Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

That trailer looks overloaded to hell. It looks like the tires are scraping the inside of the fender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Javid posted:

Trailer brakes were stuck on or something, permanent cloud of blue smoke whenever it got moving. But they stopped to air up the tires at least!

Too much weight and the tires are rubbing in the wells.
The blowout is going to be fun.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 223 days!)

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

The blowout is going to be fun.

I'm surprised they haven't all shredded or broken beads, yet. I just want to see the first major pothole (as it will be the last). At least the suburbans' front end is already prepped for a (secondary) impact into the rear of the truck.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

When I was 18 or so I blew a rear tire out at 75 in the middle of Nebraska at 11pm in January, with 4 of my idiot friends in the car and an overloaded trailer behind us. Pants were shat. That in no way is going to be as terrifying as what is going to happen to that trailer.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Lost tires on a trailer almost just like that one towing over Donner one night in the snow. The spare wouldn't hold air, either. On the bright side, in the snow you didn't notice the lack of traction from not having all 4 tires. :v:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Lost tires on a trailer almost just like that one towing over Donner one night in the snow. The spare wouldn't hold air, either. On the bright side, in the snow you didn't notice the lack of traction from not having all 4 tires. :v:

If this was in 2009 and you were headed east, you are the bastard that almost got me creamed by two trucks trying to avoid you. <:mad:>

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Hey, I had my flashers on.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Hey, I had my flashers on.

FINISH HIM.

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004

InterceptorV8 posted:

My new truck is full of fail

I am curious, why did you "upgrade" to a new truck, or is this a company truck you were given? I know at one point you were a O/O but I don't know if you still are.

Moving to California is one of the reasons I will now never be a O/O, because I refuse to spend that much money on anything that would be legal to operate in Cali. If I were to go into it, I would personally stick to pre-egr trucks, probably in that 99 to 2002 range. Maybe in 5-10 years they will finally figure out how to fix these drat trucks but until then I'm doing my best to stay clear.

Now if only I'd taken that advice for my personal pick up trucks. My EGR in my f250 is always loving up in my 2003. Yeah yeah I know, its a 6.0 engine and all the fun that entails. At some point I will have to find out if my f350 of the same year will pass emissions, it had most of the alterations to the engine done long before we decided to move out here.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Shadokin posted:

I am curious, why did you "upgrade" to a new truck, or is this a company truck you were given? I know at one point you were a O/O but I don't know if you still are.

Moving to California is one of the reasons I will now never be a O/O, because I refuse to spend that much money on anything that would be legal to operate in Cali. If I were to go into it, I would personally stick to pre-egr trucks, probably in that 99 to 2002 range. Maybe in 5-10 years they will finally figure out how to fix these drat trucks but until then I'm doing my best to stay clear.

Now if only I'd taken that advice for my personal pick up trucks. My EGR in my f250 is always loving up in my 2003. Yeah yeah I know, its a 6.0 engine and all the fun that entails. At some point I will have to find out if my f350 of the same year will pass emissions, it had most of the alterations to the engine done long before we decided to move out here.

Company hocus-pocus with them reclaiming trucks that they leased to themselves through a different company. Three Card Monte to show improved income/loss. Sorry for being so vague, but I have upset the offsite LF/D&D and GBS crew enough that they have been trying to doxx me for whatever reason. Which is funny to say the least, but I'm going to at least make them work harder for it. But back to the point, I'm not sure what is happening, I figure it is a lot like the 1978 chevy truck I'm talking about, they just kept throwing poo poo on it to make it hit the magical numbers, now in a couple of years they'll figure out how to make it work right. Then they will figure out how to keep poo poo from breaking (EGR coolers, I'm looking at you here)

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Posting this from my purring cab behind my 2012 N14 Plus redtop.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I think some of the lack of power is the fact that you stopped at Fuel City and had tacos. Maybe swam in their "fountain" too.

Everyone raves about their tacos, but I honestly wasn't impressed - I know of a lot better places.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

I think some of the lack of power is the fact that you stopped at Fuel City and had tacos. Maybe swam in their "fountain" too.

Everyone raves about their tacos, but I honestly wasn't impressed - I know of a lot better places.

Everyone raves about gas station tacos?

Aren't you practically next door to Mexico?

Up here in Canada we put up with bad tacos because they cost $1 on Taco Tuesday. You guys have no excuse.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

The best Mexican food is in Texas, not Mexico. Specifically, San Antonio.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

EightBit posted:

The best Mexican food is in Texas, not Mexico. Specifically, San Antonio.

Everyone look at EightBit who doesn't know anything.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah sure if you like refried beans coated in melted cheese.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I've been in lots of places in the south, and a few in the north, and I stand by my judgement on the quality of Mexican food found outside of Texas :colbert:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Mr. Wiggles posted:

:iamafag::hf::iamafag:

Tex-Mex is as authentic as Chop Suey. please don't break the news to 8bit

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/bestof/2013/award/best-late-night-restaurant-3377744/
http://directory.dmagazine.com/best-of-big-d/Best-Tacos-Fuel-City/23784
http://www.dallasobserver.com/bestof/2007/award/best-example-of-texas-in-a-nutshell-747940/

Yes.

Also, the best tacos shops I've found are usually in the back of run down gas stations.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Also, the best tacos shops I've found are usually in the back of run down gas stations.

..oddly enough, you also get the best gas out of run down taco stations. :smuggo:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
There is some solid Mexican food up here in Oregon, and not just in Portland.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Aren't you practically next door to Mexico?

Up here in Canada we put up with bad tacos because they cost $1 on Taco Tuesday. You guys have no excuse.

But the best taco shop in Calgary is also in the same parking lot as a gas station.
(Oro Azul, next to the Petro on Memorial and 36th)

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Automotive Insanity> Photos from the road, Yeah, I'll eat that.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InterceptorV8 posted:

Canadian Idiots make the best Tex Mex
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubUaZjwNBRE

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

InterceptorV8 posted:

Yeah why not? Whats the worst that could happen?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

jamal posted:

Yeah sure if you like refried beans coated in melted cheese.

But I do like those things. :confused:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

InterceptorV8 posted:

There's a late night taco truck that's been setting up at the pilot in fernley. Very good buche and carnitas.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Threw away all the good advice, i should be shipping out to Allentown, PA for Werner on tuesdays.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Something about goons and wells.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ozmiander posted:

Threw away all the good advice, i should be shipping out to Allentown, PA for Werner on tuesdays.

Do your time sinner.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There's a late night taco truck that's been setting up at the pilot in fernley. Very good buche and carnitas.

That Pilot is such a loving shitshow in Fernley.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

You'll probably be trekking a bit more up towards Lemmon Valley. Evidently Amazon is closing in Ferntucky and moving up 395 580.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I love a well-trimmed buche.

Honsy16
Mar 18, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

Having also done this, all I can say is "You poor, poor bastard." I hope that you get a better trainer there than I did.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Is this the place that was featured on Diners Driveins and Dives years ago? I always told myself the next time I'm back in Dallas to visit family I'd hit them up.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Does anyone here run a flatbed? Seems to be mostly vans and I would love* to hear some flat or step specific stories/thoughts.

*because I'm freight broker with about 99% of my loads on flat and step.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Pilsen South Chicago. Bar none best Mexican food.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Preoptopus posted:

Pilsen South Chicago. Bar none best Mexican food.

Any places you recommend? I've got a workshop in Pilsen.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

http://cdllife.com/2014/top-trucking-news/high-rate-bridge-strikes-prompts-new-york-officials-take-action/

quote:

High Rate of Bridge Strikes Prompts New York Officials to Take Action

New York to Begin Testing Over-Height Vehicle Detection Systems
New York officials are taking steps to prevent bridge strikes on FDR Drive.

According to the New York Daily News, over the past year, more than 150 vehicles have struck bridges and overpasses in New York.

This weekend, crews will place a steel beam that will prevent trucks from striking an overpass on southbound FDR drive near E. 90th street.

Some overpasses do not get any bridge strikes, but this one in particular . . . has one of the highest rates in the city, a New York Department of Transportation spokeswoman told the New York Daily News.

In September, crews began implementing over-height detection systems at five Hutchinson River Parkway entrance ramps as part of a $5 million program to warn truck drivers about to illegally drive onto the road.

With the new system, a too-tall vehicle would pass through an infrared beam which would then trigger an electronic message alerting the driver to pull over and call the police for help. It also alerts the DOT traffic management center, where operators call the police as well.

But not everyone agrees the infrared detection system is the best, most cost effective way to solve the issue. State Assemblyman Thomas Abinanti, D-Greenburgh, said he has repeatedly suggested hight bars that would physically block the trucks, which would be cheaper and would stop the trucks sooner than the beam system.

Or, you know, New York could, COULD just unfuck themselves and stop using magic numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm gonna mark out for New Mexico Green Chile cuisine as represented by the Petro in Milan NM and you can't stop me.

A dive in Quatrzsite AZ also counts.

Ozmiander posted:

Get
Out
And
Look

Be a jerk. Take up time. Just make sure you park it properly.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 18, 2014

• Locked thread