Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kly
Aug 8, 2003

What would you call developers intentionally disabling access for new customers to the only form of tech support they have available?
We all love CK2 and Paradox and I know they have some devs that post here but that doesn't mean they don't make the occasional boneheaded decision.

again, i cant stress enough that it's a MUCH nicer form of DRM than something like uplay but it can STILL cause problems for people unfamiliar with a system like that or who aren't accustomed to that kind of customer support.

Kly fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hahaha my signup and logins were a breeze so let me poo poo all over your complaints because gently caress everyone else's issues, I'm the only person that matters.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So has anyone else not had Ragnarr Lođbrók sire any of his more famous children like Ivar, Bjorn, or Sigrud? Because all I've seen so far in my current game is some depressingly average kids.

I want real vikings damnit!

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Ugh, but it's hard to get my totally legit non-pirated CD key and paste it into a field on a webpage. I mean, I have to make a Paradox account and then check my email, and then open up steam just to get the key. I don't have time for that kind of poo poo. Here's a 500 word essay about how time-consuming and difficult the process is: :words:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Smoremaster posted:

I'm guessing After the End hasn't been updated to work with the new patch/dlc yet? I downloaded the latest github version and the game won't launch. :(
IT WORKS NOW

sort of. Tech levels are wonky as gently caress, but at least it doesn't CTD.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

IT WORKS NOW

sort of. Tech levels are wonky as gently caress, but at least it doesn't CTD.

Good to hear, I'll give it another shot!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So how buggy is it if I just wanted to start from 867 in Poland?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Smoremaster posted:

Good to hear, I'll give it another shot!

It's still in a bit of a bug-hunting sort of state, mind you. We'll try to get it polished as best we can as soon as we can, but for now the best is that it doesn't blow up immediately yaaay

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

It's still in a bit of a bug-hunting sort of state, mind you. We'll try to get it polished as best we can as soon as we can, but for now the best is that it doesn't blow up immediately yaaay

Are you planning on utilizing any of the new tribal mechanics in the mod? Seems like it would fit pretty well.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Smoremaster posted:

Are you planning on utilizing any of the new tribal mechanics in the mod? Seems like it would fit pretty well.

Yeah, there were several tribes in the mod already. Might expand on that a bit, but I dunno.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Excelzior posted:

Hahaha my signup and logins were a breeze so let me poo poo all over your complaints because gently caress everyone else's issues, I'm the only person that matters.

To be fair the complaints aren't that they are difficult outside of existing.

So nice try?

Though even if you had issues (you didn't) I would still say this post but unironically.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Smoremaster posted:

Ugh, but it's hard to get my totally legit non-pirated CD key and paste it into a field on a webpage. I mean, I have to make a Paradox account and then check my email, and then open up steam just to get the key. I don't have time for that kind of poo poo. Here's a 500 word essay about how time-consuming and difficult the process is: :words:

Again, forum registration was INTENTIONALLY DISABLED by paradox without notice for about a week during the CK2 sale and my own anecdote was about my elderly, mostly computer illiterate, father trying to figure this poo poo out about 6 years ago when this kind of thing was far less common especially for niche strategy games that he had experience with.
It's bullshit to say anyone mentioning the forum registration is annoying has stolen the game when it's really easy to look at some ones steam profile and see what games they actually own. Also the game was literally $1 a month or two ago and im pretty sure you only need the base game cd-key for forum registration so more than likely anyone complaining about the registration probably was able to spare that $1 or had it given to them.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Because retinue whining is much preferable to DRM whining . . .

1) Guess what the backbone of my Venician Grand Principality of Carpathia was.
2) Guess which Orthodox empire to my east hasn't magically collapsed like the DLC-patch suggested might happen to large blobs.
3) Guess whether or not this game was an Ironman game I intended to play all the way through with.
4) Guess who was stupid enough to load up and play said game without rolling back to a pre-patch version.

Seriously I think this one really did ruin the fun of merchant republics, retinues seem too expensive even for Venice.

Epinephrine fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 16, 2014

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005
What are you supposed to do with tribal counties you conquer through holy wars? I just took Osnabruck, and there isn't a barony in the county.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Some one forgot to give the event a response name

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Someone page me when people stop bitching about DRM and other people stop bitching about people bitching about DRM (Kly you cool, but the last couple pages have been ridiculous). Someone post a fun/funny story to distract us or something.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Epinephrine posted:

Because retinue whining is much preferable to DRM whining . . .

1) Guess what the backbone of my Venician Grand Principality of Carpathia was.
2) Guess which Orthodox empire to my east hasn't magically collapsed like the DLC-patch suggested might happen to large blobs.
3) Guess whether or not this game was an Ironman game I intended to play all the way through with.
4) Guess who was stupid enough to load up and play said game without rolling back to a pre-patch version.

Seriously I think this one really did ruin the fun of merchant republics, retinues seem too expensive even for Venice.

As reformed Norse I can afford to keep my vast retinues if they spend all their time raiding :v: I guess I'll just disband some and see if my realm blows up.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

Someone page me when people stop bitching about DRM and other people stop bitching about people bitching about DRM (Kly you cool, but the last couple pages have been ridiculous). Someone post a fun/funny story to distract us or something.

From the CK Challenge Megathread:

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

So I had a problem with the Serbia file. I just won the Crusade for Jerusalem, and I have a bunch of titles to hand out. My steward offers to help me hand them out. This is a new feature in Charlemagne, so I'm curious and I agree. My steward grabs a bunch of new titles for himself, takes away all my good titles and gives me useless town and church titles and sends my son off to some county where I can't educate him. gently caress. gently caress. loving gently caress gently caress. I deleted the file.

And it's on Ironman, so I couldn't take back the file if I wanted to.

That sounds like an awesome feature that I will always say yes to.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

monster on a stick posted:

From the CK Challenge Megathread:

That sounds like an awesome feature that I will always say yes to.
Uh huh. Note to self: dont trust my Steward.

Thank you!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Bort Bortles posted:

Uh huh. Note to self: dont trust my Steward.

Thank you!

Should have seen it coming, really.

(I had the same thing happen to me, though I wasn't playing Ironman. What a useless loving feature.)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Should have seen it coming, really.

(I had the same thing happen to me, though I wasn't playing Ironman. What a useless loving feature.)

I sincerely hope that the feature works as designed and Paradox decided to troll their fanbase. :allears:

VVVV - sounds like I was right

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Playing as a vassal I used that option (there's a decision for it) for my liege, and all I was allowed to do was pick which of four useless jackasses to hand a city to. That was it.

Sounds totally balanced!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hey, fun fact: If you want your Assassinate button back, all you have to do is open defines.lua and change SEND_ASSASSIN_INTERACTION_ENABLED = 0 to SEND_ASSASSIN_INTERACTION_ENABLED = 1.

Forgot to mention: your Spymaster can no longer aid your chances of succeeding/not getting caught, so it's pretty much useless except to get rid of adventurers or if you just don't give a poo poo about Dishonorable maluses.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
...I'm curious. Everyone's going feudal with tribes. Why is everyone going feudal? I understand you can go republic? What's the downside in this case?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

To what I understand, going republic is broken

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why the hell are the Muslims not breaking up??? By the time I get any good traction up North they've always turned into horrible huge as blobs and it's really annoying how they basically always stay in super high MA without console fuckery. Annoying. And they never seem to go decadent, assholes seem unwilling to try for independence, ughh.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Forgot to mention: your Spymaster can no longer aid your chances of succeeding/not getting caught, so it's pretty much useless except to get rid of adventurers or if you just don't give a poo poo about Dishonorable maluses.

Instead, the same Spymaster action boosts plot power (presumably against targets in a given province) - I'm not sure of the exact mechanic or whether it's a flat boost vs. a boost to gain from individual plotters or whatever, but I figure it was supposed to replace the boost to assassination chances so meh.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Kly posted:

Again, forum registration was INTENTIONALLY DISABLED by paradox without notice for about a week during the CK2 sale and my own anecdote was about my elderly, mostly computer illiterate, father trying to figure this poo poo out about 6 years ago when this kind of thing was far less common especially for niche strategy games that he had experience with.
It's bullshit to say anyone mentioning the forum registration is annoying has stolen the game when it's really easy to look at some ones steam profile and see what games they actually own. Also the game was literally $1 a month or two ago and im pretty sure you only need the base game cd-key for forum registration so more than likely anyone complaining about the registration probably was able to spare that $1 or had it given to them.

I was mostly referring to Trabisnikof, who was saying how hard it is to check his email.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

Instead, the same Spymaster action boosts plot power (presumably against targets in a given province) - I'm not sure of the exact mechanic or whether it's a flat boost vs. a boost to gain from individual plotters or whatever, but I figure it was supposed to replace the boost to assassination chances so meh.

The plot power increase is insignificant. There is now very little reason I can think of to ever not have your Spymaster parked in Constantinople 24/7.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Also I'm seeing a LOT more characters dying natural deaths in their 40s, and twice now I've seen someone with Health of 6.0 or above die "of poor health" in their 40s. Is anyone else noticing this?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Bloodly posted:

...I'm curious. Everyone's going feudal with tribes. Why is everyone going feudal? I understand you can go republic? What's the downside in this case?

Well, several things happened when I tried. First, all of the still tribal holdings got massive maluses because they're now considered the "wrong type" of holding. Since all the major landowners in the kingdom got picked by the game to become patricians, they suffered the same thing. The kingdom went from being able to summon 6k+ stacks down to sub-1k, and income cratered for everything but that first city that I'd taken the "form republic" decision for. Also, every single holding had it's levy and garrison magically depleted as if it had been conquered, meaning every single neighbor decided it was time to crack some skulls and there was jack all anyone in the kingdom (sorry, grand republic) could do about it.

When I died and another family won the election, the one capitol city of the republic didn't get passed on to the next patrician appropriately - which meant that they only had tribal holdings, so the whole thing somehow reverted to a tribal system and everything about the republic (trade posts, estates, etc) was magically deleted from the face of the planet. Oh, and the duke-level republican titles that existed got turned from republics into feudal duchies despite never being feudal at any previous time (the holdings are still all tribal).

It, uh, doesn't really work right.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

You still get the "wrong holding type" if you have tribal vassals as a feudal leader, if that makes a difference.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Odobenidae posted:

You still get the "wrong holding type" if you have tribal vassals as a feudal leader, if that makes a difference.

I thought so except that I didn't have that problem in my new magically-feudal duchy, complete with feudal laws, despite all the holdings being tribal. :psyduck:

I don't understand.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Kly posted:

What would you call developers intentionally disabling access for new customers to the only form of tech support they have available?
We all love CK2 and Paradox and I know they have some devs that post here but that doesn't mean they don't make the occasional boneheaded decision.

again, i cant stress enough that it's a MUCH nicer form of DRM than something like uplay but it can STILL cause problems for people unfamiliar with a system like that or who aren't accustomed to that kind of customer support.

I think hiding cd keys during the sale was a side effect of the free weekend and not something that was supposed to screw anyone over. Settle down.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Also I'm seeing a LOT more characters dying natural deaths in their 40s, and twice now I've seen someone with Health of 6.0 or above die "of poor health" in their 40s. Is anyone else noticing this?

Charlemagne is alive and kicking at 70 and I've only had one of my 10 kids die, of pneumonia at 12.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Why the hell are the Muslims not breaking up??? By the time I get any good traction up North they've always turned into horrible huge as blobs and it's really annoying how they basically always stay in super high MA without console fuckery. Annoying. And they never seem to go decadent, assholes seem unwilling to try for independence, ughh.

As I found out, winning wars as the Muslims will get rid of a huge amount of decadence, along with huge piety and prestige, basically no one want to revolt as they have nothing to hate about their all mighty ruler due to the positive modifiers, It makes old Fatimid seem chaotic starting from the 700's

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe
So I turned Manaw into a Republic and the great houses don't fire. So I take the two other counties that may or may not be the de jure dutchy, depending on the phase of the moon I guess. That manages to populate my great houses so I'm a proper merchant republic.

After I die, I get the game over because apparently I became a republic and can no longer play. :thumbsup:

e: And I can't recreate it because now Pictland has decided that I need 5000 troops pushing my poo poo in instead, and I lose my last holding.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I'm not quiet sure what happened here, but if any unit moves onto this empty providence, crashes the game

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I know it's outdated now, but are newborns in CK2+ more heavily weighted to start with Sickly or Ill or something? Only one out of my last guy's five children lived more than two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

Corbeau posted:

Well, several things happened when I tried. First, all of the still tribal holdings got massive maluses because they're now considered the "wrong type" of holding. Since all the major landowners in the kingdom got picked by the game to become patricians, they suffered the same thing. The kingdom went from being able to summon 6k+ stacks down to sub-1k, and income cratered for everything but that first city that I'd taken the "form republic" decision for. Also, every single holding had it's levy and garrison magically depleted as if it had been conquered, meaning every single neighbor decided it was time to crack some skulls and there was jack all anyone in the kingdom (sorry, grand republic) could do about it.

When I died and another family won the election, the one capitol city of the republic didn't get passed on to the next patrician appropriately - which meant that they only had tribal holdings, so the whole thing somehow reverted to a tribal system and everything about the republic (trade posts, estates, etc) was magically deleted from the face of the planet. Oh, and the duke-level republican titles that existed got turned from republics into feudal duchies despite never being feudal at any previous time (the holdings are still all tribal).

It, uh, doesn't really work right.

Sounds like the best strategy is to upgrade all (or most) of the tribes in your realm to the point where they can become cities instead of hitting the button as soon as you can. Just like with going feudal.

• Locked thread