Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Jerkface posted:

You're confusing 'games make me want to hurt people' with 'the media we consume every day changes the way we perceive our world'. The latter is undoubtedly true. If you glorify stuff in your media enough it becomes normal and expected.

If you're young enough to be influenced by the game maybe you shouldn't be playing a mature rated game? Nobody with any mental acuity is going to play this and go "Huh, maybe a military-police force is a good thing!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

If you're young enough to be influenced by the game maybe you shouldn't be playing a mature rated game? Nobody with any mental acuity is going to play this and go "Huh, maybe a military-police force is a good thing!"

You don't understand how things work and maybe need to stop posting now and hopefully forever.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

You don't understand how things work and maybe need to stop posting now and hopefully forever.

good rebuttal man. I'm going to go play some more call of duty and then write my congressman about how we should really be murdering more brown people!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I can't imagine how anyone who has ever played an online game ever can think this will happen.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Firmware 2.0 details:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/16/ps4-system-software-preview-usb-music-player-new-home-screen-colors-more/

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

Actually, I think getting offended at anything in videogames is silly, that's just especially so.

Video games are a huge form of artistic expression now and are gaining a global legitimacy. With that kind of exposure comes criticism and differing emotional reactions. It's absolutely not "silly" to be offended, especially when this art form has such a bad history of pandering to the lowest common denominator. Don't get me wrong, I've been playing video games for 26 years, but I'm not going to pretend like video games are just for white teenage males anymore.

I don't think any developer should stop their artistic vision no matter how tasteless it may be, but I also don't think criticism or negative emotional responses should be trivialized.

I mean, how many years have we had asian prostitutes in videogames saying the most stereotypically offensive poo poo? I can't put enough roll eyes to express my feelings when I come upon that in a video game.

But needless to say, the militarization of police and the violence they inflict upon citizens is something you'll hear more and more about over the next decade. It's been a growing problem since the crack epidemic in the 80's, so it's nothing new, but it's gotten to the point that people are finally speaking out about it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

PantsBandit posted:

Actually, I think getting offended at anything in videogames is silly, that's just especially so.

What would make you think this? Video games are media. Media is designed to make you feel emotions and that means that games can hit wrong notes because they touch too closely to real life. In Hardline's case, it is a stark reminder of the events of Ferguson, which hits a little close to home for me.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

quote:

Content Area and Library: PS4’s Content Area, which shows the latest games and apps a PS4 owner has used, has been redesigned to help make it easier to quickly find and access content. It now shows 15 of a player’s most used apps or games, and additional items will be added to a player’s Library. The Library on PS4 has improved filter and sort functions to help organize contented by type (game / app / TV & video), name (a – z or z – a), recently used, or install date.

Finally. Now just add DLNA sony :argh:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Having played inFamous and now Shadows of Mordor, I have to say every game needs a photo mode.

I'm looking at you, Bloodborne.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

a cop posted:

Finally. Now just add DLNA sony :argh:

At least there's some sort of support for playing your own music in the background. Baby steps I guess. Maybe in 3.0.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

EC posted:

Having played inFamous and now Shadows of Mordor, I have to say every game needs a photo mode.

Yeah but just like everything else in the souls series, going into photomode wouldn't pause the game.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

YEAHHHHHHH, USB music player to use during gameplay!
Screw needing to subscribe to music unlimited now.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

holy poo poo I'm retarded

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Ularg posted:

Yeah but just like everything else in the souls series, going into photomode wouldn't pause the game.

Real Photo Mode Starts Here.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

What would make you think this? Video games are media. Media is designed to make you feel emotions and that means that games can hit wrong notes because they touch too closely to real life. In Hardline's case, it is a stark reminder of the events of Ferguson, which hits a little close to home for me.

Because the whole point of videogames is escapism. They're fantasy. Everything is going to offend somebody. So I guess what would be more accurate is to say that yeah, you can be offended, but I don't see the point in acting like there is something wrong with this game in particular.

Unless of course you're going to say that any videogame with darker themes should be met with the same criticism.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

PantsBandit posted:

Because the whole point of videogames is escapism. They're fantasy.

Just like films, tv shows and books right.

I'll admit I'm more in your camp but you can't really state it's one way or the other definitively. People enjoy things for different reasons.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

RIP Suspend and Resume like PS3 party chat you are gone but not forgotten :japan:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

a cop posted:

Right. I don't see people getting up in arms when Jack Bauer shoots witnesses in the face. It's just dumb fun.

But yeah, this is my opinion. So.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

People who watch 24 tend to think torture works and is good when all evidence is to the contrary so yea jack bauer be loving society up. Also where is the escapism when you live in a world with militarized police and then go play your militarized police glorification simulator?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

Right. I don't see people getting up in arms when Jack Bauer shoots witnesses in the face. It's just dumb fun.

Different people have different life experiences and traumatic events are you look like a dick when you trivialize that. I know someone who had a very very negative reaction to Twin Peaks because of Leo's domestic abuse. There's a reason she had that reaction, and while I found escape in that TV show and love it because of it's surrealism, she did not and trivializing that is a total dick move.

There are a lot of people who have been victims of police and police brutality. Trivializing that is really lovely.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

No release date is pretty disappointing and makes me think it's taking longer than they expected. The USB Music Player is super exciting though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm glad they added that exact same color as the piss christ shade of yellow from one of last year's PS3 updates to the theme choices.

The USB player really is awesome though.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

a cop posted:

I'll admit I'm more in your camp but you can't really state it's one way or the other definitively. People enjoy things for different reasons.

Nope, video games can totally affect people like all other media. I remember feeling kind of lost and sick while watching Apocalypse Now. Something about that movie just felt heavy and noxious.

I'm just trying to understand the difference between innocents dying in the third world and at home. And the difference between killing cops in Payday okay while it being 50/50 in Hardline not okay.

Then again my original point was that it was weird to see someone complain both about the subject matter of Hardline in one sentence and go "Well Hardline isn't that much of a Battlefield game anyway". There's just kind of a dissonance I couldn't quite get.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

People do criticize Jack Bauer and 24 for being a right-wingers wet dream though.

Also, just saying "everything is going to offend somebody" doesn't mean you go out and make the worst poo poo imaginable. Not to mention it over-simplifies the issue because there is a real threat and critique of the over militarization of the police forces in the country.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Because the whole point of videogames is escapism. They're fantasy.

It's frankly pretty rude to tell other people what their video game experiences are supposed to be--not everyone is looking for an escape from their life when they turn on a game--but let's run with this. If video games are supposed to be escapist fantasy, then you should be able to understand when someone says that a game's content is too strong a reminder of some ugly part of reality for them to enjoy it. If you or someone you know has been in any way harassed or abused by militaristic police, or if you just care deeply about the problem, you might have a hard time enjoying the "fantasy" of Hardline. Of course, this is subjective. Likewise I wouldn't give a veteran poo poo for not being able to enjoy a military themed shooter.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

So is the USB update just for USB sticks I am guessing? I wish it had Ipod functionality or some kind of MP3 player functionality, but I guess I will take what I can get.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

PantsBandit posted:

haha!

Anyway, I guess I'll spend $15 for a 128gb flash drive so I can stream chill music over chill games when I'm relaxing. Even though a console made over a decade ago could stream music over my network over any game. No, I'm not bitter. I'm really not, I just think it's dumb.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Apparently PSN maintenance is happening right now? How loving hard is it for Sony to use their notification system right there on the dashboard to let us know this? Or an email? Do they have a single competent person working in their PSN division?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

blackguy32 posted:

So is the USB update just for USB sticks I am guessing? I wish it had Ipod functionality or some kind of MP3 player functionality, but I guess I will take what I can get.

If you still have the option to use your iPod like a hard drive I don't see why plugging that into a USB port would behave any differently.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vic Boss posted:

There are a few unlocks in GZ that I think may transfer over into PP. How they'll transfer (if at all), I'm not sure.

- Complete "Jamais Vu" on Normal and Hard to unlock two Raiden skins (for use in this mission).

- Complete "Déjà-Vu" on Normal and Hard, recreating all 7 scenes and answering all of the trivia questions at the end correctly to unlock two Snake skins (for use in this mission).

- Complete all missions on Hard to unlock a remix of Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner.

Oh I had heard that the prisoners you rescue in gz will be in your base at the start of pp

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

We have had multiple political officials use 24 as justification for torture. It is actually pretty gross and lovely.

Like, in this case, your opinion is actually demonstrably wrong. People in power have literally cited 24 to try to get people to support their viewpoint.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Did the PSN update add the ability to shoot cops or minorities or wtf is going on with this thread?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

People do criticize Jack Bauer and 24 for being a right-wingers wet dream though.

Also, just saying "everything is going to offend somebody" doesn't mean you go out and make the worst poo poo imaginable. Not to mention it over-simplifies the issue because there is a real threat and critique of the over militarization of the police forces in the country.

At the same time, a Supreme Court Justice cited 24 as a positive example showing how information can be obtained as a defense of Guantanamo. Like, his argument was essentially "It works on TV, so we'd be stupid not to do it in real life".

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

At the same time, a Supreme Court Justice cited 24 as a positive example showing how information can be obtained as a defense of Guantanamo. Like, his argument was essentially "It works on TV, so we'd be stupid not to do it in real life".

Yeah, but its best if we just ignore everything that Scalia says.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It's pretty cool that people in this thread can talk about video games on a deeper level than just Dumb Fun without everyone getting bent out of shape.

But what I am getting bent out of shape over is trying to unlock the final stage of Pix the Cat, because I feel like I'm pretty good at this game and I still can't hit the threshold to unlock Dessert. I'm cool with the score trophies being nearly unattainable, but come on, levels should not be locked away this hard. There's no alternate unlock method for this stage either.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, but its best if we just ignore everything that Scalia says.

Oh, absolutely.

But at the same time, that's basically one of the guys running the way we determine laws and stuff, and if THAT guy can't tell the difference between TV and real life, especially when it comes to stuff like torturing prisoners of war, then it kinda puts a damper on the argument that media doesn't have an effect on people.

Which it demonstrably does, by the way. The entire idea of advertising is proof of this.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Sprat Sandwich posted:

RIP Suspend and Resume like PS3 party chat you are gone but not forgotten :japan:

Lol yeah this is never happening. Oh well.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

EC posted:

I keep trying to play with this but we somehow managed to blow the surge protector the PS4 is on twice in 30 minutes last night. Fate, and air conditioning, are against me on this one. :(

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Suspend and resume is the best Vita feature imo, it'd be incredible having it on the PS4, loving Sony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Lol yeah this is never happening. Oh well.

It's a pretty forward thinking move since in a few years games won't be able to paused anymore because everyone will want to be online like Destiny and Dark Souls.

• Locked thread