Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Irish Joe posted:

You're really overselling the quality of Marvel movies. Yeah, they're fun popcorn movies, but when I think "well-written," I don't think Thor 2, Iron Man 2 or GotG.
It's alright for most people watching as the spectacle of interconnected movies and properties doing a team up will get people to watch almost entirely regardless.

That being said, Marvel movies are adequete/satisfactory writing at best, their plots don't matter in the slightest and it's mostly about finding the right actors with good chemistry on screen.

Also it's my belief Marvel has an easier time with its heroes at making them sympathetic and relatable whereas I feel like the DC Triumvirate (Supes, Bats, WW) feel like inscrutable figures and I haven't done much with to break that trend at a similar level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Though I regret referring anyone wishing to discuss superhero films to Cinema Discusso, but the movie chat like the comic chat doesn't really belong here.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What's the deal with the new Transporter show on TNT? Is it just the episodes that they aired in Europe or are they brand new?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

When I read about DC's years-long plans to do "the Marvel thing", including actual loving Aquaman film and of all things Shazam, I can't help but picture a few years from now and a bunch of projects getting dumped direct-to-video and being awful.

It's like they're assuming that they can just translate the Batman (and Man of Steel, I guess) success onto any property without the understanding that Marvel did which was "let's make sure we hire good writers and directors first".

Yeah, Zack Snyder, Chris Nolan and David Ayers are not good directors.

edit: The smartest thing any comedy writer can do is let Casey Wilson talk. It doesn't matter what about, or in what context, but I want to watch her talk endlessly.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 16, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yoshifan823 posted:

Snyder certainly isn't and Nolan isn't directing anything for DC's "universe."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GreenNight posted:

What's the deal with the new Transporter show on TNT? Is it just the episodes that they aired in Europe or are they brand new?

It's like 4 years old.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yoshifan823 posted:

Goofus hires Zack Snyder! Gallant hires James Gunn. :cool:

No but anyway, speaking of TV shows, Gotham is so loving dumb but the Penguin is so loving great that I don't think I can stop watching. Also, Donal Logue is a dick.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Gaz-L posted:

It's like 4 years old.

No, it's two years old. I checked and apparently TNT is showing the new Season 2 which was filmed this year. Season 1 won't be shown. Sort of like Strikes Back I guess.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deadpool posted:

Black-ish is great.

I already agreed, but tonight's "liquor store cupcakes" joke was the hardest I've laughed at a network sitcom in a very long time.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

GreenNight posted:

Fingers crossed iZombie is added to that list when it hits.

Sepinwall said he liked the pilot he saw (though it's since been altered a bit). I hope the zombie saturation doesn't hurt this show; the title sounds like another zombie apocalypse show but as far as I can tell it's Rob Thomas doing a show about a young (and undead) woman solving mysteries, so I'm pretty much sold already.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

IRQ posted:

I already agreed, but tonight's "liquor store cupcakes" joke was the hardest I've laughed at a network sitcom in a very long time.

That and the Harriet Tubman classroom scene were amazing.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

GreenNight posted:

No, it's two years old. I checked and apparently TNT is showing the new Season 2 which was filmed this year. Season 1 won't be shown. Sort of like Strikes Back I guess.

It would have to be a massive improvement from season 1 to be worth watching. No wonder no network bothered with season 1, it was terrible. Blandest leading man i've ever seen. Awful acting and writing all around. Even the car action was tepid at best.

e. actually i've just checked the TNT website and it seems TNT are indeed showing season 1 starting October 18. Even though season 2 has already started in Canada.

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 16, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

Goofus hires Zack Snyder! Gallant hires James Gunn. :cool:

Goofus has creative differences with Edgar Wright, ending their work relationship. Gallant lets Zack Snyder do whatever the gently caress he wants, under the watchful eye of Chris Nolan.

Goofus manages to make Edward Norton be in the right in an editing room conflict, ending their work relationship. Gallant lets Ben Affleck bring his own guy on board, because you should really trust the dudes who made Argo.

Goofus makes a lame TV show that has interconnecting story links to it's movie universe! Gallant makes TV shows of varying qualities that live or die on the actual quality of the show, and keeps their movie poo poo separate.

(Agents of SHIELD would not have gotten a second season were it not the most synergetic synergy to ever have synergized)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is getting weird and petty, dude.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Marvel movies and DC shows are both boring

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Goofus has creative differences with Edgar Wright, ending their work relationship. Gallant lets Zack Snyder do whatever the gently caress he wants, under the watchful eye of Chris Nolan.

Goofus manages to make Edward Norton be in the right in an editing room conflict, ending their work relationship. Gallant lets Ben Affleck bring his own guy on board, because you should really trust the dudes who made Argo.

Goofus makes a lame TV show that has interconnecting story links to it's movie universe! Gallant makes TV shows of varying qualities that live or die on the actual quality of the show, and keeps their movie poo poo separate.

(Agents of SHIELD would not have gotten a second season were it not the most synergetic synergy to ever have synergized)

Jesus, shut up. I like Man of Steel and even I think this post is terrible.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > TV IV Couch Chat: Where people can't handle comic book shows

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Neighbors say "But Yoshifan823 was always such a nice person. We had no idea they'd just... just snap like that..."

Police say the investigation is "not entirely" closed but that there are currently "no other suspects".

I'm Rod Stawyers, KPFA Eyewitness News. Jan?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

Neighbors say "But Yoshifan823 was always such a nice person. We had no idea they'd just... just snap like that..."

Police say the investigation is "not entirely" closed but that there are currently "no other suspects".

I'm Rod Stawyers, KPFA Eyewitness News. Jan?

Just wait until they find my manifesto. 500 handwritten pages all about how dumb Thor is.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Just wait until they find my manifesto. 500 handwritten pages all about how dumb Thor is.

At least 80 pages are devoted to Female Thor I'm guessing.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sober posted:

At least 80 pages are devoted to Female Thor I'm guessing.

Movie, not comic books. I do spend a solid 10 pages on Kat Dennings being representative of US/Norwegian relationships in the modern era.

edit: I'm talking Unabomber manifesto, not creepy MRA manifesto.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

Movie, not comic books. I do spend a solid 10 pages on Kat Dennings being representative of US/Norwegian relationships in the modern era.

You clearly haven't read the Unabomber Manifesto or seen Suckerpunch.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Yoshifan823 posted:

From the manifesto of Yoshifan823:

quote:

I was at the beach, alone, sitting in my '92 Camry that Father bought for me. I saw a couple sitting on a bench, talking to each other about the quality of Marvel movies over DC movies. I was so angered because I knew that she was vapid and shallow but even so, extremely attractive. And I became very angry as I pictured them having sex together every night while talking about the higher level of quality in writing in Marvel films compared to their DC counterparts. It made me so very angry, I imagined yelling at them and explaining why Marvel is pure drek while DC explores the base realities and doldrums of our daily lives.

I then ran home and cried, after posting my thoughts on the internet.

P.S. L&O:SVU had an episode about this tonight. Coincidence Yoshifan? I think not.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OK. So what is going on in TV that is not at all related to anything else that precedes this post?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Deadpool posted:

OK. So what is going on in TV that is not at all related to anything else that precedes this post?

Z-Nation has a new episode this Friday!

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I'm watching Sleepy Hollow. It's pretty fun.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Who is the guess for first cancellation this year?

ABC won last year with a week 2(3?) pull of Lucky 7, who will win this time? Will it be Manhattan Love Story(crime of being boring), Red Band Society(crime of schmaltz), an NBC "comedy"?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Postal Parcel posted:

ABC won last year with a week 2(3?) pull of Lucky 7, who will win this time? Will it be Manhattan Love Story(crime of being boring), Red Band Society(crime of schmaltz), an NBC "comedy"?

I think Hieroglyph technically already won that. If we're not counting that I'll say one of the lowest rated comedies like Manhattan Love Story, A to Z, or Mulaney.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Postal Parcel posted:

I love when somebody mentions a show that was so unremarkable and short-lived that you never knew it existed despite it being on a major network. What was Lucky 7? Was that a show where a bunch of people won the lottery or something? Because I do remember another show like that called "Windfall" from a few years ago.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Deadpool posted:

I think Hieroglyph technically already won that. If we're not counting that I'll say one of the lowest rated comedies like Manhattan Love Story, A to Z, or Mulaney.

It has to have aired an episode to be counted, otherwise Fox probably would have won last season with Murdercops.

Mulaney...could it go the way of Sons of Tuscon and have a full self-contained season with a series finale at the end?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

raditts posted:

I love when somebody mentions a show that was so unremarkable and short-lived that you never knew it existed despite it being on a major network. What was Lucky 7? Was that a show where a bunch of people won the lottery or something? Because I do remember another show like that called "Windfall" from a few years ago.

What was the name of the show with the 6 people who were seemingly unconnected, following their separate stories where they would dovetail in some way? Few years back, I think.

Also: Bad Judge is my guess. I already forget it exists most of the time.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Postal Parcel posted:

Manhattan Love Story

Postal Parcel posted:

Mulaney...could it go the way of Sons of Tuscon and have a full self-contained season with a series finale at the end?
Nah it's just gonna get canceled shortly after MLS and A to Z (which is too bad because the A-Z pilot was pretty sweet). Fox is having a horrific season for debut series not dissimilar to ABC last year (one standout-ish new performer among a bounty of debacles) so they're probably giving it a lot of rope - but a 1.0 debut is DOA.

raditts posted:

What was Lucky 7? Was that a show where a bunch of people won the lottery or something?
You got it, seven people to be exact (GET IT?! :haw:). I want to say it aired two eps before being cancelled? Maybe three?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Kaizoku posted:

What was the name of the show with the 6 people who were seemingly unconnected, following their separate stories where they would dovetail in some way? Few years back, I think.

Also: Bad Judge is my guess. I already forget it exists most of the time.

Six Degrees. I don't think a single one of the "Lost clones" from a few years back made it to a second season. The Nine, Invasion, Surface, Flash Forward etc.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
American Horror Story is doing an excellent job of being engaging but uncomfortable this season. It's still too soon to say for certain, but I think it may redeem the stupid Witches of Shitwick season we got last year.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Peter Stromare was glorious on Arrow

zoux posted:

...that sounds kind of menacing.

Also reminder that people in this forum literally believe that this show

Is the superior zombie show.
Well it was. I mean just look at your gif.

The Walking Dead season premiere was really good though.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I don't even read comic books but I cannot tell you how much I love this recap of Neal Adams's Batman: Odyssey. Like, I'm not even going to tl;dr this poo poo, click that link and dive head-first into the insanity.
Holy poo poo

I need to see this on TV or film at some point

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 16, 2014

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Cardboard Box A posted:

I need to see this on TV or film at some point

Flashpoint Paradox.

MrAristocrates posted:

Can't wait for a gritty Flash movie, that's what we all needed.

Flashpoint Paradox.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I just watched the pilot of Gilmore Girls and liked it a lot. Looking forward to seeing how Rory and Lorelei's relationship develops. I imagine that'll be the most interesting part since the driving conflict of the first episode was "does Rory go to a presumably swanky prep school or not."

I hope Jared Padalecki (did I spell that right?) isn't as underwhelming in this as he often is in Supernatural.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I just learned that Iron Chef, the original Japanese version, was streamed on Netflix!

I also just learned that it’s no longer on Netflix.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I just watched the pilot of Gilmore Girls and liked it a lot. Looking forward to seeing how Rory and Lorelei's relationship develops. I imagine that'll be the most interesting part since the driving conflict of the first episode was "does Rory go to a presumably swanky prep school or not."

I hope Jared Padalecki (did I spell that right?) isn't as underwhelming in this as he often is in Supernatural.

Yeah it's pretty much all about Lorelei/Rory, with the grandparents being the biggest external influence.

Jared is a big part of the early seasons, less so as it goes on. If you're a TV nerd you'll love some of the actors who come and go over the next 7 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha someone is shopping a Bewitched reboot.

• Locked thread