Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

quote:

Landless characters will still get you money, however a landed character do not have his "pocket change" with him to the prison and is considered unreachable for you.

Fair enough that it should be really hard (next to impossible perhaps) to imprison someone who has his own personal army (without starting a war), but the money thing makes no sense. If you're able to seize his castle(s) then wouldn't you also seize his money, which was probably stored there? If anything, finding out where people store their money should be far easier if they have actual property you can seize (which is probably where they'll keep it).

Then again, the rules of the imprisonment-system have always seemed weird to me. Why would my vassals be outraged if I execute or banish a traitor, but be fine with me letting them die of old age in jail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Elective succession, both gavelkind and the regular elective as far as I can tell, were changed in the patch so your vassals are now less likely to vote for your candidate and vote for whoever they like the most. This will be probably be some incompetent simpleton who they can screw over when he gets elected. However, they are supposed to favor your dynasty so it's less likely you'll get totally screwed over. They did this because elective was far too strong and because that's what you would do isn't it?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

You know, I get the whole "must squash gamey exploit aaaaa" theory that Paradox seems to have going here. I don't sympathize with it and get annoyed by it at times, but I can recognize it. What I don't understand are the justifications they sometimes bring out for some "exploit" squashing also being plausible. Like this part:

quote:

Landless characters will still get you money, however a landed character do not have his "pocket change" with him to the prison and is considered unreachable for you.

Yes, a landed character does not have his "pocket change" with him. You know where the "gold", being an abstraction of wealth, is? It's in the character's assets, which you seize from him when you banish him. What difference does it make if you strip all of the titles from the guy manually, then banish him as opposed to just banishing him straight up? Because one nets you gold, the other doesn't.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

:stare:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A way to get strong? Wow, that does seem cool.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
794 praise it
(I thought they had no events/mechanics for Zun?)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You can apparently get Strong, Genius, Quick, and Blind via events if you're Zunist.

Holy gently caress what.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

NewMars posted:

Yes, Semien in east Africa. It's even worse then in the later start dates, I believe.

100 years later I formed the Abbyssinian (?) kingdom in as glorious midas touched House Cohen.

I think I'm going to move through Egypt before tackling the abbasids.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

You know what this means, right? Inheritance in CK2 is Lamarckian.

Funky Valentine posted:

You can apparently get Strong, Genius, Quick, and Blind via events if you're Zunist.

Holy gently caress what.

Ahahahahah :getin:

I guess that makes up for them being bland as poo poo.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Ithle01 posted:

Elective succession, both gavelkind and the regular elective as far as I can tell, were changed in the patch so your vassals are now less likely to vote for your candidate and vote for whoever they like the most. This will be probably be some incompetent simpleton who they can screw over when he gets elected. However, they are supposed to favor your dynasty so it's less likely you'll get totally screwed over. They did this because elective was far too strong and because that's what you would do isn't it?

This is ludicrously annoying. I mean, everyone in my court likes me at 80+, but nuh-huh, I'm voting for your crazy aunt instead of your chosen son with 25 stewardship.

You basically have to give your chosen successor a Duchy for him to stand a chance.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Lord Tywin posted:

What is up with elective gavelkind? Those idiots are voting for my fucktard nephew instead of my half decent son(the 29 martial one died with the Varangians).

Vote for your fucktard nephew and watch as your electors flock to the half-decent one. :v:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

My oldest son is Incapable, but isn't likely to die until after I do. Since I'm on Elective Gavelkind, is there a way to disinherit him?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Vote for your fucktard nephew and watch as your electors flock to the half-decent one. :v:

I am going to raise one or two good heirs with great diplomacy and the others with lovely traits so no one likes them.

Then it will turn out that all of my vassals have lovely traits and thus have the + modifier for same trait with the rear end in a top hat with greedy and deceitful.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Bort Bortles posted:

I am going to raise one or two good heirs with great diplomacy and the others with lovely traits so no one likes them.

Then it will turn out that all of my vassals have lovely traits and thus have the + modifier for same trait with the rear end in a top hat with greedy and deceitful.

I can't help but to feel that there's a moral here.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I didn't see any hints of this imprisonment nerf when I was playing as my demon spawn emperor. I had at least half(around 20 or so) of my realms dukes in prison at any one time. Sure my success rate was always around 30-50%, but it's not like fighting a single duke is ever all that hard. Man that game was fun, every single one of my vassals hated me but because half of them were in prison and they were constantly dying from prison or my torturing to death they were never quite able to get their revolts strong enough to topple me.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

StashAugustine posted:

My oldest son is Incapable, but isn't likely to die until after I do. Since I'm on Elective Gavelkind, is there a way to disinherit him?

:ese:

Oh wait...

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Execute him. Rationalise it as smothering him with a pillow.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

StashAugustine posted:

Order him to take the vows, or to join the Varangian guard or something

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Autonomous Monster posted:

You know what this means, right? Inheritance in CK2 is Lamarckian.

Ahahahahah :getin:

I guess that makes up for them being bland as poo poo.

They've got more specific events than most of the other pagans have.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I kind of want to play Mali and try to forge some kind of massive empire with them. I am depressed about the idea though because they probably don't have any specific events or gameplay features. Which would render the whole thing kind of hollow.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What happened to feudal elective? My italian duke in the Charlemagne start has Gavelkind Elective, Primo and Seniority as options, and Gavelkind as current succcession law. Does Feudal Elective fire off at a later date?

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 16, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

As an aside, I wonder when decadence is finally going to be fixed. I guess the solution is that it's an inherently bad system and will probably never be fixed. Seems like every overhaul so far has overshot the sweet spot in some way.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Bort Bortles posted:

With Elective Gavelkind don't they strongly strongly prefer adult heirs? I noticed no one would vote for my kids over my brothers till they grew up.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I remember someone saying you would able to choose your successor now, just pick anyone you want. Did this not happen?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Gorelab posted:

With Elective Gavelkind don't they strongly strongly prefer adult heirs? I noticed no one would vote for my kids over my brothers till they grew up.

This has always been the case with elective. Just now they may choose to back a dynasty member if they like you rather than just your choice.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I have no idea what the heck Zun is. Is there some kind of historical basis for this or are we getting a new funtimes thing (I am cool with this I just can't find any info about Zun or the flavor anywhere)?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Back To 99 posted:

I remember someone saying you would able to choose your successor now, just pick anyone you want. Did this not happen?

You remember wrong, I think. I believe I heard that they were revamping Elective so you could NOT just pick your successor, since that was the way it used to be.

Of course, they overshot their goal in a way that makes you think it's just an example of a reductio ad absurdum fallacy. "I really, really like you, my liege. Still, I'm going to vote for this absolutely terrible heir instead of your choice, but he's of your dynasty, so we're all cool, even though once that dumbass takes the throne, I'm going to revolt and put some other dynasty on the throne, making the entire thing moot. However, if you were to elect that terrible heir as your choice, I'd quickly change my mind."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Incidentally, I tried out the new tutorials. They're pretty neat, but a little buggy and the tutorial pop-ups don't account for smaller resolutions.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Back To 99 posted:

You can designate a preferred regent now, maybe that's what you had in mind.

edit:

Ceciltron posted:

I have no idea what the heck Zun is. Is there some kind of historical basis for this or are we getting a new funtimes thing (I am cool with this I just can't find any info about Zun or the flavor anywhere)?

Here's the Wikipedia article on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zunbils

Apoffys fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 16, 2014

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
I feel like they nerfed a whole lot of things that did not need to be nerfed in a single player game.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Rumda posted:

This has always been the case with elective. Just now they may choose to back a dynasty member if they like you rather than just your choice.

Which still doesn't make much sense, since usually (once you are rollin') you tend to pick the person with the best attributes + diplomacy regardless of whether they are your kids or not. Apparently now electors pick based on the lovely RNG who they like the best.

Zun is a Hindu sun god that was worshiped by the Zunbils.

Which explains the holy site in Egypt.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 16, 2014

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Nobody has mentioned the new HRE color. Looks way better!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Ceciltron posted:

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Maybe this is better asked in the EUIV thread, but what's going to happen with the Umayyads if I export my game and they've created Hispania? Are they going to get Spanish ideas with Muslim tech? Part of me thinks it'd be a lot of fun to have the new world all to myself (I'm currently the Prince Mayor of the Most Serene Republic of Essex, thanks to a mod), but the idea of opposing Christian and Muslim colonial powers sounds awesome.

As long as I'm asking, is there any way to prevent the Anglo-Saxon -> English melting pot conversion event from firing?

Inside Outside fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 16, 2014

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Alright then. Thanks!

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Rumda posted:

I don't remember that with normal elective. In normal elective everyone seems quite happy to pick a child while at least in Gavelkind I've only seen that if all canidates are children if there's an adult they're all going to choose him real fast.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

TheMcD posted:

As an aside, I wonder when decadence is finally going to be fixed. I guess the solution is that it's an inherently bad system and will probably never be fixed. Seems like every overhaul so far has overshot the sweet spot in some way.

If you tried to make a mechanic like that work for a boardgame you'd quickly realize what a terrible idea it is to actually play with. Not sure what they were thinking other than adding yet another massive rebel trigger that the player can either A) Not control at all, just maybe slow down or B) Effectively Disabled/Not need to bother with.
Even if they balanced it perfectly it would basically be a long(er) timer until you get hit by a massive revolt.

You'd think they'd learn, but then they came up with the Adventurer mechanic :negative:

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
I'm playing Jews in eastern Africa and goddamn are these random-rear end religious revolts annoying. There are half a dozen jewish counties in the world, painfully converted through the court rabbi missions, two of which have fallen to a samaritan jewish heresy.
I'm up to the 10th Miaphysite Christian rebellion and the 3 Samaritan rebellion. Somehow they spawn with about 100% of my king's levies everytime, which makes it a mercenary tax.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Pimpmust posted:

If you tried to make a mechanic like that work for a boardgame you'd quickly realize what a terrible idea it is to actually play with. Not sure what they were thinking other than adding yet another massive rebel trigger that the player can either A) Not control at all, just maybe slow down or B) Effectively Disabled/Not need to bother with.
Even if they balanced it perfectly it would basically be a long(er) timer until you get hit by a massive revolt.

You'd think they'd learn, but then they came up with the Adventurer mechanic :negative:

Instead of a massive revolt it'd probably work better if all the outlying parts of your nation pretty much got free breakaways on death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Gorelab posted:

Instead of a massive revolt it'd probably work better if all the outlying parts of your nation pretty much got free breakaways on death.

That happens now if you are over your vassal limit. No CB either.

• Locked thread