Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

How is that preferable? Serious question I don't understand the technological benefits of it but it seems dumb to have to disconnect either your Apple TV or your idevice from your current wifi connection in order to stream.

I don't think that's how it works.. the AppleTV still uses a normal wi-fi connection to do its thing, but random iOS devices can tell it what to do with an ad-hoc connection.

At least I hope so, otherwise you're right, it's a completely useless feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yes but it only works with ATV3 IIRC.

And really as far as I know, you could only do this with it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5900

Oh, and apparently Airplay with an iOS 7.1+ device.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You don't have to do anything. You don't have to disconnect from your existing Wi-Fi network. :psyduck:

The point is that they don't have to be on the same network in the first place, which is the idea behind a conference room Apple TV -- really any ATV you want publicly discoverable.
I guess I don't understand what adhoc is but I didn't think you could be connected to two wifi connections at the same time so if I was communicating with the ATV then I couldn't be connected to an actual wifi connection at the same time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I didn't think you could be connected to two wifi connections at the same time
Most modern Apple devices can. This is the principle behind AirDrop. You can maintain an infrastructure and ad-hoc connection at the same time.

This is why there are hardware limitations that only newer devices can support these features.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Most modern Apple devices can. This is the principle behind AirDrop. You can maintain an infrastructure and ad-hoc connection at the same time.

This is why their are hardware limitations that only newer devices can support these features.
Oh hey that makes sense now. :waycool:

My only experience with stuff like that had been creating a wifi hotspot with a DSLR and then connecting the phone to the hotspot and it's really convoluted and weird.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

That's cool that it supports it. I'm trying to figure out how to watch some premier league games at our football tailgate next Saturday. I saw that the NBC Sports Live Extra app supported AirPlay so I was intrigued with buying an Apple TV just for that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

sudo rm -rf posted:

I saw that the NBC Sports Live Extra app supported AirPlay so I was intrigued with buying an Apple TV just for that.
I know I used that app to AirPlay SNF NFL games last season, but I think I tried a week or so ago and they killed using AirPlay in that app. I'll double-check.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For the direct connection mode I remember seeing some articles saying it required the minor revision that came out. I thought it was just a die shrink or some minor inconsequential (to the user) tweak but apparently not :iiam:

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I guess I don't understand what adhoc is but I didn't think you could be connected to two wifi connections at the same time so if I was communicating with the ATV then I couldn't be connected to an actual wifi connection at the same time.
WiFi Direct does magic stuff and allows direct connections between devices while maintaining connections to access points.

Well efb there but WiFi Direct is the name of the spec that does fancy stuff like that, there's also some Bluetooth involved that plays a part in how Apple is doing their proximity based features.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Daedalus Esquire posted:

So I done hosed up my 6's screen today and shattered it.

Stopped by the fruit stand and apparently swaps are up to $299, and that $109 price is just for screen replacements which they don't do in store yet and don't know when they will start.

If you don't have applecare+ get a case until they start doing screen swaps.

Whoever helped you was wrong. It's $109 for an iPhone 6 replacement that has cracked glass. You should try again, hopefully with someone different or the same person learning from their mistake.

Source: I do this every day.

Edit: if they need help, the phone has to be classified under Multiple Cracks first, then when a replacement phone is selected it should be chosen as a display repair. Hope this helps

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Event thread for tomorrow morning is up.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

1997 posted:

Whoever helped you was wrong. It's $109 for an iPhone 6 replacement that has cracked glass. You should try again, hopefully with someone different or the same person learning from their mistake.

Source: I do this every day.

Edit: if they need help, the phone has to be classified under Multiple Cracks first, then when a replacement phone is selected it should be chosen as a display repair. Hope this helps

Listen to this. My boss cracked his screen two days ago and they gave him a whole new handset for $109 because they're not replacing glass yet. And for what it's worth this was at an extremely busy store in NYC.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I just got my iPhone 6, and i want all the stuff i have backed up from my previous phone on the new phone, but iTunes is acting up, is there a way i can start the synch from my phone?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Do you use iCloud backups? You could restore from one of those.

How exactly is iTunes acting up?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

carry on then posted:

Do you use iCloud backups? You could restore from one of those.

I have backups on both the computer and iCloud, so it should be possible, i just couldn't find any option to do so.

Edit: Figured it out and now everything seems to be working. Thanks. :)

carry on then posted:

How exactly is iTunes acting up?

I am not sure exactly what the problem is, it has been going on for a while now, every time i connect my phone and open itunes, every minute or so my computer gives me a popup saying that AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe has stopped working, and among other things, it seems to stop me from synching my new phone from my backup, when i try to do it via iTunes. It just says: Itunes was unable to load data class information from Sync Services. Reconnect or try again.
I tried de-installing iTunes several times, and removing all the folders. But the problem is still there every time i re-install. I don't use iTunes much, so the few times when i backup my phone, and transfer music, i have been able to just ignore the popups.

Oasx fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 16, 2014

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
OK I'm thinking of jumping ship from Android to iOS for hope of improved battery, camera, and messaging. All my family and most friends are on iOS, and I use OS X.

Some things I like on Android are: Gmail, Google Now, Google Calendar, Google+ (Photos), Google Drive/Docs, Hangouts, and Google Play Music (All Access). Does anyone here have experience using these on iOS? Can I use the Gmail app as the default client? I don't mind buying some apps twice, but I don't want to get too locked in to either ecosystem (maybe this is futile).

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sobriquet posted:

OK I'm thinking of jumping ship from Android to iOS for hope of improved battery, camera, and messaging. All my family and most friends are on iOS, and I use OS X.

Some things I like on Android are: Gmail, Google Now, Google Calendar, Google+ (Photos), Google Drive/Docs, Hangouts, and Google Play Music (All Access). Does anyone here have experience using these on iOS? Can I use the Gmail app as the default client? I don't mind buying some apps twice, but I don't want to get too locked in to either ecosystem (maybe this is futile).

You can't use the Gmail app as the default client, but you can configure the built-in mail app to use Gmail if you don't care about losing push or the auto-categorizing of emails that Gmail can do.

Google Now still works pretty well, as do Hangouts and Play Music. The Hangouts app is actually better designed on iOS than Android; it's way less murderish on your eyes.

Google Calendar can be accessed in the native calendar app by way of CalDAV.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sobriquet posted:

Google apps are all free on iOS, so you won't have to pay for those, and all the ones you listed are available. I think Google Keep is maybe the only thing people use that's not on iOS. Google Now is in the Google app, but probably won't be as useful since you have to open it to see it, beyond getting notifications sometimes for things (like when to leave for an event). You can't set the Gmail app as default, but you can use it as your main app and just use Mail when sending stuff from links or whatever, which is how I do it. I just set Mail to never check for email so it doesn't waste battery.

EDIT: Oh, I guess there's no Google-made Calendar client, but any client that can access your phone's calendars can access Google Calendar, including the stock one. I use Fantastical.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Damo posted:

Man, based on the last few pages of this thread, the amount of people who use screen protectors is way higher than I would have guessed. It's amazing how many people are willing to cover their phone's screen leaving it never to be touched, viewed through a lovely 50c piece of plastic or glass, and protected for two years so they can sell it for an extra 25 bucks down the line and the next person can experience it better than they ever did. I'll never understand the thought process behind that, ever.

No more than I'll understand the thought process behind making stupid claims on the Internet that indicate you have no idea what you're talking about, but there you go, people aren't rational. Good, high-quality screen protectors are drat near indistinguishable from the glass and have been for years now. I don't use them because I don't care about a few scratches here and there, but I have friends who do and it is absolutely nothing like the "experience" you're imagining.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Choadmaster posted:

No more than I'll understand the thought process behind making stupid claims on the Internet that indicate you have no idea what you're talking about, but there you go, people aren't rational. Good, high-quality screen protectors are drat near indistinguishable from the glass and have been for years now. I don't use them because I don't care about a few scratches here and there, but I have friends who do and it is absolutely nothing like the "experience" you're imagining.

I have never ever seen a "good" looking screen protector. 100% of them are a streaky bubbly mess.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Using a screen protector is actually cool and good because you get so used to it and then when you take it off a few months later you're like "whoa" because the screen looks so much better it's like you just had Lasik surgery.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Using a screen protector is actually cool and good because you get so used to it and then when you take it off a few months later you're like "whoa" because the screen looks so much better it's like you just had Lasik surgery.
HAHA

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sobriquet posted:

I know you said you wanted to avoid ecosystem lock in, but Google Now is one of those products that really only starts to shine when you're heavily invested in the Google ecosystem. I'd use that as your barometer: If you love Google Now and wouldn't really be happy without it, you're probably locked into Google's ecosystem to a degree that you wouldn't really be happy with iOS. Google has pretty good apps on iOS, but it will never and can never have the level of OS integration that it does with Android.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Kobayashi posted:

I know you said you wanted to avoid ecosystem lock in, but Google Now is one of those products that really only starts to shine when you're heavily invested in the Google ecosystem. I'd use that as your barometer: If you love Google Now and wouldn't really be happy without it, you're probably locked into Google's ecosystem to a degree that you wouldn't really be happy with iOS. Google has pretty good apps on iOS, but it will never and can never have the level of OS integration that it does with Android.

I'd say just in general based on the app usage they're already locked into the Google ecosystem.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!

Kobayashi posted:

I mean - I love Google Now, but I would definitely still be happy without it. It doesn't blow me away. Having good experiences with Gmail, Calendar, Google+ Photos, and Google Play Music is much more important. I also use Pocket Casts, which I know is on iOS, but I use iTunes to listen to podcasts at work and it would be nice for that poo poo to finally sync between laptop and phone.

I really like Android, but sometimes I think I really just want to like it, so going back to iOS feels like giving up on it. Maybe I'll see if I can get an iPhone for 30 days or whatever to figure out how I like it. Thanks everyone.

Sobriquet fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 16, 2014

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I have never ever seen a "good" looking screen protector. 100% of them are a streaky bubbly mess.

Did 100% of them get installed by kindergarteners? Sticking on a screen protector without getting bubbles is remarkably easy. But then it wouldn't surprise me if the $3 ones sold in mall kiosks are harder to install in addition to looking shittier, and people really do love to go cheap and then complain about it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Sobriquet posted:

I also use Pocket Casts, which I know is on iOS, but I use iTunes to listen to podcasts at work and it would be nice for that poo poo to finally sync between laptop and phone.
The iPhone Podcast app has had a spotty history to say the least. Pocket Casts on iOS is awesome and they're in beta of a web-based podcast player for a small fee which looks like it should be worth it if you do a lot of your listening on a PC.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Sobriquet posted:

I mean - I love Google Now, but I would definitely still be happy without it. It doesn't blow me away. Having good experiences with Gmail, Calendar, Google+ Photos, and Google Play Music is much more important. I also use Pocket Casts, which I know is on iOS, but I use iTunes to listen to podcasts at work and it would be nice for that poo poo to finally sync between laptop and phone.

I really like Android, but sometimes I think I really just want to like it, so going back to iOS feels like giving up on it. Maybe I'll see if I can get an iPhone for 30 days or whatever to figure out how I like it. Thanks everyone.

Like all the others said the Google iOS apps work great. There are minor things that are different. Google+ photos for example works great on iOS but you have to actually open the app so it can backup your photos. It can't do this in the background like on Android.
The thing I missed most from Android while I was using iOS was Google keep. Don't know why Google doesn't release an iOS version.

For now I'm back on Android because I thought I liked it more but I already miss some things from iOS. I guess it's a case of greener grass on the other side of the fence.
If you get a chance to try an iPhone for a month or two go for it.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Got a 6 Plus on the way, and went to do my typical upgrade ritual of ordering a new Uncommon Capsule Case with some sweet art... and they don't offer the Capsule for the 6 Plus (yet?)!

Anyone have a case recommendation for something similar? I love these things - art of my choosing/making, and I've never lost a phone to dropping it while in one of 'em.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Glass screen protectors are actually quite nice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Glass screen protectors are actually quite nice.

Yeah, the one that ships with the iPhone is pretty badass.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

xzzy posted:

Yeah, the one that ships with the iPhone is pretty badass.

The best way to protect glass is with more glass.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

A guy at my job put his screen protector on in the biosafety cabinet specifically so it wouldn't get dust under it.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

If people are buying cheap screen protectors and can't apply them properly they will look like poo poo, yeah. You can't even tell that there's a screen protector on my phone, and if I put it next to an iPhone with no screen protector, there's absolutely no difference between the screens whatsoever. A good screen protector is pretty much invisible.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

the kawaiiest posted:

If people are buying cheap screen protectors and can't apply them properly they will look like poo poo, yeah. You can't even tell that there's a screen protector on my phone, and if I put it next to an iPhone with no screen protector, there's absolutely no difference between the screens whatsoever. A good screen protector is pretty much invisible.

A good screen protector is invisible. :smug:

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

noirstronaut posted:

Haha yeah, I meant like you can only see that it's on because it doesn't cover the entire surface of the phone.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

noirstronaut posted:

Yeah, and I saved $x on mine :smugdog:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Thanks to whomever posted that istocknow.com web address. I checked right after the announcement and 128gb 6s were in stock at my nearby fruit stand. It's pulling my could backup now. :toot:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

For the iOS 8 Music app, is there a way to make an "On-The-Go" playlist? Basically, on the iPod Classic, if you pressed and held on the center "Enter" button of the iPod, it would bring up a menu which a few options. One was "Add to On-The-Go". When you synced your iPod later, you would have a new "On-The-Go" playlist in iTunes, the contents of which were whatever song(s) you were playing when you did that. It was useful to make a reminder to do something with a song when I got home and could manage the song in iTunes.

For example, I have a Queen song I want to edit when I get home, but couldn't find a way to put it in a playlist as easily as I could with my iPod.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

IUG posted:

For the iOS 8 Music app, is there a way to make an "On-The-Go" playlist?

Scroll to the top of the Playlists list, tap "New Playlist."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

various cheeses posted:

A guy at my job put his screen protector on in the biosafety cabinet specifically so it wouldn't get dust under it.

Some goon a few pages back did the same thing and still got dust under it :laugh: