in fashion for October because it's a loving ghost.

poo poo, not bad. But gotta get a lame pun in there somehow.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
is this game out yet

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You're out

outta this thread! bitch!

new race looking good, can't wait for the update

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 17, 2014

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Uh... What am I looking at here? :psyduck:
Why does the ship have a mohawk? Who sprayed the walls with industrial flocking? What does that unintelligible text say? Why is the bug-eyed dog-man's head so enormous?
where is the mutt cutts sign

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Babe Magnet posted:

You're out

outta this thread! bitch!

new race looking good, can't wait for the update

You are good people. :unsmith:

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
You probably think that's funny, but the only people who are going to keep supporting this game to any degree after release will be the ones who appreciate a platform that lets them easily mod in their own lovely homegrown yiff gypsies to use on erp servers for only fifteen twentyish bucks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It works for skyrim. Thousands of gigs of elf boobs and dragon dicks in return for a couple of SPERGs and SkyRe's is a good trade by my book.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Devour or Fire posted:

You probably think that's funny, but the only people who are going to keep supporting this game to any degree after release will be the ones who appreciate a platform that lets them easily mod in their own lovely homegrown yiff gypsies to use on erp servers for only fifteen twentyish bucks.

I don't understand the anger at the devs all of a sudden? Did they make fun of Goons or tell them they were not special fat pancakes or something?

When did the attitude change that everybody thought the game was going to turn into poo poo, I think I missed that meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bitter Beard posted:

I don't understand the anger at the devs all of a sudden? Did they make fun of Goons or tell them they were not special fat pancakes or something?

When did the tide change all of a sudden, I think I missed that meeting.

It didn't, the people posting in the thread did.

• Locked thread