Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

I should have known there would be a metal band...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

It's a personal pineapple
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqdVQ9VdoAg

this is ugly as gently caress but it owns bones

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Valtaherra posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqdVQ9VdoAg

this is ugly as gently caress but it owns bones

The best use for that thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlO1P_h4y3g

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

John Mayer's ditched his contract with Fender.

I've sent them an e-mail asking if Mayer doesn't want his endorsement deal anymore, can I have it? Will update if/when I get the inevitable notice to kindly gently caress off. :)

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Better rush and get a John Mayer strat... said no one.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I wouldn't mind Mayer as a sideman in some band writing songs that aren't absolute tripe. As a frontman and a singer/songwriter...ugh.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
The world will have to do without yet another 3 color burst rosewood strat.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

Better rush and get a John Mayer strat... said no one.

I played one at Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI once. It was the nicest strat I have ever played. But I wasn't about to drop 1700 on it.

I don't think Stratocasters are worth that much money honestly. My 700 dollar MIM one is nice as gently caress. The Mayer one was better, but not a thousand dollars better. Plus mine has an Antigua finish. The best finish ever.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dirt posted:

I played one at Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI once. It was the nicest strat I have ever played. But I wasn't about to drop 1700 on it.

I don't think Stratocasters are worth that much money honestly. My 700 dollar MIM one is nice as gently caress. The Mayer one was better, but not a thousand dollars better. Plus mine has an Antigua finish. The best finish ever.

I am sure the guitar is fine, I meant because most people are really dying for John Mayer branded anything. There are a hell of a lot nice strats for that money.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

There are a hell of a lot nice strats for that money ($1700).

And there are four new Gibsons you could choose from for that.

*most affordable carved top* was $769 last year. Also, price isn't innovation.

edit2:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 15, 2014

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

is there a point where a guitar really isn't any better or worse despite it being priced 500 percent more? i've tried a $1700+ guitar and then tried the cheap squier version of it for like $400 and it sounded pretty much the same minus some tiny miniscule differences which don't matter at all

why do people give a poo poo about brand names honestly

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

ThePutty posted:

is there a point where a guitar really isn't any better or worse despite it being priced 500 percent more? i've tried a $1700+ guitar and then tried the cheap squier version of it for like $400 and it sounded pretty much the same minus some tiny miniscule differences which don't matter at all

To show up the poors, same as with cars or anything else really

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

ThePutty posted:

Depends on who you ask and how much you value minute differences in wood, pickups, etc. A lot of the higher end tends to be the attention to finish and selection of material, over getting much of a tangible sound improvement.

Sockington posted:

And there are four new Gibsons you could choose from for that.

*most affordable carved top* was $769 last year. Also, price isn't innovation.

edit2:

It is pretty clear that Gibson lost the plot for 2015, at least as far as a lot of enthusiasts were concerned. I am not really sure if the Harley-esque, buy into a name poo poo will work as well with Gibson, but I guess time will tell. How many Doctors and Lawyers with midlife crises are around and still interested in guitars is anyones guess.

The fact that they simplified some of their production features (brass nut, no nibs, etc), made hideous appointments, AND have the gaul to charge 30% more is pretty hilarious. I remember saying before that I wonder if Gibson management has contempt for their customers; well if there was any doubt left. They probably could have shut up half of the people whining if they had gone the Fender route and kept a few of their guitars 'traditional' with the standard headstock sans minitune or whatever the gently caress its called now.

Also axing the SGJ/LPJ/MM is basically another kind of dickish move to push starting players into Epiphone, I am guessing the margins on those guitars are too small. A drat shame because they are really excellent, and probably would have served as great gateways if they had taken a longterm view. There, all of my bitching about Gibson condensed to one post. That said, the only reason I care at all is because they have some really awesome guitars but the company seems hamstrung with QC issues and the worst CEO imaginable.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 15, 2014

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I read a post on UlitmateGuitar that was linked to me a little while ago regarding the Gibson changes. While this does seem like a huge middle finger to the kids who want to see 'Gibson' on the headstock, it's not entirely an unintelligent business decision for the people running Gibson; plus it may be something of a boon for Epiphone (after all, I've heard people saying that they would sooner buy an Epi than a Gibson with their current QC).

UltimateGuitar posted:

The article itself wasn't from Gibson, but was based on a look at what Amazon leaked on their site (most of what are theoretically the 2015 model lineup) and on the advertising copy that went with the individual guitars. I followed the links when they were first up, and the article is accurate *based on what was there*.

It caused quite a stir on MLP and other sites. If true, it represents an interesting business model moving forward, and it's consistent with Henry J.

The guitars that Gibson put out at the low end (the J series, the T series) were crap (IMHO). They were stripped-down junk that didn't compete on anything but logo, with quality that didn't measure up to far better chinese and Korean product in that price range.

Before the flame wars start, note that whatever popularity the guitars enjoyed was because "the common man could finally afford a real Gibson." More than one buyer stated, "I'm getting everything that Gibson has to offer except for the 'bling'." That was not music to Gibson's ears.

And what it did was NOT increase Gibson sales. It cannibalized potentially higher-end Gibson sales, substituting loss-leader sales at unsustainably low prices and zero profit. And it didn't do what Gibson intended. They have an issue with entry-level guitarists in that newbs have NO brand loyalty to Gibson. They're buying other brands. The cheap Gibsons didn't sway the newbs, who were bright enough to see that the Korean guitars were better quality. Instead, Gibson found it was selling to older customers who simply couldn't afford the prices before. Backfire.

Gibson is a premium brand, but the cheaper guitars were crapping it up. Increased volume of units moved didn't translate to increased profits. just the opposite. And Gibson was in serious danger of losing its identity.

A peripheral problem is that Guitar Center, Gibson's biggest outlet, is floundering. It's not paying its bills, and it can't support large inventories of high-dollar guitars. You probably haven't seen a PRS at your local GC in a while. For the most part, they've bailed. The guitar walls have more of the guitars flat on the walls than at an angle. It still looks like there are a lot of guitars, but those flat-on-the-wall guitars simply take up more space. There are 100-300 fewer guitars on display on average, and what IS there is mostly low end these days. You won't find much backup stock, either on the shelves or "in the back." The keyboard section will have more Used gear on display and less New stuff. I went in looking for a Korg PA3X the other day. They didn't have one and didn't have one in the system, but they did have a used (and fairly battered, with parts that didn't work) PA2X (discontinued version) sitting there. In every department, Guitar Center is filling more space with used gear. Far cheaper. Vendors who once challenged for shelf space on over 200 stores are now being parsimonious with inventory on credit, fearing its loss in a bankruptcy.

Gibson produced those low-end guitars partly to fill space on GC walls and maintain the appearance of a Gibson presence. That pretense is over. Gibson now figures to sell more guitars online and eliminate pilferage, damage, shop wear, etc.

In short, Gibson is at once tightening its belt and attempting to move back to its favorite spot at the high end. They're looking at the Harley Davidson business model and planning to rely on the retiring baby boomer money for the next ten years. They've missed that Harley is losing headway on the same business model of late and that Harley desperately needs to find new customers as well.

After years of keeping its thumb on Epiphone, it may be forced to allow Epiphone to produce the quality it's capable of. To Gibson's very deep corporate chagrin, it may be Epiphone that saves the company. Gibson has painted itself (literally) into a corner of traditionalism with nitrocellulose lacquer on US-made guitars. Epiphone has no such restrictions. Its finishing department allows its entire production facility to move far faster than Gibsons, with dry-to-dry finishing in under 24 hours. Gibson's greatest quantity of customer complaints and returns comes from nitrocellulose lacquer. They need to convert, but until they talk the Tennessee legislature into "making it their fault" so that Gibson can blame "big gummint," they can't convert to the much faster finishing methods yet. The satin finishes on the cheap guitars moved faster through the system and averted quality concerns. Flat finishes on guitars and cars are already beginning to fade as a fashion statement. But Gibson knows it can't produce large volumes of guitars with quality finishes using nitro. It really needs to change.

Epiphone can produce FAR higher quality guitars than it's been allowed to. Gibson didn't want the in-store competition for its low end and Studio guitars. By ceding the lower end pricepoints to Epiphone and allowing them to move upscale, Gibson can concentrate on producing fewer guitars at higher prices and attempt to retrieve its lost reputation for high quality. Epi still produces profit for Gibson. And you can bet that within 10 years, the Epiphone factory will be producing a Gibson-branded product "for China Only" that will be equal to (or exceed) the quality of USA-made Gibsons. The long-term plan is to develop demand for those guitars as a grey-market "sneak-in" product for the US, and then to appear to throw up its hands and produce the same guitars in the US (with modern finishes), moving nitro to a "Historic Only" niche.

Watch and see.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I kind of agree with him, but the J's are basically the same guitars with an inferior finish. Not sure what he is going on about there, outside of that I agree the margins are probably smaller. In the long run, I think everyone is going to have problems because I am just not imagining new players coming in the same numbers as they did in the past. Music is just moving past guitar driven bands, not to say they won't exist or anything.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 15, 2014

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Ultimate Guitar posted:

In short, Gibson is at once tightening its belt and attempting to move back to its favorite spot at the high end. They're looking at the Harley Davidson business model and planning to rely on the retiring baby boomer money for the next ten years. They've missed that Harley is losing headway on the same business model of late and that Harley desperately needs to find new customers as well.

Doesn't HD just build bikes as a marketing platform for their mountain of branded merchandise, these days?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Which, once they realize is the case, they'll replace merch with 'lovely'* Epiphone guitars.

*lovely as in "Slash and Clapton didn't play one, therefore it's crap."

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Get your Gibson brand hoodie, now with Slashtone(TM).

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

I've sent them an e-mail asking if Mayer doesn't want his endorsement deal anymore, can I have it? Will update if/when I get the inevitable notice to kindly gently caress off. :)

I got a cut and paste reply!

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Oct 15, 2014

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I largely agree with that article, though his statements about Nitro being antiquated isn't quite on the money. Nitro finishes have definitely been updated/changed since the old days, and Nitro is definitely a feature that many players want. Cheap poly coated guitars can feel really bad to the touch in my experience.

I think they saw how well guys like Collings were doing and wanted to compete directly with them. Which is fine, generally, though I wish they would bring FEB back for a 4k guitar. But then again, the Custom shop still does it for almost the same price. Regardless, the other domestic high end boutiques are using Nitro for a reason and probably won't change to poly anytime soon.

Hopefully this means they'll move Epiphone back to Japan. Maybe we can get the Epiphone tombstone style headstock back as well. I'd buy one of those real quick.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 15, 2014

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Chrpno posted:

Someone mentioned Richie Kotzen, so I had to look him up. Is this the most clichéd wiki page for a guitarist? Especially this section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Kotzen#Guitar_playing_style

:rolleyes:

The only interesting thing about Richie Kotzen is that he's so dumb he got kicked out of Poison for loving the drummer's fiancee.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Well Kotzen does mean to puke in German. :v:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

gently caress Your Website posted:

The only interesting thing about Richie Kotzen is that he's so dumb he got kicked out of Poison for loving the drummer's fiancee.

Also he doesn't use a pick

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Declan MacManus posted:

Also he doesn't use a pick

Like I said

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I seriously want this red acrylic Warlock, $275 seems like nothing for something this objectively beautiful.

and put some of those Seymore Duncan Slugs in there somewhere please

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Snowy posted:

I seriously want this red acrylic Warlock, $275 seems like nothing for something this objectively beautiful.

5/5 Would play nude.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Ahh, the BC Rich "testes" headstock.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

W424 posted:

Wow, now that's something I will never unsee.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

that is badass. I've seen red acrylic Mockingbirds for sale before, but not a Warlock.

Fumble posted:

Wow, now that's something I will never unsee.

same !!

you just know someone, maybe in a drunken haze, has tried their nuts for size in that.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

W424 posted:

gently caress you! Now if I buy it I'll have to rout out two little nipples for a nice titty headstock.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
Man, I went to my usual open mic/jam night last night and it was just a nonstop parade of guitarists playing neil young and the ilk. Kind of depressing when the one other horn player besides me has to bring accompaniment CDs to a jam night when he plays.

Not that these people aren't talented, it's just very boring for anyone who doesn't play guitar, bass, or drums.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Melchior posted:

Man, I went to my usual open mic/jam night last night and it was just a nonstop parade of guitarists playing neil young and the ilk. Kind of depressing when the one other horn player besides me has to bring accompaniment CDs to a jam night when he plays.

Not that these people aren't talented, it's just very boring for anyone who doesn't play guitar, bass, or drums.

Come down to MS and you can get in our Afrobeat jams.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Snowy posted:

I played one of these in a music shop over 5 years ago. Weighed a ton, sounded and played like absolute poo poo.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Carnaticum posted:

I played one of these in a music shop over 5 years ago. Weighed a ton, sounded and played like absolute poo poo.

Thanks, I was ready to force someone to drive me half a state away to get that thing just all "godddddamn I need that". It hasn't completely worn off yet because I would love to play sloppy poo poo on that thing.

Oh well time to find an even cheaper donor to put a Slug in.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

ThePutty posted:

yeah there is, a higher (or sometimes even any) midrange guitar from anyone with a good setup and possibly some electronics/hardware replacement (dependent on brand) is going to sound and play 99-100% as well as a ridiculously priced gibson or fender for like half the price even after paying for new hardware etc

or go used and either get a high end guitar for midranged prices or get a midranged guitar for loving nothing and pimp it out

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

Stux posted:

yeah there is, a higher (or sometimes even any) midrange guitar from anyone with a good setup and possibly some electronics/hardware replacement (dependent on brand) is going to sound and play 99-100% as well as a ridiculously priced gibson or fender for like half the price even after paying for new hardware etc

or go used and either get a high end guitar for midranged prices or get a midranged guitar for loving nothing and pimp it out

A lot of people I know (myself included) have been buying ultra-cheap guitars from https://www.rondomusic.com and replacing hardware/getting them professionally set up, and they don't sound or play half bad at all. They also make decent extended range instruments.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Snowy posted:

Oh well time to find an even cheaper donor to put a Slug in.

hello kitty strat or one of those walmart first act shiboxes

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

El Golden Goose posted:

A lot of people I know (myself included) have been buying ultra-cheap guitars from https://www.rondomusic.com and replacing hardware/getting them professionally set up, and they don't sound or play half bad at all. They also make decent extended range instruments.

thats what i did. at this point the only thing that's factory on my bass is the tuners (actually rock-loving-solid, surprisingly) and the total cost for what's in it is like 250 bucks and it's as good as any other thing i've played.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
A slug would work pretty well in a Djentstick if you want cheap. All you need is a few clamps, a broom, one or two heavy gauge strings and a jack socket. Hell if you have a few basic tools you could probably make something a bit more ergonomic to play. Flatten off the "fingerboard" side enough to run two strings side by side, add a couple of tuners and draw little boobs/dongs in sharpie as fret markers for that extra touch of magic. Don't forget quality straplocks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DrmTFvjF6U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
On the Agile train, he sells really solid guitars for the money. That said, I would consider upgrades if you buy an AL-2000 like I did; whether that is upgrading parts later or moving to a better stock model, either way. The stock pickups are simply rubbish for any genre of music I play, at some point I am buying something half decent with Alnico in them (probably GFS or something decent that is used, I really do not plan on spending anything more than $50 on pickups). The wiring is mediocre as well, but to be honest the electronics do not feel as off as the pickups, but if you are going to do work it probably pays to just do it all at once. I got mine on sale to begin with, so I am still doing pretty well. If anything it is simply a beautiful guitar to look at.

I am glad I went for an Agile over an Epi for sure though. Outside of branding, I would have had to paid much more to get something similar. Further, I am not even sure I really like playing LP style guitars. They are clumsy, stupidly heavy, and they rest poorly when I am sitting. It has that classic guitar appeal, but I am much better served with my Tele for old school or my SG/Strat for just about anything else.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 17, 2014

• Locked thread