Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jonny Angel posted:

Hey DoctorWhat, sorry to ask something that sounds kinda accusatory, but why do you choose that specific Doctor to cosplay? My understanding of him is limited to two facts: he has a ridiculous colorful coat (a good reason to cosplay him), and he apparently likes to choke women? (a good reason not to cosplay him)

As a matter of fact, you are NOT the first individual to accuse me of domestic-violence-apologia because of The Coat!

I am extremely aware of the loving garbage legacy of the Sixth Doctor's introductory story. I do not defend the decision to depict such actions, as some fans do, on the basis that it was "regenerative trauma". The Twin Dilemma, and the stories that follow, depict a horrendously tone-deaf and toxic relationship dynamic between the Doctor and Peri.

However, I became a fan of the Sixth Doctor via a series of audio dramas produced decades later, which posit a much-developed and "mellowed" character who expresses deep remorse for his behavior. (I am particularly looking forward to this winter's series of Six-and-Peri stories, which seem set to directly address those troubles.) So while I'd never try to excuse or defend Dilemma, I can at least honestly claim that my fannishness is DESPITE those loving abominable moments, not because of them.

Of course, defending the Sixth Doctor (who has a number of qualities that I find, to be honest, profoundly relatable and inspirational on a personal level, especially in his more recent, better-written appearances) isn't the only angle at which I could address this. For instance:

Do you accuse cosplayers of the Joker of similar callousness? The Joker, irrespective of the whole mass-murder thing, has a profoundly abusive relationship with Harley Quinn. Yet every convention I attend, I see numerous couples dressed as that pair. The psychosexual implications are troubling, to be sure - but odds are they're just not worrying all that much about it. And just talking about Doctor Whos, the Tenth Doctor at one point invades a woman's mind against her explicit, verbal protests, yet is portrayed as being justified in that action. Furthermore, I have, in person, gotten more poo poo this past NYCC alone about my costume choice than I've EVER seen aimed at fans/cosplayers of Noted Rapist James Bond. And I'm willing - nay, GRATEFUL - to take that poo poo, because it means that people are (rightfully) finding fault with the strangulation scene, and being socially conscious.

Of course the coat is loaded. The whole incarnation of the Doctor is loaded. I endeavor to represent the more positive qualities of Ol' Sixie, without ignoring or defending the - make no mistake - MASSIVE loving BAGGAGE the character carries.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jonny Angel posted:

Hey DoctorWhat, sorry to ask something that sounds kinda accusatory, but why do you choose that specific Doctor to cosplay? My understanding of him is limited to two facts: he has a ridiculous colorful coat (a good reason to cosplay him), and he apparently likes to choke women? (a good reason not to cosplay him)

The Sixth Doctor was, more than any other Doctor, a casualty of the shitstorm that is the people at the BBC who make Doctor Who. Ever Doctor is given poo poo scripts and awful productions at some point during their run, but during the Sixth Doctor's run there were people actively trying to kill the show and they basically succeeded even if it took a few years for the body to stop kicking. Whether that was the direct impetus behind the awful coat or the very ill-advised choking spell in the Sixth Doctor's pilot episode I don't honestly know, but I do know that the character was deliberately made as unlikable as possible.

And as has been said both the character and the actor who played him have been redeemed somewhat by various audio stories throughout the years. They even made him ditch the coat for a much more sensible blue number.

Having said all that, it's like you're asking why someone would cosplay as Hank Pym when he's a wife-beater when anyone who actually follows the character and doesn't live by memes knows that the whole "wife-beating" thing was one panel in a 70s comic and has only come up again as a perverse joke when writing alt-universe versions. It's that old "sheep-fucker" joke in action.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Jonny Angel posted:

Terrible. Forcing this little girl to be a poster child for smoking, age-inappropriate relationships, Stalinism, marital infidelity, social isolation, bisexuality (well, at least we're moving beyond that last one, thank goodness) and nonstandard norms of feminine grooming.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

DoctorWhat posted:

Quite probably the most rational and well-thought-out answer possible to a very loaded question

:golfclap:

For some content: Found this on Imgur, so I don't know who the cosplayer is. Anyone see them at NYCC and know?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Hremsfeld posted:

For some content: Found this on Imgur, so I don't know who the cosplayer is. Anyone see them at NYCC and know?

No freaking clue as to their identity, but they were a major hit, so I'm sure the info's out there somewhere.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

DoctorWhat posted:

What I wanted to say but with way more lucidity.

You're alright in my book, DoctorWhat.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dammit, Spider-Mans!
You had one job!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
What's wrong with just being in a costume and leaving the "politics" out of it?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Hremsfeld posted:

McJolnir! :downsrim:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

VendaGoat posted:

What's wrong with just being in a costume and leaving the "politics" out of it?

Cosplay doesn't happen in a vacuum, as evidenced by the facebook shitstorm over some girl's Michonne (Walking Dead) blackface makeup cosplay!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

McPantserton posted:

Cosplay doesn't happen in a vacuum, as evidenced by the facebook shitstorm over some girl's Michonne (Walking Dead) blackface makeup cosplay!

Alright then, have at them. If it's that important. I don't have a dog in this fight.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Media is political, and cosplay is all about media.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

VendaGoat posted:

Alright then, have at them. If it's that important. I don't have a dog in this fight.

No, man, I generally aim to give people the benefit of the doubt, I thought Dr. What's post about cosplaying as psychos and whatnot was very well-put. I myself have cosplayed as a Chaos barbarian amongst other morally ambiguous and I certainly don't condone chopping people in half to harvest their skulls and/or blood. I just also didn't think it was an out-of-line question, really, and I thought that the notion of ignoring politics in cosplay was kind of funny when my social media channels are blowing up hardcore over blackface right now.

Anyway, I'm not trying to start anything either, here's a photo of my friend from CosAwesome Studios looking cool as Cable, which I had previously thought was in defiance of the laws of reality.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
What I care about when I take your picture; Your cosplay/costume looks cool.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorWhat posted:

A very good answer

This was a very good answer, and thank you for it. It would've been really easy and honestly totally fair to dismiss my question, and you're absolutely right that it came from a place of ignorance. I really appreciate you dragging me out of that place of ignorance, and again: I'm sorry for how terribly loaded the question was in the first place.

vvv No, it definitely was. I think what happened is I got caught in this weird mindset of "Well there's like thirteen doctors, why would you portray THAT one?", when one could just as easily flip the question to be about "Well there's dozens of DC comics characters, why would you portray one as depraved as the Joker?"

Jenny Angel has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Oct 16, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That was just about the silliest question possible with all literally comic book bad guys constantly portrayed.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

McPantserton posted:

Anyway, I'm not trying to start anything either, here's a photo of my friend from CosAwesome Studios looking cool as Cable, which I had previously thought was in defiance of the laws of reality.

The gun doesn't appear to be made of stone, so I'm afraid it's only "really good" instead of "nearly perfect", I'm sorry.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

McPantserton posted:

But that's bringing external issues into the cosplay rather than it being an issue with the character themselves. By that I mean that they're not playing as someone who wore blackface in their source material (first and only example to come to mind would be Wooster from Jeeves and Wooster) but actually doing it because they themselves think it's an okay thing to do.
Doing blackface for a black character is completely unnecessary and I would imagine intentionally offensive (not that doing a character that did blackface is any better or wiser).
The moral standing of the character cosplayed doesn't have to be condoned to dress as them or appreciate their role in their story.

Do other characters like Patrick Bateman (almost his entire thing is hurting and killing women) get similar backlash when cosplayed or is it more isolated to 'heroes' with a misogynistic streak?
I mean I'd love to do Bob from Twin Peaks one day but I'd avoid it if it was assumed to be some approval of his actions.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Sad lions posted:

or is it more isolated to 'heroes' with a misogynistic streak?

To the extent that anyone's actually interested in hearing me try to suss out why I asked that weird-rear end question, I think this has a lot to do with it. When someone plays a character that's very obviously a villain, nobody's going to give them poo poo unless it's truly beyond the pale like Hitler cosplay. People will just make the reasonable assumption that the cosplayer is operating with full awareness of the character's evil.

But when you have a character who's largely heroic but engages (or engaged once) in something problematic, ESPECIALLY when the understanding of the character outside fans of the show is limited to "He's supposed to be a good guy" and "He did a bad thing", there's some unwarranted suspicion that the cosplayer must not in fact realize that bad thing was bad. And while that wasn't what I was consciously thinking, that's pretty much definitely what I was doing. You have this selection of perfectly good Doctors to choose from, DoctorWhat, whyever would you pick the broken one?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

Dammit, Spider-Mans!
You had one job!

gently caress, if there was ever a need for a Wet Floor sign, it was this photo.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

mind the walrus posted:

The Sixth Doctor was, more than any other Doctor, a casualty of the shitstorm that is the people at the BBC who make Doctor Who. Ever Doctor is given poo poo scripts and awful productions at some point during their run, but during the Sixth Doctor's run there were people actively trying to kill the show and they basically succeeded even if it took a few years for the body to stop kicking.

Too bad it couldn't stay that way.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I was at NYCC. Got some pictures to share. Some of these are better quality than others:

"Beariel", according to the sign

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Can someone post this michonne blackface costume? I haven't seen it.

Aw, this guy took the same approach as I did to a poison ivy costume, only I've never worn mine outside of Halloween or other costume parties. I used a lot more leaves, though :colbert:. Ask me how awesome hot gluing stuff to tights you're wearing is :haw:. I'd post it but it's just a Halloween costume so not that interesting.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Psychobabble! posted:

Can someone post this michonne blackface costume? I haven't seen it.

I'm assuming this is it:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sagging Afro zombies? What the gently caress kids..... What the gently caress...

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

LingcodKilla posted:

Sagging Afro zombies? What the gently caress kids..... What the gently caress...

To be fair, Michonne's pet walkers have been shown with sagged jeans in a few places, including a shot of the actors as well as the action figures. Of course, since her pets lack lower jaws, they had to attempt to replicate that look as well, managing instead to look from a distance like they have huge protruding lower lips. Doesn't look like a walking zombie minstrel show at all, no!

Azzy
May 10, 2003

Innit.
Here's our favorite Cosplay from NYCC 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sVVb_7zh-s

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I'm assuming this is it:

Nope. At least, that's not the one I saw get ripped apart on facebook.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

She painted contours to give herself the illusion of a "black" nose, didn't she?

Every time something like this happens, there's a huge public uproar. Why do they think that somehow it won't happen when they do it? Are they completely oblivious, or do they just not care, or do they think that they're "doing it right" unlike everyone else?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I imagine they have someone prominent in their lives who rants about how "political correctness" is a war being fought and won by oversensitive hippies and DAMMIT THIS WAR NEEDS FRESH SOLDIERS FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT TO NOT BE friend of the family human being PUSSY JEWS.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I see you've met my coworkers

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

I see you've met white people

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

DoctorWhat posted:

Of course the coat is loaded. The whole incarnation of the Doctor is loaded. I endeavor to represent the more positive qualities of Ol' Sixie, without ignoring or defending the - make no mistake - MASSIVE loving BAGGAGE the character carries.

It's also rather silly since further incarnations are still the same mind, so by default any Doctor past Six is also a woman choker with a new body. David Tennant played a former woman choker. Don't tell Tumblr. :ssh:

On another note, here's a surprisingly good interpretation of Mint-Berry Crunch.

Stapled-together construction paper is a nice (and I have to believe intentional) touch.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Mr. Fowl posted:

I was at NYCC. Got some pictures to share. Some of these are better quality than others:

"Beariel", according to the sign

Wow, didn't expect to see Wilfred outside Australia!

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Nope. At least, that's not the one I saw get ripped apart on facebook.

The person that did this was German, and American norms about race are not universal.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wax Dynasty posted:

The person that did this was German, and American norms about race are not universal.

*fills out relevant square on his "Racism Controversy" bingo card*

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Hydrolith posted:

Wow, didn't expect to see Wilfred outside Australia!

Can I assume then that this is the first you have heard of the american remake? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilfred_%28U.S._TV_series%29

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Wax Dynasty posted:

Good thing Germany's never had trouble with race.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Erebus posted:

Good thing Germany's never had trouble with race.

That's exactly the point, it's had its own troubles, not America's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Yeah see that excuse goes out the window when Germany's problems with racism also largely stem from the mockery and dehumanization of black people. Just because a bunch of white guys say "it's not as offensive over here" doesn't make it true.

• Locked thread