Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Heads up for those interested, the Tamron 150-600 is really loving good for newbies like me. Performs nicely on a D5100:

img_0005 by barfish, on Flickr

More photos in the birds thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-snype posted:

Nope, just that every post contains a reference to it like it's some sort of magic bullet explaining away whatever we are talking about. I should start doing that. Imagine the fun we can have comparing stuff In PAD to things I have seen inserted into or removed from the human body violently! (I'm not gonna do that)

Please don't but actually maybe do if you're drunk or something and it's particularly apt.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Just had to send my month old D600 to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned/replaced :mad:

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

toggle posted:

Just had to send my month old D600 to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned/replaced :mad:

Hey, me too :hfive:

KatticusFinch
Aug 19, 2014

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Bottom Liner posted:

Here's my review of the d750:

It loving owns.

Agreed.

Also, all this talk of primes. Finally invested in one...never want to go back.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Here's a hands on review of the D750

http://www.rossharvey.com/reviews/nikon-d750-review

D750 underexposed

D750 pushed 5 stops

Comparison to 5D3

I shoot Canon and read Canon gear forums and, I'll tell you what, Canon users are losing their goddamn minds. Its insane.

Ffffuck. Doing post on some low light shots I took this weekend with a 5d2, combined with the incredible frustration at the repeated loss of focus, terrible shadow noise, I think I may just be a convert. Does anyone know how many of the AF points are -3ev sensitive?

sildargod fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 7, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

WugLyfe posted:

Anyone have a D600 with the shutter issue? How long did it take to get the camera back?

Took me about two weeks round trip when they replaced mine (which was before the official recall, so no idea if their methods have changed).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I sent mine for service a couple months ago and it took 5 days total, including ship time and time to repair physical damage caused by a drop and to clean the sensor.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Good to know it's better than Pentax's CS. They're still dragging their feet on a warranty replacement due in July.

BonoMan posted:

Took me about two weeks round trip when they replaced mine (which was before the official recall, so no idea if their methods have changed).

Supposedly they now replace the shutter with that of the d610. I bought knowing that this might be a thing, and I'm okay with waiting a little while for something that owns.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 7, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
They said they replaced my shutter (not just cleaned the sensor) on my action log, but I'm not sure if it was with the 610 or a different 600 shutter. It was RIGHT before the 610 was announced so who knows.

whsa
Apr 24, 2008
I bought a D610 in August and I sincerely wish I'd bought a used D800 instead. The focus in low light is annoying me and I sometimes wish i had focus points toward the edges of the frame.

I'm considering trading in for a used D800 with 30k actuations for around £300.

Anyone care to share their thoughts?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Good plan? The D800 is a better camera in every which way except for size and weight, I guess.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I like my d800 so :3:

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

SoundMonkey posted:

No reason, really.

A bit late, but this is a terrible comparison. They completely missed focus on the 80-200, you can see that the left edge of the photo is sharp, while in the 180 photo it's out of focus in that area. Maybe the 180 is better than the zoom, but there's no way to see that from this photo. I've found that this is pretty much universally true for test/comparison photos on the net. There's always missed focus, or motion blur or whatever.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ShadeofBlue posted:

A bit late, but this is a terrible comparison. They completely missed focus on the 80-200, you can see that the left edge of the photo is sharp, while in the 180 photo it's out of focus in that area. Maybe the 180 is better than the zoom, but there's no way to see that from this photo. I've found that this is pretty much universally true for test/comparison photos on the net. There's always missed focus, or motion blur or whatever.

This photo was taken by me. Both lenses were focused manually with AF-confirm. On a tripod. Even if I somehow hosed up focus, that doesn't forgive the purple.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

This photo was taken by me. Both lenses were focused manually with AF-confirm. On a tripod. Even if I somehow hosed up focus, that doesn't forgive the purple.

The color purple has been associated with royalty and such since the old testament. Excuuuuuuse Nikon for trying to add a little majesty to your photos.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SoundMonkey posted:

Even if I somehow hosed up focus, that doesn't forgive the purple.

Assuming you hosed up focus, it could be some longitudinal chromatic abberation.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I really love this camera's dynamic range.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Assuming you hosed up focus, it could be some longitudinal chromatic abberation.

If you'll take my word for it, I sperged out hard on it, it's not the focus. The 80-200 2.8 is an amazing lens and a great option for anyone who wants that range of zoom on a budget, but it can't even step to the 180mm f/2.8 ED-IF.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Is it acceptable to use off brand ede14 (I think that's the correct type) batteries instead of the official Nikon batteries? I want a backup battery or two for my D3100 but I'm unsure as to whether or not the cheaper alternatives will explode my camera or something.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you buy it from a decent 3rd party sure. I think wasabi and optek are well liked here, but someone echo has a
few will prob chime in.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Confirming Wasabi batteries are great, I have 4 of them for my Fujis their charger is nice as well. Anyone buying OEM batteries instead of a Wasabi 2 pack that includes a charger is insane.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5R2BQ9B0TVZEV8F

red19fire
May 26, 2010

SoundMonkey posted:

If you'll take my word for it, I sperged out hard on it, it's not the focus. The 80-200 2.8 is an amazing lens and a great option for anyone who wants that range of zoom on a budget, but it can't even step to the 180mm f/2.8 ED-IF.

Mine always had terrible focus, I was told by the camera shop that it's because the 80-200mm is from the film era and doesn't play well with modern digital. It was loose in the mount, so I might just have had a bad copy. K*Rock also says 'professionals don't care' about the shortcomings of that lens, so :cmon:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

red19fire posted:

Mine always had terrible focus, I was told by the camera shop that it's because the 80-200mm is from the film era and doesn't play well with modern digital. It was loose in the mount, so I might just have had a bad copy. K*Rock also says 'professionals don't care' about the shortcomings of that lens, so :cmon:

That sounds like a total load, which I'd expect if an employee of a camera store was saying it.

It was probably just yours, I've never had any issue with the mount (or anything else) being loose. Of course, the little button on the M/A ring... :mad:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I picked up a mint condition N2020 with an attached 50mm 1.8 non D lens (also mint) tonight for $50. I plan to ditch the body and keep the lens for my F100. Anyone have this lens? How does it perform?

The N2020 is pretty neat actually. The mid-late 80s were a weird mix between both manual and automatic designs.

:swoon:

It came with the original manual and sales receipt, too. $399. Gotta love people who keep their stuff in good shape.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

It's the same 50mm f/1.8 that Nikon has been making forever. It's a fine lens; there's really not much more to say.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I found a decently priced 105mm sigma lens on eBay, bought it, and just realised it doesn't have HSM. So no autofocus on my d3100. :suicide:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

'ey nikon thread, i'm focused on gettin a d800 for the full frame and AI friendliness, it still seems like from skimming the thread that the d800 isn't full of a lot of pitfalls/surprises and that it is a nice full frame camera with old lens compatibility

is this the case?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Go with the d750 unless you need billboard sized prints.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah I paid almost full retail gladly for mine but I'd grab a d750 if I were buying right now.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Go with the d750 unless you need billboard sized prints.

d750 looks v. nice, it looks like it will Suit My Needs

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I have a D750 and a D800 and the 750 is lovely. I don't see much reason to get the D800 over it unless you specifically need those extra megapixels.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

just read up on the 750 and goddamn that sensor

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

1st AD posted:

I thought news departments were firing their photographers and handing out high MP cell phone cameras to reporters anyways :v:

Hah, my paper stopped issuing cellphones... back before they had cameras in them. We had some lovely point-and-shoot that the reporters could check out if the story wasn't important enough to send a photographer. Now, of course, all the reporters have personal iPhones anyway.

Also, I got laid off from the fulltime staff position a couple years ago, they just have me come back as a contractor for football every season -- sports are one of the few things the reporter with an iPhone can't shoot.

Bottom Liner posted:

About half of my work is weddings, so a fast moving intense environment from 6-15 hours of journalistic shooting and I do just fine with primes. Give them a try, they don't limit you like you think.
I worked my way through college with manual-focus 28mm and 50mm primes and a 75-150mm zoom; for weddings/serious art/portraiture I'd totally use primes if my budget allowed. But for newsprint and halfassed "art" to post on tumblr, zooms, with all their problems, are good enough for me.

SoundMonkey posted:

It was probably just yours, I've never had any issue with the mount (or anything else) being loose. Of course, the little button on the M/A ring... :mad:
"My" 80-200 has a loose mount, but that's because it's 15 years old and belongs to a newspaper :v:

It's also entirely missing the little button on the M/A ring.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Traded in all my canon gear this weekend on a loaner D800 (waiting for my 750) and god drat.. that sensor. I am in two minds now whether I want to part with this beauty.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The D610 sensor doens't give up much aside from a bit of resolution.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

BANME.sh posted:

I picked up a mint condition N2020 with an attached 50mm 1.8 non D lens (also mint) tonight for $50. I plan to ditch the body and keep the lens for my F100. Anyone have this lens? How does it perform?

The N2020 is pretty neat actually. The mid-late 80s were a weird mix between both manual and automatic designs.

:swoon:

It came with the original manual and sales receipt, too. $399. Gotta love people who keep their stuff in good shape.

You should consider selling that 2020 to someone who has plenty of MF and AF-D lenses, but no 35mm F-mount options!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ever since we've had our first kid, my wife has been using my D600 for taking pics of her. She actually has an affinity for photography it turns out (and is in a sort of "what do I want to do with myself?" crossroads) and our anniversary is next weekend. I'd love to get her a starter DSLR. She likes my camera, and I'm not stingy with it, but she just is always afraid she's going to break it or something.

Is the D3200 the go to still?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Ever since we've had our first kid, my wife has been using my D600 for taking pics of her. She actually has an affinity for photography it turns out (and is in a sort of "what do I want to do with myself?" crossroads) and our anniversary is next weekend. I'd love to get her a starter DSLR. She likes my camera, and I'm not stingy with it, but she just is always afraid she's going to break it or something.

Is the D3200 the go to still?

The D3300 is out, so I guess that?

I love my D3200 and it's really helped me learn, so yeah, go for the D3300 I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kenshin posted:

The D3300 is out, so I guess that?

I love my D3200 and it's really helped me learn, so yeah, go for the D3300 I guess.

Ah, poo poo yeah the D3300. I was staring right at it. Comes in sexy "Red" too. nice.