Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I tried installing from the app store, it told me I needed to upgrade because I was a beta user, installed beta 5 and then beta 6, then I tried the App Store install again and got this:

So I think I'm good.

The version numbers are different. Public beta 6 is 14A388b and release is 14A389. I just installed from the app store over the top of PB6 and it took maybe six minutes.

Anecdotally, I did a wipe and clean install of PB4 earlier this week to acclimatise and test some apps, and the main reason I chose not to just upgrade from 10.9 is that I rolled straight from final GM candidate into 10.9.1 and upwards but found over time that loads of odd bugs stayed present, such as some apps (Twitter, Evernote for example) refusing to store login details after quitting the app.

If somebody fancies checking to see if anything was changed between these minor revision numbers then by all means, but after a year of working around a minor, annoying bug or two I felt best to just give the minutes of my time over to be consistent with everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Jose Oquendo posted:

You need iOS 8.1 on your iPhone. SMS relay REQUIRES iPhone. Assuming you have that, go into the iMessage settings on your iPhone and you can turn it on. Make sure hand-off is turned on in your OS X settings.

That might explain it. I am on 8.0.2. I guess I have to wait for Monday then?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Avocados posted:

Yes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Avocados posted:

You can update to an 8.1 beta if you want. They latest one seems pretty stable, but do so at your own risk.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well that was a pretty painless update. Really loving slick. Time to finally set up iCloud Drive.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Cripes. It's tempting but I've never downloaded beta software before from Apple. This was pretty much my most anticipated feature from Yosemite. What's a few more days.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
So is mail.app any better with large gmail mailboxes in 10.10?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

When Mavericks was released, I read a few posts complaining of wiped or inaccessible Bootcamp partitions after upgrading, which put me off getting it. That and I didn't care about any of the features, so missing out wasn't a big concern.

For this one with the new look, I'd like to upgrade, so is that really anything to worry about?

e: Is all the Expose stuff still in there? I'm so used to my set up corners.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 17, 2014

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
1 day 8 hours left. drat temporary lodging internet.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

FYI, it looks like the iWork updates just hit in addition to iTunes 12.0.1.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Disheartening to see that in Finder using Cover Flow you can't select the first item that shows up in the top portion of the screen. I don't know the correct verbiage but if you use Cover Flow to view the contents of your Desktop - you won't be able to select the first file in the list until you click something else behind it first. I've only had a Mac for about 2 years but it's really intuitive to me when selecting an image to send as an attachment or something to click on a preview image in Cover Flow view.

I feel like Cover Flow isn't a very popular folder view option but it's there and I use it in certain folders. Easy for me to visualize what's there. That one little pet peeve always throws me off and feels like broken implementation, though.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
So public beta users need to use the full updater from the store front?

This implies that there is an update coming for the final version.

Apple posted:

How do I get a shipping version of OS X back on my Mac?
Always back up your computer before installing pre-release software. To get a shipping release of OS X on your Mac, you can simply install the final version of the software you are testing when it appears in Software Update. If you would like to go back to a previously released version, you must first erase the beta software, then re-install the latest shipping version of OS X, and finally restore from your Time Machine backup.

There is no Software Update anymore though, so that's a little confusing. I'm going on the assumption that they mean the update section of the app store, but that obviously could be wrong.

I really don't want to download another huge updater if I don't have to... My internet is stupid slow :(

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

echobucket posted:

NOTE: if you use homebrew or other things in /usr/local

https://jimlindley.com/blog/yosemite-upgrade-homebrew-tips/

Your install may take FOREVER.

Thanks for the heads up. Just did this and had a quick install.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

spongeworthy posted:

1 day 8 hours left. drat temporary lodging internet.

I had an Xcode update appear and it installed in seconds for 300MB, Yosemite is on a crawl.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So am I to understand that there are updates for Pages/Numbers/Keynote but not for iPhoto?

edit: Also, I can't get handoff working for email. I have multiple accounts on my Mac but only one on my phone. Could this be related? When I hand off an email from my Mac to my phone, I get the message "failed to continue activity."

brap fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 17, 2014

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

iPhotos is being replaced by 'Photos' which is coming early next year. It's going to match the functionality of the iOS Photos app for the most part.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
ugh, I'm getting kind of spotty UI performance on a 2011 Macbook pro with 10.10. Opening new tabs/resizing windows/mouse overs can produce pauses and short beach balls. The words of this post aren't keeping up with my typing.

Anyone else experiencing this?

edit: woops, It's probably because I turned on FileVault

passionate dongs fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 17, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Firstly, for a new OS, I was surprised at how fast all my services (menubar top right) that usually take forever, just kind of instantly were running.

Secondly: I have a mid 2010 iMac. I knew Hand-off wouldn't work, but I guess I assumed Airdrop would? But it is not... was I wrong? Or should it work?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How do I make a bootable installation disk for Yosemite?
  • Download Yosemite from the Mac App Store on any compatible Mac.
  • Format a USB drive with Disk Utility with the default volume name of "Untitled"
  • Open Terminal and run this command:
    code:
    [omg page breakage]
  • Wait a bit (can be up to 30 minutes on a slow USB drive) until the Terminal output states that the process is finished.
This can be used for clean installations or in-place upgrades.

It'll require the now-standard 8GB drive, I presume? I might have to pick one up on my way back from work.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Feenix posted:

Firstly, for a new OS, I was surprised at how fast all my services (menubar top right) that usually take forever, just kind of instantly were running.

Secondly: I have a mid 2010 iMac. I knew Hand-off wouldn't work, but I guess I assumed Airdrop would? But it is not... was I wrong? Or should it work?

I would imagine both use BTLE. So no, if one doesn't work the other one probably doesn't either.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Tippis posted:

It'll require the now-standard 8GB drive, I presume? I might have to pick one up on my way back from work.
The installer is 5.17GB or so, so yeah, 8GB.

Just finishing up my clean install now. Thanks, sxprt.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

Thanks, sxprt.
;-*

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

echobucket posted:

Ugh, I wish I saw this before. I have Homebrew with a ton of crap and Tex Live. Argh!

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Now it looks like GarageBand and iPhoto updates are up.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Is anyone having issues with Handoff and Pages/Numbers? I can get it to work with Safari, Contacts, Messages and I am sure a few others, but pages/numbers WILL NOT handoff. I've updated them, have handoff enabled but it just isn't working for these apps.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

echobucket posted:

I have ~4GB in /usr/local and it added maybe 15 minutes to the install time (I was watching the logs). I think you'd need a lot of poo poo in there for it to take 8 hours.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Is anyone having issues with Handoff and Pages/Numbers? I can get it to work with Safari, Contacts, Messages and I am sure a few others, but pages/numbers WILL NOT handoff. I've updated them, have handoff enabled but it just isn't working for these apps.

It's being weird for me too... I can handoff with Safari from my Macbook to my iOS devices and I can handoff between the devices themselves but I just can't handoff FROM my iOS devices to my Mac.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Make sure the document you're working with lives in iCloud. I just tested it and it worked.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Holy poo poo, they fixed the problem i was having with safari showing black images for large ones on imgur, and it's super fast too.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Jose Oquendo posted:

Make sure the document you're working with lives in iCloud. I just tested it and it worked.

Ah, probably the issue.

Edit : Yup, that's it.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Big City Drinkin posted:

I have ~4GB in /usr/local and it added maybe 15 minutes to the install time (I was watching the logs). I think you'd need a lot of poo poo in there for it to take 8 hours.

It's not the size but the number of files.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Dummy question but if I have iCloud Drive turned on, is there a place I can go like, look at my files?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Feenix posted:

I'm gonna be pretty bummed if AirDrop doesn't work on my 2011 MBP. Which it seems like it might not without BTLE support..

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Feenix posted:

Dummy question but if I have iCloud Drive turned on, is there a place I can go like, look at my files?

Launch a Finder window and on the Favorites sidebar there should be a folder for iCloud.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

echobucket posted:

It's not the size but the number of files.

Ah, I see. Well, if anyone wants a reference point, 112,213 files in /usr/local added ~15 minutes to the install.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Launch a Finder window and on the Favorites sidebar there should be a folder for iCloud.

Right on. And what about on my iPhone? Like if iCloud Drive shows a bunch of movie files? What would I use to see it on an iDevice?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So what's the definitive answer to those of us upgrading from GM3? Should we download the installer and run it in-place, or is Apple going to make something pop up in the Updates section of the MAS?

I'm downloading the 5 gig installer just to have it, so I guess run that?

edit: Looks like this worked like a charm.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 17, 2014

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Feenix posted:

Right on. And what about on my iPhone? Like if iCloud Drive shows a bunch of movie files? What would I use to see it on an iDevice?

As of right now, there's no regular ol' file picker for iCloud Drive on iOS. You have to go into an app that supports iCloud Drive, go into the picker there, and open the file you want. I really don't know why they didn't make an iCloud Drive app. It's a huge oversight. I know they like to keep it simple, but they already opened that can of worms with Yosemite. You can even go to iCloud Drive on the web and see everything so it can be done on a Windows PC.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!
Is Yosemite Server a free upgrade if you have Mavericks Server or do you have to buy it again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
These are permanently stuck here. Upgraded from Mavericks.

Also, on boot, with an external monitor, it will mirror the display and look terrible with weird scaling and letterboxing on the retina display until I log in. It also hijacked playing audio, routing it to the external display until I changed it back to the headphone port in audio settings. So far my opinion is that this operating system is a piece of poo poo.