Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Sniep posted:

anyone who grew up playing q-bert
i think you also have to have played qix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sniep posted:

anyone who grew up playing q-bert

played this on the thick og gameboy. hoping i count boss.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FMguru posted:

oh well, whatever, never mind

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Leck posted:

i think you also have to have played qix

i have played both of those games but did not grow up with them, so to speak

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FMguru posted:

http://www.emptyage.com/post/11591863916/generation-x-doesnt-want-to-hear-it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

to me, millennials look and sound a lot like the boomers did at their age.

can you imagine what the millennials are going to look like when they get to be the boomers' age?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i'm starting to think musk's mars thing isn't so crazy after all.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

generation x this, generation x that, this guy is a mouth-breathing retard with no ideas of his own

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

generation x this, generation x that, this guy is a mouth-breathing retard with no ideas of his own

yup

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

JewKiller 3000 posted:

don't sign your posts

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

hangouts crashes every time I try to open it. another quality Google product.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

would a new messaging app solve ur problem?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...cement-rebrand/

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

THC posted:

hangouts crashes every time I try to open it. another quality Google product.

works perfectly on my machine. goes above and beyond my expectations even under my bizarre and frankly disturbed use case. if you need tech support check out the android thread in inspect your gadgets, they're really helpful there.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stringent posted:

to me, millennials look and sound a lot like the boomers did at their age.

can you imagine what the millennials are going to look like when they get to be the boomers' age?

less white

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
gently caress Google

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cremnob posted:

hangouts is dead in a year. shall we start the pool?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

computer parts posted:

iirc anyone born post 9/11 is a different generation but we don't have to care about them for another 5 years or so at the earliest

there are already millions of americans old enough to vote who don't remember an era when cops and advertisers didn't read your email and listen to your phone calls

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there are already millions of americans old enough to vote who don't remember an era when cops and advertisers didn't read your email and listen to your phone calls

well yes, most people aren't over 100 years old

and as for email, that shits all been read since the it existed too, so yeah most of the population is under 50 isnt it

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

6/5 ding ding ding

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

and as for email, that shits all been read since the it existed too, so yeah most of the population is under 50 isnt it

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
seriously what is the point of segmenting people into generations with special names? if you want to talk about people who didn't live through 9/11, why would you try to figure out the stupid name for "generation z" or whatever the gently caress it is, when you can just say "born after 2001"? it has as much utility as a zodiac sign, and the meaningless platitudes people assign to generations closely resemble that sort of "scorpios are so feisty!" bullshit

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it sells magazines

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

seriously what is the point of segmenting people into generations with special names? if you want to talk about people who didn't live through 9/11, why would you try to figure out the stupid name for "generation z" or whatever the gently caress it is, when you can just say "born after 2001"? it has as much utility as a zodiac sign, and the meaningless platitudes people assign to generations closely resemble that sort of "scorpios are so feisty!" bullshit

its nice to be part of a group and have things in common with ppl. shared identity feels good. add this to your autismal social integration subroutines sir.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
also, being in the same generation as DFW means you're inherently better than anyone who wasn't

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JewKiller 3000 posted:

seriously what is the point of segmenting people into generations with special names?

selling magazines to olds
esp in the grocery checkout aisles

seriously that's it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
come with me now, to a distant world, circa 1992. a middle aged man finds the familiar logo of time magazine and flips through it idly while waiting for his basket of bacon rinds and new-fangled 'bud dry' to advance on the conveyor belt.

"ahh, yes, I have heard this term 'generation x.' this magazine author understands both my own needs, and the wider world," he thinks.

"clearly i am still 'with it' and capable of meaningful dialogue with the larger popular culture." and the man was happy

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 16, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

JewKiller 3000 posted:

yes why indeed do these so-called sociologists insist on attempting to break down americans into absurdly distinct cultural groups based on birth eras

they're almost as bad as these biologists who demand that every single animal have a ridiculous list of subcategories that it might belong to

why do they do it what is the point

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
meaningless placeholder names like "x" are esp. desirable because they don't limit your writing as a journalist and they don't have to be justified and every magazine can pretend they're writing about the same thing, as compared to something like "beat" which leaves you only a fixed number of dictionary definitions to bullshit about

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i propose swapping out the words in generations with idiots

baby idiots
idiots x
idiots y
millennidiots

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

cremnob posted:

Google talk
Hangouts
And now MSN messenger

So that's three

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

FMguru posted:

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

With Shades of Microsoft, Google’s Android Invites Antitrust Case

As European regulators continue their antitrust review of Google’s search engine, officials there have set their sights on the company’s Android mobile operating system, and it may only be a matter of time before their U.S. counterparts do too.

A famous case provides a roadmap for how that might play out. Google’s handling of Android, much more so than Google Search, resembles Microsoft’s 1990s strategy with its Windows operating system for PCs. That resulted in a decade-long legal and reputational nightmare for Microsoft.

Google’s confidential contracts with makers of Android-powered devices, which The Information recently reported on in detail, have increasingly ensured that the company’s revenue-generating apps, namely Google Search, get more prominent placement on smartphones. Its terms also require increasing numbers of Google apps—sometimes around 20 of them—to be bundled with devices and don’t allow phone makers to take any fewer.

Similarly, Microsoft’s contracts, which resulted in a 2002 antitrust settlement with the government, required PC manufacturers to bundle and promote the Internet Explorer Web browser and other software in prominent locations on the computer screen. Those practices made it harder or reduced the chance that computer makers would include competing Web browsers like Netscape.

:unsmigghh:

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
hangouts loving sucks. the best IM client I've used so far is telegram. only have like 4 friends there, but i like it.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol another quarter and another 2% decline in cost per click year over year

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cremnob posted:

lol another quarter and another 2% decline in cost per click year over year

GOOGL still up 240% for me v:shobon:v

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Marketing.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

qirex posted:

GOOGL still up 240% for me v:shobon:v

sell before its too late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cremnob posted:

sell before its too late