Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Lincoln posted:

The 2015 Tower of Terror Ten Miler has been nixed from the schedule. And that's a race that always sells out quickly. It's an October event, so it's probably a safe bet that DHS will be undergoing too much construction for the race to be run. Sounds like a major park overhaul is in the works.

The race runs through the backlot area they just closed, so yeah, big stuff is happening. If that big stuff is any good remains to be seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

fingerpaint posted:

Disney Cruises are phenomenal trips, to such an extent that I personally feel that they are not great first cruises. The service, ships, and cabins are so far above industry standard that it is difficult to adjust to another large ship experience. Of course, you'll have a great time. I took my family on one in August, also a Caribbean cruise. Make sure to sign up for the tours they offer on board. I've worked in the ship design business for nearly twenty years, and even I learned some interesting stuff.

This is what Braksgirl keeps telling me. I've only been on two Carnival cruises and I enjoyed those. If I do the Disney one, I might be spoiled for life.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Silly Burrito posted:

This is what Braksgirl keeps telling me. I've only been on two Carnival cruises and I enjoyed those. If I do the Disney one, I might be spoiled for life.

Just bank on that being the case. I had only been on Carnival (3x) before my first Disney cruise, and now I won't sail anything else.

Off topic sidenote: Christ I'm glad the Saints are off this week.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Doronin posted:

Just bank on that being the case. I had only been on Carnival (3x) before my first Disney cruise, and now I won't sail anything else.

Off topic sidenote: Christ I'm glad the Saints are off this week.

And looking forward to Mark Ingram coming back. Who knew?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

If you went to Magic Kingdom today, I laugh at you and the 60 thousand other people who had the same idea. I laugh and cry.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Hey all, I'll be freshening up the OP pretty soon (I've been trying to keep it factually correct, but if you see any outdated info, tell me), and I'd like to add some important dos-&-don'ts. Like: DON'T buy new shoes to run around the parks in right before you leave; get them far enough ahead of time to break them in. DO schedule at least one signature dining meal; it's worth it. That sort of thing. Particularly stuff that wouldn't likely be known by a first-timer.

Fire away.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Don't get on the Tower of Terror and wrap the lap belt around your wrist several times in the hopes of making the ride more exciting. It doesn't pick up the slack once the ride is in motion.

Although my wife did say that the photo captured "I've made a horrible mistake." more than anything she's ever seen.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
tower of terror owns if you're skinny. fat people get held down into the seat by the harness, skinnies get to levitate.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
There are harnesses now? Last time I rode (a couple of years ago...) it was just the belts. When I acted like an idiot with the belt, even my big rear end completely came out of the seat. It was exciting. I didn't know I could scream like that.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

There are harnesses now? Last time I rode (a couple of years ago...) it was just the belts. When I acted like an idiot with the belt, even my big rear end completely came out of the seat. It was exciting. I didn't know I could scream like that.

My experience is years out of date at this point honestly. It used to be a single bar for each row with harness-like protrusions. The larger someone else on your row was, the more clearance you'd have.

Aethersphere
Mar 21, 2009

you see me rollin up pops you step aside

Lincoln posted:

Hey all, I'll be freshening up the OP pretty soon (I've been trying to keep it factually correct, but if you see any outdated info, tell me), and I'd like to add some important dos-&-don'ts. Like: DON'T buy new shoes to run around the parks in right before you leave; get them far enough ahead of time to break them in. DO schedule at least one signature dining meal; it's worth it. That sort of thing. Particularly stuff that wouldn't likely be known by a first-timer.

Fire away.

This isn't strictly a "do-and-don't," but a guide to all the parades/nighttime shows and when they occur would be really really useful.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Don't get on the Tower of Terror and wrap the lap belt around your wrist several times in the hopes of making the ride more exciting. It doesn't pick up the slack once the ride is in motion.

Although my wife did say that the photo captured "I've made a horrible mistake." more than anything she's ever seen.

I did this on accident once. I, being a fat dude, tend to want to make sure the belt will fit, so I take it all the way out before I sit down. Normally, this causes no issues because it takes in the slack, but one time it didn't. I was unaware of how much slack I had until the first little drop, and then when we went all the way to the top, the photo basically shows me going "OH poo poo OH poo poo"

I love that ride, but I was legit terrified for about 30 seconds.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You know I have the perfect helpful tip for you guys.

Never ride tower of terror.

I will never ride ToT because I would pee myself.

I hope this has been incredibly helpful to you and yours :)

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

If you went to Magic Kingdom today, I laugh at you and the 60 thousand other people who had the same idea. I laugh and cry.

Me and my wife made that mistake once a few years back. "Why are there so many people here in the middle of Oct? Nothing is going on in Oct. Columbus Day is a Federal Holiday? ERQLJKASDHJKLS" Never again.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You know I have the perfect helpful tip for you guys.

Legit advice right here. I can't ride ToT anymore because the past few times during the drop I get so terrified I just start hurling expletives at whoever got me to ride it. :(

And speaking of expletives, I just got back from a delightful Halloween-themed DLP trip, marred only slightly by an incident that happened while I was in the queue to meet Stitch & Minnie. A gentleman of a certain… unfortunate demeanour jumped the queue and pushed his children and wife in front of the photographer, demanding to have his turn now. Choice quotes included "I've been fookin' waitin' two bleeding' hours for a photo, fam!", as well as "Too much chat-chat-chat, just take the fookin' photo and move on, know what I mean fam?", and "What you gonna do, call the army? You gonna shoot me?".

As a cast member led Minnie away while almost simultaneously three burly men suddenly appeared. I couldn't quite hear what the supervisor was saying but I did catch him saying "I will NOT let you take pictures with my characters if you are going to be abusive". The gentleman and his family were invited to leave the queue and disperse. The mother tried to get the kids back into the queue but security spotted them and they immediately left.

Seriously, what a way to set an example to not only your kids but everyone else's! We all paid to get in, we all queued the same amount… and you're not just taking a picture with the character, you get to meet and interact with them! If you just wanted a picture, why not find a cardboard cut-out or something?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

PkerUNO posted:

If you just wanted a picture, why not find a cardboard cut-out or something?

I'm pretty good with Photoshop...

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Tower of Terror owns

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Doronin posted:

Was Castaway Cay still freezing by then, or did it warm back up by the time you went?

It was warm! It was probably in the high 80s. I didn't get in the water because there was a giant rear end stingray (a wild one, barbs intact) and stingrays are full of NOPE, but lots of people were out there and seemed comfortable.

So I was at Disney this weekend. Holy poo poo, Saturday night at MK was insane! It was so crowded. I've never been there when it was that crowded before. Of course, while it was packed Pirates, Peter Pan's Flight, and something else were all down. Epcot Sunday morning wasn't so bad, but I headed back to MK later for a BOG lunch FP and MK was wall-to-wall again. Monday at Epcot was pretty light and I was able to snag a Soarin FP for 9:15 am. Who knew Columbus Day was such a draw?

All I'm saying is Never Again for October for me. It was so hot and far too crowded for my comfort. We're trying November next year.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 14, 2014

kiriana
Mar 8, 2011
At Anna and Elsa's line , only 100 minutes!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

It was 45 min on Saturday night at midnight. If I hadn't been hosting that breakfast with them on Monday, I might have stood in line.

Also, they must save the really good princess actors for the corporate events because ours were AMAZING. If anyone ever gets to attend a private event like that, you should pony up the dough and GO. You get lots of time with the characters and the food is great. We were in the Wonders pavilion and it was decorated so well. They really gave my clients their money's worth.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

It was 45 min on Saturday night at midnight. If I hadn't been hosting that breakfast with them on Monday, I might have stood in line.

Also, they must save the really good princess actors for the corporate events because ours were AMAZING. If anyone ever gets to attend a private event like that, you should pony up the dough and GO. You get lots of time with the characters and the food is great. We were in the Wonders pavilion and it was decorated so well. They really gave my clients their money's worth.

If people are paying extra for something like that, Disney busts out the good stuff. I went to a private party hosted by The Dis last year because it was during my trip, and wow, I didn't care much for the company of "dis-ers" but holy poo poo, the food and characters were amazing.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ended up saving 715 bucks on our trip next year due to that Disney Visa promo code posted earlier in the thread. Thanks again Braksgirl, I would have missed that email without you mentioning it. (Stupid Gmail promotion filter)

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Glad it helped!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
So apparently i'll be at Disney World in about two weeks.

We've been hella busy IRL with remodeling our bathroom ourselves and I got a new job since it was booked so it pretty much just crept up on us.

Any other goons gonna be around for halloween/food and wine festivities? Were doing wed 10/29 to wed 11/5.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I will never ride ToT because I would pee myself.

I hate drop rides and am scared of heights, but I love Tower of Terror. It's mostly the theming and the art direction, which are some of the best stuff Disney has ever done in the parks. The one at WDW is expecially awesome because you get to travel down that cool hallway with all of the stuff from the Twilight Zone intro. It's too good not to go on.

Selenite
Feb 17, 2011
AS far as drop rides go, I find Tower of Tower to be pretty mild. But since when is a cobweb infested, haunted Twilight Zone themed hotel not cool?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Disney publishes a new version of Hollywood Studios map minus the Sorcerer Mickey hat. When questioned by the local news their reply is "We have no announcement to make at this time.." The cat is out of the bag.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Down with the bloody big hat!

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

demonR6 posted:

Disney publishes a new version of Hollywood Studios map minus the Sorcerer Mickey hat. When questioned by the local news their reply is "We have no announcement to make at this time.." The cat is out of the bag.

Might as well bulldoze the whole park and start over(except the Tower of Terror and Rockin' Rollercoaster section) if the hat is being removed as well. Then they finally have a chance to build a working theme park layout and not have to play Tetris on where to place new attractions in a forgotten dream of an idea of having a working studio in the middle of a theme park. I recently realized that I now prefer to visit Animal Kingdom more than MGM, don't know if that bad or good.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
Dreams do come true! Been wanting to see the hat go for years. Really messes up that beautiful view you used to get of the Chinese Theater from the entrance of the park.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Circutron posted:

Dreams do come true! Been wanting to see the hat go for years. Really messes up that beautiful view you used to get of the Chinese Theater from the entrance of the park.

But then where am I supposed to buy pins now? Without the big hat pin shop I'll need to buy pins from one of the 20,000 other places in the park!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Wife said "and they are replacing it with the castle from Frozen.." bwahahahaha.

f* Frozen ten thousand times over.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
"As Walt always said, 'dream, diversify and never miss an angle,' and here at Walt Disney World Resorts we are proud to announce that in 2017, you can enjoy the majesty of Princess Elsa's fully realized ice palace at Disney Hollywood Studios. The construction, set to replace the several stories tall Sorcerer Mickey's hat, will offer exclusive retail shopping for the latest in Frozen merchandise, a new Bippity-Boppity-Boutique - just for Frozen - and a special snack bar for all the Frozen-themed Disney delights you know and love."

I ought to apply for one of the PR jobs again and just enter that as my cover letter.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
"and remember, just around the corner from the Anna and Elsa's castle is Frozen Picture Studios™ latest addition to the park and the long-anticipated replacement to Tower of Terror.. the Ice Tower of Terror!

As you wind through the Everest like mountain you will meet mystical trolls where you board an ice car with your guide Olaf who will help you flee the giant Marshmallow as it chases you up to the top of the mountain. Experience a 14 story drop down to the bottom where you will exit into a lavish Frozen gift shop full of all the crap that will make you want to choke down more vomit and not the kind induced by the ride!

Across from the Ice Tower or Terror is the newest roller coaster Sven's Escape from Arendelle! Join Sven and Kristoff for an exciting, high-speed sleigh ride adventure catapulting you through the land of Frozen at speeds of over 60 miles per hour as you try to escape the kingdom of Arendelle. If you are lucky the sleigh will crash into the side of a mountain killing you all and saving you from having to spend any more time enduring anything related to Frozen.. ever!"

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I hear next year they're changing EPCOT to EPCOF.

Also, I just added a "What You Get For The Money" video to the OP.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm making horrible noises at all of you and you have absolutely no idea because you're all so dead on.

At least if it'd been stupid rear end Wreck It Ralph I could play the dumb little game and they could have rethemed tomorrowland speedway (or whatever it's currently called) with the little candy go-karts.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Maybe we will get lucky and big hero six will be really popular. Then we can get like... Soarin over sanfranokyo

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Apparently, we are going to head back to Disney in 2 weeks for 3 days. Staying off property for the first time in 3 years. This should be interesting.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm making horrible noises at all of you and you have absolutely no idea because you're all so dead on.

At least if it'd been stupid rear end Wreck It Ralph I could play the dumb little game and they could have rethemed tomorrowland speedway (or whatever it's currently called) with the little candy go-karts.

When we went last year, I liked the revamp of Winnie the Pooh's meet and greet into Game Central Station for Ralph and Vanellope. Lots of cool little mentions of video game history on the signs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Silly Burrito posted:

When we went last year, I liked the revamp of Winnie the Pooh's meet and greet into Game Central Station for Ralph and Vanellope. Lots of cool little mentions of video game history on the signs.

It has all been torn down and replaced with things from Frozen. I would not be surprised if they tore down Cinderella's Castle to the studs and turned it into the castle from the movie.