Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

That article was alright, but I'm pretty sure you're usually supposed to research more in-depth for articles in order to avoid giant errors like "Candy's Japanese". :psyduck:

On the recent episode, I generally thought it was funny, but the narration set-up could have been better and the stories felt like they were rushed for time. The Waddles or Hand Witch stories might have made a pretty good episode on their own, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Asgerd posted:

Th-that is an appropriation of African-American Vernacular English (AAVE) and also ableist besides :qq:

As you read this, you may thing Asgerd is mocking the article. This is incorrect. He is quoting it verbatim. :wtc:

Has anyone created think piece bingo yet? I wonder how well this lovely little pile of garbage would do.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Alan Smithee uses Ad Hominem Attack:

quote:

About the author: She sates her need to create in a number of ways including being an active editor on the TV Tropes website

it's super effective!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Here have a thing

(from http://gravi-teamfalls.tumblr.com/)

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Asgerd posted:

I stumbled across this article, and for some reason this part stuck out to me as somewhat irritating.

So I suppose the writer didn't know that Alex Hirsch is Jewish, and that Stan is heavily based on his own grandfather? I don't think antisemitism is a driving factor of the show.

Frankly the whole thing is irritating. Forget her complete failure to do her research, the cherry picking of every possible instance of a trope or stereotype and assigning it a completely negative connotation, based on nothing but assumption mind you, is ridiculous. People like that are part of the reason these problems still exist, not helping them to go away by pointing them out, as she not so genuinely asserts.

Edit: So the whole post isn't surly, Disney XD has a new game up where Soos solves puzzles using clones of himself:

http://games.disney.com/disneyxd-soos-confusing-adventure

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 11, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wittgen posted:

Haha. This is the brand of ideological "critique" that requires absolutely no evidence to condemn something as racist/sexist/ablest/homophobic/whatever. Remember how much furor there was about Tangled and Frozen being just so sexist and racist. I mean, the hubbub happened way before anyone saw the movies, but who has to see those movies to see that they are offensive?

There's plenty of good identitarian critique, but especially with pop culture , there's a lot of nonsense.

One example I remember is some twit trying to call Lucas a racist because he chose an Hispanic man to play Jango Fett, a dangerous bounty hunter.

Never mind that he was played by Temuera Morrison, a Maori from New Zealand.

Also, when the Lord of the Rings: Two Towers was released and people were saying it was in bad taste :rolleyes:

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I think it's totally fair to point out that Gravity Falls has very few POC characters (although, y'know, rural Oregon) but god dammit I hate this trend of fixating on any negative traits a character might have as "problematic". Newsflash: if "representation" hinges on all characters being perfect role models, nothing good will ever meet your standards, because role models are loving boring to write and read about. Especially in the context of a zany cartoon about ghosts and pterodactyls and time machines.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As a proportion of total cast, I don't think it's that bad, and it's getting better. You definitely don't want to go by the real numbers--the USA is 72% white in total, with Oregon at 83%, and even higher in rural areas. That said, it's not unreasonable to assume you're going to have fewer black characters in Gravity Falls than you would in Sesame Street. Blubs, Candy, Tambry, Rich, Soos, recurring bouncer, Lolph, Reginald, and various background models represent more diversity than actual rural Oregon, but it would be nice to see it revised upwards or for those characters to get more attention. The demographics are also a little affected by the main three characters being related, and given that it's based on Hirsch and his family, very possibly Jewish.

If you look at not even totally rural Oregon, like Burns or Myrtle Creek, you're talking 92%+ white with the rest almost entirely native American and Hispanic. I don't know if we have any NA characters yet, do we? That one actually feels pretty conspicuous.

Pick fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 11, 2014

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Pick posted:

If you look at not even totally rural Oregon, like Burns or Myrtle Creek, you're talking 92%+ white with the rest almost entirely native American and Hispanic. I don't know if we have any NA characters yet, do we? That one actually feels pretty conspicuous.

When you're dealing with supernatural elements though that's a tricky line to walk. You can look like a real douchebag doing it wrong - Supernatural comes off really awkward to me when they basically do the "Native American burial ground" shtick in an episode.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

WrathOfBlade posted:

if "representation" hinges on all characters being perfect role models, nothing good will ever meet your standards, because role models are loving boring to write and read about.

I started watching Parks and Recreation the other day. When I first saw Tom (an Indian) acting like a vapid vainglorious pussyhound I actually felt kind of relieved. All the portrayals of Indians these days show them as socially inept sexually closeted workaholics who can't go two sentences without saying curry, Vishnu, and Bollywood in an exaggerated accent. Seeing him act like an asshat felt oddly progressive in a double-reverse sideways racist kind of way and he became one of my favorite characters.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MrSlam posted:

I started watching Parks and Recreation the other day. When I first saw Tom (an Indian) acting like a vapid vainglorious pussyhound I actually felt kind of relieved. All the portrayals of Indians these days show them as socially inept sexually closeted workaholics who can't go two sentences without saying curry, Vishnu, and Bollywood in an exaggerated accent. Seeing him act like an asshat felt oddly progressive in a double-reverse sideways racist kind of way and he became one of my favorite characters.

Treat yo'self.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The day that anyone will be allowed to be an rear end in a top hat, as long as they're well developped, is the day that we will know true equality.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 11, 2014

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Pick posted:

As a proportion of total cast, I don't think it's that bad, and it's getting better.

Also, not many of the characters have had their backgrounds delved into. The cast could be a lot more culturally and racially diverse than it appears at a glance. Until meeting Soos' Grandma (or figuring out Soos was short for Jesus) I'm not sure many people would have looked at him and thought "Oh, there's our show's Hispanic representation, right there."

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I kind of like that, that we didn't know until now that "Soos" was short for Jesus. It's representative of how many "ethnic" people don't really identify with their culture/ethnicity/whatever of origin, it's not a big deal.
Reminds me of this moment in LOST where somebody asks Miles if he can translate something Chinese, and he's like "Dude, I'm from LA".

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

The Red Queen posted:

When you're dealing with supernatural elements though that's a tricky line to walk. You can look like a real douchebag doing it wrong - Supernatural comes off really awkward to me when they basically do the "Native American burial ground" shtick in an episode.
That's easy, you just don't relate any supernatural elements to the fact that there are Native American characters. I don't think any of the characters so far are tied to any of the weird stuff through their ethnicity.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If you are counting on a cartoon cast of less than 20 characters to represent all your favorite ethnicities, cultures, non-bianary genders, and sexual orientations, I hope you are comfortable with disappointment.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I don't remember who posted it, but thanks for my new avatar!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Paul Robertson the pixel guy posted some more work from the episode including some cool extras
http://probertson.tumblr.com/

:pcgaming::ironicat: PEGGLE NIGHTS

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
That guy is a bit of a wierdo, but he can pixel up a screen real good.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I might point out that even though prob's art is pixel art that resembles anime at a glance, he actually does not use any anime conventions or have pixel art stiffness. Just scrolling through the animations you can see that there's a poo poo ton of squash and stretch and emoting through positioning facial features instead. There's not a single emoticon face or sweatdrops or even plus sign anger veins. giffany is more appealling and expressive than many western show's entire rosters, the guy is a one man artt studio or something.

(and of course the background arcade games would involve cute cats and poo :laugh:)

L33t_Kefka
Jul 16, 2000

My 1337 littl3 magic us3r, put 0n this cr0wn, bitch! H4W H4W! I 0wn j00!!!!
In this youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRUotcWpi9E what the heck is #10 from? I know it isn't from an episode, so it must be from a promo or short?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

L33t_Kefka posted:

In this youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRUotcWpi9E what the heck is #10 from? I know it isn't from an episode, so it must be from a promo or short?

one of the shorts, they're all on youtube and they're all good especially the tooth one

here is a compilation of all of them, the one you want is way at the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AHcqEGomvY

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Just Offscreen posted:

:nws: http://paulrobertson.mechafetus.com/data.gif :nws:

You don't say :stare:

Acne Rain posted:

does not use any anime conventions

Besides, dude seems to have a penchant in general for naked computer girls. I'm pretty sure that counts as an anime convention too

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 16, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

That's literally the tamest thing on his tumblr that's still NSFW. It doesn't have any gore, rape, insects, or even any swastikas.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

WickedHate posted:

That's literally the tamest thing on his tumblr that's still NSFW. It doesn't have any gore, rape, insects, or even any swastikas.

It's also like the tamest thing paul robertson has done that's not for Gravity Falls or Adventure Time.

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
I am taking my nephew trick or treating this year and he is going as Dipper. He was the one that got me into this show to start with. I decided to dress up as him as well. Just need to go buy the outfit. The shirt will be easy enough to find and the pants. The vest might be harder to come across although I could make them out of fabric I suppose. The shoes might be the only thing I cant replicate. I plan on making us each a journal. Found the hats on amazon, figured it was just easy to go ahead and buy them to search for something that would match in stores.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
A navy vest should be easy to find at KMart or something. I actually owned one before the series even started.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

icantfindaname posted:

:nws: http://paulrobertson.mechafetus.com/data.gif :nws:

You don't say :stare:

Besides, dude seems to have a penchant in general for naked computer girls. I'm pretty sure that counts as an anime convention too

Prob's art has some serious Akira/GitS wibe going on, among other things. For me, among his biggest inspiration sources seem to be 80s and early90s sci-fi/action anime and manga, not so much cute school girls doing cute things slice of life thing that seems to be the official anime definition these days.

(May be a bit :nws:)Kings of Power 4 Billion% was my introduction to Robertson's art.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Hello a friend just showed me that psycho dating sim girl episode, and now I have hopelessly fallen in love with this show. I love shows with tons of hidden subtext like the deal with Stan's glasses.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

pandaK posted:

Hello a friend just showed me that psycho dating sim girl episode, and now I have hopelessly fallen in love with this show. I love shows with tons of hidden subtext like the deal with Stan's glasses.

Welcome home.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
This episode felt like the writers were so enamored with the sheer concepts of the episodes (an extended Manos riff, getting Neil Degrasse Tyson as a guest star, getting to do claymation) that they didn't do enough to make the vignettes good on their own aside from the usual great one-liners and background gags.

That's not anime style, there aren't nearly enough panty shots and they actually have noses.

Scrub Lover posted:

at least dipper and mabel aren't making out in this, like in all the other poo poo made by this guy

The one grimdark one he did where Mabel is an amnesiac serial killer and Dipper's book is empty was hilarious, albeit completely unintentionally.

Just Offscreen posted:

His work on Gravity Falls is pretty good because he actually has to apply himself instead of slapping a bunch of bleeding vaginas on a bunch of retro gaming references and calling it a day.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
All I know of Paul Robertson's work is his occasional tv thing and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqV0aJIK2Fk
which is great and frankly I'm just fine with not knowing about whatever other weird poo poo he does

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Pendergast posted:

I am taking my nephew trick or treating this year and he is going as Dipper. He was the one that got me into this show to start with. I decided to dress up as him as well. Just need to go buy the outfit. The shirt will be easy enough to find and the pants. The vest might be harder to come across although I could make them out of fabric I suppose. The shoes might be the only thing I cant replicate. I plan on making us each a journal. Found the hats on amazon, figured it was just easy to go ahead and buy them to search for something that would match in stores.

I'm also dressing up as Dipper. I figure that black Chuck Taylors are a fine substitute for the shoe and I went to thrift stores until I found a blue vest.

I got the hat from We Love Fine because they sell licensed ones and I wanted to support the show after not paying for any episodes.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Cloks posted:

I'm also dressing up as Dipper. I figure that black Chuck Taylors are a fine substitute for the shoe and I went to thrift stores until I found a blue vest.

I got the hat from We Love Fine because they sell licensed ones and I wanted to support the show after not paying for any episodes.

Thanks for posting that, as I was also in the market for the hat (because I may or may not be Dipper for Halloween myself).

And I definitely agree on the Chucks, I was planning on doing the same thing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

proof of concept posted:

All I know of Paul Robertson's work is his occasional tv thing and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqV0aJIK2Fk
which is great and frankly I'm just fine with not knowing about whatever other weird poo poo he does

Oh hey, I recognize this style! He's also the guy who did the Scott Pilgim Video Game.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
And his other pixel short:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZy5S-jUIlw

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

No anime here. Nope. No siree

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
sheesh I never said he was anime free, I just said he didn't adhere to conventions when it came to how his characters move and emote. Of COURSE when the episode is about a dating simulator or if the short's some kind of video game... parody... thing it's going to have a lot of Japan on it because who makes video games and dating sims???

I'm not animation expert anyway and I have not, in fact, watched a poo poo ton of anime, so who knows. I just think giffany's facial expressions and foreshortening and all that have a bit of subtlety that is totally lacking in Japanese animation even when she's screaming at the scream or whatever. I mean, see just about any "anime-inspired" western show like teen titans or avatar or something, where faces constantly change line-weight and detail level in order to over react by turning their faces into symbols.

I was pretty explicit about what I was talking about. I said no sweatdrops or plus-sign anger veins. Eyes looking like "> <" when shut in anger is NOT an anime convention, I remember plenty of newspaper strips and the like doing that and they're drawn like her actual eyes closed and squinting and not stickers or emoticons. Maybe it's part of the anime parody thing but it's not slavishly adhering to it.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

Oh hey, I recognize this style! He's also the guy who did the Scott Pilgim Video Game.

He also worked on Scribblenauts. He's carved a pretty good niche for himself.

• Locked thread