Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

did they finally add a mind meld emote? this is very important for my sailor moon fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibanez Murderface
Mar 7, 2005

#!/bin/bash

Haerc posted:

What about Chewie and Han?

There are dudes with bowcasters, that is probably the closest you will get :buddy:

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

my mind... to your mind...

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
So is the current SOTA to get mk 12 items from fleet and do this stupid upgrade thing to them, or should I skip fleet gear entirely and get better stuff elsewhere?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Valatar posted:

So is the current SOTA to get mk 12 items from fleet and do this stupid upgrade thing to them, or should I skip fleet gear entirely and get better stuff elsewhere?
Well, you're not really going to find higher level stuff elsewhere so you're going to be using the stupid upgrades no matter what. As for what the best gear is, it's generally a mix of fleet, reputation, and zen/lobi items. If you want specifics, what character and ship are you using?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Star Trek Online: Put Neelix back in the kitchen where he belongs

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I think the best option right now is to get/make low-level crafting items until you get the mods you want on them (and this is the only way to get CrtDx3 antiprotons for example), then upgrade them. If you have a good skill rank you're basically guaranteed to pop out purple Mk II's, and it's around the same price to upgrade a Mk II to Mk XII as it is to buy a Mk XII rep weapon or the like. Since they're vanilla weapons they're also bound to account rather than bound to character so you only have to do the upgrade bullshit once, too.

Technical Analysis posted:

Pubbies will piss and moan for a while on the forums, and then they'll nerf the poo poo out of the new STFs and we'll just steamroll them again.
Maybe. It's really horrible in the meanwhile though. It's not even "hard" gameplay so much as making the enemy raw damage sponges, and the 30ish% DPS boost you'll get from Mk XIV gear and the new specializations sure doesn't make up for enemies having five times or more the hull to chew through. I have no idea what Cryptic was even thinking.

(No wait, of course I do. "If we make things a tedious slog it will encourage players to spend lots of money on the new cash sinks to try and mitigate it.")

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
Well, if you already have all the stuff for a phaser build then you can go with MK XII [Acc]X3 beam banks. They're a quest reward for two missions so far and are unbound so the market for them went into the tank overnight.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
How does this compare to Neverwinter? In that game, I've liked the fact that there's lots of various way I can improve my characters (companions, campaigns, boons, gear, etc), and the combat system being decent for an MMO. My only issue has been the fact that apparently it has no real hard content. Does STO share this?

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

g0del posted:

Well, you're not really going to find higher level stuff elsewhere so you're going to be using the stupid upgrades no matter what. As for what the best gear is, it's generally a mix of fleet, reputation, and zen/lobi items. If you want specifics, what character and ship are you using?

I have terrible gimmick setups in my quest to out-pubbie the pubbies. I have a few fairly good pieces of equipment and a lot of relative crap just because it was easy to scoop from quests or the exchange.

Harvey - Fed Engineer
Crime: Flying a Vesta in the first place. Piling everything into Aux, including the cannons.
Equipment: Phasers, except for the omnidirectional AP beam turret, Vesta consoles, tachyokinetic and plasmonic leech, aegis set.

SpaceDrizzt - Klankrom Tactical
Crime: Set up a Fleet T'varo for firing torpedoes from cloak - then discovered that torpedoes share cooldowns. :negative:
Equipment: Disruptors, quantum mines, solanae set.

G'ladriel - Fedrom Engineer
Crime: Actually does okay with a shield-sucking and plasmonic leech console on a Fleet Mogai beamboat. Not sure how well that will translate to the T6.
Equipment: Plasma beams, Jem'Hadar set.

Jem - Klankrom Tactical
Crime: Put polaron guns on Jem'Hadar ships just because the purple looked cool. Newest alt, so ships aren't completely equipped yet. Also has a JHDC with bugship pets.
Equipment: Whatever random crap I could shoehorn onto the ships, just recently hit 50.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Apparently set items get fixed mods when upgrading.

That takes a lot of RNG hate out, but does bar you from getting the really cool stuff.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Valatar posted:

Crime: Flying a Vesta in the first place.

Vestas can be pretty nasty these days using Romulan Plasma and embassy consoles. Science and science vessels aren't as poo poo as they were 6 months ago. Tac is still better, of course.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Elswyyr posted:

My only issue has been the fact that apparently it has no real hard content. Does STO share this?

STO shared this fact until yesterday, endgame content will kick your rear end now.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
The whole T6/T5U thing would almost be forgivable for me if the all of the T6 fed ships weren't fugly as hell.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Valatar posted:

I have terrible gimmick setups in my quest to out-pubbie the pubbies. I have a few fairly good pieces of equipment and a lot of relative crap just because it was easy to scoop from quests or the exchange.

Harvey - Fed Engineer
Crime: Flying a Vesta in the first place. Piling everything into Aux, including the cannons.
Equipment: Phasers, except for the omnidirectional AP beam turret, Vesta consoles, tachyokinetic and plasmonic leech, aegis set.

SpaceDrizzt - Klankrom Tactical
Crime: Set up a Fleet T'varo for firing torpedoes from cloak - then discovered that torpedoes share cooldowns. :negative:
Equipment: Disruptors, quantum mines, solanae set.

G'ladriel - Fedrom Engineer
Crime: Actually does okay with a shield-sucking and plasmonic leech console on a Fleet Mogai beamboat. Not sure how well that will translate to the T6.
Equipment: Plasma beams, Jem'Hadar set.

Jem - Klankrom Tactical
Crime: Put polaron guns on Jem'Hadar ships just because the purple looked cool. Newest alt, so ships aren't completely equipped yet. Also has a JHDC with bugship pets.
Equipment: Whatever random crap I could shoehorn onto the ships, just recently hit 50.
I can't really go in-depth while I'm at work, and I don't know the first thing about setting up a Vesta so you'll have to ask someone else about that. But here's a few general tips.

Get fleet tac consoles. Vulnerability Locators in your chosen damage type are pretty much the best thing available for tac console slots. If you can't fill out your engineering/science console slots, plasma-infused -threat consoles from the embassy and neutronium +turn consoles from the dil mine are pretty good buys.

For shields, Elite Fleet Resilient Shield Array Mk XII [Cap]x2 [ResB] [Adapt] is great until you finish the dyson rep, after which you should probably grab the dyson set shield.

Fleet warp/singularity cores are great, but get someone who's actually in-game to tell you which one to get because they have a million options and I can't keep them all straight.

The assimilated deflector/impulse engines from borg rep are good for the two-piece set bonus. The kinetic cutting beam and assimilated module is another borg rep set with a good set bonus. Basically, get lots of borg marks (and good luck gettings BNPs now with the STF changes).

If you're happy with your weapons, go ahead and upgrade them. Just know that any quality increases will add a random mod. Fleet weapons let you avoid some of that lottery, but don't have the best selection of mods. The best weapons will either come from crafting until you randomly get the mods you want, or letting someone else do that and paying way too much EC to buy them off the exchange. Pissbeams, of course, remain awesome and get to avoid the random mod problem.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Der Waffle Mous posted:

The whole T6/T5U thing would almost be forgivable for me if the all of the T6 fed ships weren't fugly as hell.

T5U remains perfectly viable. Currently the only downside is you can't unlock starship traits with them.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

T5U remains perfectly viable. Currently the only downside is you can't unlock starship traits with them.
Or use intel powers, but how much that actually gets you remains to be seen.

Which reminds me, does anyone else have any experience with the space powers? All the ground ones seem fun and useful (tripwire drone is just hilarious), but the space ones seem hit and miss. Best I've tried so far seem to be ionic turbulence (another damage resistance debuff and it has hilarious SFX on large enemies, but quicker things can avoid it), subnucleonic carrier wave (it's an AOE subnuc what the hell else do you need) and electromagnetic pulse probe (seems to be decent CC, if in a different way from grav well). Transport warhead seemed a bit underwhelming (100% shield penetration on a torpedo is nice... but it's just one torpedo shot with no increased damage, though apparently some torpedoes get interesting secondary effects) and surgical strikes felt underwhelming (+30% acc and crit is good... but you're losing base damage while using it too) and both seemed aimed more towards PVP than PVE or something.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Awright guys, question time. I've been playing this game for a few years now, but I've always been pretty casual about it. It was always more about playing space Barbie with starships rather than cranking the maximum possible DPS out of each ship. For my ships, the average is purple Mk XI weapons with blue Mk XI consoles, with almost no fleet/embassy/mine/spire equipment or fancy doffs, and nothing from the lockboxes. I'd definitely fallen behind the power curve, but I could still chip away at stuff in STFs and do all right on the solo content and fly around the galaxy like a real starship captain. But after this update...I dunno. I don't want to screw around with this upgrade crap (not that I want to waste the time and resources on it anyway), but I feel like I'm going to quickly find myself unable to do even the solo content even using my sorta-decent ships. Should I throw in the towel here?

bubbles depo
Jul 25, 2006

doot doot!

Asimo posted:

Or use intel powers, but how much that actually gets you remains to be seen.

Which reminds me, does anyone else have any experience with the space powers? All the ground ones seem fun and useful (tripwire drone is just hilarious), but the space ones seem hit and miss. Best I've tried so far seem to be ionic turbulence (another damage resistance debuff and it has hilarious SFX on large enemies, but quicker things can avoid it), subnucleonic carrier wave (it's an AOE subnuc what the hell else do you need) and electromagnetic pulse probe (seems to be decent CC, if in a different way from grav well). Transport warhead seemed a bit underwhelming (100% shield penetration on a torpedo is nice... but it's just one torpedo shot with no increased damage, though apparently some torpedoes get interesting secondary effects) and surgical strikes felt underwhelming (+30% acc and crit is good... but you're losing base damage while using it too) and both seemed aimed more towards PVP than PVE or something.

Been using the aoe subnuc to pretty great effect in space related things. Plus as a sci, I already have the old school one, so it feels a bit more evil to know I can completely shut things down.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Guys, I discovered the saddest thing last night. Millennium Falcon is too long for a ship title. So, Millennium Fowl is what I have to use :smith:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Marshal Radisic posted:

Should I throw in the towel here?
Well, you'll be able to solo fine, it'll just be... slow. If you have or acquire one of the holiday ships (such as during the upcoming winter event) you'll be able to upgrade that for free and keep up on the power curve there. In practice though you're basically going to be three gear ranks behind the curve (although Mk XII drops are going to be a lot cheaper now) and if you're not able to do Advanced queues reliably you won't be able to get anything useful out of rep rewards which is one of the biggest ways to get unique ship gear (though frankly, everyone who isn't running a well-geared premade is going to have issues with that.)

So... depends. If you're having fun, keep playing. If you're not, stop. It's F2P so no point to keep slogging away at it if you're bored. :v:

Axe-man posted:

Guys, I discovered the saddest thing last night. Millennium Falcon is too long for a ship title. So, Millennium Fowl is what I have to use :smith:
Millennium Hawk? :downs:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Millennium Hawk?

Given the Ebon Hawk of KOTOR, this works on multiple levels.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

after tuvok molested my alts, i logged back into this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Hey, it's possible to customise the Guardian Cruiser into something pretty nice.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Hey, it's possible to customise the Guardian Cruiser into something pretty nice.
Yeah, all you really need to do is drop the dumb secondary nacelles and swap to the neck that doesn't have the terraces.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
The new damage history feature is entertaining.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Asimo posted:

:suicide:

Apparently the tokens for it are purchasable off the exchange, but aren't in a specific category yet. And probably overpriced for a while until undercutting drives them down.

:ssh: when I checked they only showed up under "all" filtered by Lieutenant rank

:Cryptic:

Anyway, prices were mostly ~15m, which makes sense considering FSM prices. Question is will enough listers be buying the bundle to drive the price down to match or will it settle at the single purchase rate instead.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Acer Pilot posted:

after tuvok molested my alts, i logged back into this.

What name are those missions under? I wasn't sure if the one I found (just searched for Bijor) was it (only one came up).

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Marshal Radisic posted:

Awright guys, question time. I've been playing this game for a few years now, but I've always been pretty casual about it. It was always more about playing space Barbie with starships rather than cranking the maximum possible DPS out of each ship. For my ships, the average is purple Mk XI weapons with blue Mk XI consoles, with almost no fleet/embassy/mine/spire equipment or fancy doffs, and nothing from the lockboxes. I'd definitely fallen behind the power curve, but I could still chip away at stuff in STFs and do all right on the solo content and fly around the galaxy like a real starship captain. But after this update...I dunno. I don't want to screw around with this upgrade crap (not that I want to waste the time and resources on it anyway), but I feel like I'm going to quickly find myself unable to do even the solo content even using my sorta-decent ships. Should I throw in the towel here?

You should get in the channel and ask for a fleet invite. Our fleet poo poo is done so you don't need to worry about grinding upgrades and we have vanity fleets you can donate to generate fleet credits. Fleet gear is going to be the cheapest way to jolt your power level up. Do worry about being a casual in the channel we don't give a poo poo about e-peen at all.

Haerc posted:

What name are those missions under? I wasn't sure if the one I found (just searched for Bijor) was it (only one came up).

Foundry missions get pulled every time they roll out a big update and are slowly coming back so expect a bunch of them to be missing for the next two weeks or so.

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Sedrik@Angry_Bucket

Need channel invite, still in guild, no one booted me in like a year of absence. Terrible admins.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

RossMan4Life posted:

Sedrik@Angry_Bucket

Need channel invite, still in guild, no one booted me in like a year of absence. Terrible admins.

You're invited to TheNextGooneration.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MikeJF posted:

It is a pretty ship if you like the Fed aesthetic:

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FuturePastNow posted:

It is a pretty ship if you like the Fed aesthetic:

Well yeah, it's basically a generic Federation cruiser design, a pretty close shout out to the Galaxy but with a more subdued saucer. If I was looking for a cruiser, I'd consider it a strong contender. Sadly only the Romulans received an intel ship that doesn't look like someone took a decent ship, painted it black, smashed it flat with a hammer, then got some 90s kids to rice it up with cold cathode tubes. And even the Romulan intel ship doesn't look great compared to some of their other stuff, it just isn't fugly. The non-intel T6s look okay except for that thing that looks like someone melted Voyager in a microwave.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....
Someone compared the Kazon to the Ancient Aliens guy earlier in the thread. Spot on.

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014
I could use an invite to the channel too, mirra@comradebigt. I made a wiki account with the same account name.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Post somewhere besides the Star Trek Online thread and we'll talk, big guy.

Ibanez Murderface
Mar 7, 2005

#!/bin/bash

ComradeBigT posted:

I could use an invite to the channel too, mirra@comradebigt. I made a wiki account with the same account name.

So uh, how big of a T are we talking here, Comrade?

Inquiring minds must know.

rookiethenewguy
Oct 15, 2014

I was leveling up during the experience bonus days and getting owned around level 15 by cruisers in the romulan starter ship (still haven't had the option to choose which side I want to be on). Is this normal or do I need to rethink how I play the game?

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014

rookiethenewguy posted:

I was leveling up during the experience bonus days and getting owned around level 15 by cruisers in the romulan starter ship (still haven't had the option to choose which side I want to be on). Is this normal or do I need to rethink how I play the game?

You get a new ship at 10 anyway so that should help i guess. You might need to talk to the quest giver to get it to trigger properly, The admiral Kererik guy i think.

Ibanez Murderface posted:

So uh, how big of a T are we talking here, Comrade?

Inquiring minds must know.

Pretty large I'd say, American sized at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The real problem is the second tier ship is quest-gated for Romulans, not level-gated. Normally you'd hit 10 around the time you pick a faction and get the quest, but when double XP's running you're pretty much SOL there. Best advice is to rush through the mandatory story quests, pick a side, then grab your ship.

• Locked thread