Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The only way this game can grab me is if Fortress Crab is a figurine. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Count Bleck posted:

The only way this game can grab me is if Fortress Crab is a figurine. :colbert:

Hedron Crab figurine :smugbert:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Kraken Hatchling. :zoid:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

It really irks me that the cards' abilities are similar to, but not quite the same as their Magic equivalent. Titanic Growth giving +2/+0?

Also drat you Wizards, bring back Dreamblade.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Amen to that. Dreamblade looked awesome. Everything was so weird and cool.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Also what is up with that weaksauce frame? I guess it's just a placeholder.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Those are all just placeholder playtesting cards, right?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yeah those look like paper to me, I doubt those are the final cards.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

The game doesn't come out until Fall of next year, so I'm sure everything is pretty temporary.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Veyrall posted:

Amen to that. Dreamblade looked awesome. Everything was so weird and cool.

Dreamblade was fun the few times I played it but it never really hooked me.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Kind of an out of date question, but how does Champion work if you Champion a Champion? Will it return the first card, or will it get "buried"?

I want to say it goes... play an elf
Champion an Elf (elf is exiled)
Champion a creature (Champ. Elf is exiled, elf returns)
Champ.Champ dies, Champ. Elf returns and requires you to exile elf.
Champ. Elf dies and elf comes back?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Gensuki posted:

Kind of an out of date question, but how does Champion work if you Champion a Champion? Will it return the first card, or will it get "buried"?
Champ1 comes in, you exile Guy. Guy is exiled until Champ1 leaves play.
Champ2 comes in, you exile Champ1. Champ1 is exiled, Guy comes back into play.
If Champ2 leaves play, Champ1 will come back into play. You will have to exile something else or sac Champ1.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Gensuki posted:

I want to say it goes... play an elf
Champion an Elf (elf is exiled)
Champion a creature (Champ. Elf is exiled, elf returns)
Champ.Champ dies, Champ. Elf returns and requires you to exile elf.
Champ. Elf dies and elf comes back?

You have three dudes, A, B and C. B and C have "Champion a guy".
A is in
B comes in, exiles A
C comes in, exiles B
B's "leaves the battlefield" trigger happens, puts A back in

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
If you have Leyline of Singularity out and you play 2 Mistbind Cliques, can you champion a Mistbind Clique with a Mistbind Clique or do you sacrifice it first? For some reason I can't remember if the Champion a Faerie goes on the stack or not.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Why the gently caress are standard decks costing 500-800 dollars to build? I already have all the cards but that is insane.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

If you have Leyline of Singularity out and you play 2 Mistbind Cliques, can you champion a Mistbind Clique with a Mistbind Clique or do you sacrifice it first?

You sac first, it's a state-based action, whereas the champion one is a triggered ability. Also, if you sacrifice the one that's already in play when the second one comes in, you still need to exile something or sac the second one as well.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Tonetta posted:

Why the gently caress are standard decks costing 500-800 dollars to build? I already have all the cards but that is insane.

What Standard deck costs 500-800 dollars?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Tonetta posted:

No one wants the value of the set to decrease yet so all the prices are stupid.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tonetta posted:

Landsbases are absurd and mythics aplenty.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

If you have Leyline of Singularity out and you play 2 Mistbind Cliques, can you champion a Mistbind Clique with a Mistbind Clique or do you sacrifice it first? For some reason I can't remember if the Champion a Faerie goes on the stack or not.

You would have to sacrifice one of the Cliques as a state based action.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

I really want to empty quote this because I'm curious how we've reached legacy prices.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Angry Grimace posted:

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1217978

Abzan midrange.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I really want to empty quote this because I'm curious how we've reached legacy prices.

I thought legacy was like 5k?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1218101 this, for starters

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

There are a couple legacy decks on the cheaper side. Like Burn.

Burn's only like 400. Or was, and then Onslaught fetches got reprinted.

Looked back at Theros Block's ridiculous white colored cards I vowed to avoid white for two years.

Unless it was Weenies.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

This is the PT winning deck 1 week after the PT of course it will be expensive. It is at its total peak.

But, all the theros cards in that deck were 20-50% cheaper not 5 weeks ago. Also all the ktk cards in that set will be 20-50% cheaper by new years. $800 is not a really accurate figure.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

2k tops maybe, for shardless BUG, which was the most expensive deck around the time TNN was released, using TCG medium - wastes, forces, fetches, and duals were all upwards of $100, as well as cradle, but a good chunk of any legacy deck also barely goes over $10.

Fetches have gone down a bit by now.

Vintage can hit the 5K range but I'm not sure about that either.

Also of course alpha duals and poo poo like that is $1k+ but thats kind of ridiculous.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Sickening posted:

Three color legacy decks are 2-3k. There are plenty of decks that can be competitive for around 1k, but stuff that plays 12 blue dual lands, fetches, and so on goes over 2k. I'm not sure any deck is 5k... maybe lands?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Vital Signs posted:

Three color legacy decks are 2-3k. There are plenty of decks that can be competitive for around 1k, but stuff that plays 12 blue dual lands, fetches, and so on goes over 2k. I'm not sure any deck is 5k... maybe lands?

Miracles before the fetch reprint, and Lands I think, yeah.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

Miracles before the fetch reprint, and Lands I think, yeah.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5/178371-tier-legacy-decks-lists-prices-etc-update-july

Going off TCG mid BUG delver can hit 4.5k while everything else barely reaches over 3.5k. This is from july, so it's before fetches.

Miracles is actually pretty low since it's not running Trops or U. Seas.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5/178371-tier-legacy-decks-lists-prices-etc-update-july

Going off TCG mid BUG delver can hit 4.5k while everything else barely reaches over 3.5k. This is from july, so it's before fetches.

Miracles is actually pretty low since it's not running Trops or U. Seas.

Fair enough.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

This is the PT winning deck 1 week after the PT of course it will be expensive. It is at its total peak.

But, all the theros cards in that deck were 20-50% cheaper not 5 weeks ago. Also all the ktk cards in that set will be 20-50% cheaper by new years. $800 is not a really accurate figure.

This is really disingenuous. The notion proposed was that standard decks are worth $800 right now, and the fact that they were not $800 a month ago or will not be $800 in a few months doesn't keep that notion from being true. Like you don't look at the retail price of a game and say "well that price is inflated, when it goes on sale you can buy it for less so the retail price isn't the REAL price of it."

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

This is my standard gr monsters deck. Its cost is right at $500. It should have 2 sarkhans so it is probably closer to $550-575 but I refuse to get a $40 standard planeswalker that doesn't look to be playable in other constructed formats.

9 Forest
6 Mountain
1 Rugged Highlands
4 Temple of Abandon
4 Wooded Foothills
3 Crater's Claws
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Genesis Hydra
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
4 Polukranos, World Eater
3 Xenagos, the Reveler
4 Stormbreath Dragon
Sideboard:

1 Crater's Claws
2 Destructive Revelry
1 Setessan Tactics
3 Arc Lightning
1 Bow of Nylea
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Nylea's Disciple
2 Arbor Colossus
1 Hornet Queen

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Cool, 20% cheaper by new years, when some of those cards will be replaced by insanely overpriced cards from the next set.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Tonetta posted:

This started at least 2 years ago with the reprinting of shocklands. Thragtusk Jund, various Naya, Junk Reanimator, etc. all were priced in this range if you didn't buy cards when they were cheap. In other words, it's usually the manabase's fault. Notable exception to prove the rule: JtMS Standard.

Prices are soaring in anticipation for Game Day and GP Los Angeles, but something is going to give sooner or later.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Tonetta posted:

Agreed, it's ridiculous but realistically what is the answer?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I wouldn't mind a card like Hero's Downfall being uncommon (maybe w/ a bit of life loss to compensate), for one.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Alris posted:

Agreed, it's ridiculous but realistically what is the answer?

Make mythics more splashy and ridiculous and less 4 of constructed staples.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Make mythics more splashy and ridiculous and less 4 of constructed staples.

Wizards is in the business of selling booster packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Sickening posted:

Wizards is in the business of selling booster packs.

No poo poo. They also reprinted a bunch of stuff to make modern more accessible and standard is now hitting modern prices. Something will have to give eventually.

E: I think they've gotten too good at making playable planeswalkers. It used to be like one of per deck except for superfriends type control decks and now just regular midrange decks run 2-3 walkers. Or it could be that wedge decks are being pushed right now. Weren't devotion decks fairly cheap? The more colors you play the more good cards you have access to and the more expensive the manabase is.

Also Abzan is basically all rares or mythics. It has no good common or uncommon utility cards really.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 16, 2014

• Locked thread