Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

The movie was great, the remade tv show will be even better!
:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wandle Cax posted:

Six Degrees. I don't think a single one of the "Lost clones" from a few years back made it to a second season. The Nine, Invasion, Surface, Flash Forward etc.

I really liked Invasion and Surface too :(

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Surface was just meh, but Invasion really seemed to have potential. Much more so when I read what the plan was for the next two seasons, including some fairly severe changes of premise as the story evolved and the bad guys turned out to be more alien than evil.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Wandle Cax posted:

Six Degrees. I don't think a single one of the "Lost clones" from a few years back made it to a second season. The Nine, Invasion, Surface, Flash Forward etc.
Six Degrees was good though. Shame it got canceled and had to burn off its episodes online.

I don't really file it under as a Lost clone though.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I only ever made time for Invasion but drat did they drag their feet at times, from what I remembered.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Sober posted:

I only ever made time for Invasion but drat did they drag their feet at times, from what I remembered.

Invasion is a perfect example of a show that would have been really great if it only had to do 13 episodes instead of 22.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

smg77 posted:

Invasion is a perfect example of a show that would have been really great if it only had to do 13 episodes instead of 22.

And maybe did not star Eddie Cibrian

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Sober posted:

I don't really file it under as a Lost clone though.

It qualifies from the "every character is connected to other characters" standpoint. Around the time it aired it was definitely reviewed and publicized as being inspired by and following in the footsteps of Lost in that sense.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

less laughter posted:

It qualifies from the "every character is connected to other characters" standpoint. Around the time it aired it was definitely reviewed and publicized as being inspired by and following in the footsteps of Lost in that sense.
Really? I guess so but I really only recognize Lost clones as "hey we have this huuuuuge mystery and we're gonna spend 22 episodes teasing it out because reasons".

I thought Six Degrees was just an interesting character drama with that conceit that they literally were one degree of separation away most of the time, which doesn't seem really impossible to me given it took place in NYC.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There was also that one about a bunch of people who were taken hostage in a bank robbery and every episode was about one of them and had a flashback to the robbery. They just kept making that one bank robbery more elaborate and confusing by piling more and more poo poo into the flashbacks. It was like they diagnosed Lost's big problem in a month's worth of episodes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CobiWann posted:

I just learned that Iron Chef, the original Japanese version, was streamed on Netflix!

I also just learned that it’s no longer on Netflix.

All the Japanese episodes are on YouTube anyway.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Jack Gladney posted:

There was also that one about a bunch of people who were taken hostage in a bank robbery and every episode was about one of them and had a flashback to the robbery. They just kept making that one bank robbery more elaborate and confusing by piling more and more poo poo into the flashbacks. It was like they diagnosed Lost's big problem in a month's worth of episodes.

The Nine

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

kaynorr posted:

Surface was just meh, but Invasion really seemed to have potential. Much more so when I read what the plan was for the next two seasons, including some fairly severe changes of premise as the story evolved and the bad guys turned out to be more alien than evil.

Do you remember anything about this? I really liked Invasion.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

USA has the pilot up for Benched

Eliza Coupe still gots it

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Yeah I watched it last night. Pretty funny and a good cast (for those of you who are pissed about not getting Phil and Lem back in your lives from Mission Control, Jay Harrington/Ted is in this!). I'm curious how they're going to sustain the premise, but I look forward to more.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's her special ability that makes her an amazing lawyer that lives in a sunny clime?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I know we're supposed to not be talking about movies, but this is a movie about a TV show (and it was aired on BBC and not in theaters) so don't hit me :ohdearsass:

Holy Flying Circus is a weird little semi-historical re-enactment of Monty Python's guys reacting to their movie Life of Brian being controversial, and is a weird, kind of good little thing that has the most creepily accurate Python impersonators I have ever imagined. Seriously, at moments it was hard to NOT believe I was actually watching Palin, Cleese, and Terry Jones (and to a lesser extent, Eric Idle, Graham Chapman). The guy they got to play Terry Gilliam was really goofy and bad though.

It's on Hulu and pretty much worth a viewing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holy Flying Circus is directly related to TV (plus it actually aired first on TV) and it's pretty great. People should definitely watch it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was very drunk when I watched it last night so I didn't want to give it too high of a recommendation in case I was, well, just drunk.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Do you remember anything about this? I really liked Invasion.

I just realized that the elaborate plot stuff I remembered was for Threshold, not Invasion.

Invasion was probably even better, largely because of William Fitchner. It had an extremely strong sense of place and the creepiness that goes along with not only could you be replaced by a pod person, but maybe you already had and didn't know it.

While on the subject, I just want to mention that while it didn't blow my doors off, I ended up liking The Event more than I thought I would, largely due to the way they ended the season. None of this secret invasion poo poo, we're dropping another planet into orbit and y'all are just going to have to deal with it. Jason Ritter is just so likable and Laura Innes came off as someone who isn't really human but Would You Just Do What You're Told Please?

kaynorr fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 16, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hot on the heels of the HBO announcement, CBS is now doing an ala carte streaming option.

http://deadline.com/2014/10/cbs-launches-subscription-streaming-service-852895/

quote:

It’s called CBS All Access, and it will offer streams of broadcasts from the 14 stations that the network owns, as well as VOD for “thousands of episodes from the current season, previous seasons and classic shows,” the company says. It’s available today at CBS.com as well as iOS and Android apps for mobile devices.

I've said before that HBO going streaming only will be the dam break that causes other networks to follow suit.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

bull3964 posted:

I've said before that HBO going streaming only will be the dam break that causes other networks to follow suit.

It kinda defeats the purpose of 'cutting the cord' if you're going to be forced to subscribe to six+ streaming services (and cable internet) just to have access to the same amount content as a basic cable package.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

It kinda defeats the purpose of 'cutting the cord' if you're going to be forced to subscribe to six+ streaming services (and cable internet) just to have access to the same amount content as a basic cable package.

Nah it's just basically an ala carte service that you pay by the channel for.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If you watch enough TV to need to subscribe to six streaming services, then cutting the cord probably isn't the right move.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Irish Joe posted:

Not if you can still get those six+ streaming services with a fiber backend for cheaper than $150/mo.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah it's not an ideal replacement for having to pay for an expensive TV package for most people, but it's a really important step towards a glorious all-digital future or something that even starts to approach a la carte service. We've come quite a long way from the dark days when networks wouldn't even let you watch their shows on their own websites and an HBO exec being quoted as saying that he thinks streaming TV is a passing fad.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
This -- each network/company trying its own streaming service -- was pretty obviously going to be the next step once they saw how successful Netflix (and to a lesser extent, Amazon and Hulu) would become with original programming added to their dockets.

We'll probably follow this rabbit hole for a while until some of them go the way of Verizon/Redbox Instant and realize it's not quite the easy profits venture they'd hoped it'd be.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also as long as I don't have to pay for a sub and still watch ads.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Or pay for a sub and then it's down like when a new episode of Game of Thrones hits.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Also as long as I don't have to pay for a sub and still watch ads.

I honestly don't mind the ads on TV shows on Hulu Plus. They take up 60 seconds, which is just long enough to refill water/wine/weed. It still beats having to pay $60 or more a month to Comcast and also having to keep up with a DVR.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
All I want to do is watch live tv on my phone. This is all I ask. No sneak peeks, no bloopers, I just want to watch a channel, commercials and all without all the extra bullshit.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Hot on the heels of the HBO announcement, CBS is now doing an ala carte streaming option.

http://deadline.com/2014/10/cbs-launches-subscription-streaming-service-852895/

Episodes are available day after they air, which is what they were already doing for free at CBS.com

Also there are ads.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The entire point is that it doesn't require a regular TV subscription, which is kind of a big deal.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

VDay posted:

The entire point is that it doesn't require a regular TV subscription, which is kind of a big deal.

Then again, neither does an antenna.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

VDay posted:

CBS is a free-to-air channel in pretty much every market.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NBC has a put pilot order for another bite at a The IT Crowd remake.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I remember the first attempt. Yikes.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Will Richard Ayoade still be involved?

Richard Ayoade must be involved.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Then again, neither does an antenna.

My antenna still can't do on demand.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Deadpool posted:

CBS is a free-to-air channel in pretty much every market.

Yeah, but if you don't own a television at all (those people do exist) being able to stream your local TV station live could be a big deal. As well as being able to catch up on old episodes as if you had a DVR without paying for the DVR every month.

Or you can use it to get the Big Brother Live Feeds! :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mo0 posted:

Yeah, but if you don't own a television at all (those people do exist) being able to stream your local TV station live could be a big deal. As well as being able to catch up on old episodes as if you had a DVR without paying for the DVR every month.

Or you can use it to get the Big Brother Live Feeds! :suicide:
CBS only owns 16 CBS stations and they're the only ones who would get live local streams.

• Locked thread