Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Radish posted:

Said by the person creating the world where these bad things happen and then the justice system claims were handled responsibly.

We should be used to it, but every time the police shoot or explode random citizens and the justice system says that's just the price we have to pay as a society for [reason] it shakes me up that is the reality in which we are living and constantly crowing about how we are the freest country in the world. I mean remove the horrible wounded baby aspect from this story. The POLICE are using flashbang grenades to storm houses of people where the suspect they are looking for isn't even there. How does that not deserve more outrage?

Because it's the price we pay to be the freest country in the world. Didn't you just say so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

KernelSlanders posted:

Because it's the price we pay to be the freest country in the world. Didn't you just say so?

:smith:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

KernelSlanders posted:

Yes he's free to be put in a cage
In Harlem in New York City.
And he's free to be put in a cage on the South-Side of Chicago,
And the West-Side.
And he's free to be put in a cage in Hough in Cleveland.
And he's free to be put in a cage in East St. Louis.
And he's free to be put in a cage in Fillmore in San Francisco.
And he's free to be put in a cage in Roxbury in Boston.

Maybe more for the Mike Brown thread, but it seemed apropos.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

SedanChair posted:

How fuckin' splendid, 900K in hospital bills. :bravo:

Though I prefer this photo:

It's only due to questions of (other people's) taste and heroic self-control that I haven't photoshopped MAC-10s into his hands.

I knew about this, but the pictures, holy gently caress.
Have we no shame?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Pohl posted:

I knew about this, but the pictures, holy gently caress.
Have we no shame?

It's the price we pay to be numero uno.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

It's the price we pay to be numero uno.

Well by "we pay", we really mean, "we make those people pay"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
In less depressing news, the officer in Williamsport who killed a guy by t-boning his car while going 110 in a residential zone got fired last night. :toot:

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kitfox88 posted:

In less depressing news, the officer in Williamsport who killed a guy by t-boning his car while going 110 in a residential zone got fired last night. :toot:

Yay, a man who at the very least should have been charged with manslaughter has instead been fired from his job(but not barred from applying to other PDs)

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Baby steps, dude. The expected outcome is something along the lines of him getting a paid vacation, so it's fine to be happy that he got fired.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ChairMaster posted:

Baby steps, dude. The expected outcome is something along the lines of him getting a paid vacation, so it's fine to be happy that he got fired.

Baby steps!

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ChairMaster posted:

Yea you're right.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

I am really looking forward to how Rent-A-Cop and Vahakyla respond to this.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2014/october/agent-exposes-civil-rights-crimes-in-alabama-prison

FBI Investigating civil rights abuses in Alabama Prison.
"An investigator from Alabama’s State Bureau of Investigation thought the stories didn’t add up and called the FBI, which investigates cases of abuse of authority—or color of law—and other civil rights violations."

The target of the FBI investigation, Lt. Michael Smith, 38, of Auburn was convicted of violating Mack's constitutional rights by fatally beating him, conspiracy and obstruction of justice. He faces up to life in prison.
"Two other former officers at the Ventress Correctional Facility in Clayton — Scottie Glenn and Matthew Davidson — have pleaded guilty and are awaiting sentencing. Another former officer, Joseph Sanders, is scheduled for trial"

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ex-supervisor-found-guilty-ala-inmate-death

And later, "MONTGOMERY, Alabama (AP) — A former prison supervisor received a 30-year sentence Monday and three former guards got lesser sentences for their roles in the fatal beating of an inmate or the cover-up that followed."

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 17, 2014

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Vahakyla posted:

And later, "MONTGOMERY, Alabama (AP) — A former prison supervisor received a 30-year sentence Monday and three former guards got lesser sentences for their roles in the fatal beating of an inmate or the cover-up that followed."

He's gonna be real famous at whatever prison they send him to. I'm very happy this is happening to him.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

He's gonna be real famous at whatever prison they send him to. I'm very happy this is happening to him.

I'm not sure if retaliation violence is the most reasonable police reform, though. No one should be afraid in a prison. You are happy that the same thing is going to happen to him that he did to others. Of which you are mad about.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 17, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

I'm not sure if retaliation violence is the most reasonable police reform, though. No one should be afraid in a prison. You are happy that the same thing is going to happen to him that he did to others. Of which you are mad about.

Maybe if there was a realistic concern that violent police officers would get treated like we treat violent criminals, police officers might either:

Be less violent
or
Treat violent criminals better

Police shouldn't be the only group that have an understanding and humane justice system and the fact they get better treatment than anyone else reinforces the us/them mentality that creates abuse and corruption.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So, the fear of violence will make our society better, just as it made it in the antiquity, the medieval times and just like black people learned to be proper?
So not only is 30 years in prison enough, but we have to beat him?

Yes. I'm sure that if people will just face serious violence, they will cease to be violent. You loving psychopath.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

So, the fear of violence will make our society better, just as it made it in the antiquity, the medieval times and just like black people learned to be proper?
So not only is 30 years in prison enough, but we have to beat him?

Great job missing the point and bringing up random strawmen. I'm saying that if police got treated the way police treat everyone else, the police might realize they shouldn't treat everyone like poo poo.

edit: if I'm a sociopath for thinking this, what does that make all the police officers who think they need to maintain control and authority over their interactions with the public to prevent people disobeying their orders?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Great job missing the point and bringing up random strawmen. I'm saying that if police got treated the way police treat everyone else, the police might realize they shouldn't treat everyone like poo poo.

Hence why we should bully school bullies. And why we beat violent kids. And steal from thieves.

Whatever the abusive cops are, do you want to be like them? Is modeling yourself after those you despise a good way?

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 17, 2014

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Trabisnikof posted:

Why? Does this work in any other cases?

Edit: If rapists got treated the way rapists treat their victims, rapists might realize they shouldn't rape people.

This is the logic that makes our system lovely.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Hence why we should bully school bullies. And why we beat violent kids.

I was unaware that bullies were in charge of school discipline.

Also I like how whenever police getting the same punishment as everyone else, people start talking about how immature, childish and unable to control themselves the police are. How the gently caress are police like bullies? Why the gently caress are you defending police by comparing them to emotionally disturbed children?

Once again, the police get special treatment and understanding, but you'd never hear this same poo poo when the police are the ones beating and killing literal children.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Obdicut posted:

Why? Does this work in any other cases?

Edit: If rapists got treated the way rapists treat their victims, rapists might realize they shouldn't rape people.

This is the logic that makes our system lovely.

Rapists aren't authority figures. Police live in a bubble about how the criminal justice system serves, that bubble directly impacts the way they enforce this justice system on the general public.

The fact that a cop knows he can kill someone, unjustified, and be 90% sure of never getting charged with murder and if he's charged he'll get a reduced plea deal or maybe beat the charge in court. The fact that if I placed someone in a chokehold I would get a worse punishment than if a police officer does it, undoubtably influences the use of force.

Why do you think giving police special treatment would make the police less abusive?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Rapists aren't authority figures. Police live in a bubble about how the criminal justice system serves, that bubble directly impacts the way they enforce this justice system on the general public.

The fact that a cop knows he can kill someone, unjustified, and be 90% sure of never getting charged with murder and if he's charged he'll get a reduced plea deal or maybe beat the charge in court. The fact that if I placed someone in a chokehold I would get a worse punishment than if a police officer does it, undoubtably influences the use of force.

Why do you think giving police special treatment would make the police less abusive?

So special treatment TYOOL 2014 In loving America is to have the right to "be not severely beaten while under custody"?

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
I think it's less about the fact that he will get a beating and more schadenfreude with respect to him being on the other side of the baton. He gets to experience the shittastic prison conditions that he and his ilk created.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Trabisnikof posted:

Rapists aren't authority figures.

Why does this matter for what you're saying?

quote:

Yeah. These are problems with the conviction of cops. What you and Tight Booty Madman are being castigated for is for wanting them to, after being convicted, get tuned up and raped. Being happy about it.

WEirdly, though, at least TBS understands that after conviction these cops aren't going to get any sort of special treatment, you apparently think they will for some reason.

quote:

I don't, nothing I've said in any way amounts to that. Why do you argue so badly? Do you not understand what you're actually being criticized for here?

peengers posted:

I think it's less about the fact that he will get a beating and more schadenfreude with respect to him being on the other side of the baton. He gets to experience the shittastic prison conditions that he and his ilk created.

Police did not create our prison conditions.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

peengers posted:

So what you say that this is retribution and bloodlust, both very civil and progressive things.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I say bring back decimation. Any crime a cop is convicted of, 1 in 10 of his precinct mates suffers the same fate. Put the fear of god back into them.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Vahakyla posted:

So special treatment TYOOL 2014 In loving America is to have the right to "be not severely beaten while under custody"?

Pretty much, yeah. That would be special treatment.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

Obdicut posted:

Good thing that he's a former prison supervisor then. I think those guys might have something to do with creating those sorts of conditions.

On a positive note, maybe he will be transformed by his prison experience and come out as an advocate for prison reform.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

Vahakyla posted:

So what you say that this is retribution and bloodlust, both very civil and progressive things.

No, its schadenfreude.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

peengers posted:

No, its schadenfreude.

All these are the foundation stones of american public policy. GG.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

peengers posted:

Good thing that he's a former prison supervisor then. I think those guys might have something to do with creating those sorts of conditions.

Not a hell of a lot, though. The way our prisons are is the result of laws that our duly-elected legislators have passed. They've passed these laws in responses to various moral panics, racism, special interests, etc. Our horrible prison system hasn't been enforced on an unwilling America, it's been voted for.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Obdicut posted:

Why does this matter for what you're saying?

Because the police are instrumental to the criminal justice system and often set the framework by which their fellow citizens will be treated. Take Kalief Browder for example. When he was 16, he was accused of robbing someone and even without any evidence of stolen goods in his possession he was arrested.

quote:

The officers searched him and his friend but found nothing. As Browder recalls, one of the officers walked back to his car, where the alleged victim was, and returned with a new story: the man said that they had robbed him not that night but two weeks earlier. The police handcuffed the teens and pressed them into the back of a squad car. “What am I being charged for?” Browder asked. “I didn’t do anything!” He remembers an officer telling them, “We’re just going to take you to the precinct. Most likely you can go home.” Browder whispered to his friend, “Are you sure you didn’t do anything?” His friend insisted that he hadn’t.

Kalief Browder then spent the next 3 years in Rikers awaiting trial for charges that were eventually dismissed. Did the arresting officer know that would happen? Of course not. But you also know that an NYPD officer charged with DUI/DWI following a crash wouldn't spend 2 days in Rikers.

Obdicut posted:

Yeah. These are problems with the conviction of cops. What you and Tight Booty Madman are being castigated for is for wanting them to, after being convicted, get tuned up and raped. Being happy about it.

I never said poo poo about being happy about them getting raped or injured in prison. All I said, is that it good that police get the same treatment as everyone else. Yes the US prison system is brutal, but just because the police/rich can get themselves off doesn't mean I think its good that they can.

Obdicut posted:

Police absolutely do contribute to them. Aggressive arresting, charging, and write-ups help to land people longer sentences all the time. Every cop busting crackheads for possession of paraphernalia is worsening our prison conditions.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I'm sure all your points will vanish from the sands of time if we just beat some people a bit more.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Trabisnikof posted:

Because the police are instrumental to the criminal justice system and often set the framework by which their fellow citizens will be treated. Take Kalief Browder for example. When he was 16, he was accused of robbing someone and even without any evidence of stolen goods in his possession he was arrested.

Kalief Browder then spent the next 3 years in Rikers awaiting trial for charges that were eventually dismissed. Did the arresting officer know that would happen? Of course not. But you also know that an NYPD officer charged with DUI/DWI following a crash wouldn't spend 2 days in Rikers.

What does this have to do with anything?

quote:

I never said poo poo about being happy about them getting raped or injured in prison. All I said, is that it good that police get the same treatment as everyone else.

No, you said that you thought that it would help change their minds if they got that treatment, remember?

quote:

Police absolutely do contribute to them. Aggressive arresting, charging, and write-ups help to land people longer sentences all the time. Every cop busting crackheads for possession of paraphernalia is worsening our prison conditions.

And why do cops bust crackheads for possession? Because they are horrible people who came up with this idea, or because we have stupid horrible laws that we passed and told the cops to enforce?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Obdicut posted:

What does this have to do with anything?

No, you said that you thought that it would help change their minds if they got that treatment, remember?

I'm saying that if police, as enforcers of the law and as a group, have a vastly different and more positive interaction with the justice system than most other groups, they will make judgements based on their experience, shared stories, and cultural expectations based on that vastly different interaction with the justice system. Police are the beginning of a long process and their understanding of that process can impact their decisions. (e.g. When deciding if to arrest or ticket a kid, their expectations of what the experience in jail would be like will factor into this decision, conscious or not. )

Obdicut posted:

And why do cops bust crackheads for possession? Because they are horrible people who came up with this idea, or because we have stupid horrible laws that we passed and told the cops to enforce?

You're incredibly naive if you think that police enforce crimes 100% like robots. Police likewise have tons of discretion about how they write their reports, what is ticket-able versus arrest-able etc etc.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I honestly cannot believe some goons. I was expressing my approval for the rare just sentence, and people tell me I shouldn't be happy the cop is going to prison.

SrgMagnum
Nov 12, 2007
Got old money, could buy a dinosaur
Don't feel bad. This is the ACAB thread.

Where everyone is a racist and everyone else just wants to argue with them.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

I honestly cannot believe some goons. I was expressing my approval for the rare just sentence, and people tell me I shouldn't be happy the cop is going to prison.

Yeah, sure.

quote:

Can't you stick to just making GBS threads up the GMO thread?

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm saying that if police, as enforcers of the law and as a group, have a vastly different and more positive interaction with the justice system than most other groups, they will make judgements based on their experience, shared stories, and cultural expectations based on that vastly different interaction with the justice system. Police are the beginning of a long process and their understanding of that process can impact their decisions. (e.g. When deciding if to arrest or ticket a kid, their expectations of what the experience in jail would be like will factor into this decision, conscious or not. )

If police were arrested for crimes they committed but nothing else about our justice system would change, the police would probably break down, yeah, but first of all you're describing an impossibility, and second of all it wouldn't actually solve anything. It'd actually probably lead to more corruption.

quote:

You're incredibly naive if you think that police enforce crimes 100% like robots. Police likewise have tons of discretion about how they write their reports, what is ticket-able versus arrest-able etc etc.

I don't. I think that there are factors that influence the decisions police make, and that they aren't the creators of these factors. But never mind, this is the same stupid poo poo as always, appraoching the problem completely assbackwards and getting a hard on for punishing cops without addressing the actual underlying problem of the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Obdicut posted:

If police were arrested for crimes they committed but nothing else about our justice system would change, the police would probably break down, yeah, but first of all you're describing an impossibility, and second of all it wouldn't actually solve anything. It'd actually probably lead to more corruption.

You seriously think that arresting police for crimes they commit would be more corrupt than the current system where police give each other better treatment?

I actually don't think the police would "break down" if they were treated more like regular citizens by the justice system, instead they might be a little more understanding of their fellow citizens when they are in a position of extreme power over their fellow citizen's future.

• Locked thread