Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Either putting me in nothing but tundra and snow, or landlocking me by putting my "coastal" position on an inland sea. It's been both two of my four attempts so far.

I figured I'd want a coastal start so I could actually find every city-state and get trade routes set up.
You're right, that's just horribly unlucky and you probably can't win an OCC from those starts. Just keep trying I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Either putting me in nothing but tundra and snow, or landlocking me by putting my "coastal" position on an inland sea. It's been both two of my four attempts so far.

I figured I'd want a coastal start so I could actually find every city-state and get trade routes set up.

Play on Archipelago.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

majormonotone posted:

Play on Archipelago.

I was.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

You might just have the worst luck I've ever seen when it comes to map generation :v:

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Can anyone give me some general pointers on knocking out the one city challenge? I've been trying to hit it as Venice on an archipelago map, but four starts in a row have been utterly screwed over by the map generator.

I'm not even sure what victory mode to shoot for. Diplomatic seems the most logical, especially if I do it as Venice, but I've never tried this approach before.

I play a fair amount of OCC and recently pulled off my first Immortal OCC. I resigned myself to a few restarts, too, since in four rolls the map gen gave me jungle, jungle, forest, and grassland as Morocco and I wanted a shot at Petra.

Three major things stand out to me as limitations in OCC:
  • Even though your capital is usually your best science city, relying solely on it puts a serious crimp in your beaker generation. Aside from the standard focus on improving population and science multipliers, I try to aggressively hegemonize City States. If you usually take just one or two Patronage policies in the down time between finishing Tradition (obviously go Tradition in OCC) and starting Rationalism, consider picking up more. CS science is a pretty big boon when you're limited to one city. Also note that in OCC, you get almost the entire benefit of maritime CSes just from being friends, so think about using a perma-friendship trick on them.
  • You will run into the unit limit. Unless you've basically won, you don't want to incur the production hit from exceeding it, which forces you to carefully sculpt your military forces for maximum power per unit. If you expect to do a lot of fighting, try to get started early with leveling core units up so they punch above their weight. Airplanes are great defenders, but unlike a normal game they may be unable to reach an opponent on offense; they're also extra vulnerable to nukes if it comes to that.
  • Without additional cities, you can't run any internal trade routes. Food routes are a key part of strong play in the standard game, so losing out on them requires you to invest more into alternate food sources (particularly maritime CSes).
On the other hand, I think OCC is especially good for wonder-whoring. In the Immortal game mentioned above, I overtook every AI individually in number of wonders (as well as quality of wonders, given that I had the benefit of human insight) by the Renaissance. By the end of Industrial, I had more wonders than the other five players combined. When you're focused on a single city, you can afford to spend most of your hard-build production on wonders and pick up other buildings incidentally when none of the wonders are interesting or with gold (I'd say rush-buying is particularly important for buildings required for national wonders, since you want those ASAP). Since all your trade routes will be external gold routes and your maintenance will be very low, you should be rolling in money most of the time.

Diplomatic is the easiest victory type in OCC, but the others are all doable.

Consider turning up the number of CSes in map gen. I think it makes the game easier and they get to fill the space you would have otherwise.

Choose Freedom. It's the best ideology in general and moreso in OCC and even more as Venice to generate influence with your trade routes.

Venice is a solid choice. Any civ with good CS synergy (not Austria's UA, obviously) is good (e.g. Siam). I felt Morocco was a solid choice since you lure in more foreign trade (although I think I got literally one incoming route my entire game) and the desert bias can be a real game changer, as it was for me after I got both Desert Folklore and Petra.

Hope this helps.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

majormonotone posted:

Play on Archipelago.
In my experience archipelago loves tundra and/or desert islands. :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 16, 2014

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Poil posted:

In my experience archipelago loves tundra and/desert islands. :v:

I'll second this, especially on smaller map sizes. I got fed up with archipelago after multiple tundra Venices. Small continents is better for sea heavy maps, imo.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
That is the great weakness of Venice - you're very much at the mercy of the map script to be a competitive Civ compared to the likes of Poland and Babylon.

No sea routes sucks, as does not having any decently-placed city-states to take over, or the perennial favourite: "Every city state has the same luxury resource".

I still love Venice for how unique they are.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Well, make an archipelago map with a warmer, wetter climate then.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Gort posted:

That is the great weakness of Venice - you're very much at the mercy of the map script to be a competitive Civ compared to the likes of Poland and Babylon.

No sea routes sucks, as does not having any decently-placed city-states to take over, or the perennial favourite: "Every city state has the same luxury resource".

I still love Venice for how unique they are.

That just means you build an army and take over a few capitals :black101:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When I did the OCC I did it as Poland on a bog-standard Emperor Pangaea map and it was very straightforward. As was said, Tradition -> Patronage -> Rationalism -> Freedom -> finish Patronage. I ran out of interesting policies to take and ended up going through Commerce for lack of anything better to do...though that has more to do with Poland's UA than anything else.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
One thing to keep in mind with OCC games is you absolutely cannot gank great works from other civs through conquest, because a city (and all the great works therein) is instantly, completely wiped off the map as soon as you take it's last bit of HP.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

One thing to keep in mind with OCC games is you absolutely cannot gank great works from other civs through conquest, because a city (and all the great works therein) is instantly, completely wiped off the map as soon as you take it's last bit of HP.

What about capitals?

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

majormonotone posted:

What about capitals?

Poof, there is suddenly a giant hole of neutral territory in the middle of the enemy civilization. I imagine you win Domination by making it so that yours is the only original capital left standing.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
Yo Gort, I just wanted to say thanks for the balance mods man!

For the longest time I played Civ like it was a boardgame, where the rules were the rules, handed down from on high, and if you didn't play by the rules then you were cheating yourself.

But I'm someone who plays with random leaders, and I will base my game thematically around who I get. If I get Boudicca I'm going to go piety, if I get Montezuma I'm going to go honor, etc. Technically I'm playing the game as it was meant to be played, and yet I've always felt as though I was playing it wrong by not doing the whole tradition/national college/rationalism thing every game.

Your mods are subtle enough where I don't feel like an rear end in a top hat for using them, they simply allow me to play the game in the way it was intended and not feel as though I'm being punished for doing so.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
What mod are you referring to?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Gort posted:

Some guy earlier made a "quality of life" modpack that can be played singleplayer with achievements or even in multiplayer without trouble, so I thought I'd do the same with the collection of mods I play multiplayer with.

To use the modpack:

1. Download it from here.

2. Copy the folder in the zipfile into your \Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\DLC folder

3. Play the game with the normal singleplayer/multiplayer menu, not the mods menu - all multiplayer players must have followed the instructions above to be able to play.

What mods are included:

Active AI Diplomacy in MP - Allow the AI to propose deals in MP, so they act just like the SP AIs.

InfoAddict - lots of extra information and graphs so you can make better decisions.

City Limits - Shows you what hexes are already covered by cities so you can plan your settling more easily.

Promotion Melee Ranged Correction - Switches promotions when units are upgraded so melee units promoted to ranged units get ranged promotions and vice versa.

AI Rebalance - Makes AIs have smaller, more highly promoted armies, less happiness later on, and removes their free starting technologies in favour of a game-long science boost (so they are closer to the player throughout the game)

Rebalanced Warfare - Infantry units get the "siege" promotion for free (+50% strength vs cities), non-siege ranged units always have 2 range (gatling guns and up get reduced melee strength to balance) and siege units always have 3 range and can fire over obstacles.

Social Policy Rebalance - Buffs Liberty, Honour and Piety social policy trees, slightly nerfs Tradition and Rationalism.

National College Nerf - The National College gives a flat +10 science, so it's a "nice to have" rather than a "must have".

This stuff.

DEO3 posted:

Yo Gort, I just wanted to say thanks for the balance mods man!

For the longest time I played Civ like it was a boardgame, where the rules were the rules, handed down from on high, and if you didn't play by the rules then you were cheating yourself.

But I'm someone who plays with random leaders, and I will base my game thematically around who I get. If I get Boudicca I'm going to go piety, if I get Montezuma I'm going to go honor, etc. Technically I'm playing the game as it was meant to be played, and yet I've always felt as though I was playing it wrong by not doing the whole tradition/national college/rationalism thing every game.

Your mods are subtle enough where I don't feel like an rear end in a top hat for using them, they simply allow me to play the game in the way it was intended and not feel as though I'm being punished for doing so.

No worries, glad you like 'em. Let me know if you spot any bugs or get any weird behaviour - I'm still wondering if the AI needs a little less happiness.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Hope this helps.

It's been very helpful, thanks. Finally got an acceptable starting position this afternoon and it's been going pretty well so far. Oddity of note: Isabella is generating approximately all the faith and going absolutely bonkers with religion.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Cythereal posted:

It's been very helpful, thanks. Finally got an acceptable starting position this afternoon and it's been going pretty well so far. Oddity of note: Isabella is generating approximately all the faith and going absolutely bonkers with religion.

A natural wonder or two as Spain goes a long way with faith production, and I assume Isabella can spawn with a pretty heavy faith priority. She was always about cleansing the infidels in previous titles , after all.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Pvt.Scott posted:

A natural wonder or two as Spain goes a long way with faith production, and I assume Isabella can spawn with a pretty heavy faith priority. She was always about cleansing the infidels in previous titles , after all.

I don't think she prioritizes faith like she used to in the previous games. She'll try to get one, or whatever, but she doesn't go nuts for them like before.

Civ 4 fun fact: I used to rush an early religion and try to spread is to Isabella as soon as possible in Civ 4 every game. Once you got even a single city of hers converted she was your BFF for life. I always got excited when she was in games with me because of that. Sort of how I always love it when Harold Bluetooth is in my Civ 5 games.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=321319743&searchtext=

Interesting mod: ocean cites. Well, not all THAT ocean, still need to be within one tile of coast, but still. Also a shame they can't do trade in or out(Apparently).

May also consider using with this one:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=243508419&searchtext=

Great Admirals can outright spawn a fish resource and improve it.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 17, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yeah, she got her hands on a few faith natural wonders in addition to snagging Stonehenge. It's the medieval era now and half the world is already Catholic.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Bloodly posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=321319743&searchtext=

Interesting mod: ocean cites. Well, not all THAT ocean, still need to be within one tile of coast, but still. Also a shame they can't do trade in or out(Apparently).

May also consider using with this one:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=243508419&searchtext=

Great Admirals can outright spawn a fish resource and improve it.

I really like the second one considering every other great person has a lasting improvement but admiral just has the (contextually useful but temporary) repair ships thing, making them not as great.

Even though 'making fish' is kind of silly, it does fit the maritime city state theme of having a food effect.

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 17, 2014

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Eh, the Admiral retires after finding rich previously unknown fishing waters and makes bank. The main problem there is a later game fish tile is an absolute beast in terms of food/ hammers/gold.

E:Maybe make it an archipelago?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pvt.Scott posted:

Atolls are surprisingly lovely tiles, but sure, that makes sense. It makes something like 3F/1H? I guess that's a farm/plains tile, but I'm not sure if burning a great person for that is very much of a reward--maybe if they spawned three atolls randomly in the one-range radius.

Alternatively, they could always make it "construct naval fortress" on the premise that there are insignificant landforms you could build one on but too small to acknowledge as a settleable landmass, basically be like a citadel on the ocean and all the land-claiming power that comes with it.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

Eh, the Admiral retires after finding rich previously unknown fishing waters and makes bank. The main problem there is a later game fish tile is an absolute beast in terms of food/ hammers/gold.

Great person tiles should be amazing though - academy, manufactory, etc are quite nice lategame (especially with New Deal)

It would also do a little make coastal cities a little nicer aside from being trade hubs.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm half inclined to try a China OCC where I actually make use of that stupid Exploration policy tree for cheaper admirals, and just spam fish everywhere in my one coastal city. Assuming China's UA spawns Great Admirals faster, anyway. If not, then go for Zulu, I guess. Get like 15 tiles that are 3F2H1G.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Ehh, the spawn rates are much lower than you're probably thinking. They'll make a nice boost, but you'll be disappointed if you expect to get more than six or seven over the course of the entire game--even by the third or fourth, it'll take tons of EXP to generate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wait, does China have an increased spawn rate for Great Admirals?

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
^^Edit: I don't think they do, but I've never paid serious attention to it.^^

Yeah, in my current huge map game as China I have been in near constant war for some time now, and I'm not exactly swimming in generals. You get a few more, but it's not a huge difference.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

You'll have too many Great Generals as China if you take the Honor tree and are at forever war. I made a 6 general doom fort march through somebody's territory once. That's how you deal with a runaway AI with the Great Wall. Fort, city, fort, city, etc. it's also great for getting your ChuKoNu +1 range ASAP. By the time you upgrade them to machine guns they should have march and be working on their second terrain tree. Dakka dakka.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Just had something happen which I've never seen before - two city states allied to warring civilizations attacked each other, with one capturing the other's city. It appears that their ally now gets the resources of BOTH cities - but only the CS bonus from the original city.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

8 Ball posted:

Just had something happen which I've never seen before - two city states allied to warring civilizations attacked each other, with one capturing the other's city. It appears that their ally now gets the resources of BOTH cities - but only the CS bonus from the original city.

Yeah, city states usually burn cities they capture, but you can't burn a city state down, so this can happen.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I decided to start a game as the Aztecs last night just to see what kind of start I'd roll.

Lake Victoria and Mt Sinai are both right by my capital, and I snagged Petra and the Colossus. Japan's right next door and an endless war to farm culture from their units has already begun.

This is almost like cheating.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Gort posted:

Yeah, city states usually burn cities they capture, but you can't burn a city state down, so this can happen.

City-states can also capture and keep capitals and maybe holy cities, but that would likely require intervention by the PC both feeding the city-state units, clearing enemy units and knocking the city's health to 0. The next big thing is coaxing the city-state over there, so very close proximity is almost required. I wish you could give your lil' allies smple orders like attack or defend in a war.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I love when a city-state manages to cap and raze an enemy city that I didn't want to take for myself. Thanks for saving me the diplomacy hit, Prague!

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
On that note, I've always wondered, but never been curious enough to try it, but can barbarians take cities?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joopjan
Nov 5, 2009
From that modpack that was posted a few pages back. Is there a way to disable specific addons? I am not really a fan of all artilerry units getting range 3 and would like to disable that.

• Locked thread