Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

It really is mindboggling that someone came up with an idol group composed of elementary school girls called "Girlfriend" and thought "Yeah, that's a great idea!"

I'm actually going to do you all the service of C/Ping the article so nobody has to go to that site.

quote:

A junior idol group with members as young as 6 has banned one of their fans “for touching and monopolising” one of the girls at an event.
Junior idol group “Girlfriend,” whose 4 members range from 6 to 11, was holding a barbecue event for fans when one of the attendees began touching the body of one of the girls and monopolising her time, all prohibited conduct according to the event’s rules.
The fan in question reportedly knew such conduct was banned, and was unrepentant when confronted by the group’s handlers – prompting them to take the radical step of banning him from future events.
The group’s management has apologised to fans, members and parents for “even the slightest discomfort” they may have experienced as a result of this. No involvement from the authorities is apparent.
Similar groups have also recently come to public attention for “dakko-kai” – hugging events in which paying fans get a chance to touch up the girls in various notionally innocent games:

Online there is far more concern about other aspects of the group:
“Sounds more like a sex crime than a reason to ban him from the event…”
“Can’t really expect anything else when dealing with this kind of customer base.”
“Making elementary schoolers do this kind of work…”
“Just arrest anyone who goes there, problem solved.”
“Arrest the people who formed this group, you mean.”
“What are the parents thinking?”
“The guy who touched the girl is bad, but I think the adults who organised a skinship BBQ event with a 6-year-old are worse.”
“Parents, management, fans, all insane…”
“This is what the idol business is about!?”
“It’s OK to touch your girlfriend.”
“What the hell is this business about?”
“And what are the police doing?”
“I can’t believe they go on about censoring anime and manga when an industry like this goes completely unmolested.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gimnbo posted:

It really is mindboggling that someone came up with an idol group composed of elementary school girls called "Girlfriend" and thought "Yeah, that's a great idea!"

These are details I did not want confirmed.

loving HELL JAPAN

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Joshlemagne posted:

This isn't an anime thing it's just a general attitude toward female entertainers that Japan has. And it's cute how you say "more than one guy". Here's an article about a Japanese pop star who had to shave her head and apologize to her fans in a desperate attempt to save her career all for the heinous crime of having a boyfriend (yes, just one, like a normal person).

Ban all idol groups in Japan, Korea, etc. This is terrible. Otaku, as always, are the worst.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ninjasaurus posted:

Oh sweet Jesus. :suicide:

They're pushing it as much as they can get away with. You just know that if they'd be able to legally pimp out these girls (in a more literal sense), they would.

They really would. It's already at the point they literally invite pedophiles to come play twister with the girls, it's horrid.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 16, 2014

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

WickedHate posted:

They really would. It's already at the point they literally invite pedophiles to come play twister with the girls, it's horrid.

Anything to make a buck off the pervs that they market this poo poo to.

If you have to tell adult men ahead of time not to touch the bodies of little girls, maybe the event was a bad idea to begin with. Unless Chris Hansen is hosting.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Joshlemagne posted:

This isn't an anime thing it's just a general attitude toward female entertainers that Japan has. And it's cute how you say "more than one guy". Here's an article about a Japanese pop star who had to shave her head and apologize to her fans in a desperate attempt to save her career all for the heinous crime of having a boyfriend (yes, just one, like a normal person).

Yeah, it's just that we were talking about anime. Idol fandom is indeed far more horrifying, as is just about everything else about that industry.

Then again, someone green-lit Cross Ange and went 'yeah, this is what our following of giant robot fans want in our next series', so...

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Idol Fandom: why has nobody called the police yet?

quote:

“I can’t believe they go on about censoring anime and manga when an industry like this goes completely unmolested.”

That's...more an indictment of the idol industry than a vindication of all the creepy poo poo that shows up in certain anime and manga.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Idol Fandom: why has nobody called the police yet?

[quote] “I can’t believe they go on about censoring anime and manga when an industry like this goes completely unmolested.”[quote]

That's...more an indictment of the idol industry than a vindication of all the creepy poo poo that shows up in certain anime and manga.

I'm more focused on figuring out if I like or dislike that pun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ninjasaurus posted:

Oh sweet Jesus. :suicide:

They're pushing it as much as they can get away with. You just know that if they'd be able to legally pimp out these girls (in a more literal sense), they would.

I doubt that they would actually pimp them out. The way the fuckers in the Idol industry make money is through cockteasing thousands of insecure young men. If they pimped their idols out, then their career would be done after the first guy had sex, since it would destroy the entire delusion the other men have of the idol being their girlfriend.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

I doubt that they would actually pimp them out. The way the fuckers in the Idol industry make money is through cockteasing thousands of insecure young men. If they pimped their idols out, then their career would be done after the first guy had sex, since it would destroy the entire delusion the other men have of the idol being their girlfriend.

That's why you play pimproulete and oh gently caress this is awful let's talk about anything else.

HOW ARE THE TROPERS FAILING AT WRITING TODAY

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nah, the thing about idols being pure, untouched virgins is a giant fabrication. They just have to be discreet about who they pimp the poor girls out to.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth Walrus posted:

Nah, the thing about idols being pure, untouched virgins is a giant fabrication. They just have to be discreet about who they pimp the poor girls out to.

To the repressed CEOs of record labels?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Is it just me or is this thread getting way grosser than usual

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, it's just that we were talking about anime. Idol fandom is indeed far more horrifying, as is just about everything else about that industry.

Then again, someone green-lit Cross Ange and went 'yeah, this is what our following of giant robot fans want in our next series', so...
Us mecha fans have been in a dry spell of poo poo since Shin Mazinger. Not that there haven't been plenty of mech shows since then, they've just all been (often rapey) garbage. Aldnoah kind of took a step in the right direction, but the good old style of mecha might as well be dead. Killed by otaku and the Troper crowd that though Valvrave was good.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Today I learned far more about something that I assumed was just exploitative in the usual way about than I ever wanted to :catstare:. Like, I just assumed those idol groups were like the Asian version of Disney-manufactured pop stars.

I think I'm done looking at broken people for today.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

sweeperbravo posted:

Yeah, and it's not even about TV Tropes anymore. Knock it off, everyone; there's plenty of poo poo to go around without actively derailing the thread into it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Yeah, and it's not even about TV Tropes anymore. Knock it off, everyone; there's plenty of poo poo to go around without actively derailing the thread into it.

"I don't agree with Nambla, but..." is the worst possible way to start a statement.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

WickedHate posted:

"I don't agree with Nambla, but..." is the worst possible way to start a statement.
That paraphrase doesn't half do it justice.

quote:

Their history and goals didn't really fit me, but

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Gimnbo posted:

There is no aspect described in that article that isn't a terrible goddamn idea.

I really like the (assuming 2ch) comments quoted in that article. They hate this poo poo as much as we do:

quote:

“Sounds more like a sex crime than a reason to ban him from the event…”
“Can’t really expect anything else when dealing with this kind of customer base.”
“Making elementary schoolers do this kind of work…”
“Just arrest anyone who goes there, problem solved.”
“Arrest the people who formed this group, you mean.”
“What are the parents thinking?”
“The guy who touched the girl is bad, but I think the adults who organised a skinship BBQ event with a 6-year-old are worse.”
“Parents, management, fans, all insane…”
“This is what the idol business is about!?”
“It’s OK to touch your girlfriend.”
“What the hell is this business about?”
“And what are the police doing?”

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It is strange how the idol industry isn't so heavily criticised compared to the manga/anime industry. That's not to say they don't have enormous problems, it just so bizarre how the fictional stuff is heavily censored and restricted compared to actually exploiting real people.

On another note unless that sentence ends with "but I also believe we should move past the pitchforks and torches towards providing aid towards these sick fucks. So they stop being suck fucks.", he's probably another pedophile apologist.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Joshlemagne posted:

To be fair, the article says that even otaku thought this was going way too far.

Annointed posted:

It is strange how the idol industry isn't so heavily criticised compared to the manga/anime industry. That's not to say they don't have enormous problems, it just so bizarre how the fictional stuff is heavily censored and restricted compared to actually exploiting real people.

That may be because the idol industry (and a lot of other Japanese media, for that matter) is owned by the goddamn Yakuza.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have a hard time believing the Yakuza has THAT much control.

It's like saying "the reason why X bill passed was because the Mafia."

They really can't be that big a threat to control so much.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Anime is already reviled and has been for decades. People there see someone with an anime wallpaper on their phone and think they are a gross loser. Idols, comparatively, might be seen as better because it doesn't have years and years of cultural disdain already behind it, and so the public just isn't are aware of how hosed up it can get, while it's almost instinct to cringe at the sight of anime.

Chromius
Aug 5, 2014

Stays shiny, even in milk.

sweeperbravo posted:

Blame the child popstar group 'Girlfriend' which is tailored specifically to appeal to pedophiles. I'm just glad Disney hasn't gotten that desperate with their teen stars
...yet.

So getting back to tvtropes, they have a page for a male character that might have mommy issues and prefers an older woman but a female character that might have daddy issues and is attracted to an older man just doesn't exist according to troper logic.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

Chromius posted:

So getting back to tvtropes, they have a page for a male character that might have mommy issues and prefers an older woman but a female character that might have daddy issues and is attracted to an older man just doesn't exist according to troper logic.

''Please stick to examples where the older character is female. Preference for older men is not this trope.''

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Chromius posted:

Blame the child popstar group 'Girlfriend' which is tailored specifically to appeal to pedophiles. I'm just glad Disney hasn't gotten that desperate with their teen stars
...yet.

I'm betting that it did exist, but the page was so full of pedo poo poo that it got deleted.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I'm betting that it did exist, but the page was so full of pedo poo poo that it got deleted.

Wouldn't surprise me if was full of pedo poo poo, and raging about how all women are whores who only go for sugar daddies.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013

Burkion posted:

I have a hard time believing the Yakuza has THAT much control.

It's like saying "the reason why X bill passed was because the Mafia."

They really can't be that big a threat to control so much.

I dunno, I remember reading somewhere that in Japan the cops call beforehand to schedule their raids on Yakuza spots, so I mean, it might actually be that bad.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Pulsedragon posted:

I dunno, I remember reading somewhere that in Japan the cops call beforehand to schedule their raids on Yakuza spots, so I mean, it might actually be that bad.

Yeah, same goes for Sumo apparently. Once upon a time organized crime was a pretty big influence in North American politics (obligatory :quebec: joke here :v:), but circumstances like cold war paranoia erode that. That's not the case everywhere though.

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 17, 2014

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
The Yakuza, from what little I know, is basically one of the biggest examples of Japan's cultural preferences warping into deviancy. Japan is just so bent towards being polite, not making a scene, etc, that it's not illegal to actually be a Yakuza member, it's only illegal if you commit crimes as one. Supposedly, if a Yakuza does something severe like kill someone, the generally offered advice is for the member to turn themselves in and confess. That way, they can quietly commit a much larger variety of crimes, as long as they don't make a fuss over it.

I'll admit I know little about actual Japan, but I really hope as the years go on their isolationist and xenophobic mindset gets eroded by constant contact with the rest of the world. It sounds like half the time Japan is a miserable place to live because you happened to be born with the 'wrong' set of brain wiring.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cornwind Evil posted:

The Yakuza, from what little I know, is basically one of the biggest examples of Japan's cultural preferences warping into deviancy. Japan is just so bent towards being polite, not making a scene, etc, that it's not illegal to actually be a Yakuza member, it's only illegal if you commit crimes as one.

They have public offices and business cards.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 17, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

WickedHate posted:

Actual otaku in Japan can be the loving worst. (Site is :nws:, article is :nms:) As much as we mock the beliefs tropers have about Japan and the "age of consent is thirteen there" myth, the industry goes out of it's way to appeal to the lolicon crowd, and that's why anime is in such a disastrous state right now. Nearly everything is fetishy because that what rings money out of this niche audience of reclusive people that the rest of Japan holds in contempt. If you ever hear American geeks complain about The Big Bang Theory or something, you should tell them how goddamn good they have it compared to Japanese geeks, who have it a whole lot worse as far as public perception goes, and for the most part the industry thinks it can survive by appealing directly to them with all the moe loli trash they could ever want.

Would Japan be paradise for tropers? No, it'd actually a lot worse then it is here. But they aren't that different from Japanese geeks either. Creeps are creeps wherever you go, I guess.

I am pretty sure if someone in America openly paid money to play twister with a six-year-old a vigilante would shoot them in the head. And that'd be OK.

Chromius
Aug 5, 2014

Stays shiny, even in milk.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

TheHeadSage posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if was full of pedo poo poo, and raging about how all women are whores who only go for sugar daddies.
Let's dig a little deeper and see what we find. According to the discussion page for Likes Older Women that doesn't seem to be the case.

"SeptimusHeap posted:

"Liking older men" isn't a trope in and of itself. Certain versions are tropes and can get their own page.
And in the forums:

Madrugada posted:

Part of the reason a younger man preferring older women is its own trope, but a younger woman preferring older men isn't, is that socially, older men are often treated as still sexually attractive, in a way that older women generally are not (see Silver Fox), or desirable for some other reason — generally status or money

Raven Wilder posted:

There is an assumption in our society that the older a woman is, the less attractive she becomes. Therefore, a man who prefers older women is seen as rare and noteworthy. Society also assumes that women aren't terribly interested in how men look, but more interested in qualities like experience, wealth, and (emotional) maturity, which men usually acquire with age. Therefore, a woman who prefers older men is seen as perfectly normal and not worth commenting on.
It just seems like the guys on TvTropes believe that women are naturally attracted to older men so it doesn't need to be categorized.

Chromius fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 17, 2014

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Chromius posted:

Madrugada posted:

Part of the reason a younger man preferring older women is its own trope, but a younger woman preferring older men isn't, is that socially, older men are often treated as still sexually attractive, in a way that older women generally are not (see Silver Fox), or desirable for some other reason — generally status or money

Raven Wilder posted:

There is an assumption in our society that the older a woman is, the less attractive she becomes. Therefore, a man who prefers older women is seen as rare and noteworthy. Society also assumes that women aren't terribly interested in how men look, but more interested in qualities like experience, wealth, and (emotional) maturity, which men usually acquire with age. Therefore, a woman who prefers older men is seen as perfectly normal and not worth commenting on.
It just seems like the guys on TvTropes believe that women are naturally attracted to older men so it doesn't need to be categorized.

This baffles me. I know TVTropes are sad shut-ins but drat TVTropes are sad shut-ins.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How much you want to bet Madrugada was talking about herself in that spiel about "Older women being unnattractive and therefore not Tropeworthy"?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So I haven't been following in a while. Did that Armageddon War let's read thread ever happen?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

sweeperbravo posted:

This actually explains a lot of TVTropes' creepiness to me: they're the lite version of the Japanese otaku creeps, and they're taking the Japanese industry's creepy pandering as reinforcement for themselves. Combine it with the "anime is the greatest thing ever" and "Japan can do no wrong" mindsets and a hugbox where the creepiness can't be called out as being creepy, and you've got something very similar to the creepy stuff in Japan, minus the creepy Japanese Idol poo poo.:gonk:

It's actually a little depressing, since this is one thing TVTropes isn't just making up; the creepy pedo-pandering exists, and is intentional.:pedo:

I used the word creepy a lot in this post. I probably should have used it less more because holy poo poo why are you pandering to pedophiles Japan, why?:stonk::gonk::stonk::suicide:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 17, 2014

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

fade5 posted:

I used the word creepy a lot in this post. I probably should have used it less more because holy poo poo why are you pandering to pedophiles Japan, why?:stonk::gonk::stonk::suicide:

The invisible hand of the free market likes little girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Gimnbo posted:

The invisible hand of the free market likes little girls.

It's not so much invisible in this case as it is tattooed and missing a pinky.

• Locked thread