Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

maou shoujo posted:

Of course there is. This is why the term "otaku" exists, it was invented for mocking shut-in nerds who use stilted, excessively formal grammar. It's very closely analogous to the english term "neckbeard" in describing social ineptitude. Just remember that next time you see a japanophile person describing themselves as such.

I've seen people use Otaku as a badge of pride, but never Neckbeard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

like japanese culture is hosed up in some places but judging an entire country and its people by the actions of a few turbonerds is hosed up and also kind of racist

it'd be like a japanese person finding bronies and going 'oh god, all americans are like that'

Seriously.

Realtalk, though, the Japanese seem to be acceptable targets for racism abroad (especially online, SA included) and a lot of it has to do with how much people pay attention to their creepy geek subculture and mistakenly think represents their culture as a whole. The subculture that Japan likes to blame for all of its problems the same way some US politicians blame videogames.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That's because neckbeard is in English.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That'a because Japanophile's don't seem to realise that being called Otaku is an insult.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

That's because they know their neckbeards pale in comparison to mine. :smug:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is there a way for Gedosota to just reduce resolution and not add any extra effects?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm irrationally angry that Sazh or Fang's outfits aren't available as well.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

What I wouldn't do for a projectable Afro wig.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Imagine a Japanese nerd calling himself a neckbeard proudly as he watches American cartoons.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 16, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

maou shoujo posted:

Of course there is. This is why the term "otaku" exists, it was invented for mocking shut-in nerds who use stilted, excessively formal grammar. It's very closely analogous to the english term "neckbeard" in describing social ineptitude. Just remember that next time you see a japanophile person describing themselves as such.

Everyone knows Otacon is the best character in MGS though.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I read that whole thing. Wow.

bloodychill posted:

Same. I'm still sort of reeling from it.

Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction the first time I read about it. It's a terrifying journey through the looking glass of Severe mental dysfunction.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Countblanc posted:

Are there patches for either of the tactics advance games that let you rename units?

Afraid not. The closest you'll get is using some editor utility they made... I think for translations, actually. You can supposedly manually edit the name lists, but it's poorly-documented and I've never got it to work, myself.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Nihilarian posted:

Imagine a Japanese nerd calling himself a neckbeard proudly as he watches American cartoons.

Seriously though I've been to Japan many times and it's nothing like these weirdos imagine, it's just regular people going to work and shopping or whatever. It's really very not anything special (other than historical or cultural stuff obviously).

Though I'm not denying the existence of Japanese neck beards who sit at home all day because obviously I wouldn't meet them. Like that world masturbation champion. And I guess seeing a guy in full business suit with briefcase coming in after work to look at anime vagina pillows is interesting to me but do I know.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Okay I'm think I'm done with hunts. They are really annoying to find and running all over for Gran Pulse, only to find out you have to go all the way around to access a specific part of the map is annoying.

I'm just going to continue to the story and cheat engine points in if I get really stuck.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Tae posted:

Is there a way for Gedosota to just reduce resolution and not add any extra effects?

Mostly yes, however, you still need MSAA enabled (4x set in game by default btw) since otherwise hair transparency effects will be messed up. You could have the following in your user .ini for ffxiii (or main game .ini):

MSAASampleCount 4 (can probably lower it to 2, but try leaving 4)
enableCoverageSampling false (true for better graphics)
shadowScale 1 (try to see if 2 would work here)
renderResolution 1920x1080@60
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080
forcePresentRes true (might not need this)
scalingType bilinear (bicubic is better but requires more power)

Check out this post for some good info:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4936011&postcount=2444

Namely, look at the Nvidia Inspector tip for fixing hair (if you have nvidia of course).

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
LR and FFXIII-2 spoiler gently caress Caius and his broken Body and Soul ability. That stupid move is the bane of my existence

EDIT: gently caress IT, I'M SKIPPING HIM TILL LATER

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 16, 2014

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

mateo360 posted:

LR and FFXIII-2 spoiler gently caress Caius and his broken Body and Soul ability. That stupid move is the bane of my existence

EDIT: gently caress IT, I'M SKIPPING HIM TILL LATER

It's only going to be worse if you wait, unfortunately.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

It's only going to be worse if you wait, unfortunately.

In his case it won't. That particular Boss doesn't gain power over days IIRC.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

ImpAtom posted:

In his case it won't. That particular Boss doesn't gain power over days IIRC.

And that is why I am fine skipping him.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Seriously though I've been to Japan many times and it's nothing like these weirdos imagine, it's just regular people going to work and shopping or whatever. It's really very not anything special (other than historical or cultural stuff obviously).

Though I'm not denying the existence of Japanese neck beards who sit at home all day because obviously I wouldn't meet them. Like that world masturbation champion. And I guess seeing a guy in full business suit with briefcase coming in after work to look at anime vagina pillows is interesting to me but do I know.

Hahaha, that's perfect.

Of course he's wearing a flame shirt. Because he would be.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Counterpoint: Places like Shibuya existing in Japan.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
As opposed to fashion districts in other major cities?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Counterpoint: Places like Shibuya existing in Japan.

What does that even mean? There are places like that in many major cities. It's a youth hangout and fashion district.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i vaguely suspect he meant akihabara but he's still dumb

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I bet all Russians are violent alcoholics and all Africans live in jungle villages too.

I mean I haven't visited these places but heh come on, when has the internet and television ever given me a narrow and prejudiced image of a people

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Seriously.

Realtalk, though, the Japanese seem to be acceptable targets for racism abroad (especially online, SA included) and a lot of it has to do with how much people pay attention to their creepy geek subculture and mistakenly think represents their culture as a whole. The subculture that Japan likes to blame for all of its problems the same way some US politicians blame videogames.

That's because neckbeard is in English.

The Japanese gaming market has become so polarized over the last decade with dedicated gaming consoles growing more niche. Most of the biggest hits are on mobile devices and browser based social networks which are driven by mainstream audiences, such as office workers and commuters. The typical Japanese 'gamer' is likely to be a layperson who casually plays smartphone games on the way to work and doesn't think too often about gaming or the gaming industry unless their friends or coworkers bring it up.

On the other hand, gaming consoles have had such a difficult time attracting mainstream audiences which has lowered the sales ceiling for games. The PS1 and PS2 were home to many million+ sellers for the domestic Japanese market but the PS3 only had virtually three games sell over a million. Even Nintendo is struggling to attract children and families that used to make up their past audiences. The only exception is young children who are targeted by trans-media campaigns, such as the Yokai Watch franchise. Considering Level-5 record with managing IPs, I don't know how long that will last. It's becoming increasingly common for Japanese children to grow up in an environment where gaming in centered on multi-purpose mobile devices rather than dedicated gaming consoles.

The reality is that gaming isn't a very important part of most people's lives. We've all read a book, watched a movie, or watched a sport we don't normally follow because it was trending or climbed over the boundaries that typified its genre. Many people went to see Darren Aronofsky's Black Swan due to good marketing and word of mouth when they normally wouldn't see art house films with small budgets. Many people aren't football hooligans but they tune into major football competitions, such as the World Cup, because they enjoy being part of such a large international event with their friends. People tune into a TV show that's generating a lot of buzz and watercooler talk. Likewise, most hit games are buoyed by attracting mainstream audiences that aren't interested in console wars, the reputation of the game's developer, or the publisher's hype campaign. These games usually have approachable gameplay or provide a novel experience that they can share with friends. Now, they're having it on mobile platforms with F2P games.

As for for how it relates to Final Fantasy, I don't think the success of the FF brand is guaranteed in Japan, especially on gaming consoles. FFXV could be a perfectly fine game but the audience may not care due to the platforms it is targeting and shifts in demographics and interests. There has been a decade of the FF brand underperforming on consoles while children have grown up playing a variety of different series on mobile devices. These changes in the market are having a clear effect on SE's games and overall strategy.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The merger hurt Square so bad. Why would you merge with a company making jrpgs that still had you open a menu to use stairs?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

The merger hurt Square so bad. Why would you merge with a company making jrpgs that still had you open a menu to use stairs?

Because Square shat all their money down the toilet. It wasn't Enix who killed Square.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
This week's Curtain Call DLC:

New Character - Auron #2 (FFX)

New Songs
Final Fantasy Tactics - Precipitous Combat (BMS)
Final Fantasy Type-0 - We Have Come (BMS)
Final Fantasy VII - The Chase (FMS)
Final Fantasy XI - A New Horizon - Tavnazian Archipelago (FMS)
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children - Beyond the Wasteland (BMS)
Final Fantasy II - Chocobo Theme (FMS)
Final Fantasy VIII - Balamb Garden (FMS)
Final Fantasy X - Via Purifico (FMS)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Weird way to put "Battle on the Bridge" and "Crazy Motorcycle Chase"... Great songs no matter what you call them.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Weird way to put "Battle on the Bridge" and "Crazy Motorcycle Chase"... Great songs no matter what you call them.

I quite enjoy the original Tactics track names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjfnsRctM74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6zGCnwQdgM

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Sunning posted:

As for for how it relates to Final Fantasy, I don't think the success of the FF brand is guaranteed in Japan, especially on gaming consoles. FFXV could be a perfectly fine game but the audience may not care due to the platforms it is targeting and shifts in demographics and interests. There has been a decade of the FF brand underperforming on consoles while children have grown up playing a variety of different series on mobile devices. These changes in the market are having a clear effect on SE's games and overall strategy.

I think that FFXV and KH3 are both bellwethers for Square-Enix. If they do okay in Japan but great in the west I could see them continuing on the path of super high budget console games. But by great I mean at least 3-5 million copies each. At least. I don't see how they could justify doing it again if those two games lose them a lot of money.

I personally think that FFXV and KH3 are going to sell jack poo poo in Japan. Nobody in Japan wants consoles anymore. I'm no expert but the PS4 is doing Wii U levels of sales in Japan and the PS4 is the best hope consoles have in Japan.

Could people buy PS4s when it comes time to buy FFXV? Maybe. PS4 is doing well enough in other territories that Sony doesn't have to worry about it's low sales in Japan as much as, say, the Wii U does, and it'll certainly still be around for people to buy when FFXV is released. But the thing is, back in the PS2/1 days when FF games used to sell huge amounts in Japan people didn't wait for the FF game to buy the system. PS2s were so popular in Japan that you couldn't find them. There was already a very large amount of PS2s in the hands of the consumers when FFX was released.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Dude, the Enix side of things made like seven successful and popular entries in the Dragon Quest series (counting remakes and spinoffs) while FF13 was in development hell.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I was originally going to post it as "Battle on the Bridge" but then when I pulled up the DLC menu in-game, it was listed as "Precipitous Combat". I figured it would be better to use the names used in-game for the links so as to avoid confusion. :shrug:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Mischitary posted:

I think that FFXV and KH3 are both bellwethers for Square-Enix. If they do okay in Japan but great in the west I could see them continuing on the path of super high budget console games. But by great I mean at least 3-5 million copies each. At least. I don't see how they could justify doing it again if those two games lose them a lot of money.

I personally think that FFXV and KH3 are going to sell jack poo poo in Japan. Nobody in Japan wants consoles anymore. I'm no expert but the PS4 is doing Wii U levels of sales in Japan and the PS4 is the best hope consoles have in Japan.

Could people buy PS4s when it comes time to buy FFXV? Maybe. PS4 is doing well enough in other territories that Sony doesn't have to worry about it's low sales in Japan as much as, say, the Wii U does, and it'll certainly still be around for people to buy when FFXV is released. But the thing is, back in the PS2/1 days when FF games used to sell huge amounts in Japan people didn't wait for the FF game to buy the system. PS2s were so popular in Japan that you couldn't find them. There was already a very large amount of PS2s in the hands of the consumers when FFX was released.

How did Japan PS3 sales do after FF XIII was released?

Personally, I think it would help some if they put more effort into PC ports of their console titles to be released either on or soon after they are released on consoles.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

I was originally going to post it as "Battle on the Bridge" but then when I pulled up the DLC menu in-game, it was listed as "Precipitous Combat". I figured it would be better to use the names used in-game for the links so as to avoid confusion. :shrug:

That makes perfect sense. I had never heard that name for the song before.

Kanfy posted:

I quite enjoy the original Tactics track names.

Haha, you don't find it weird that the "nice body" is basically Alma?

Also I didn't know Bloody Excrement had another name.

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 16, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

Dude, the Enix side of things made like seven successful and popular entries in the Dragon Quest series (counting remakes and spinoffs) while FF13 was in development hell.

Plus Enix has people that know how to handle money. Or at the very least, they knew more about it than Square ever did.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
That's a lot of poo poo that isn't Real Emotion (English) :mad:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tenzarin posted:

The merger is the only thing that saved Squaresoft from going bankrupt and having to sell its IP to others or have them die off with the company. If anyone was hurt by the merger it was Enix.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
FF15 will probably underperform but by then SE will have hedged its bets and started making lower fidelity games for consoles ala Level 5. Well, I hope, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

bloodychill posted:

FF15 will probably underperform but by then SE will have hedged its bets and started making lower fidelity games for consoles ala Level 5. Well, I hope, anyway.

I think that if FFXV underperforms that's probably the best case scenario. The worst case scenario is that they pour all of Japan's focus into cell phone games that make millions and cost nothing to develop.