Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sirotan posted:

It's me, I'm the guygirl in this post.

:11tea:

A Calendar of those seals! :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Sirotan posted:

As somebody who used to wire up LAN parties: gently caress you :mad:

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

peak debt posted:

As somebody who used to wire up LAN parties: gently caress you :mad:

Hey now. This is a cubicle setup and thus has the power capacity for it. I mean, someone in the building has a mini-fridge in their cubicle. No, seriously. It's sitting on the desk.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

If you lot used the correct voltage it wouldn't be a problem :colbert:. Speaking of LAN parties though, gently caress people who mislabel circuits, and gently caress people who put outlets running on 5 circuits in a room so that outlets along one wall are evenly split across 4 circuits, but the other walls all share the same circuit.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Lightning Jim posted:

Hey now. This is a cubicle setup and thus has the power capacity for it. I mean, someone in the building has a mini-fridge in their cubicle. No, seriously. It's sitting on the desk.

My cube is in the IT room, it's wired to be able to handle a higher electricity draw. Well, it probably is. Haven't blown a breaker yet! :j:

For real though I have like 4 cups of tea a day. How else do you expect me to get the perfect steeping temperature for oolong?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I wonder if I should get another electric kettle. Mine is pretty loud, so I have to keep it in the kitchen. But that means that I invariably boil water 2-3 times before I manage to actually make a cup of tea.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

IndustrialApe posted:

Well this was a new one: an international student decided he wanted some tea and instead of going to the vending machine for some hot water, he plugged in his own water cooker. Currently there's 2 computer labs without working computers or lights.
If a single kettle can bring down two labs I think you need to get an electrician on site asap before something catches fire. That sounds like your electrical wiring is majorly hosed up.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Sirotan posted:

My cube is in the IT room, it's wired to be able to handle a higher electricity draw. Well, it probably is. Haven't blown a breaker yet! :j:

For real though I have like 4 cups of tea a day. How else do you expect me to get the perfect steeping temperature for oolong?

High five tea all day at work buddy. :11tea::hf::11tea:

A ticket came in: :downs: I got an e-mail with a bunch of misspellings about an "unpaid invoic". I couldn't open the pdf the first time so I tried it three more times. And then sent it off to someone else to try to open. And then kept trying myself. And now my computer won't work!

Sigh.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
teachat trigger warning, this is tea made from a bag with limescaley water from a 10 year old tea urn and semi-skimmed milk

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
The DVLA (UK DMV equivalent) phone system has no hold mechanism. If nobody's free you just get a curt "None of our 267 operators are available. Goodbye."

Fantastic when you've got something urgent to do and the website tells you to phone them. All the offices got closed a few years ago so you can't even go in person.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Collateral Damage posted:

If a single kettle can bring down two labs I think you need to get an electrician on site asap before something catches fire. That sounds like your electrical wiring is majorly hosed up.
Electric kettles do use a surprising amount of power (like > 1600 watts), but that really shouldn't be enough to trip circuit breakers in a computer lap.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

I have a Teavana glass mug I keep at my desk. Twist ending I drink :coffee: out of it.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Entropic posted:

Electric kettles do use a surprising amount of power (like > 1600 watts), but that really shouldn't be enough to trip circuit breakers in a computer lap.

They hover around 1KW actually, but that's beside the point.

Even well planned circuits are gonna get wrecked by this kind of load since you plan the amount of outlets on a circuit on "expected load", if you know your workstations draw 200W peak (modern low end training stations hover around this, or laptop+monitors and a few chargers) you're going to happily put 10-15 outlets on a 20 amp circuit.

Put a 1KW load on that and you will trip the breaker.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

internet jerk posted:

I have a Teavana glass mug I keep at my desk. Twist ending I drink :coffee: out of it.

You monster.

deimos posted:

Even well planned circuits are gonna get wrecked by this kind of load since you plan the amount of outlets on a circuit on "expected load", if you know your workstations draw 200W peak (modern low end training stations hover around this, or laptop+monitors and a few chargers) you're going to happily put 10-15 outlets on a 20 amp circuit.

Put a 1KW load on that and you will trip the breaker.

My Zoujirushi uses about 700w to come to a boil, and then 90w to maintain a constant temp. They even sell vacuum sealed models that don't require any power to keep warm.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

jammyozzy posted:

The DVLA (UK DMV equivalent) phone system has no hold mechanism. If nobody's free you just get a curt "None of our 267 operators are available. Goodbye."

Fantastic when you've got something urgent to do and the website tells you to phone them. All the offices got closed a few years ago so you can't even go in person.

Be fair: they based in Swansea and hold technology is pretty advanced for them.

Be grateful that they even have electricity and phones at all.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
A call came in: "Do I have a Bort Reader?" After a few rounds of confused questioning, she corrects herself: "Or wait, is it Abdob?" which is when I clue in that she's failing to read "Adobe".

Literacy: not a requirement to work in a financial institution.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

deimos posted:

My electric kettle is 2400W and is in no way exceptional here in Europe. Where the guy posting about the tripped breaker lives as well.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Fenrisulfr posted:

A call came in: "Do I have a Bort Reader?" After a few rounds of confused questioning, she corrects herself: "Or wait, is it Abdob?" which is when I clue in that she's failing to read "Adobe".

That sounds more like dyslexia, not illiteracy.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Flipperwaldt posted:

My electric kettle is 2400W and is in no way exceptional here in Europe. Where the guy posting about the tripped breaker lives as well.

Yeah yeah, you can boil water for tea in 3 minutes or less. Shove it up your nose. :argh:

That's why we need the Zojirushis (also, :hf: Sirotan for being Zojirushi buddies), because waiting for a 15-amp kettle (more like 10-12 really) to boil water means we'll have fallen asleep by the time it boils.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've got a Panasonic electric kettle just like Sirotan's and we've never had any issues.

Hell, we're all thin clients for end users, so the occasional under-desk space heater doesn't kill the entire office.

Also, chiming in on the hold music bandwagon - we started using one of those free conference call services, and it lets you select your own hold music for free. I started out with Computerworld by Kraftwerk, One Step Beyond by Madness, and some random j-rock before settling on the Star Wars cantina band.

"The biweekly manager's meeting. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
So I'm 90% sure that someone reported our parent company for software piracy.

quote:

we have to provide a statement to Microsoft regarding the # of MS Office licenses that we own.

quote:

They're going to need each and every license key unfortunately & they are conducting the inventory using a third party next week. This was initiated by Microsoft

I don't think Microsoft comes in for an inventory of your office licenses out of the blue. I know we're compliant because we are archaic and buy a license per laptop (yay OS X) but now I get to waste time and pull license keys.

I'm pretty sure they use a site license so they could have gone over but I don't know if that pings Microsoft.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Being in an English office, every single room that has workers here has a kettle that boils in around 10 seconds, with decent milk and hundreds of teabags readily available.

Its a small perk, but its a nice one.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

MJP posted:

I've got a Panasonic electric kettle just like Sirotan's and we've never had any issues.

Hell, we're all thin clients for end users, so the occasional under-desk space heater doesn't kill the entire office.

Also, chiming in on the hold music bandwagon - we started using one of those free conference call services, and it lets you select your own hold music for free. I started out with Computerworld by Kraftwerk, One Step Beyond by Madness, and some random j-rock before settling on the Star Wars cantina band.

"The biweekly manager's meeting. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."

I've found that under-desk heaters breed like rabbits. It starts with one and suddenly the entire department is using them and the breaker flips when someone prints or uses the microwave in the break room.

Hold music chat: I called my bank this morning to get an issue with my debit card fixed. Their hold music itself was pretty good, some instrumental jazz/swing stuff. Aside from the initial "Our agents are busy, It will take less time to wait on the line then to hang up and call back" message once, any music interruptions was a voice claiming to be the CEO telling jokes.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Fenrisulfr posted:

A ticket came in: Do I have a Bort Reader?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

dogstile posted:

Being in an English office, every single room that has workers here has a kettle that boils in around 10 seconds, with decent milk and hundreds of teabags readily available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenger_2#Crew_and_accommodation

quote:

Similar to every British tank since the Centurion, and most other British AFVs, Challenger 2 contains a boiling vessel (BV) for water which can be used to brew tea, produce other hot beverages and heat boil-in-the-bag meals contained in ration packs.[12] This BV requirement is general for armoured vehicles of the British Armed Forces, and is unique to the armed forces of the UK.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Collateral Damage posted:

It's actually one room that's split in two smaller lab with a glass pane, your point still stand though. It shouldn't have happened, despite all the other devices that were being plugged in on top of the computers and the kettle.
Oh well, sent it to facilities and IT. I am merely the librarian.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

"Could you tell me how you dragged one file from window to the other again? I can't see both at the same time."

"Unmaximise one of the windows."

"Oh right!"

I guess moving files around is an advanced IT skill? Oh well, it's something to keep me busy in my sudden extra two hours of work today when the boss emails me from home at 4:50 and said, "Can you stay till 7PM? We need cover! Oh, also I need you in at 7AM tomorrow because the early shift guy is on holiday. You'll need to get a door key and fob from the caretaker, else you won't be able to get into the building."

Glad I got ascension on my iphone...

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

pr0digal posted:

So I'm 90% sure that someone reported our parent company for software piracy.

I don't think Microsoft comes in for an inventory of your office licenses out of the blue. I know we're compliant because we are archaic and buy a license per laptop (yay OS X) but now I get to waste time and pull license keys.

I'm pretty sure they use a site license so they could have gone over but I don't know if that pings Microsoft.

drat it looks like I was wrong. It's something about a SAM Engagement. But it's "Microsoft Funded"

The Volume License scheme makes no sense for OS X environments, there is little to no benefit.

Also hold music chat: our COO had me remove ours. Now it's just two beeps. People hang up all the time.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 16, 2014

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

pr0digal posted:

drat it looks like I was wrong. It's something about a SAM Engagement.

The Volume License scheme makes no sense for OS X environments, there is little to no benefit.

Also hold music chat: our COO had me remove ours. Now it's just two beeps. People hang up all the time.

Yeah, we were randomly audited 6 months ago by Microsoft as well. It seems like the second you buy a Volume license you're on the chopping block for a random audit.

The best part was the auditing firm was located in New Zealand. They wouldn't read my questions and I kept getting a "You have 2 weeks to rectify your licensing problems". I kept telling them the old server had be decommissioned and I was compliant.

Took a drat phonecall at like 6pm EST to talk to someone.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Fenrisulfr posted:

Was she out of Bort license plates?

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Sirotan posted:

Overload! Your cube is the best cube!
And I love those water heaters so much - can't live without one at home.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

dogstile posted:

What exactly constitutes indecent milk? Does it curse at you while you pour it or something?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

IndustrialApe posted:

It's actually one room that's split in two smaller lab with a glass pane, your point still stand though. It shouldn't have happened, despite all the other devices that were being plugged in on top of the computers and the kettle.
Oh well, sent it to facilities and IT. I am merely the librarian.
Ah yeah, it was that you mentioned two labs which I took as two different rooms that made it sound odd. You really shouldn't have different rooms on the same circuit and a single overloaded outlet bringing down more than one circuit is a red flag.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

What exactly constitutes indecent milk? Does it curse at you while you pour it or something?

American cow milk or soya, I'd guess. :v:

Perfect username post combo for you, haha.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
eat a bowl of dicks,
eat a bowl of dicks!
eat a bowl of dicks ADP eTime,
eat a bowllllllllll of dicccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkksssssssssssssssss!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Milk that doesn't come in a bag.

:canada:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Skim milk. It's water pretending to be milk.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Skim milk or UHT milk. The first is water, the second is just loving strange.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

notwithoutmyanus posted:

American cow milk or soya, I'd guess. :v:

Perfect username post combo for you, haha.

American cow milk from the place that had to request the fda increase the amount of allowed blood and pus in milk so they could keep selling theirs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Everybody in my office wants to get a coffee machine but the bosses won't let us. Thankfully there's a deli on the first floor, but still.

• Locked thread