Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's possible if they have a cable subscription and can log into the WatchESPN app. Anything beyond that would probably be too complicated for them.

They do have a subscription, thank you for confirming, and I will be doing my damnedest to set each one up for them where the apps they would use will be in plain sight. I want them to use as few menus as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I'm looking for a non-apple tablet for general internet/multimedia uses, emulating old snes/cps2 era arcade games, and drawing/sketching. Other than the samsung note what are my options? I want one that uses a stylus with pen pressure that doesn't have a fat-nob tip. I know I could get a cintiq hybrid, but it isn't very portable.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Jeff Goldblum posted:

That said, what would be the best tablet for a pair of 70+ year old self-proclaimed Luddites?

Back in the day, I advocated an older relative get a Nook over a Kindle or any other e-reader solely for because they could drive to a Barnes and Noble and get assistance. I don't know if an Apple Store would offer the same benefit but I would probably look into that first. I do know my older relatives with tablets are really happy with their iPads and I don't have to help them with anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Macksy posted:

I'm looking for a non-apple tablet for general internet/multimedia uses, emulating old snes/cps2 era arcade games, and drawing/sketching. Other than the samsung note what are my options? I want one that uses a stylus with pen pressure that doesn't have a fat-nob tip. I know I could get a cintiq hybrid, but it isn't very portable.
Galaxy Note, a Surface, and some other random Windows 8 tablets are pretty much your only options if you have to have a good stylus.

GoodBee posted:

Back in the day, I advocated an older relative get a Nook over a Kindle or any other e-reader solely for because they could drive to a Barnes and Noble and get assistance. I don't know if an Apple Store would offer the same benefit but I would probably look into that first. I do know my older relatives with tablets are really happy with their iPads and I don't have to help them with anything.
Apple Stores absolutely have classes you can sign up for to learn how to use your device.

That said, Kindles Fire have that things where you can call up Amazon right on the device and they'll help you out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jeff Goldblum posted:

They do have a subscription, thank you for confirming, and I will be doing my damnedest to set each one up for them where the apps they would use will be in plain sight. I want them to use as few menus as possible.

If price isn't an issue iPads are def the simplest, and if not that then yeah, Kindle since they can use Mayday if they don't know how to do something.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

So I'm looking to grab a tablet in the next couple of days before I depart this fair land. No phone stuff, obviously. It doesn't have to be anything amazing; Internet browsing, Awful App, IMing, reading e-books, watching dumb sci-fi shows on Netflix, lightweight gaming (ideally something that could emulate older stuff as well), that sort of stuff. I give absolutely no shits about photos or anything else like that.

Currently looking at a Samsung Tab 3, a 2012 Google Nexus 7, or an Asus Memopad as good/affordable options in nearby stores. Any input, friend goons?

e; Nevermind, had to make the call today, went with the Samsung. I like it a lot so far!

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 13, 2014

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
I have an eye on this nvidia shield tablet.
It has much power for the future and a pen. The controller is no need to buy but you shuld buy the cover.
On the other side a Nexus 7 for example only with WLAN is really cheap and matches all your points. (my suggestion: take the nexus 2013 model with the camera on the backside. It's much more useful Nexus7 2012 vs 2013)

But keep in mind, end of this month google announced new tablets and smartphones.

So you can grab older tablets cheaper or a brand new technik demo, if you can a bit more wait, before you buy.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
I'm trying to help a friend pick out a tablet but there's just so many to choose from. IT'll mostly be for media (streaming video), browsing the internet, and facebook. Preferably sub ~$100 and Android; I see a bunch of them on Amazon for around ~$50-70 and I have no idea if they're any good or not.

Super Mario Shoeshine
Jan 24, 2005

such improper posting...

wooger posted:

You should pretty obviously wait for the Nexus 9 tablet, made by HTC, announced within a month (probably).

That or the Nvidia Shield tablet.

I mostly use Plex, Netflix and a set up Comic server along with some specialized apps that hog a lot of RAM. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, and while it was good while it lasted, i think i need a better resolution and more memory now. Not interested too much into games, because... android gaming as a whole is terrible with some exceptions. How much is the Nexus 9 going to cost? Ill have to import it i guess. Do you recommend me to go for a 8+ inches tablet?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rueish posted:

I'm trying to help a friend pick out a tablet but there's just so many to choose from. IT'll mostly be for media (streaming video), browsing the internet, and facebook. Preferably sub ~$100 and Android; I see a bunch of them on Amazon for around ~$50-70 and I have no idea if they're any good or not.
They're all terrible. You can get a Nexus 7 for $130ish on eBay, though, which would be much, much better for a variety of reasons.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rueish posted:

I've heard good things about Amazon's new 6 inch tablet for $99. You'll be in their walled garden but if all you care about is media/internet/facebook, it would probably be good enough.

They also a payment plan available for certain members where you can do five interest free payments instead of paying up front.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
http://www.google.com/nexus/9/

*sigh*

So no more 7" tablets. :(

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

topenga posted:

http://www.google.com/nexus/9/

*sigh*

So no more 7" tablets. :(

Weird, the Nexus 10 I bought ~2 years ago from Google isn't on the site anymore.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Love Stole the Day posted:

Weird, the Nexus 10 I bought ~2 years ago from Google isn't on the site anymore.

Neither is any other Nexus device they're not making/selling anymore.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I'm looking for a 7" current generation Android tablet that has full cell phone capabilities. Any recommendations? I've been googling for hours and haven't had a lot of luck other than the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, which is out-of-date. I'd prefer something with 4G at least.

Mexican Deathgasm fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 16, 2014

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I'm looking for a 7" current generation Android tablet that has full cell phone capabilities. Any recommendations? I've been googling for hours and haven't had a lot of luck other than the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, which is out-of-date. I'd prefer something with 4G at least.

Best bet is the '13 N7 with cellular. Honestly, they aren't geared for phone calls. With google hangouts you could now legit use it fully as a phone with VOIP 4G data, but I can't see it working well without a bluetooth connected. For better or worse tabs just are not engineered with phone calls in mind, just video chat.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Duckman2008 posted:

Best bet is the '13 N7 with cellular. Honestly, they aren't geared for phone calls. With google hangouts you could now legit use it fully as a phone with VOIP 4G data, but I can't see it working well without a bluetooth connected. For better or worse tabs just are not engineered with phone calls in mind, just video chat.

What's a '13 N7?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
2013 Google Nexus 7

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Love Stole the Day posted:

From there, no. In the play store under devices, all the old devices are there, just begging you to click "Add to cart." But what's this? THEY'RE ALL SOLD OUT (the N7 tablets anyway). And have been for ever. Bastards.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

2013 Google Nexus 7

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

2013 Google Nexus 7

Thanks for the info. But when I look up info on the N7, sites are saying that while it can do cellular data, it can't do cell phone calls.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Thanks for the info. But when I look up info on the N7, sites are saying that while it can do cellular data, it can't do cell phone calls.

No tablet does. You need to use Google Voice/Hangouts VOIP to make your tablet pretend to be a cell phone. I don't think any tablet has the guts of a phone built into it

EDIT: VVVVVVV Still need a phone

gariig fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 16, 2014

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

gariig posted:

No tablet does. You need to use Google Voice/Hangouts VOIP to make your tablet pretend to be a cell phone. I don't think any tablet has the guts of a phone built into it

I beg to differ.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
edit: Whoopsie.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

gariig posted:

EDIT: VVVVVVV Still need a phone

Tablets that work as phones are actually becoming a huge thing in Asia, and Samsung's Tab Plus tablets could make normal phone calls, but I don't think any of the current generation can. I just don't want to deal with two devices. I'd just use VOIP if there was a way to keep
my phone number.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tablets that work as phones are actually becoming a huge thing in Asia, and Samsung's Tab Plus tablets could make normal phone calls, but I don't think any of the current generation can. I just don't want to deal with two devices. I'd just use VOIP if there was a way to keep
my phone number.

You can keep your phone number with google voice.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've been using voice for years, I don't even give out my other number anymore. VOIP rocks socks

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
How much of a downgrade is 2013 nexus 7 16gb over the 32gb model? Will I be lamenting my decision and rueing the day I chose not no pony up the cash for an extra 16gigabutts? I've never had a tablet of my and I don't know how fast I'll run out of room.

Macksy fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 18, 2014

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It depends what you do with it. The extra 16 GB doesn't matter unless you want to install a bunch of media locally or multiple large games.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Don't hold me to this but you're looking at 12 gig usable and games are often over a gig. The old adage "buy as much memory as you can afford" still applies.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
My wife's old Samsung N110 netbook is dying, and she wants a tablet.
99% of the time used for web browsing/pdf browsing for crochet stuff while she's on the couch; she has a desktop PC for everything else.
I imagine essentially anything would work, and you'll all just say "just get a Nexus 7" before the price goes from "there's too many and they're a bit old" to "they're so old that we can charge crazy money for anyone that actually wants one"?

Alternately, if she thinks the 7" is too small, what's the best option for an 8.9 tablet?

edit: Is this the price point I should be looking at; http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Google-7-Inch-Black-Tablet/dp/B00DVFLJKQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1413681590&sr=1-3&keywords=nexus+9 $250?

Quad fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 19, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can get a Nexus 7 32 gb for under $200 on eBay. Depending on you budget, waiting for a Nexus 9 might not be a bad idea though.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Macksy posted:

How much of a downgrade is 2013 nexus 7 16gb over the 32gb model? Will I be lamenting my decision and rueing the day I chose not no pony up the cash for an extra 16gigabutts? I've never had a tablet of my and I don't know how fast I'll run out of room.

I focused on a used 32G N7 just so I could load 2 movies on it at a time (I commute 4+ hrs on a train once a week and need something to watch along with a bit of Nflx/Amzn streaming.) I think more space is worth it. I got my 2013 N7 for $160 on Ebay from a nice lady that only used it for 6 months. I've never owned a tablet before and this thing is a fantastic value. My only issue with most android devices is the default GOOGLE search bar at the top of the screen. Apex launcher is a good fix to get rid of it but still.......

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 19, 2014

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Amazon Warehouse Deals has/had a ton of N7 2013's over the weekend. Some were used, most (from Amazon) claimed that just the packaging was messed up.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011

topenga posted:

Amazon Warehouse Deals has/had a ton of N7 2013's over the weekend. Some were used, most (from Amazon) claimed that just the packaging was messed up.

Got a 32gb "Like New" condition for 170. Why not I suppose. When I played with the N7 in the store it felt too small to me, but I'll give it a shot. Worst comes to worst I can just sell it and get something else.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Does it really have to be 7"? Cause if not you could get one of many 6" phones with awesome screens and then it'd still fit in your pants!

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I was hoping the Nexus 9 would be reasonable, both its price and non-widescreen screen proved this wrong. Is the new Nvidia Shield a decent buy and will it get Lollipop?

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Just got my N7 2013 in. As advertised, the box just looked a little beat up. More like "hey this has been in a stockroom for a year". Flawless and snappy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Budgie posted:

I was hoping the Nexus 9 would be reasonable, both its price and non-widescreen screen proved this wrong. Is the new Nvidia Shield a decent buy and will it get Lollipop?

Unknown if it will get Lollipop, but I would bet it won't get great support on future updates in a year. If you want good access to software updates, always buy Apple and Google products.

I would agree with the N9 being disappointing price wise.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Budgie posted:

will it get Lollipop?

It's advertised as: "The NVIDIA® SHIELD™ tablet is ready for Android 5.0 Lollipop", and has pictures showing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I am looking for a simple tablet that I can use to take notes on for school. It would be nice if it could be hooked up to a keyboard somehow. I need something that can display PDFs and that has a nice stylus or pen system so I can take nice notes. It also should ideally be able to run Kindle and display my textbooks. I like my iPad except it doesnt draw as well. I tried a Windows surface but it doesnt have kindle for my textbooks, and it is a bit too fancy for me. Any suggestions?

edit: maybe a good combination tablet/laptop...like a laptop that is very lightweight that has a screen that I can easily write on?

EXTREME INSERTION fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 25, 2014