Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bewbies posted:

Last night I retired my pants that have been in service since 1995. New pants are so tight and full of padding I don't even know. Since my old pants were so torn up and loose it was basically like wearing a skirt I think I have some getting used to on the horizon.

Pants are the worst, I've been using the same pair of Tacklas since bantams, on the 3rd or 4th set of pant covers on them even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tacklas are the only pants option.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How much faster do you skate in Tackla gear?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

15 years of stink is a hell of a motivator to keep moving as fast as possible.

edit:

Jaromir Jagr posted:

"It is exactly 24 years ago today I scored my first NHL goal. Those were the days, back then I had long hair, I was fast, and defenders were slow. Now: short hair, I'm slow, and defenders are fast...You can't stop time."

It's depressing that aside from one word that pretty much rings true for me as well.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 9, 2014

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

We picked up another player for our team. He has a fro mullet and his helmet doesn't even fit on his head. I am really excited about this season now.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Played center last night for the first time. We ended up doing 2 wing pairs and 3 centers do to the number of players we had (and 4 defense.) I had previously been playing at right wing with a game at left to see how the opposite position would feel. This is like the 7th or 8th game I've played keep in mind.

Positioning actually felt less on my mind than it had been as a winger. Playing wing I felt like I had a firm zone I had to stay in, from screening the goalie to the corners to the hash-marks. With that on my mind as a winger I was stopping and starting to keep position and find a spot to be open for a pass and have a shot attempt. As Center I never stopped moving and was able to go up and down the ice one or two more times before I got exhausted because I never had to get myself moving again. Question: Am I correct in assuming as a center I should pretty much always be closing in on the puck while on defense?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, the simplest way to describe it is the center is the third defenseman. Shadow the puck and support the defense where they need it.. if they get sucked below the goal, cover the crease. If there's a 1v1 battle in the corner, move in to help out. If you get lost and can't figure out what to do find the uncovered player and get on them.

Center is also important for the breakout, as you've noticed you're always moving so it's easy to read the puck and build up a head of steam out of the zone. This makes you a good target for a pass.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Meanwhile, I had a game at center yesterday and felt like I played the worst game of my life. Granted the whole team was playing awful and doing stupd poo poo like screening our goalie (with four guys). I mean, I'm not going to turn down swapping out from winger once in a while, but it was brutal.

Honestly, the guy we had in coaching made some weird positioning decisions. Last couple games we'd managed to have some pretty static lines despite being short players. He had defenseman up on the wings, wingers on D, and my default line had a sub who hates center and a woman with two games of experience under her belt.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Meanwhile, I had a game at center yesterday and felt like I played the worst game of my life. Granted the whole team was playing awful and doing stupd poo poo like screening our goalie (with four guys). I mean, I'm not going to turn down swapping out from winger once in a while, but it was brutal.

Honestly, the guy we had in coaching made some weird positioning decisions. Last couple games we'd managed to have some pretty static lines despite being short players. He had defenseman up on the wings, wingers on D, and my default line had a sub who hates center and a woman with two games of experience under her belt.

You have coaches?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Look Around You posted:

You have coaches?

It's an instructional league for adult beginners that have never played organized hockey, so yes. They also run clinics to try and beat some hockey sense into us newbies.

15 weeks, 8 or 9 games, the rest are lessons.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

The whole league setup is great, clinics actually teach you things, and the people are usually chill as hell.

It usually works out really well with the coaches on the bench, just not yesterday. We were getting out skated, out skilled (especially with the subs they had), and making tons of horrible mistakes.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
My league is a beginner league and I wish we had coaches, but I guess it's alright since I think only 1 person on each (4) team is actually a beginner. the "clinics" and "rookie practice" are pretty empty but essentially just full ice "do this" stuff.

In other words I feel like I might as well be playing in the lowest actual league and practice on the side for cheaper anyway.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

The instructors where I'm at switched from doing full ice stuff to cross ice wherever possible to get more reps.

I actually walked on to the hockey fundamentals tonight. Got some solid edge work and front to back pivot practice that I sorely needed.

Also got to superman like mad and push nets around. I'm crazy, I love pushing nets around. It gets such a good burn going in the legs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On my Thursday skates, I'm always that guy that goes for the net furthest from the zamboni doors. 90 minute skate, finish with a sprint to push the net across the ice as fast as possible.

I had at least three perfect scoring chances tonight, shanked all of them. I really need to figure out one timers. :mad:

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Also got to superman like mad and push nets around. I'm crazy, I love pushing nets around. It gets such a good burn going in the legs.

Have you done the thing where you get a friend/teammate to stand facing you holding their stick horizontally in both hands and dig in their skates, and you push them with your hands on the stick? I feel like the resistance is more consistent than a net since the net slides pretty well once it gets going.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I have. You just have to get someone who can get onto their edges.
I've also done the version of that where you're essentially wrestling with the other person.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Hey fellow Pittsburgh/Beaver D League goon who is not dms666: my team will be playing your team (15 Shades of Gray) tomorrow (e: technically today I guess, but I haven't gone to sleep yet so it's tomorrow for me)! If you want to be goony and stairs me (or be not goony and say hi like a regular person, whichever works better for you), I'll have on white chicago pattern socks and a black messier project helmet with blue highlights and no cage or visor on(because I don't like getting concussions). Hopefully we beat you guys because I'm pretty sure we've won 0 games this season.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 15, 2014

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Look Around You posted:

Hey fellow Pittsburgh/Beaver D League goon who is not dms666: my team will be playing your team (15 Shades of Gray) tomorrow (e: technically today I guess, but I haven't gone to sleep yet so it's tomorrow for me)! If you want to be goony and stairs me (or be not goony and say hi like a regular person, whichever works better for you), I'll have on white chicago pattern socks and a black messier project helmet with blue highlights and no cage or visor on(because I don't like getting concussions). Hopefully we beat you guys because I'm pretty sure we've won 0 games this season.

It's okay, we've only won one or two, I think.

I'll be the one NOT wearing gray, because this league is sort of a poo poo show and no amount of prompting from my captain was able to secure me a jersey from the league organizer.

I apologize in advance for the rear end in a top hat behavior some of my teammates are sure to exhibit.

One of them boarded dms66 pretty hard in the last game I played, ugh.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

bgreman posted:

It's okay, we've only won one or two, I think.

I'll be the one NOT wearing gray, because this league is sort of a poo poo show and no amount of prompting from my captain was able to secure me a jersey from the league organizer.

I apologize in advance for the rear end in a top hat behavior some of my teammates are sure to exhibit.

One of them boarded dms66 pretty hard in the last game I played, ugh.

It's not your fault if your teammates play like dicks, so I wouldn't worry about that. The jersey thing sucks, I sent emails and stuff to Lisa about 2 guys on my team who needed jerseys and I still don't think they have them. It may not be your captain's fault; sometimes they just don't get stuff like that done in this league for some reason.

Also hopefully you're not wearing white tonight because my whole team (save maybe 2) will be wearing white.

Also also that last post I made was super ramble-y and I maybe shouldn't post 5 minutes before I go to bed.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Look Around You posted:

It's not your fault if your teammates play like dicks, so I wouldn't worry about that. The jersey thing sucks, I sent emails and stuff to Lisa about 2 guys on my team who needed jerseys and I still don't think they have them. It may not be your captain's fault; sometimes they just don't get stuff like that done in this league for some reason.

Also hopefully you're not wearing white tonight because my whole team (save maybe 2) will be wearing white.

Also also that last post I made was super ramble-y and I maybe shouldn't post 5 minutes before I go to bed.

Woo grade 2 shoulder strain. Guy shoved me from behind when I was going in to the corner and fell shoulder first in to the boards, watch out for him, I think he had blue socks on.

Some of the issues with the league lately have been due to Lisa, who mostly runs it, has been in the process of moving. Also the ref who helps her with it tore his ACL so he can't really be at the rink until March. Either way it still hasn't been the greatest of leagues and the skill level seems to keep increasing.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Look Around You posted:

I'll probably put black on.

dms666 posted:

Woo grade 2 shoulder strain. Guy shoved me from behind when I was going in to the corner and fell shoulder first in to the boards, watch out for him, I think he had blue socks on.

Some of the issues with the league lately have been due to Lisa, who mostly runs it, has been in the process of moving. Also the ref who helps her with it tore his ACL so he can't really be at the rink until March. Either way it still hasn't been the greatest of leagues and the skill level seems to keep increasing.

Sorry about your shoulder, man. Like I said, I have no intention of re-upping in this league if I have to play with these guys again. Besides that boarding incident, there was all kinds of shoving and shouting and dumb posturing over imagined slights. I just want to play hockey and some of these guys are wasting my time trying to get into fights. The number of times I've heard, "If he keeps running his mouth I'm going to take him out" on my bench makes me kind of sick. (I should note that there are some good guys on the gray team as well. Just too many hockey d-bags for my delicate sensibilities).

I was wondering why there was only one ref in this league, guess I know now. To his credit, the one ref that there is seems like a pretty cool guy.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bgreman posted:

Besides that boarding incident, there was all kinds of shoving and shouting and dumb posturing over imagined slights. I just want to play hockey and some of these guys are wasting my time trying to get into fights. The number of times I've heard, "If he keeps running his mouth I'm going to take him out" on my bench makes me kind of sick.

This is literally every beer league ever.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It really is the reason why people do private drop ins.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

This is literally every beer league ever.

I play in a few leagues where this kind of shittiness is not tolerated. I wanted to get some more skating in in my traditionally hockey-light fall so I signed up for this league kind of further from the city on the recommendation of some friends. I do play in another league where there's a decent amount of assholes, but they're not on my own team there. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to hear someone on my bench screaming 'human being' at some kid on the other team because my guy gave the puck away.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

It really is the reason why people do private drop ins.

At our last private skate two guys who were actually pretty good friends dropped gloves and fought so

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A girl involved?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It seems like the top 5 guys in each of the leagues I play in are really really good skaters, but complete cheap-shotting assholes. It's a shame really.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only heard of one fight since I hooked up with this league in February.

But it was a doozy, with a goalie going paul bunyan with his stick and another player smashing heads into the ice. They got suspended for the summer, not sure what happened with the goalie but the skater managed to beg his way back in.

For the most part it's pretty mellow, everyone else is there to have fun. I mean some guys talk tough but it never goes beyond words.

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013

xzzy posted:

They got suspended for the summer, not sure what happened with the goalie but the skater managed to beg his way back in.

"You're suspended!"

"There are only 4 other goalies in the state."

"You're back in."

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Ironically, I'm thinking about getting back into beer league after a two year hiatus because of all the poo poo talking and general douchery.

I'd joint a private drop-in but for whatever reason those seem kind of hard to come by around these parts. At least for guys who didn't play midget.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i lucked into a pair of private drop-ins a few years ago. really glad because public drip-ins are about the worst thing ever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's three private skates I know of, but I see no reason to ask my way into one as I don't want to drag the skate down. :v: I'm having fun with the house league anyways.

One of them is a cool idea though, they call it 'good bad ugly.' They allow three lines of skaters per team, line one is guys who played AAA or college, line two is dudes who played some high school and move around okay, and line three is never-evers. Each line skates against their counterpart on the other team.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Those skates are really hard to fill evenly, but generally a good concept.

But why 3 lines? 2 is perfect.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know, I guess they liked the number of syllables. "Good and bad" just doesn't sound as fun.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A and B is what SoCal hockey uses. Works well.

Also a bunch of never evers started a drop in here and it's probably the most positive skate I've ever seen.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

RocktheCaulk posted:

Scored off a face-off today. Cleanest win I think I've ever had. Goalie wasn't even set yet at just said "Aw gently caress!" as the puck rolled between his legs. It was for the hattie as well. :feelsgood:

Are you my teammate? He did something similar the other day, not sure if it was for a hattie or not.

I'm back playing in a C league after not playing, other than pick-up, after 15 years or so. Back then it basic kids house leagues. I'm playing D, are there any good resources for pointers, etc?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

What tape does everyone use?

I used Renfrew for a long time because its always available, but I find that rolls don't age well: it gets hard to get the tape off the roll and come off easily.

I found some Howie's somewhere and gave it a shot. I really liked how it came off the roll and how it felt easier to get on stick without sticking to itself too bad. But it seems to be less durable: I could go forever with Renfrew not getting ripped or dinged up but the Howie's stuff has a bunch of tears and holes in it after a game or two.

Charlie
Aug 25, 2004

It passed through unharmed!
I use Renfrew. I end up re-taping every 1-3 games due to people stepping on my blade. I can't expect any tape to hold up to sharp skates underneath 200-ish pounds of beer-leaguer. In the rare case that it doesn't get cut after 2 seconds on the ice, it seems to hold up very well to pucks and the ice, though.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I retape every time I go on the ice because tape is cheap but sticks aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wrap my stick like a mummy so I only have to tape once a month or so.

I also put an extra strip on bottom edge of the blade near the heel, that spot gets the most wear so it gets extra tape just to buy more time.

As for brand, I've tried several and don't really notice any difference between any of them.