Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Being a bit naive on these matters, I Googled 'maid cafe' and Wikipedia tells me....

quote:

Increasingly, maid cafés offer grooming services, such as ear cleanings and leg, arm, and back massages (provided the customer remains fully clothed), for an additional fee.
:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Brb, gonna start a Submissive Waifu Fantasy Camp.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kilmers Elbow posted:

ear cleanings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpZbu7J7UL4&t=501s

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

My favourite part is that all the obviously white girls have fake Japanese names.

My least favourite part is that I have to live in this city, and might conceivably run into these people. :barf:

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Grrl Anachronism posted:

My favourite part is that all the obviously white girls have fake Japanese names.

My least favourite part is that I have to live in this city, and might conceivably run into these people. :barf:

Same here...

Although to be fair to the girls working the cafe, they are probably being paid really well for this... at least I hope they are getting paid really well.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Kissa is Finnish for cat.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Shadoer posted:

Same here...

Although to be fair to the girls working the cafe, they are probably being paid really well for this... at least I hope they are getting paid really well.

In Japan maybe

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

AlmightyBob posted:

In Japan maybe

I'd like to think people need to be paid a lot of money to dress up as maids and call someone master. People have got to have more self respect than that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shadoer posted:

I'd like to think people need to be paid a lot of money to dress up as maids and call someone master. People have got to have more self respect than that.

I am virtually certain that people would do it for free, or indeed might pay to do it. Possibly not the people you'd want, though.

Subjunctive has a new favorite as of 18:32 on Oct 15, 2014

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

Shadoer posted:

I'd like to think so too but I wouldn't be surprised if they were temporary foreign workers being paid minimum wage less rent and other fees. Profit above all else in brave new Canada.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

At least if a maid cafe opens in your city/town you are less likely to be contact with gross Japan obsessed nerds.

And maybe someone will get a funny story about the time they learn what a maid cafe is. I learned the hard way that a Korean cafe is way different than a cafe.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Shadoer posted:

Oh god, looking at that tumblr page is like having acid thrown right into my eyes. It's hideous.

Did find the "meet the Maids" section though. Love some of these profiles:

Co-incidently they seem to all love cats as their favourite animal.

Some weird looking butler dude posted:

Tell us a random fact about yourself!: Often eats western food with chopsticks.

I wonder if it includes Cheeto's?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Shwqa posted:

I learned the hard way that a Korean cafe is way different than a cafe.

Do tell... :munch:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Pingiivi posted:

Kissa is Finnish for cat.

It's Swedish for “pee”, the verb.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Baron Snow posted:

Do tell... :munch:

So cafes are usually a mellow environment where I can get some work done. While I was visiting my fiancee's family, I yelped the nearest cafe.

This place was not shady looking at all from the outside except for the 4 ATMs in front of it. Each machine was in use. I got inside and are hundreds of flat screen TVs on the walls each with different sporting events. There are gambling arcade machines on most the tables. Everyone in there is Asian, fully tattooed, and 200+ lbs pure muscle. All the servers are female in the shortest short skirts and tank tops. They might as well just have been wearing underwear.

I'm a 140 pound white dude with little muscle and no tattoos. Literally everyone stared at me few a minute or two when I entered. I had a pretty big deer in headlights moment. I sat down and the menu was mostly alcohol. Once everyone started ignoring me I left pretty quickly.

Shwqa has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Oct 15, 2014

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Shwqa posted:

So cafes are usually a mellow environment where I can get some work done. While I was visiting my fiancee's family, I yelped the nearest cafe.

This place was not shady looking at all from the outside except for the 4 ATMs in front of it. Each machine was in use. I got inside and are hundreds of flat screen TVs on the walls each with different sporting events. There are gambling arcade machines on most the tables. Everyone in there is Asian, fully tattooed, and 200+ lbs pure muscle. All the servers are female in the shortest short skirts and tank tops. They might as well just have been wearing underwear.

I'm a 140 pound white dude with little muscle and no tattoos. Literally everyone stared at me few a minute or two when I entered. I sat down and the menu was mostly alcohol. Once everyone started ignoring me I left pretty quickly.

Wuss.

e; I was one of the guys staring at you and you cost me 5 thousand Won for leaving so quick

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

AlmightyBob posted:

In Japan maybe

I'm reasonably sure that in Japan it's a pretty low-paid job for secondary school girls.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Shadoer posted:

The way it's been described to me is that it's a way for people to feel "dominant" over a person and have every need of yours taken care of, but are too squeamish to say get smashed at a strip bar or something.

So whereas a stripbar you can pay for a lap dance, at a maidcafe you can apparently pay a maid to stare "longingly into your eyes".

If you want to feel dominant over people you have literally the entire retail and service industry. Just be like the rest of America and cuss out a cashier over 5 cents.

Shadoer posted:

Oh god, looking at that tumblr page is like having acid thrown right into my eyes. It's hideous.

Did find the "meet the Maids" section though. Love some of these profiles:

Catgirl maids are super loving ironic considering their origin can be traced back to ghost stories of cat people that would disguise themselves as maids and courtesans so they could kill and eat people.

Subjunctive posted:

I am virtually certain that people would do it for free, or indeed might pay to do it. Possibly not the people you'd want, though.

Yeah, I have a friend who worked for an anime con and once and their volunteer maid cafe was staffed almost entirely with cornfed white girls trying to pretend they were kawaii gothic lolitas.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Okay, trap sprung.

I've actually visited a maid cafe in Japan. Specifically, Maidreamin' in Akihabara. While it was an amusing lark with decent food, there is a huge difference between "novelty attendance" and "regular customer." Even in Japan, these things don't seem exist outside of otaku neighborhoods, and it was very obvious that even there, it's a marginal business. It wasn't particularly packed in spite of being in a neighborhood that's a 24/7 anime con, and only a few people really seemed to be into it. Everyone else basically seemed to be business men looking to get drunk in a different place than usual, and otaku who decided to go out rather than grab food at a family restaurant or a convenience store. Maybe one or two folks seemed like regulars.

As such, even if the cafe from this kickstarter was staffed with actual anime characters, it has to be pretty marginal proposition in Edmonton. If the real deal seems marginal, I can't fathom it working outside of that context at all.

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW

Ultraklystron posted:

Okay, trap sprung.

I've actually visited a maid cafe in Japan. Specifically, Maidreamin' in Akihabara. While it was an amusing lark with decent food, there is a huge difference between "novelty attendance" and "regular customer." Even in Japan, these things don't seem exist outside of otaku neighborhoods, and it was very obvious that even there, it's a marginal business. It wasn't particularly packed in spite of being in a neighborhood that's a 24/7 anime con, and only a few people really seemed to be into it. Everyone else basically seemed to be business men looking to get drunk in a different place than usual, and otaku who decided to go out rather than grab food at a family restaurant or a convenience store. Maybe one or two folks seemed like regulars.

As such, even if the cafe from this kickstarter was staffed with actual anime characters, it has to be pretty marginal proposition in Edmonton. If the real deal seems marginal, I can't fathom it working outside of that context at all.

I bet everyone who goes to the maid cafe thinks they are the funny guy whos doing it ironically to laugh at the nerds

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ultraklystron posted:

Okay, trap sprung.

Maid cafes are also old hat. Isn't the latest Japan nightlife craze that Robot Girl Bar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdWHmd41_nc
(Japan.mpeg)

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Young Freud posted:

Maid cafes are also old hat. Isn't the latest Japan nightlife craze that Robot Girl Bar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdWHmd41_nc
(Japan.mpeg)

Well, I did see a promo truck for that bar constantly looping around Shinjuku. Didn't know what it was for until now though.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Owl cafes are the real deal.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They're a real hoot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Picking up the Anonabox from a page ago:

http://www.dailydot.com/politics/anonabox-accusations/

:munch:

Hahaha all the images are just photoshops of things on chinese websites:

http://imgur.com/a/oRPde

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 17:02 on Oct 16, 2014

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
^^
So like most tech kickstarters then these days?

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Zaphod42 posted:

Wow, those pictures really solidify the case.

Anyway here's the Kicktraq of the project:
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/augustgermar/anonabox-a-tor-hardware-router/#chart-daily

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Meatwave posted:

Wow, those pictures really solidify the case.

Anyway here's the Kicktraq of the project:
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/augustgermar/anonabox-a-tor-hardware-router/#chart-daily

CURRENT PLEDGE LEVEL: 7979% of goal

TRENDING TOWARD: $3,710,477

:eng99:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I don't get it. So many Kickstarters have been "Redistribute poo poo from Alibaba" and succeeded in spite of their boldfaced honesty about it, what's to be gained by lying about your product?

Edit: I mean, OBVIOUSLY nobody gives a poo poo, this was a guaranteed slam dunk from day one.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I don't get it. So many Kickstarters have been "Redistribute poo poo from Alibaba" and succeeded in spite of their boldfaced honesty about it, what's to be gained by lying about your product?

Edit: I mean, OBVIOUSLY nobody gives a poo poo, this was a guaranteed slam dunk from day one.

Because sometimes assholes when proven wrong refuse to admit that they're assholes and double-down on whatever stupid lie they're peddling. And then people who were duped by the rear end in a top hat usually even come to defend the rear end in a top hat because they don't want to look foolish by admitting they got scammed.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Did anyone from that reddit thread in that article ask the creator to explain this butt photoshop job?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I don't get it. So many Kickstarters have been "Redistribute poo poo from Alibaba" and succeeded

My god, Kickstarter is rapidly becoming Etsy.

Brb, starting my Steampunk Antique Octopus Pendant kickstarter.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zaphod42 posted:

From the article:
"...serious concerns have since been raised about the product, and it now looks likely that Kickstarter will suspend the crowdfunding campaign."

When has Kickstarter ever suspended a hugely successful campaign simply because the project in question was accused of being shady? Granted they can't use the same "we didn't have time" excuse they used for not pulling the sexual assault guide, but I could just as easily see Kickstarter do the whole well if people felt they were being scammed they were free to cancel their backing before it ended and we're only an intermediary, pass-the-buck, poo poo that seems to be the new craze for them, Uber, Lyft, ArBnB, and the rest of the new vulture tech industry.

Maybe they'll act just because of how utterly blatant this Kickstarter is, but "I'm selling this cool new thing (that you can buy off amazon for half the cost)" isn't new on Kickstarter at all.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Anyone ever figure out what happened to Tumblr: The Videogame (I can't remember the actual title)

Basically every single character was non-white, non-standard gender and sexual identities and there was not really anything more than a bunch of silly artwork for the project. Whatever happened to it?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Noyemi K posted:

Anyone ever figure out what happened to Tumblr: The Videogame (I can't remember the actual title)

Basically every single character was non-white, non-standard gender and sexual identities and there was not really anything more than a bunch of silly artwork for the project. Whatever happened to it?

Was it the genderbender game? Because it's on Steam.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Spaced God posted:

Was it the genderbender game? Because it's on Steam.

Nonono, it was some silly fantasy RPG. Well, a bunch of art for a silly fantasy RPG.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Noyemi K posted:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-arkh-project?locale=fr

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Being a bit naive on these matters, I Googled 'maid cafe' and Wikipedia tells me....

:barf:

Ear cleaning is a pretty intimate Asian thing to do fwiw. It's at the level of cleaning and clipping nails. They also have a different type of earwax which makes it marginally less gross.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Thank you.

Checking out their tumblr, the project has indeed fallen victim to "designing is so much more fun!" I can guarantee they'd have gotten a lot more funding if they'd have put a very small prototype together (which they promised, but, a year hence, have not delivered.)

Or maybe it was a scam. Who knows.

edit:

quote:

When we’ve procured a strict design, we’ll do a second fundraiser wherein we’ll attempt to raise all the money necessary to complete the game. Without that completed, it’s hard to get an accurate estimate of either time or cost, so it’s necessary before moving forward. We will likely use the same company that did our 3-D model as they’ve expressed interest and can handle the art side and the programming side, which is ideal for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

isn't "the art side and the programming side" the entire goddamned game?