Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Stop.

I'm pretty lenient about derails but this isn't a good thread to talk about actual war crimes.

Yeah, sorry about the post that led to this...

\/\/\/\/\/\/EDIT: Noted.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Trundel posted:

Wait a sec, orders due Wednesday night? As in tonight or next Wednesday?

As in Saturday.

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, sorry about the post that led to this...

Relax, I don't care. It's a perfectly fine conversation to have, this is just the wrong thread for it. Space politics only! :shobon:

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

PoptartsNinja posted:

All `Mech machineguns are .50 cal. Because nothing tells infantry "Body armor? Hahaha, nope!" quite the same way.

To quote a retired military friend of mine.

.50 cal's, not available in shoot to wound

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Great Beer posted:

For some reason I failed to notice that the blackjack had 20 machine guns, not 2. Good lord. :stare:

Isn't an all-machine-gun loadout game-breakingly powerful in some of the Mechwarrior games?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

mercenarynuker posted:

50 tons actually seemed really goddamn heavy for a fighter plane to me. So I looked it up, and evidently the F-35 has a maximum takeoff weight of 30 tons, so I guess it's not so far-fetched for a future- space- atmo-fighter to weigh 50 tons.

Of course Aerospace Fighters can go up to 100 tons and function just fine in atmo. Sooooo yeah. Breaking news! Battletech revealed to not be consistent with reality! We report live tonight at 10 with ace reporter, Bethany Cochraine!

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Decoy Badger posted:

Isn't an all-machine-gun loadout game-breakingly powerful in some of the Mechwarrior games?

I think it was in Mechwarrior 3, but I never played that one so I couldn't say for sure.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

apostateCourier posted:

Physical Combat Phase:
Awful, awful human being (Player)
- Kicks liquor store 1544: adjacent attacks always hit (0/10 structure remaining)! Building destroyed!

On the other hand, for the not actual war crimes that must be addressed in this update: apostateCourier, you monster!

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

All `Mech machineguns are .50 cal. Because nothing tells infantry "Body armor? Hahaha, nope!" quite the same way.

There's a reason the Draconis Combine gives body armor to their police but not to their front-line infantry.

Actually some mech machineguns are 20mm, which is even huger than .50 cal.

Also, the Draconis Combine gives their infantry body armor! Their fatigues are armored enough to maybe stop pistol rounds and the occasional bit of shrapnel.

Compare to WoB, ComStar, or Clan infantry kit which makes you very, very hard to kill. A WoB combat cyborg unit with dermal myomer implants and WoB armor kit could have tanked that Blackjack's attack and stayed in the field, even though they'd have taken losses.

They ignore the 'in-open' doubling of damage, reduce burst fire attack damage by -1d6 (So that machine gun would have been doing 1d6 instead of 2d6x2 against infantry) and then divide all incoming damage by 3 (this is errata-before they would have divided damage by 2 and taken 2 damage to kill each). This would have meant that the 2 MG bursts that killed that platoon of 30 regular dudes would have killed... something like two dudes. Firing an AC/20 into their hex without using dedicated anti-infantry weapons would barely kill one guy.

Also, a WoB Zombie unit (that's what their infantry combat cyborgs call themselves) will use, as their standard armament, a 300 kilogram Heavy Support Laser, which gives them a 15-hex range and the ability for a 36-man platoon to deal something like 40 damage in a single turn against a target. And because they're infantry they don't suffer movement penalties to attack.

The vast majority of infantry are very weak chaff that gets trivially murdered. But then someone brings out the elite units and people get wrecked. Similarly, a couple of DEST commandos with anti-mech training in an urban environment can be pretty nightmarish. They get on you and you get dead very quick.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Telamon posted:

On the other hand, for the not actual war crimes that must be addressed in this update: apostateCourier, you monster!

I'm surprised the vehicle flamer didn't cause the place to explode and take out half of the area.

That's how alcohol stores work and explode in Mechwarrior right? With the amount of alcohol they have per drink just lighting a match near those things should blow a hole the size of a football stadium in the planet.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I'm surprised the vehicle flamer didn't cause the place to explode and take out half of the area.

That's how alcohol stores work and explode in Mechwarrior right? With the amount of alcohol they have per drink just lighting a match near those things should blow a hole the size of a football stadium in the planet.

This is assuming that what passes for liquor on Tortuga is in fact alcohol of some sort. It might just be `mech coolant or unfiltered water that is poison enough to mess you up but not kill you.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

mercenarynuker posted:

50 tons actually seemed really goddamn heavy for a fighter plane to me. So I looked it up, and evidently the F-35 has a maximum takeoff weight of 30 tons, so I guess it's not so far-fetched for a future- space- atmo-fighter to weigh 50 tons.

You can probably get a shitload of thrust if your plane has a miniature star inside it instead of an ICE.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Telamon posted:

Pfft, it's just Tortuga-booze. Bathtub gin looks good in comparison.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm telling myself that my character is so focused on murdering people because he runs a for-profit orphanage on the side. What, exactly, a space pirate does to turn a profit off a bunch of dispossessed children I will leave up to the imagination of the reader, because typing it out would probably put me on a watchlist!

EDIT: ahaha what am I on

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 16, 2014

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Preaching to children to make them prophets is now a crime? Truly, Obama's America is a dark, dark place.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Telamon posted:

Hey, lots of people knock over liquor stores!

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Voyager I posted:

I'm telling myself that my character is so focused on murdering people because...

Hopefully your character is going to be focused on munition conservation in the future.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm considering jumping to 1742, using my lasers to knock down the building in 1741 so the infantry can't hide behind it (when terrain splits line of sight like that, it is the defender's choice whether or not it blocks, and I'm going to assume an exposed infantry platoon does not want to have a shootout with 20 machine guns), and then opening up another can of warcrimes.

It should be 9s for both of us.

Teledahn posted:

Hopefully your character is going to be focused on munition conservation in the future.

I have 15 turns worth of ammunition in a fragile mech that requires fairly narrow conditions before it can even consider bringing its armament to bear. I'm really not worried about outliving my ammunition. I can be more conservative once I get under the 200 mark or so, and at this point having less bins of incredibly volatile ammunition inside of me is probably good for my health.

On that note, where does my mech keep its ammo bins? Let me also state that I'm drawing ammo from single bins to drain them out as fast as possible since even a half-full bin will gib me.

EDIT: the way my mech works vs the way infantry works means it's generally to my advantage to put us in situations where we both have fairly bad to-hit modifiers and then compensate by shooting everything. My huge pile of guns is resolved as individual attacks, so as long as I don't go over 10+ I will generally land enough hits to wipe out an infantry platoon through sheer volume of fire and the the law of large numbers making it less likely for me to get screwed by single bad rolls. Infantry does damage in a lot of small clusters, but still rolls to hit collectively as a unit (presumably because nobody wants to roll a dozen sets of dice for a loving infantry platoon with a double-digit BV cost), so a 9 or 10 to-hit means it probably won't do anything at all to me while I can still wipe it out just by spending some extra ammunition, of which I have a whole lot. Full-strength Infantry platoons are also going to do something like 17 damage on a successful hit; it's not very dangerous by itself because that damage gets spread across the whole mech, but I don't have enough armor to take unnecessary damage.

EDIT EDIT: :spergin:

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 16, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That's just life for a mech with ammo. MG ammo may be twice the bomb per ton of other ammo but there still aren't a lot of mechs that can survive a full ton of ammo cooking off.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I've got these lovely long arms to reach out and hug everyone but there's so many buildings! I just want to be friends, little Firestarter!

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Physical Combat Phase:
Charger (Player)
- Kicks liquor store 1544: adjacent attacks always hit (0/10 structure remaining)! Building destroyed!

Well, I heard of people knocking over a liquor store before, but not /literally/...

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Well, you just torched a liquor store. I guess this mission now officially counts as a riot.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Tran posted:

Well, you just torched a liquor store. I guess this mission now officially counts as a riot.

Just getting in the mood for some proper violence! Gotta get the old murder engine good and fired up.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I love how this scenario just gets everyone into the proper mindset right off the bat.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
I'm just picturing the Blackjack standing ankle-deep in a pile of empty shell casings while the echoes slowly fade away.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

PhotoKirk posted:

I'm just picturing the Blackjack standing ankle-deep in a pile of empty shell casings while the echoes slowly fade away.

"THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION."

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

"THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION."
"209 hasn't even used its rockets yet, it's very measured response."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyPN2Nsw30k

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I have a question, since I can't get a LoS on any enemy unit this turn (unless I missed something). I'd like to know wether buildings do indeed count as valid targets for ADHS targeting, OR would I have to shoot blues to fulfill the condition? :yarr: Not that I would do such a thing. Trust me, I'm here to help.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I have a question, since I can't get a LoS on any enemy unit this turn (unless I missed something). I'd like to know wether buildings do indeed count as valid targets for ADHS targeting, OR would I have to shoot blues to fulfill the condition? :yarr: Not that I would do such a thing. Trust me, I'm here to help.

I thought that your goal meant you weren't supposed to shoot the same target twice in a row, not that you have to shoot something different every turn.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

fool_of_sound posted:

I thought that your goal meant you weren't supposed to shoot the same target twice in a row, not that you have to shoot something different every turn.

This. If you have two targets, shooting the one you didn't shoot the turn before is your objective. If you only have one valid target, this doesn't apply.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Do buildings count as valid targets? Or do I not have to destroy all of them liquor stores? Did they have more than one liquor store? Or is Grandma's Groceries Store next?

EDIT
Actual joke question: "Does PTN want me to turn upon my fellow mechWARRIORS!?"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think buildings are actually threatening, unless the infantry are hiding in them.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

I don't think buildings are actually threatening, unless the infantry are hiding in them.

I like to think that I'm discouraging that tactic.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Truly, you are doing God's work.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Actual joke question: "Does PTN want me to turn upon my fellow mechWARRIORS!?"

Actual serious response: No.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

It would be inadvisable anyway, treason gets you a one way piledriver ticket to Painville, population: your face.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
If you havn't got any good targets this round. Look at the map, figure out which buildings would be smart to knock down. Cooperate with your snipers to create good firing lanes.

(Also .. maybe don't destroy too many buildings. There could be consequences for that, like the population rising up against you instead of kinda sorta harassing you.)

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Affi posted:

If you havn't got any good targets this round. Look at the map, figure out which buildings would be smart to knock down. Cooperate with your snipers to create good firing lanes.

(Also .. maybe don't destroy too many buildings. There could be consequences for that, like the population rising up against you instead of kinda sorta harassing you.)

BREAK EVERYTHING

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Affi posted:

Also .. maybe don't destroy too many buildings.

look at this wrong post from a wrong person with wrong opinions

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Frankly a little war crimes urban renewal will clean the place up nicely for its new pirate overlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Psion posted:

look at this wrong post from a wrong person with wrong opinions

its me

i'm the wrong opinion guy

goddamn

• Locked thread