Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

floor is lava posted:

Bought a EVGA 970 sc with the 1.0 fans and no backplate. Heard there was also trouble with coin whine. EVGA is giving out free backplates for the cards though. Crossing my fingers I won't be hosed to hard. Should be a solid upgrade from my 570 and hopefully help with vr sickness due to low framerates.

Edit: Forgot the EVGA backplate link: http://www.evga.com/articles/00876/EVGAs-Got-Your-Back/

I've had this card for like 2 weeks, you won't regret your purchase at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Rastor posted:

The Zotac power throttling wasn't even in a production card, and in fact they specifically said they would address the issue before production.

And that's why I don't really look at it as a major issue - the hardware is pretty clearly there to make that thing sing, it's just weirdly tuned. But until it's confirmed as definitely fixed, gotta take it into account. There's a pretty big shortage of GM204s thanks to the insane demand, so if you're gonna get one, not really prudent to take an unnecessary risk, if you get me.

Though "it only goes to 1500MHz+" is a pretty great reason to be disappointed in a card, haha. Launch press samples somehow always clock well... :v:

PR fuckups cost money, even if they're only minor issues. So relative, and nobody really wants to spend about the same, or more, and get an inferior product, however slightly.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Been thinking getting a EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked with the 2.0 ACX Cooler, is the problem with the fans and the coil whine that important that I should go for either Zotac or Gigabyte instead?

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Been thinking getting a EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked with the 2.0 ACX Cooler, is the problem with the fans and the coil whine that important that I should go for either Zotac or Gigabyte instead?

I just got that exact model in today. So far it's been wonderful in every possible way. Just fiddle with the settings a bit (fan speeds, and maybe framerate targets/cap to keep excessive FPS from causing the whine). No regrets so far!

Also, every comparison I've seen puts this EVGA firmly in the middle of the pack. Whatever quirks in their heatpipe design, it doesn't seem to have any negative effect in practice. Here's a decent one: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/09/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review/11

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I'm happy with my gigabyte G1. Stable and error free, not a single problem with the install or setup. Very pleased, cant wait to get another one.

This is what I upgraded from:

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 14, 2014

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
I'm planning to move from one 1080p monitor to two 1440p monitors and upgrading from a GTX 560 to a GTX 970 at the same time. Is the graphics card upgrade enough to support an increase in resolution that large? What's the effect on performance when there's a second monitor if I'm only going to run games on the first?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Mush Man posted:

I'm planning to move from one 1080p monitor to two 1440p monitors and upgrading from a GTX 560 to a GTX 970 at the same time. Is the graphics card upgrade enough to support an increase in resolution that large? What's the effect on performance when there's a second monitor if I'm only going to run games on the first?

I have a 4K monitor and a QHD monitor as my secondary. I see no performance drop when playing games on the 4K monitor at QHD and having browsers and videos up on the second monitor.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mush Man posted:

If you aren't gaming on the second monitor then it really doesn't matter. A 970 is fine for 1440p.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Being financially responsible is a pain in the rear end. :sigh:

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

El Scotch posted:

Being financially responsible is a pain in the rear end. :sigh:

You can't afford to not get a 970 SLI setup. Don't let this deal pass you up.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
EVGA 970SC ACX2 first thoughts, it arrived at noon:

• No coil whine or other perceivable added noise.
  • 0 RPM fan firmware works as expected, below 60C it is literally silent. My office is warm so it's hovering around 62C and the fan is floating around 350 RPM.
  • Manually cranking the fan speed up to maximum is really loud.
  • It never gets anywhere close to max fan speed on auto. Running the EVGA version of FurMark brought it up to 77C (default temperature target is 79 apparently) and fan speeds hit ~1750 RPM. Max is ~4400 and will bring an idle GPU below 40C in under a minute.

I haven't yet done any real gaming on it because of a crappy work day, but I'll be putting a few hours in to the new Borderlands tonight and will see if any annoyances show up in an extended session.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Apparently the issue I'm having with the 980 and displayports not working is a fairly common thing.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1515655/gtx-980-displayport-issue-anyone-else

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Woop woop, Heaven benchmark score 520 -> 1387. Also, now I get sound output from my TV monitor when my main audio interface isn't on.

Kornjaca
Mar 19, 2007

As of today I am getting insanely loud coil whine noise from my G1970gtx. Don't know exactly why, but it is present. Any idea of how to remove it would be much appreciated (I'm dreaming I know, just don't want to rma the card).

e: fixed it with Nvidia Inspector...

Kornjaca fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 15, 2014

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Kornjaca posted:

As of today I am getting insanely loud coil whine noise from my G1970gtx. Don't know exactly why, but it is present. Any idea of how to remove it would be much appreciated (I'm dreaming I know, just don't want to rma the card).

e: fixed it with Nvidia Inspector...

How, just in case anyone else might need to know.

Kornjaca
Mar 19, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

How, just in case anyone else might need to know.

Limited the frames to 60. It is sometimes possible to get rid of the coil whine by limiting the frames that the card produces. Occasionally it's possible to get rid of the coil whine with vsync, but sometimes that doesn't help, and in my case it unfortunately didn't so I had to get Nvidia Inspector. Now this does not mean that using Nvidia Inspector will solve the coil whine of another user's card. Sometimes you may actually have to RMA the card. I was lucky, I guess. Anyway it is very simple, download the tool, select options, find the bar that says "Frame Rate Limiter", click that badboy and select 60 fps (or whatever frame rate you want the card to put out) and you are done. Now as I stated earlier, it may not solve your or anyone else's coil whine issues but it did solve mine.

e: hosed around with the program for a while now, and I have limited the frame output to 120fps and no coil whine. However as soon as I switch off the limiter it starts whining like crazy. Just gonna stick with the 60 fps as I don't need more than that.

Kornjaca fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 15, 2014

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Are yields that poor or is this just an artificial supply restriction? I had ordered one card from a retailer who listed it as "in stock" only for it to be changed to back order so I cancelled that. Been waiting on new stock replenishments but they seem to come in very small quantities. One company I asked up here in Canada has received less than 10 total loving cards haha. I am waiting on this for a new build so I'm losing patience.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

The Gunslinger posted:

Are yields that poor or is this just an artificial supply restriction? I had ordered one card from a retailer who listed it as "in stock" only for it to be changed to back order so I cancelled that. Been waiting on new stock replenishments but they seem to come in very small quantities. One company I asked up here in Canada has received less than 10 total loving cards haha. I am waiting on this for a new build so I'm losing patience.

Yes.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Gunslinger posted:

This is far from the worst GPU launch I've seen, I bet its just high demand coupled with very little inventory buildup before launch. I doubt yields are poor because they're staying on 28nm.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So, got my base model Zotac 970 up and running. I've seen 750ti's bigger than this.

There seems to be a bit of stuttering on Heaven but that could be something else like my G3258 or the fact that I'm on Windows 10 preview.

The coil whine is definitely there and louder than the two 80mm fans. The fans are inaudible until I hit around 75c. Running Heaven at full blast tops out at 78c and hits 80c when overclocked 200mhz on GPU and RAM. Frame limiting doesn't get rid of the coil whine but whatever, it's not super loud and when I have all this poo poo in a case I probably won't hear it.

Do 970's throttle at 80c? Because if not then this is just some super low temp Jesus GPU. It's an extremely small cooler and I'm surprised it does this well.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
One nice thing about Tenitus. You can't hear your coil whine.

along the way
Jan 18, 2009
So, what is the maximum safe temperature for the 970's?

I've got my MSi up to ~1488 Mhz GPU core clock and ~2000 MHz GPU memory clock with no voltage change and 110% power in Afterburner.

Running Sniper Elite III, the temperature is getting up to ~67C with the fans set to Auto. Cranking up the fans to 80 doesn't produce anymore noise but cools the card back down to around 55C.

Would I be safe keeping the fan on Auto with the 67C GPU core temp?

along the way fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 15, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
GPUs will happily plug away up to 90 C, really. 95 C is the danger zone.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

along the way posted:

So, what is the maximum safe temperature for the 970's?

I've got my MSi up to ~1488 Mhz GPU core clock and ~2000 MHz GPU memory clock with no voltage change and 110% power in Afterburner.

Running Sniper Elite III, the temperature is getting up to ~67C with the fans set to Auto. Cranking up the fans to 80 doesn't produce anymore noise but cools the card back down to around 55C.

Would I be safe keeping the fan on Auto with the 67C GPU core temp?

By default the fans are not even supposed to turn before 60 C.

along the way
Jan 18, 2009
Looks like I'm good to go then. No coil whine and fan is super quiet.

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

Well, the 280x arrived. Mint condition, 2 months old, and it's Powercolor which I believe means the warranty transfers. I just installed it and ran a quick benchmark of Bioshock Infinite just to make sure it worked. It's perfect. 160 shipped. It was the perfect upgrade for me; I now feel I have the "gateway" high end card for 1080p, and after I sell my 7850, I will have spent 100 or less.

Even with that new game Shadows of Mordor, I can run the textures on high since it has 3 GB of ram. Apparently to run the "ultra" texture pack download you literally need 6GB. Wow.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

The Gunslinger posted:

I think everyone has been desperate for a new card for a long time.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

everythingWasBees posted:

MSI's fan issues would easily put it below Gigabyte or Asus, IMO.

If I were a betting man I'd say the fan issues are a non-issue if you are not stupid about the sticker. When my came the sticker was really on there, but I took my time taking it off and so far no issues.

Can someone explain to me how to mess with overclocking my msi 970? I have the ge force experience thing but I don't see any overclocking options in that application.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Knifegrab posted:

Can someone explain to me how to mess with overclocking my msi 970? I have the ge force experience thing but I don't see any overclocking options in that application.

You need MSI's afterburner program.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 15, 2014

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Mad_Lion posted:

it's Powercolor which I believe means the warranty transfers.
Unlikely. Serial#-based warranty transfers are for MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus cards. Powercolor cards come with 2-year warranties but I'd try to get the original receipt/invoice from the seller ASAP in case you end up needing it. They used to track warranty information via the serial # (no registration needed), but IIRC it's tied to the original purchaser.

Note: They'll probably deny any claims as you're not the original owner, but you might get lucky if you catch them on a good day. Hopefully you won't need it though:
http://www.powercolor.com/us/support_warranty.asp
http://www.powercolor.com/us/members_login_2.asp?url=support_rmaservice.asp

Sapphire ties their warranties to the original buyer although I've read a bunch of reports where they've honored sold cards. Powercolor, not so much.

edit: "PowerColor offers a 2-year limited warranty for all brand new graphic cards purchased within US and Canada *ONLY* (unless stated otherwise). This warranty is valid for 2 years starting from the original purchase date (verified through invoice) and only valid to the ORIGINAL owner of this products and may not be transferred if the product is to be resold or transferred ownership. In order to qualify for this limited 2-year warranty all the conditions under “Terms & Conditions” must be met.
• The warranty covers ONLY the original owner of the product and may not be transferred."

future ghost fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 16, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
You need a third-party program to overclock, like MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision. These programs are almost totally brand-agnostic (sometimes including both AMD and Nvidia cards in one tool, like Afterburner), so it doesn't matter much which you pick.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

cisco privilege posted:

Unlikely. Serial#-based warranty transfers are for MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus cards. Powercolor cards come with 2-year warranties but I'd try to get the original receipt/invoice from the seller ASAP in case you end up needing it. They used to track warranty information via the serial # (no registration needed), but IIRC it's tied to the original purchaser.

Note: They'll probably deny any claims as you're not the original owner, but you might get lucky if you catch them on a good day. Hopefully you won't need it though:
http://www.powercolor.com/us/support_warranty.asp
http://www.powercolor.com/us/members_login_2.asp?url=support_rmaservice.asp

Sapphire ties their warranties to the original buyer although I've read a bunch of reports where they've honored sold cards. Powercolor, not so much.

edit: "PowerColor offers a 2-year limited warranty for all brand new graphic cards purchased within US and Canada *ONLY* (unless stated otherwise). This warranty is valid for 2 years starting from the original purchase date (verified through invoice) and only valid to the ORIGINAL owner of this products and may not be transferred if the product is to be resold or transferred ownership. In order to qualify for this limited 2-year warranty all the conditions under “Terms & Conditions” must be met.
• The warranty covers ONLY the original owner of the product and may not be transferred."

I've dealt with Powercolor's RMA process for far longer than any person reasonably should and they don't ask for any of that stuff. All you need is the serial number of the card, really. For future reference, if you have to RMA through them, just skip the form on their website and e-mail Raymond.Hsu@powercolor.com directly. The form on the site will go to him anyway and you'll save yourself a very long wait (I had already sent card off for the RMA days before they replied to my original inquiry through the website).

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Takeaway: Don't buy Powercolor cards if you can avoid it.

MSI RMA process for me was:
1) Fill out form online. Get RMA#.
2) Send card in.
3) Receive card with shiny new fans.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

cisco privilege posted:

Takeaway: Don't buy Powercolor cards if you can avoid it.

MSI RMA process for me was:
1) Fill out form online. Get RMA#.
2) Send card in.
3) Receive card with shiny new fans.

Pretty much. I had to RMA 2 r9 290's to Powercolor (over a period of 2 months) before I finally got one without any issues. Although the card I now have is excellent (I started with a reference, then a Turboduo and now a PCS+ through their RMA process) I'd be reluctant to wish my experience on even my worst enemy.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Ghostpilot posted:

(I started with a reference, then a Turboduo

Now I want a Powercolor card just for the weird quasi-retro cred :v:

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
Whoa, I'm running Witcher 2 with Ubersampling at 60 FPS with the 980.

Pretty cool.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shrinkage posted:

Whoa, I'm running Witcher 2 with Ubersampling at 60 FPS with the 980.

Pretty cool.
At 720p? :haw:

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

1080p :smuggo:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Sounds about right. I tried the same thing at 1440P and it was 30 FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Knifegrab posted:

If I were a betting man I'd say the fan issues are a non-issue if you are not stupid about the sticker. When my came the sticker was really on there, but I took my time taking it off and so far no issues.

I wish you were a betting man.