Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

dreffen posted:

Is the dialogue at all close to that?

...Not always. But yeah, whenever a not-Penguin proto-villain turns up the show just can't get out of its own way and thinks its actually being clever by overtly winking at the audience. I can only imagine how they're going to handle the Joker when they get to that point.

E:

Strabo4 posted:

Cheesy but worth the watch for the Penguin murdering his way all around Gotham.

^^^ This. The guy playing Cobblepot is amazing. If they hadn't of cast him as Penguin already, he'd have probably been a shoe-in for Joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

That sounds terrible.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The penguin in Gotham is literally cream of the crap.

People are assigning value to something solely because there's less slimey poo poo that sticks to that particular shoe.

Oh, and potalgia. Potential for what they want to have happen, plus nostalgia for what they love(d) about the Batman mythology.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

greatn posted:

Got bad news for you, we already have Batman on TV. Its that show where Batman will never appear. Where you'll probably literally get dialogue like:
A: "I'm thinking of hiring a ventriloquist for my kids party"
B: "Scarface?"
A: "Huh?"
B: (camera pans over) "I noticed you have a Scarface poster on the wall"
A: "Yeah I'm a huge fan".
B: "Never would have guessed. You're certainly an enigma"
(C enters)
C: "Hey guys did you see the news about this killer croc down at the zoo?"
A: ...
B: ...
C: ... ... ... Mr. Freeze

I think the kid playing Bruce would be an excellent batman in ten years, but I think we can do something better in the meantime.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

heavy liquid posted:

The storm giving random people super powers reminds me of Misfits. All we need is someone to gain the power of Lactokinesis.

Save me, Barry!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Going back to Weather Wizard, the character in the comics is named Marc Mardon, and the guy Barry fought (who may or may not have been killed) was Clyde Mardon. I think we may still see brother Marc at some point, maybe for a grand team-up of the Rogues later on in the season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Going back to Weather Wizard, the character in the comics is named Marc Mardon, and the guy Barry fought (who may or may not have been killed) was Clyde Mardon. I think we may still see brother Marc at some point, maybe for a grand team-up of the Rogues later on in the season.

I'm guessing Reverse Flash for the mid-Season finale and the Rogues for the Season Finale. Depending on the direction of Wells, I could definitely see him being Professor Zoom if he's also trying to make Barry reach his maximum potential and not just protect him. Thawne seems like a straight revenge angle. I'm sure either one or all of the Rogues will eventually try to exploit Barry's inability to actually be in multiple places to tire him out and deal the finishing blow.

Weather Wizard's brother is probably coming back with the same powers (either meta or artificial) and Multiplex probably beamed his mind into one of his clones and ran off.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I refuse to watch Gotham because the entire premise is lets do Smallville all over again but make Batman a little kid.

I'm really enjoying Flash and Arrow, and would love to see additional heroes show up. Batman has been my favorite hero growing up, but I'd rather have him show up on the occasional episode of these shows as a guest star rather than have his own show.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
"This guy who can clone himself was working on cloning."
"That's ironic, he was working on cloning and he can clone himself."

It's really hard to drat Gotham for its terrible dialogue, and praise this show at the same time. :smith: At least The Flash can actually go somewhere and has promise and good intentions...but goddamn. I like Gustin, I like the music, it's a good looking show, but I really hope they can just tighten everything up a bit more.

Surprised Detective Not-Lance is already in on the secret identity though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If you're worried about The Flash's dialogue and haven't watched Arrow, I can offer two nuggets of information.

1) The dialogue really doesn't get better. Even Arrow at its very best has some terribad dialogue - "My darkness keeps dragging down your light."

2) Despite their inability to write solid dialogue, the PLOTTING on Arrow is goddamn incredible. Everyone likes to talk about Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire and True Detective - but Arrow can give them all a run for their money. And do it over the course of a twenty two episode season. Proper raising of dramatic stakes, actual character arcs, rising and falling action... that's where the creative team excels.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Hey, for every bad line in Arrow there is another that is sold loving gold. Gotham is a swirling maelstrom of bad dialogue with no bottom.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Spergatory posted:

Hey, for every bad line in Arrow there is another that is sold loving gold. Gotham is a swirling maelstrom of bad dialogue with no bottom.

Let's be honest "You have failed this city!" makes up for any cheesy writing.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

VagueRant posted:

"This guy who can clone himself was working on cloning."
"That's ironic, he was working on cloning and he can clone himself."

It's really hard to drat Gotham for its terrible dialogue, and praise this show at the same time. :smith: At least The Flash can actually go somewhere and has promise and good intentions...but goddamn. I like Gustin, I like the music, it's a good looking show, but I really hope they can just tighten everything up a bit more.

Surprised Detective Not-Lance is already in on the secret identity though.

I don't think that's a good example of the terrible dialogue though (I mean you had "We were all struck by that lightning" right there to choose instead!). They were just being a little self-referential in acknowledging that a lot of the metahuman powers are going to be either ironic or connected to the person's identity.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ghostwritingduck posted:

I refuse to watch Gotham because the entire premise is lets do Smallville all over again but make Batman a little kid.

I'm really enjoying Flash and Arrow, and would love to see additional heroes show up. Batman has been my favorite hero growing up, but I'd rather have him show up on the occasional episode of these shows as a guest star rather than have his own show.

Except smallville started out with clark being 14 and would have been significantly improved by casting a decent 14 year old actor instead of an arsehole like Tom Welling.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I actually hope they save the formation of the Rogues for the second or third season. Solo episodes at first, maybe a two-man team-up or two-man at-odds episode, and over time their mutual hatred of the Flash inspires Snart to bring them together.

The good news is that the FX/CGI technology to credibly pull off their powers is easily possible. Weather Wizard’s been done. What they did for Multiplex, they could do for Mirror Master. Captain Cold and Heat Wave’s guns are easy, and Captain Boomerang/Trickster wouldn’t be too hard either with their gadgets.

Of course, I’d keep it to the first four. To me, those are the “classic” Rogues.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

They have got to have a couple gorilla costumes from Tim Burton's planet of the apes in a storage shed somewhere.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm probably going to delve into Waid's run in Vol 2 of the Flash in preparation for checking out Geoff Johns' run of things. Excited to see how Flash plays as a singular lead, as my exposure to The Flash was always in Justice League stories.

Been a fan of the rogues since they showed up in a JLU episode that had all sorts of fun - the animation team went NUTS with mirror master. I can't even imagine what the arrow stunt team could do with that power set for an action scene.

Really can't be said enough how good Grant Gustin is in this role. The idea of turning the flash into a young and earnest Christoper Reeves-esque hero is a good one, but it would completely fall apart if Gustin wasn't up to the task. His monologue to Jesse L Martin over pizza is a tough piece of acting to sell - its not poorly written, but it requires a blunt honesty that few actors possess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EgoEgress posted:

I think it's implied that he has at least some access to the future beyond newspapers. The particle accelerator and the work Wells was doing was apparently far, far in advance of everything else in the field, according to Barry. I don't think it's a coincidence that the guy looking at newspapers from the future was "light years" ahead of CERN in terms of tech. I think he probably brought his future gadgetry with him to the past.

I personally don't think Wells is even a misguided do-gooder. Murder, messing with the past by bringing technology from the future, possibly intentionally orchestrating the advent of metahumans- who can cause a whole lot of trouble misusing their abilities? How extreme of a well-intentioned extremist are we talking here?

Wells is Abra Kadabra.:v:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

muscles like this? posted:

Wells is Abra Kadabra.:v:

So the midseason finale will be Barry being turned into a wooden puppet?

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 16, 2014

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

bobkatt013 posted:

Smile Time is the greatest hour of television ever. I will brook no argument.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

"Barry, you can't go that fast! The friction will set fire to your body!"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

jscolon2.0 posted:

Smile Time is the greatest hour of television ever. I will brook no argument.

"Greatest" is hard to agree with, but it is a drat fine hour of television.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

Some Numbers posted:

"Greatest" is hard to agree with, but it is a drat fine hour of television.

drat this show is doing good work. And while I get the H.G. Wells reference with the professor, every time they say his name all I can think of is Kristen Wells. I wonder if that's entirely coincidental, or if someone on-staff actually remembers Kristen Wells.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's fun to make fun of Gotham, but some of the "It's a SUICIDE SQUAD!!" lines from Arrow do give Gotham's references a run for their money.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

It's fun to make fun of Gotham, but some of the "It's a SUICIDE SQUAD!!" lines from Arrow do give Gotham's references a run for their money.

You're not wrong, but Arrow spent a year dodging overt references, while Gotham spent the first half of its pilot throwing them in our faces.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

You are also remembering the line a lot worse than it actually is. When she recruits Bronze tiger and he's like man why would I wanna join your team, Waller goes "Actually, it's more of a squad."

The suicide squad doesn't get name dropped until the actual episode, when Diggle shows up and Deadshot says "welcome to the suicide squad" after learning their objective.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

You are also remembering the line a lot worse than it actually is. When she recruits Bronze tiger and he's like man why would I wanna join your team, Waller goes "Actually, it's more of a squad."

The suicide squad doesn't get name dropped until the actual episode, when Diggle shows up and Deadshot says "welcome to the suicide squad" after learning their objective.

For what its worth, "Suicide Squad" has a nice ring to it thanks to alliteration.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also Floyd says it real cool.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
They don't need to avoid saying every name from the comics at all times to dodge what Gotham is being accused of. It is a squad of villains going on a suicide mission, it is happening right in that moment! The most appropriate time to use the name and not a tease at all.

It is not "Look at this six year old girl named Ivy who likes plants, gee I guess this is not relevant at all to our story. BUT LOOK AT HER AND REMEMBER COMIC BOOKS!"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Neon Knight posted:

They don't need to avoid saying every name from the comics at all times to dodge what Gotham is being accused of. It is a squad of villains going on a suicide mission, it is happening right in that moment! The most appropriate time to use the name and not a tease at all.

It is not "Look at this six year old girl named Ivy who likes plants, gee I guess this is not relevant at all to our story. BUT LOOK AT HER AND REMEMBER COMIC BOOKS!"

Or "Cobblepot, you walk like a penguin" or "Nygma, your riddles are stupid."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Neon Knight posted:

That one's especially egregious because they changed her name just so it'd be more obvious for the non-comic people watching. Like reddish hair and plants aren't obvious enough, so they'd get confused if she was called Pamela.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Or "Cobblepot, you walk like a penguin" or "Nygma, your riddles are stupid."

The Nygma riddle thing was just his first appearance for people who would have no clue what his name was. Every other appearance he hasn't done it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The Nygma riddle thing was just his first appearance for people who would have no clue what his name was. Every other appearance he hasn't done it.

Some Numbers posted:

Gotham spent the first half of its pilot throwing them in our faces.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Like reddish hair and plants aren't obvious enough

Correct.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Arrow and Flash both have silly-stylized dialogue because they're Superhero shows on the CW. It's not like the writing
teams can't find the "good dialogue" buttons--they're writing CW Soaps, which by their nature have a lot of declarative
statements and exposition.
These shows are written to be picked up and understood by ANY type of first time viewer and broad audiences of
varying attention-spans. Laurel straight-up telling Oliver "YOU'VE REMOVED THE BULLETS!!"-is an exemple of what that type
of writing they have to do--if Arrow was on FX with the exact same writers, that line would have never touched the page.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It was better than that, it was "YOU TOOK THE BULLETS OUT OF THE GUN!", meaning she thought the Arrow might've also removed bullets from her cellphone and needed to clarify.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

It was better than that, it was "YOU TOOK THE BULLETS OUT OF THE GUN!", meaning she thought the Arrow might've also removed bullets from her cellphone and needed to clarify.

Yeah! Whenever I hear a line like that in Arrow and Flash, I can just see the writers eye-rolling, because they KNOW they have to put it in there.
The kind of writing constraints they have are pretty big, actually. They have to keep pumping info and write it in a way that might
feel "true" so actors are not out to sea when they have to perform it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh god, you guys all have the Stockholm. Please continue to try to complain about other shows in order to build up the mess of this one.

"They did it toooooo!"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Drifter posted:

Oh god, you guys all have the Stockholm. Please continue to try to complain about other shows in order to build up the mess of this one.

"They did it toooooo!"

I always love it when someone comes into a thread that's overwhelmingly positive and tries to convince everyone that no, they're the ones who are right and literally everyone else is wrong.

It's just a good show, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Phylodox posted:

I always love it when someone comes into a thread that's overwhelmingly positive and tries to convince everyone that no, they're the ones who are right and literally everyone else is wrong.

It's just a good show, man.

poo poo, I thought this was the Gotham thread. gently caress me. Pretend I posted this there.
I really enjoy The Flash.

• Locked thread