Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AgentSythe posted:

In seriousness that deck has been really pissing me off. I can never close the door with it. I've been trying the Soul Blade version but that hasn't really gone well either.

I'm probably just bad.

I haven't had this issue yet and I just played against Abzan Midrange online.

This deck is hella fun and let's me play Chasm Skulker and not feel bad about it. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Count Bleck posted:

I haven't had this issue yet and I just played against Abzan Midrange online.

This deck is hella fun and let's me play Chasm Skulker and not feel bad about it. :getin:

Has Chasm Skulker been good for you? I've literally never seen a Squid token, because it either gets destroyed as a 1/1 or gets exiled once it's bigger.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yeah I expect several people to snatch up arabian nights anyway, I have no real interest in the old old sets myself. Just thinking about some sets I never got to draft, like lorwyn or zendikar block. I'll probably do mostly coresets anyways.

I don't know how much you trust the store, but isn't it a bad idea to buy loose packs from that long ago? I recall hearing that someone can figure out which rare is in the pack due to the booster wrapper being super thin, so you'll never get any Libraries or Bazaars, just every elephant graveyard ever.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
So im trying my hand at alter artwork. I paint on perfect fit sleeves though.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Nice! But it needs that blue paper layer to survive a third glance.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Olothreutes posted:

I don't know how much you trust the store, but isn't it a bad idea to buy loose packs from that long ago? I recall hearing that someone can figure out which rare is in the pack due to the booster wrapper being super thin, so you'll never get any Libraries or Bazaars, just every elephant graveyard ever.

I actually do trust the guys there and I've never had a reason not to. For all I know the packs they're ordering could have been mapped, but I don't think they would do it themselves. They're making money selling these old packs to us. I do know that the older the set, the easier it is to map, so I personally wouldn't spend all that extra money on old packs. Plus most of the cards from those sets were terrible.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chamale posted:

Has Chasm Skulker been good for you? I've literally never seen a Squid token, because it either gets destroyed as a 1/1 or gets exiled once it's bigger.

Basically what you really want to do is play it before you swing with bident on the board/know for a fact your opponent is twiddling their thumbs.

And then you at the very worst have a 2/2 for three that makes a 1/1.

At the very best you have a 4/4 on your untap :getin:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

AgentSythe posted:

I'mIt's probably just bad.

Ftfy, it's fun as hell but also wildly inconsistent. An excellent deck for the gambling person.

Count Bleck posted:

Basically what you really want to do is play it before you swing with bident on the board/know for a fact your opponent is twiddling their thumbs.

I sadly took out my Chasm Skulkers for more Daring Thief action, but I'll probably end up talking myself back into them for gameday since I have this huge pile of squid tokens all ready to go.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Count Bleck posted:

Bident's been extremely good, so I'm thinking about cutting a Skulker for an extra Bident. I've had races where Bident definitely won because it gave me lots of cards while my fliers just swung past my opponent's army. Chasm Skulker is good when Bident is giving me a free Ancestral Recall every turn, but I don't need any extra good cards when I have a free Ancestral Recall every turn.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Details on that mtg board game they announced at the PT: http://s3.gatheringmagic.com.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2014/10/16/mtgsg-press-fact-sheet.pdf

eh

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

That DOES look astoundingly eh.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

It's Heroscape. Like all but 100% a copy

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yeah I like board games and Magic, but this doesn't seem like the game for me anyway.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

More female avatars than male avatars, though. That's pretty cool in my book.
Also, they're hiding the white planeswalker from us. Does that mean they're not sure whether to cast Elspeth, Gideon or Ajani, or does it mean we're getting a brand new white Planeswalker! :tinfoil:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Bleh. I'm no game designer, but I think I'd have tried to incorporate planeswalking in some way shape or form--it sells the setting a whole lot better than 'random battlescape' does. I just don't think a tactical combat game really does a whole lot for the brand. Go for something a little more Arkham Horror (although ideally not hideously complicated and long) in terms of board layout instead of Heroscape.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

More female avatars than male avatars, though. That's pretty cool in my book.
Also, they're hiding the white planeswalker from us. Does that mean they're not sure whether to cast Elspeth, Gideon or Ajani, or does it mean we're getting a brand new white Planeswalker! :tinfoil:

Considering that Nissa seems to be fully replacing Garruk at this point and we're likely going to get a new white planeswalker who isn't a giant cat, it seems like they're really trying to model the group to be more general audience friendly, a la movie goers.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

Considering that Nissa seems to be fully replacing Garruk at this point and we're likely going to get a new white planeswalker who isn't a giant cat, it seems like they're really trying to model the group to be more general audience friendly, a la movie goers.

But Gideon's pretty moviegoer man.

Granted, he's also stuck on Ravnica.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

But Gideon's pretty moviegoer man.

Granted, he's also stuck on Ravnica.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking. I mean, dark, tall, and handsome superman should drag in a certain chunk of the possible audience. Who knows?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
:sigh: I still hope against hope that the MtG movie A: isn't terrible and B: features Ajani and Bolas' conflict in some way. Giant one-eyed badass cat-dude's the best.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ungulateman posted:

:sigh: I still hope against hope that the MtG movie A: isn't terrible and B: features Ajani and Bolas' conflict in some way. Giant one-eyed badass cat-dude's the best.

I can't imagine any scenario where the movie is anything but terrible but I am going to see it anyway, which I guess is the entire point of this movie getting made.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

ungulateman posted:

rabidsquid posted:

I can't imagine any scenario where the movie is anything but terrible but I am going to see it anyway, which I guess is the entire point of this movie getting made.

I kind of want them to do a set to release alongside the movie that just uses stills from the movie as card art for every card in the set :allears:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Pyronic posted:

I kind of want them to do a set to release alongside the movie that just uses stills from the movie as card art for every card in the set :allears:

6 planeswalkers, the original 5 and Bolas. Set of 5 only released for the movie.

Legacy/Vintage playable only, and they'll all be broken as gently caress.

Especially Bolas. :getin:

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.

Pyronic posted:

I think it would be cute if they gave everyone who saw the movie a promo card like the Pokemon and Yugioh movies.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

homerlaw posted:

It's Heroscape. Like all but 100% a copy
IIRC Hasbro owns Heroscape so this should not be surprising.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Do people really use YouTube to trade MTG cards in TYOOL 2014? I clicked a thread on deckbox about a possible bad trader and it linked me to a YouTube video of someone showing off his trade binder.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
That picture makes it look like it's literally just Heroscape. Like, those terrain bits look compatible at first glance with Heroscape terrain.

mango sentinel posted:

IIRC Hasbro owns Heroscape so this should not be surprising.

Announcement posted:

Who is developing the game?
• The Magic: The Gathering Strategy Board Game is being co-­developed by Wizards of the Coast and the Hasbro Gaming team responsible for RISK LEGACY and HEROSCAPE.

Edit: Also, am I the only one who finds those translucent acrylic figures really tacky and cheap-looking? Honestly I feel like I'd rather have standard plain gray/brown figures.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 16, 2014

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Would not be surprised if that is intentionally the case.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Risk legacy is the best, though, so that's cool.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Edit: Also, am I the only one who finds those translucent acrylic figures really tacky and cheap-looking? Honestly I feel like I'd rather have standard plain gray/brown figures.

Translucent plastic is fun for mini painters. You can do all sorts of funky paint jobs with it. I went through a phase a while back recasting things into clear polyurethane and doing some really funky stuff with them like masking areas with a paint job, then embedding a micro LED in the base with a tiny button battery so the unpainted areas glowed. These ones might be a tad too small to pull off that exact effect, but something creative and fun can probably be done with them.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Xaerael posted:

Translucent plastic is fun for mini painters. You can do all sorts of funky paint jobs with it. I went through a phase a while back recasting things into clear polyurethane and doing some really funky stuff with them like masking areas with a paint job, then embedding a micro LED in the base with a tiny button battery so the unpainted areas glowed. These ones might be a tad too small to pull off that exact effect, but something creative and fun can probably be done with them.

That sounds pretty sweet, but since I'm not really into miniature painting, they would probably just end up looking like indistinguishable translucent blobs while playing.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Is ebay the default best place for foreign cards? I'm looking to acquire a few small things to make my dumb EDH "pimp" Foil anime boobie sleeves are already in the mail! (this is a joke)

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'm kind of an rear end in a top hat, so these are my anime tit sleeves for edh: SFW, not tits

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Currently getting reamed by a standard mill deck in MTGO. I didn't think that could be possible but it's probably just the lovely rear end quality of my jeskai deck.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Photo from Essen (via reddit). Those dice make it look even more Heroscapey, but there seems to be cards, too? The blue card in the top right looks like the Duel Decks version of Counterspell.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Photo from Essen (via reddit). Those dice make it look even more Heroscapey, but there seems to be cards, too? The blue card in the top right looks like the Duel Decks version of Counterspell.

Those are all Magic cards by the looks of it. Maybe the game sucks, so the players broke out their Magic decks instead.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I dunno, if I were them I'd make their board game cards look like the card game cards, too. There are what I assume to be oversized planeswalker reference cards for Liliana, Jace and Chandra, and also a stack of blue cards, a stack of black cards, and a stack of red cards... I think they're part of the game.

Edit: More pictures - they are indeed custom cards with Magic art. Also very Heroscape-like units.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 16, 2014

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Sieze the day? More like Sieze the Spell-Checker.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I thought Power of Fire said "enchant squid" for a second, which would be awesome.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Yawgmoth posted:

I thought Power of Fire said "enchant squid" for a second, which would be awesome.

I might actually play MTG: Timmyscape if its all dragons, squids and other tribal nonsense fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

:lol: at giving the firecat haste in this game. Everyone I know went through at least a brief phase where they thought the actual card had haste.

• Locked thread