Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Fremry posted:

Also, I don't know if I just didn't notice it before, but ddp.nintendo.com has a big disclaimer at the top saying that the promotion ends December 31, 2014. I know that this has already been talked about, but people were wondering if Nintendo was going to extend it into 2015.

I'm going to assume that with such a prominent banner on the site, the promotion is not going to be extended.

I was also hoping they would extend it, someone is going to throw a huge fit about the expiration this December even though that's been the date since the Wii U was released.

After I buy Costume Quest 2 that will put me at $30 in rewards back, I never planned on going digital but assumed there would be more $10-$15 titles. Too bad the Wii U eshop is finally getting better when the promotion is ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

davey4283 posted:

When did you do it? It takes time to populate.

About 2 hours ago now. Under products it shows the wii u as registered but under coins i only have credit for the games ive registered so far.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Keystoned posted:

About 2 hours ago now. Under products it shows the wii u as registered but under coins i only have credit for the games ive registered so far.

It can take up until the next day sometimes, don't stress it yet.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

I was also hoping they would extend it, someone is going to throw a huge fit about the expiration this December even though that's been the date since the Wii U was released.

After I buy Costume Quest 2 that will put me at $30 in rewards back, I never planned on going digital but assumed there would be more $10-$15 titles. Too bad the Wii U eshop is finally getting better when the promotion is ending.

I have 96 points until my next code, and there's nothing I want on there. I'm hoping something will come up before the end of the year so I can get there.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's nothing you want on eShop til the end of the year?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Pomp posted:

Egoraptor parachute spotted

gently caress egoraptor.

Ocarina of time is a legit bad and ugly game even when it was released. Majoras' mask is better but only slightly. Wind Waker is actually legit amazing which is why it's on the best next gen console, the Wii U. TP is MUCH better than OoT but is pretty boring. SS is lol.

A Link Between Worlds loving owns and is a reason I'd really like a 3DS boy player.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

A Link Between Worlds loving owns and is a reason I'd really like a 3DS boy player.
Link Between Worlds is a system seller-level game. That's the best Zelda I've played since Link to the Past, and maybe the best in the series. I dug Wind Waker but no other 3D Zeldas really grabbed me.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

gently caress egoraptor.

Ocarina of time is a legit bad and ugly game even when it was released. Majoras' mask is better but only slightly. Wind Waker is actually legit amazing which is why it's on the best next gen console, the Wii U. TP is MUCH better than OoT but is pretty boring. SS is lol.

just buy a Super 3dsXL when it comes out if you don't have a 3ds yet and link worlds to your heart's content

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I am amazed that there are people itt legitimately trying to claim that Twilight Princess is a better game than OoT (even at release, no less). What the gently caress goons

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

There's nothing you want on eShop til the end of the year?

I'm not into buying full releases on the eShop. I'd rather buy the physical disc and sell it later. Other than that, there isn't anything smaller or on the VC that I want right now, and of the little that's been announced, none of them are speaking to me either.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

njsykora posted:

You mean by having them?

Yeah.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Fremry posted:

I'm not into buying full releases on the eShop. I'd rather buy the physical disc and sell it later. Other than that, there isn't anything smaller or on the VC that I want right now, and of the little that's been announced, none of them are speaking to me either.

Hyrule Warriors or Mario Kart DLC? affordable space adventures?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

SRM posted:

Link Between Worlds is a system seller-level game. That's the best Zelda I've played since Link to the Past, and maybe the best in the series. I dug Wind Waker but no other 3D Zeldas really grabbed me.

It really is. It's one of the few games I really got hooked on and didn't put down until I finished it - I haven't done that in a long time.

As much as people bitch about lazy remakes, if they re-used the engine and pumped out remakes of the Game Boy games I wouldn't hesitate to buy them. It's pretty much the idealized form of 2D Zelda gameplay. (This applies to LTTP as well, but that would be somehow lazier since the game is pretty much an upgraded maphack of LTTP to begin with)

Or hell, resurrect the Four Swords franchise with online play.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

Hyrule Warriors or Mario Kart DLC? affordable space adventures?

I really do not like musou games, I already bought all of the MK8 DLC, and affordable space adventures may be one, but I'd like to see reviews.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Water levels are good and Donkey Kong is richer for having them. Get out of here with that poo poo.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I haven't done a pure underwater level in Tropical Freeze yet but from what I've experienced, the underwater controls are really good.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
I haven't played DKTF yet, but it's hard to imagine the water levels and underwater controls in there being anywhere near as good as those in Rayman Legends, just because those were so absolutely loving awesome and perfect.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Rayman Legends wishies it could it could even come close to how good Tropical Freeze is in every aspect :colbert:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

PrBacterio posted:

I haven't played DKTF yet, but it's hard to imagine the water levels and underwater controls in there being anywhere near as good as those in Rayman Legends, just because those were so absolutely loving awesome and perfect.

Thanks for the irrelevant opinion.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Tatsuta Age posted:

I am amazed that there are people itt legitimately trying to claim that Twilight Princess is a better game than OoT (even at release, no less). What the gently caress goons
Ocarina of time has lackluster dungeons, poor use of it's items, a lot of boring annoying time wasting fetchquests and plotblocks, a huge waste of potential with the ocarina and it's music save for the three tracks everyone remembers, the least fleshed out world of the 3D series, select camera problems, unfortunately finnicky lock-on, a whole bunch of non-characters and story that is just slightly more interesting than the princesses from LttP, and has the worst boss of the 3D zelda games so far: Volvagia.

TP has some of the same problems but it has some great locales, bosses, item usage, dungeon design, story ideas, music tracks, and has the added benefit of using the perfected Z-targeting from Wind Waker.
It also has the best companion of the series bar none.

edit; Master Quest fixes the dungeons in OoT, to be fair. If you want to play OoT for the first time, definitely do Master Quest.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PrBacterio posted:

You're correct. Rayman does it a lot better.

Though really TF's problem with water levels has less to do with not having great controls and more to do with having really boring or bad level design. Making an entire level full of samey water levels was a really bad choice.

The game is fantastic aside from that one world however, so it's still a game everyone with a Wii U should play.

Macaluso posted:

Rayman Legends wishies it could it could even come close to how good Tropical Freeze is in every aspect :colbert:

I like Rayman Legends more than TF because Rayman is fast and slick and challenging without being frustrating. TF is too grueling in sections, though they're still satisfying once you beat them. Basically, Rayman is the kind of game I might come back to every now and then to play through some of my favorite levels. But I'm never going to play TF again.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Though really TF's problem with water levels has less to do with not having great controls and more to do with having really boring or bad level design. Making an entire level full of samey water levels was a really bad choice.

The game is fantastic aside from that one world however, so it's still a game everyone with a Wii U should play.

Yeah, that world in particular really drags the game down. Not having water levels in Returns was a great choice and seeing them move away from that was a real bummer. It's still a great game though, don't get me wrong. If you have a Wii U and like platformers you should play it.

I'm really enjoying Hyrule Warriors despite not being that much of a Zelda nerd. It probably has the most attractive graphics, funnest variety of characters/moves and best spread of content of any Warriors game I've played. It's definitely still a Warriors game though, so I doubt it's going to change the minds of many people who hate that series.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 16, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

just buy a Super 3dsXL when it comes out if you don't have a 3ds yet and link worlds to your heart's content

I have 3 3DS consoles because they own.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

BFC posted:

Ocarina of time has lackluster dungeons, poor use of it's items, a lot of boring annoying time wasting fetchquests and plotblocks, a huge waste of potential with the ocarina and it's music save for the three tracks everyone remembers, the least fleshed out world of the 3D series, select camera problems, unfortunately finnicky lock-on, a whole bunch of non-characters and story that is just slightly more interesting than the princesses from LttP, and has the worst boss of the 3D zelda games so far: Volvagia.

TP has some of the same problems but it has some great locales, bosses, item usage, dungeon design, story ideas, music tracks, and has the added benefit of using the perfected Z-targeting from Wind Waker.

edit; Master Quest fixes the dungeons in OoT, to be fair. If you want to play OoT for the first time, definitely do Master Quest.

in what way was ocarina's music a waste of potential? Most of the series most beloved and recognized songs come from that game, and it has more songs the average fan could name than any other, I'd imagine.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I forgot the Master Quest was a thing with OoT. Is there any way it's playable other than some old GameCube disc?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Dr. Dos posted:

I forgot the Master Quest was a thing with OoT. Is there any way it's playable other than some old GameCube disc?

:filez: to play it on an N64 Emulator or OoT3D on the 3DS. Though that version is also Mirror mode for some dumb reason.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Austrian mook posted:

in what way was ocarina's music a waste of potential? Most of the series most beloved and recognized songs come from that game, and it has more songs the average fan could name than any other, I'd imagine.

I'd just like to say as mediocre as Ocarina is to me, the Gerudo Valley theme is easily top 5 video game songs

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
I never understood the appeal of Greudo Valley's music personally.

I like Forest Temple.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

BFC posted:

Twilight Princess has good use of its items? What?

"Oh man, this Spinner is super cool!" *never uses it again after the dungeon*
"Wow, the dominion rod is kinda neat!"
*Uses it to move one statue to advance the plot*

TP has great dungeons but the overworld is the worst. Hyrule Field is boring and empty, and the only use for most of the dungeon items is for finding hidden poo poo. The game is also stupidly easy. The end boss only does like 1/4 to 1 heart of damage per attack. Plus nobody likes the forced wolf sections.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Rayman Legends has better water levels than normal levels

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

BFC posted:

Spirit Tracks???

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Looper posted:

Spirit Tracks???

This is correct. Ghost Zelda is the best companion.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm still not sure what to think of Rayman Legends overall. On the one hand, I feel the levels were all absurdly tightly made and pretty much platform perfection which required skill from you without being aggravating. On the other hand it just sort of feels thrown loosely together. Something about the package as a whole feels unsatifying. It never felt like it was building to an end. It was simply a collection of levels that I played through until there were no more levels. While I guess most games are this when you break them down, most of them at least attempt to hide it behind something. When I beat the game there wasn't really a sense of anything. It was just sort of a "oh, I guess I'm done" moment as the credits rolled, which was a really odd feeling. It feels odd to dock a game whose levels are basically perfect for such surface level reasons but it still managed to take away from the game alot for me.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, that world in particular really drags the game down.

I'm playing through these stages right now and I'm of the same opinion. They really arnt that fun compared to the last 2 worlds. It's more of a pain in the rear end and a sense of 'alright, let me just get through this crap so I can enjoy the rest of the game'.

Dk water levels have always looked/sounded nice but I've always disliked playing them even back on snes.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Midna, like Tetra in WW, is a character that starts out really cool and gets less interesting as the game goes on (though Midna is much less bad than Tetra in this regard).

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Plus nobody likes the forced wolf sections.
False, I like them a lot. They're strong puzzle sections that tried their best to give the Wolf a purpose, even if the Wolf is probably the worst gimmick the series has offered. They also were great precursors to the towns/Lake Hylia giving a strong emphasis on knowing them front to back that was absent in every 3D Zelda but MM.

Oh also, just for posterity, the spinner was used outside of Arbiter's Grounds to get a few heart pieces and inside the Sky Temple to work the mechanisms to call up the bridges. That is nothing compared to your utter lack of memory of the nice scavenger hunt that used the Dominion Rod to find and move all of the statues scattered across the world, most of which you'd seen before or had the possibility of seeing before and wondering what they were all about. Honestly if anything pick on the Ball and Chain, it's almost entirely worthless outside of Snowpeak Mansion.

Twilight Princess isn't perfect but don't call it out on things that don't exist.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Austrian mook posted:

You may have misunderstood. He meant the ocarina, not Ocarina, and he did exempt those beloved tracks (let's see, Zelda's Lullaby, Saria's Song, Epona's Song, Song of Storms, maaaaybe Song of Time so possibly five instead of three?). As far as it being a waste of potential, I'd assume he meant that it was a waste of potential more as a game mechanic. The ocarina does serve multiple purposes, but it easily could have done a lot more, and both MM and WW show this. The majority of puzzle-solving with the instrument is "Oh look, a Triforce! Better play Zelda's Lullaby!" which is especially painful when you have to do it every time you want to change the water level in the Water Temple which is already an exploration-killing process in itself because you have to trek to a certain location and yadda yadda yadda.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Plus nobody likes the forced wolf sections.
I still do not understand this sentiment. Did you just not like playing as wolf Link? It's not like these sections are particularly tedious or anything, and they're (almost) always the very first time you visit an area.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 16, 2014

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

BFC posted:

Oh also, just for posterity, the spinner was used outside of Arbiter's Grounds to get a few heart pieces and inside the Sky Temple to work the mechanisms to call up the bridges. That is nothing compared to your utter lack of memory of the nice scavenger hunt that used the Dominion Rod to find and move all of the statues scattered across the world, most of which you'd seen before or had the possibility of seeing before and wondering what they were all about. Honestly if anything pick on the Ball and Chain, it's almost entirely worthless outside of Snowpeak Mansion.

The problem is there's maybe one interesting spinner track to ride on to get a heart piece, which is a legitimate complaint to have. Also the dominion rod is used for that quest and the Temple of Time but that's it.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

^ Not arguing that TP doesn't have some disappointingly underutilized ideas; Just that they weren't used in one temple and then completely forgotten about. I totally agree that they should have had more uses but I really do like how the Dominion Rod plays into some of the stand-out moments of TP. The Spinner, however, is so-so.

Gandalf21 posted:

This is correct. Ghost Zelda is the best companion.
Going to be completely honest with you: Really want to play more of Spirits Tracks entirely because of that reason. I retract my statement. Ghost Zelda is pretty cool.

Gwen fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Aurora posted:

The problem is there's maybe one interesting spinner track to ride on to get a heart piece, which is a legitimate complaint to have. Also the dominion rod is used for that quest and the Temple of Time but that's it.

Were I the one arguing this point, I probably would have said, "At least they aren't the longshot."

• Locked thread