Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not, considering the percentage of households that have cable/sat "just because," it was probably going to lose them money to offer it as a stand alone until recently. And look at the blowback the WWE Network got from all the PPVs and consider what the reaction from the carriers will be when people don't have to pay them whatever it is for HBO now.

AT&T is already doing a bundle where you can get HBO GO with your internet service instead of cable. I wouldn't be surprised if that gets expanded to other providers.

https://www.att.com/shop/tv/hbo-offers.html?source=ECSFU90000000000L&wtExtndSource=amazontile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

oldpainless posted:

The fact of the matter is that the Network wouldn't be having financial difficulties if it was worth the 9.99 a month. If its a good product at a good value, people buy it. If its not, they wont. Thats how the great chain works.

This isn't neccessarily true, the product could be the greatest value in the world and if the fanbase isn't there for it, or isn't willing or able to use streaming technology due to poor internet/mistrust of technology, it would still be doing badly.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Blasmeister posted:

This isn't neccessarily true, the product could be the greatest value in the world and if the fanbase isn't there for it, or isn't willing or able to use streaming technology due to poor internet/mistrust of technology, it would still be doing badly.

While not the live stream, I've watched archived content on the network on my parents' crappy sub 5 megabit DSL. They're also Netflix subscribers and have no problem taking advantage of the service. They don't get HD content but they really don't give a gently caress.

You really don't need good internet service to watch streaming content.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
As we've gone over many times, the Network absolutely is great value, even just based on PPVs alone and despite its many flaws. Unfortunately for WWE, simply repeating "$9.99!" over and over does not seem to drive that fact into most peoples' heads. What they need, more than anything, is a different marketing strategy.

Personally, I think they should ditch the constant recaps of what happened 15 minutes ago and instead run short clips from archive/Network-exclusive videos, to give your average Raw & Smackdown viewer an idea of what they're missing, highlighting the cheap PPVs on top. Of course you cherry-pick what you show and don't bother going over the more inane rubbish, but you get the idea across to people that the Network is more than just a stupid catchphrase. Having the commentary team list off what's on there, as they do now, isn't going to be half as effective as actually showing some clips.

Thauros posted:

There are still large portions of most first-world countries which are on dial-up or where single-figure broadband is the best they can get. Even 5mb DSL is faster than what a lot of people get. This has been a big problem in video games, where publishers wish to move to a digital-only platform to better control the market, but the infrastructure to support such a thing simply does not exist.

pressedbunny fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 15, 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

oldpainless posted:

The fact of the matter is that the Network wouldn't be having financial difficulties if it was worth the 9.99 a month. If its a good product at a good value, people buy it. If its not, they wont. Thats how the great chain works.

:lol:

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.
The network is only a great value if you enjoy the current product.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Lex Luger comes off as a kindly old grandfather on the Monday Night War episodes. I just want to hear him tell me stories all day.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

pressedbunny posted:

Personally, I think they should ditch the constant recaps of what happened 15 minutes ago and instead run short clips from archive/Network-exclusive videos, to give your average Raw & Smackdown viewer an idea of what they're missing, highlighting the cheap PPVs on top. Of course you cherry-pick what you show and don't bother going over the more inane rubbish, but you get the idea across to people that the Network is more than just a stupid catchphrase. Having the commentary team list off what's on there, as they do now, isn't going to be half as effective as actually showing some clips.

That would be a good idea if the people in charge thought that the VOD section was a major draw (they don't)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

cunny mcalister posted:

The network is only a great value if you enjoy the current product.

This service where 90% of it is things from the past is only good if you enjoy what they are doing right now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheJoker138 posted:

This service where 90% of it is things from the past is only good if you enjoy what they are doing right now.

A truth many businesses that put out new content but have huge archives of back content quickly learn.

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.

TheJoker138 posted:

The stuff they have is some of the easiest stuff to find without paying $9.99 a month. They aren't giving us $9.99 a month worth of the past.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

cunny mcalister posted:

The stuff they have is some of the easiest stuff to find without paying $9.99 a month. They aren't giving us $9.99 a month worth of the past.

And for the most part, it's shattershot. Raw uploads stopped in 1995 with only a few Attitude era episodes up. A handful of classic Smackdown. 1993-1995 of ECW Hardcore TV. 1995-1996 Nitro. Seemingly random episodes of WCCW.

Having all the PPVs is cool but they lose their luster without the TV build.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Having all the PPVs is cool but they lose their luster without the TV build.
Basically this. And the inconsistent rate they're added.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They recently started putting '95 RAWs back up again. I wonder if the stoppage in old content for like a month or so has anything to do with the reported management change in the Network.

Oh, they also fixed the numbering on the Nitros, haha.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

It's time-consuming enough to watch the new content, let alone dig through their horribly-designed UI to find old stuff that you hope is good. Most wrestling shows age like milk, too. Then you get into the problem that most of their specially-produced content feels like infommercials, aside from a very small number of high-effort documentaries. And now they are playing commercials on a paid service. So if you don't enjoy the current product (and as ever there's a lot there to not enjoy), there's not actually much there.

For me, jumping the gun on a Brock/Cena rematch had a lot to do with why I dropped the service. That and the WWE roundtables generally turn out to be largely uninformative because no one can stop interrupting anyone else.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

pressedbunny posted:

As we've gone over many times, the Network absolutely is great value, even just based on PPVs alone and despite its many flaws. Unfortunately for WWE, simply repeating "$9.99!" over and over does not seem to drive that fact into most peoples' heads. What they need, more than anything, is a different marketing strategy.

It's only a value for the PPVs if you feel the monthly PPV is worth more than $10. I know people point to the fact that they were $40 or more. But that just means they were ridiculously overpriced.

I do agree with you on the marketing strategy. Not sure what screaming $9.99 over and over really does.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
One of the newly posted 95 Raws features an awesome segment where 1-2-3 Kid and Savio Vega play Pogs.

Also Summerslam is sponsored by Stridex and the show ends with Michael Hayes furiously scrubbing his face with acne pads.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 16, 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

pressedbunny posted:

Why stop at one pop-punk song? Why not make an entire promotional album?

Niwrad posted:

It's only a value for the PPVs if you feel the monthly PPV is worth more than $10. I know people point to the fact that they were $40 or more. But that just means they were ridiculously overpriced.
This, basically. The grocery store had an excellent sale on oranges last weekend but I still didnt buy any because oranges are bad

oatgan fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 16, 2014

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
They should just have JR do live reads of all the ads, nobody would have an issue with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBAXWZ6vLRc

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I think some people are thinking that whether or not their opinion of the Network's value is the absolute truth. I personally think it's a great value, if only for the monthly shows and the back catalog of PPVs. The Network as it is right now is 9 year old me's wet dream. That said, if someone else disagrees, while I don't get it or agree, it's their prerogative, and their 9.99.

TL: proudly stating the profoundly obvious since 2006.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I haven't had cable for three years now. It's a terrible waste of money and it's off topic but I hope cable companies die out because the world is leaving that system behind. A cable package with anything you might want to actually watch is still like 90 or more a month. I'm never going to pay more for loving television than I do health care. Can't wait to finally get HBO. Hopefully Showtime will do something similar so I can sign up to watch season 3 of Twin Peaks, because I want to actually pay money to watch Twin Peaks and not pirate it because I don't have loving cable.

The WWE Network is great and I'll probably never actually drop it because I watch a shitload of wrestling, and it's all on the internet. If I had to pay to watch Original Bonski's dailymotion account I'd probably do that too, drat.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

TL posted:

I think some people are thinking that whether or not their opinion of the Network's value is the absolute truth. I personally think it's a great value, if only for the monthly shows and the back catalog of PPVs. The Network as it is right now is 9 year old me's wet dream. That said, if someone else disagrees, while I don't get it or agree, it's their prerogative, and their 9.99.

I'd throw down $60 for six months of the network without even blinking if I could. Being able to come home from work and toss on an old PPV as background noise as a nostalgia trip is easily worth ten bucks a month to me. I might not always resub exactly at the six month mark, but they'd reliably get at least 6-8 months a year out of me, especially if they fleshed out the RAW/Smackdown/Nitro/Thunder catalogue. The current PPVs I don't particularly care about. They could strip the new PPVs out and I'd still pay ten bucks for it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TL posted:

TL: proudly stating the profoundly obvious since 2006.

Just imagine that there's a IMO in front of every post.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I actually find the Benoit disclaimer and rating videos more annoying than any ad, because it's the same poo poo for 10 seconds every time I watch a video.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I love how on the new MNW everything they criticize WCW for WWE is doing right now.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

RBX posted:

I love how on the new MNW everything they criticize WCW for WWE is doing right now.

If you don't learn from history, you are doomed to john cena.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Thauros posted:

While not the live stream, I've watched archived content on the network on my parents' crappy sub 5 megabit DSL. They're also Netflix subscribers and have no problem taking advantage of the service. They don't get HD content but they really don't give a gently caress.

I've heard complaints from people with slow internet that the network doesn't offer any choices in stream quality, so you can't stop it from buffering like mad, which is a big issue for livewatching ppvs etc.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

RBX posted:

THere is one line in particular that Bryan says about when your favorite wrestler doesn't go up the card, that their wins and losses don't matter. You stop caring about them, and you get tired of them. That is my biggest issue with the product right now.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Blasmeister posted:

I've heard complaints from people with slow internet that the network doesn't offer any choices in stream quality, so you can't stop it from buffering like mad, which is a big issue for livewatching ppvs etc.

Well the problem is that AND that apparently they don't have as good of an auto-buffering solution as Netflix does. On my PS3 and laptop I've been having problems as of late, and it means lovely quality and then constant buffering. At least Netflix is smarter with its streaming.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Astro7x posted:

THere is one line in particular that Bryan says about when your favorite wrestler doesn't go up the card, that their wins and losses don't matter. You stop caring about them, and you get tired of them. That is my biggest issue with the product right now.

hell this has been my problem with them since WCW closed down and they didn't think they had to worry about these things called "new stars" anymore and killed Chris Jericho's push before his title reign into Wrestlemania was even close to over

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

What do you people who are cord cutters do for your internet, exactly? Because where I live the only real choice in broadband is Comcast and their bundle deals are cheap enough that its almost more expensive for me to just have internet even though I don't watch TV more than a few times a month.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

RBX posted:

Yeah but this time things are different because unlike Hulkamania, John Cena is forever.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

What are you talking about, Hulkamania is still runnin' wild, brother.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Baby Babbeh posted:

What do you people who are cord cutters do for your internet, exactly? Because where I live the only real choice in broadband is Comcast and their bundle deals are cheap enough that its almost more expensive for me to just have internet even though I don't watch TV more than a few times a month.

Fios, at&t, and Time Warner are the big dogs. I've had the latter two using just internet and it hasn't broken the bank or anything.

AlbertRayon
Sep 9, 2004

Hey, hey what can I do? I got a woman, she won't be true.
Check your bills from WWE network if you reupped recently. I just caught that they have been double billing me since I resubscribed.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Baby Babbeh posted:

I get mid-tier fios, Network's streamed in HD without problems since I got it. Comcast is a real motherfucker of a company. (well, aren't they all?)

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Watching the MNW cruiserweight episode. I've been defending the series a bit so far since I knew WWE wouldn't touch certain subjects and it would be slanted in the WWE's favor. However, with this being the first WCW episode, it's really loving annoying to have them cut in when talking about WWE's failings and show Rock and Austin and remind the viewer they won in the end when it isn't even relevant. Just talk about the subject at hand, dammit!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Baby Babbeh posted:

Same here since Fios isn't available in my neighborhood unlike other parts of Pittsburgh. I still have no desire to pay Comcast any more than the $75 a month for unbundled Blast internet that I already have to give them. Sure, I know I could get a basic cable package of local broadcast stations in SD along some religious channels and home shopping crap for cheap, but why bother? I'd rather just stick to getting the local stuff in HD over an antenna for free.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Dango Bango posted:

Watching the MNW cruiserweight episode. I've been defending the series a bit so far since I knew WWE wouldn't touch certain subjects and it would be slanted in the WWE's favor. However, with this being the first WCW episode, it's really loving annoying to have them cut in when talking about WWE's failings and show Rock and Austin and remind the viewer they won in the end when it isn't even relevant. Just talk about the subject at hand, dammit!

Did You Know?

WWE definitely won the MONDAY NIGHT WAR and TED TURNER definitely lost that thing. Wow WCW really screwed that up, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I am honestly surprised we didn't get any mention of Oklahoma, Cruiserweight Champion.

Or the attempt near the end with the Tag Team Cruiserweight Championship.