Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

40 degrees for rapid tradewinds, pick up slaves in west africa, offload on plantations in the carribean, pick up rum, take it to the colonies, sell rum for cotton or wood and then head back east.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

He's talking about merchant ships going around the world the long way for some reason. I'm pretty sure there were ships going from London to New York you could get on if you wanted to

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I think he's talking about the age of sail. The jet stream made it really easy to move goods and slaves across the Atlantic in that classic triangular pattern. Don't know whether he's right or wrong, but I think that's what he's claiming.

Edit: so yeah, London to NYC was probably possible, but more difficult and thus expensive.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

London to NYC would indeed sail to Africa first in the age of sail. It's not just a matter of convenience, the prevailing winds and currents of the North Atlantic both pushed East. A square rigged ship won't sail within 40 degrees of the wind* and that leaves you tacking across the North Atlantic for several weeks. Tacking ship requires manpower to swing yards and haul on sheets, doing it for weeks on end every couple hours day and night is physically exhausting for the crew and generally a lot more trouble than it's worth. Sailing for the more westerly winds near the equator saved time effort and money.

Many passages from Europe to India and back would stop at Brazil for food and water believe it or not. It was just easier to get to than theoretically closer locations. Currents and prevailing winds were a really big deal before steamers.

*and you'd be lucky to get a square rigged merchantman within 50 degrees of the wind. A fast ship with a fore and aft rig like a mail carrier might make the direct run regularly but not anything designed for bulk cargo.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 8, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's pretty easy to get to Europe from the US even if you're going based on currents:

Note that the North Atlantic currents follow a clockwise fashion.

This is also why Columbus ended up in the Caribbean first.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You are catching yourself on my point there. They would sail from europe to america by way of north africa.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
I think they often kinda just floated on the currents because there wasn't actually that much wind. That's what a slavery doc told me anyway - life in the hull was extra horrible because there was no wind/ventilation and the journey took forever.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I think he's talking about the age of sail. The jet stream made it really easy to move goods and slaves across the Atlantic in that classic triangular pattern. Don't know whether he's right or wrong, but I think that's what he's claiming.

Edit: so yeah, London to NYC was probably possible, but more difficult and thus expensive.

Asian ports? Pacific islands? Sounds like someone's going the long way 'round.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

bewbies posted:

Hunters would kill tens of thousands a day, millions over a season. Most of the hunting was localized in their nesting areas.

How is this even possible? Loading and firing that many rounds a day seems like a tall order without a machine gun, let alone actually hitting that many targets. Was it some sort of comedy option, like hunters climbing trees and dropping a giant net over a nest?

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How is this even possible? Loading and firing that many rounds a day seems like a tall order without a machine gun, let alone actually hitting that many targets. Was it some sort of comedy option, like hunters climbing trees and dropping a giant net over a nest?

An engraving of Passenger Pigeon hunting in the 1870's.

1. Load your shotgun.

2. Point it at the flock of birds flying through the sky in numbers so dense they reportedly would blot out the sun

3. Fire your shotgun, maybe get the bird or just continue to step 4 and get them later.

4. Repeat

I imagine each individual pellet hits an individual bird.

Anyone who knows more can feel free to chime in but Bill Cronon has a whole lecture on mass killing of the passenger pigeon and the buffalo you can probably scrounge up on his site (https://www.williamcronon.net), probably under his American Environmental History course materials.

edit: oh yeah and you could hunt passenger pigeons with nets:

"wikipedia posted:

Nets were propped up to allow passenger pigeons entry, then closed by knocking loose the stick that supported the opening, trapping twenty or more pigeons inside. Tunnel nets were also used to great effect, and one particularly large net was capable of catching 3,500 pigeons at a time. These nets were used by many farmers on their own property as well as by professional trappers.

[another] method of capture was to hunt at a nesting colony, particularly during the period of a few days after the adult pigeons abandoned their nestlings but before the nestlings could fly.

Some hunters used sticks to poke the nestlings out of the nest, while others shot the bottom of a nest with a blunt arrow to dislodge the pigeon.

Others cut down a nesting tree in such a way that when it fell, it would also hit a second nesting tree and dislodge the pigeons within.

Still another way was to simply set a nesting tree on fire , cooking the doves or collecting them as they tried to escape.

Ivan Prisypkin fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 8, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anosmoman posted:

I think they often kinda just floated on the currents because there wasn't actually that much wind. That's what a slavery doc told me anyway - life in the hull was extra horrible because there was no wind/ventilation and the journey took forever.

I assume this is a joke because we only have a map of currents? Here.

You can see how you'd end up in Brazil to go around Africa, since you wouldn't want to risk running into southerly winds on your trip south. You can take the coast of Brazil down to the 40s and ride the westerly to the Indian monsoon which will take you just about anywhere you might want to go except Antarctica or Australia. That map doesn't show that the southern hemisphere 40s are much stronger than the northern hemisphere because there's no land to break up the wind.

I think Australia's problem is not so much the wind as a lack of obvious destinations for its raw materials. Australia has nothing that India doesn't also have and it's farther away. In the age of sail China is a market for finished goods not an importer of raw materials.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 9, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Like was said, it was just "point gun at flock, pull trigger" only it wasn't necessarily shotguns as we think of them today. Sometimes it was scatter guns, which were comparable to shotguns but had a wider spread and puked more poo poo in the air. Generally people that wanted to eat some pigeons would just grab whatever scatter gun they had handy, blast away at the flock for a while, take the fattest pigeons home, and leave the rest for the dogs. That's ultimately why they went extinct. People thought they were literally inexhaustible and would kill a dozen or more for every one they actually ate.

To get an idea of how loving massive the scatter guns used to hunt birds were take a look at pictures of punt guns. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punt_gun These weren't used to hunt passenger pigeons but they were used to hunt ducks and whatnot. They were too huge to actually fire standing so they were put on small boats, rowed out onto the pond, and then fired into a bunch of birds hanging out at the surface. It will kill them by the dozens.

This sort of thing would be used to totally empty entire ponds or lakes of waterfowl. Certain species were totally wiped out in some areas. It hit its peak in the early 20th century when wearing feathers was fashionable. People would just kind of hunt the gently caress out of birds, pluck the feathers, eat a few for dinner, then just chuck the rest because gently caress it, who cares, there's always more birds.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I find it interesting how very little people are defending the premise of Columbus Day on social media. (And those defending Columbus aren't really doing so; it's just culture war posturing.)

Virtually every online publication has put out its "Columbus is actually a bad guy" piece; yet I don't see any consideration on the federal level to rethink the holiday.

I just find it strange; there's new but overwhelming consensus that Columbus shouldn't be celebrated like Washington, Lincoln, or King; but very little "debate" where it matters.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Echo Chamber posted:

I find it interesting how very little people are defending the premise of Columbus Day on social media. (And those defending Columbus aren't really doing so; it's just culture war posturing.)

Virtually every online publication has put out its "Columbus is actually a bad guy" piece; yet I don't see any consideration on the federal level to rethink the holiday.

I just find it strange; there's new but overwhelming consensus that Columbus shouldn't be celebrated like Washington, Lincoln, or King; but very little "debate" where it matters.

Columbus was a horrific excuse for a human being, but it is tradition to celebrate it. Never underestimate the "that is just how it has always been" argument.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

I had one friend who said it's really about celebrating Italian Americans, and if Native Americans want a holiday they should get their own. When I brought up the millions of dead, he posted a quote saying basically "progress has costs."

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

I assume this is a joke because we only have a map of currents? Here.

Heh no that's what I heard :/ From looking around a bit it seems the journey from Africa to the Americas could take from one to six months in the early days of the slave trade depending on weather conditions with the norm being 2-3 months. Six months probably qualifies as riding the currents albeit it's not the typical journey.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Is it safe to say Alexander Hamilton was the best politician America ever had?

http://www.sparknotes.com/biography/hamilton/section1.rhtml

Born a poor immigrant, led riots in NYC when he was 17, ended up the first President of the Treasury, started an anti-slavery organization.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Columbus may have been a horrible individual, by god I am not going to give up an extra holiday and day off just because the person the holiday is named after was personally not that great by modern standards.

In historychat, anyone have an opinion on Lysander Spooner/wanna get into some Spoonerchat?

made of bees
May 21, 2013
No need to get rid of it, just change it to 'day of mourning for the horrific (ongoing) genocide our nation owes its existence to' and move on.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't even get the day off so I'm kinda neutral about it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

computer parts posted:

I don't even get the day off so I'm kinda neutral about it.

I don't get the day off and there was a parade that messed up my attempt to drop off a rental car today so if I get a time machine, Columbus, In 1492 I'm Coming For You.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Columbus may have been a horrible individual, by god I am not going to give up an extra holiday and day off just because the person the holiday is named after was personally not that great by modern standards.

In historychat, anyone have an opinion on Lysander Spooner/wanna get into some Spoonerchat?

He was an rear end in a top hat for the time.

That is the magic of Christopher.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CharlestheHammer posted:

He was an rear end in a top hat for the time.

That is the magic of Christopher.

:v: I thought you were talking about Spooner at first.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Just change the name to Canadian Thanksgiving.

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

A-Ham is alright, but I'd still pick Robert Reich. Both for serious reasons, and because of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWliylnxSrA

His son Sam is also hilarious; if you're a fan of CollegeHumor original videos you'll know who he is.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 14, 2014

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

I had one friend who said it's really about celebrating Italian Americans

Rename it Mafia Day.

Can anyone recommend a book or books on Columbus, the Age of Exploration in general, and early exploration/colonisation in the Americas? I'm particularly interested in why it began and what effect it had on Europe. Or didn't; Cabot sailed in 1497, but the English didn't pay that much attention to Canada/New England until Elizabeth's reign, and I'm not sure why.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

House Louse posted:

Can anyone recommend a book or books on Columbus, the Age of Exploration in general, and early exploration/colonisation in the Americas? I'm particularly interested in why it began and what effect it had on Europe. Or didn't; Cabot sailed in 1497, but the English didn't pay that much attention to Canada/New England until Elizabeth's reign, and I'm not sure why.
Mann's 1493, the followup to his (excellent) 1491?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

There was contact up and down the coast, but I imagine the lack of interest comes from just how hostile the locals were to whitey setting up shop. Unless you're going to embark on a big state enterprise, it's not something that's just going to take off, and England had plenty of it's own problems. Once the 1600's start to roll around and everyone there has died, extracting surplus wealth is probably a lot more attractive.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

He wasn't that great even by the standards of the time he was living in: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus#Accusations_of_tyranny_during_governorship

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

House Louse posted:

Rename it Mafia Day.

Northern winters were harsh and Spain was more of a problem back home.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

House Louse posted:

Rename it Mafia Day.

The Columbian Exchange by Alfred W. Crosby Jr.
1491 by Charles Mann
1493 by Charles Mann

In the case of the English, English privateers captured a Spanish treasure ship and ended up with England's GDP in gold. After that, the English wanted a piece of the action.

PittTheElder posted:

There was contact up and down the coast, but I imagine the lack of interest comes from just how hostile the locals were to whitey setting up shop. Unless you're going to embark on a big state enterprise, it's not something that's just going to take off, and England had plenty of it's own problems. Once the 1600's start to roll around and everyone there has died, extracting surplus wealth is probably a lot more attractive.

There were a good deal of Native American tribes in the Northeast, especially in New England. The English colonists fought about 5 major wars in the seventeenth century and that's not including massacres and other incidences.

EDIT: Tribes like the Pequot were somewhat receptive as well to English settlement because they used it and the fur trade to become a regional power. It would all come crashing down on them but they used the power vacuum caused by the initial outbreak of disease to their advantage.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 14, 2014

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Alhazred posted:

He wasn't that great even by the standards of the time he was living in: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus#Accusations_of_tyranny_during_governorship

And by not great you mean a homicidal tyrant even by 1500 standards.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Amused to Death posted:

And by not great you mean a homicidal tyrant even by 1500 standards.
I think people tends to overestimate how bad the standards were back then. Slavery were banned (to her credit queen Isabella disliked slavery intensely and not only banned slavery in the new world but also freed and returned every slave that entered Spain) and racism wasn't really thing yet. Not that things were great though (Isabella also started the inquisition mainly to find and kill Jews and Muslims).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

There were a good deal of Native American tribes in the Northeast, especially in New England. The English colonists fought about 5 major wars in the seventeenth century and that's not including massacres and other incidences.

EDIT: Tribes like the Pequot were somewhat receptive as well to English settlement because they used it and the fur trade to become a regional power. It would all come crashing down on them but they used the power vacuum caused by the initial outbreak of disease to their advantage.

There were, but there was a lot less of them then there had been.

Which is all covered in 1491, which I'll recommend as well. Haven't read 1493 though. One thing to watch out for is to not confused those two with 1421 by Gavin Menzies, which is just a load of poo poo.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

http://www.sparknotes.com/biography/hamilton/section1.rhtml

Born a poor immigrant, led riots in NYC when he was 17, ended up the first President of the Treasury, started an anti-slavery organization.

You might be interested in this article:

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/08/reading-hamilton-from-the-left/

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

There were, but there was a lot less of them then there had been.

Which is all covered in 1491, which I'll recommend as well. Haven't read 1493 though. One thing to watch out for is to not confused those two with 1421 by Gavin Menzies, which is just a load of poo poo.

True, I was just a bit confused by your original wording.

Never read anything by Gavin Menzies, he's pretty much one of the people they have on Ancient Aliens. He just got away with it for a while because most people in the US don't know anything about Chinese history.

EDIT: Has anyone ever pointed out that your avatar picture is of Lord Palmerston?

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 14, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

EDIT: Has anyone ever pointed out that your avatar picture is of Lord Palmerston?

:thejoke:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks for the answers, everyone.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've watched the documentaries on Robert McNamara and Donald Rumsfeld, and I wanted to ask what the dominant viewpoint is on Colin Powell. He wasn't Secretary of Defense, but IIRC he was a General, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs during Desert Storm and became Secretary of State under Bush.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've watched the documentaries on Robert McNamara and Donald Rumsfeld, and I wanted to ask what the dominant viewpoint is on Colin Powell. He wasn't Secretary of Defense, but IIRC he was a General, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs during Desert Storm and became Secretary of State under Bush.

Seconding this request.

I've never had an informed conversation about him, but it did always seem weird that he seemed so willing to carry water for the administration, while coming off as professional and apolitical. Like Secretary Rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KORNOLOGY posted:

Seconding this request.
Hubub around the 2004 election (and his refusal to reup) was that the was cajoled into joining Team Dubya because he really believed that as a member of the military he should remain apolitical. After the Iraqi Boogaloo, he felt as though the administration was pushing dogmatic policy and disliked that his reputation had been tarnished as a result of involvement.

At least, that's the version I remember being bandied about.

• Locked thread