Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Viggen posted:

I have never negotiated directly with a high pressure salesperson. I just walk away if they don't respect my wishes.

Dodge dealership here lost us for life because of this. When we come in saying we want a decently fuel efficient small SUV/crossover with AWD, but fairly barebones, and specifically no leather - don't try to sell us on an overpriced used Grand Cherokee with a 6 inch lift and oversized tires...with leather. We just left when he refused to show us a Journey (which we had rented one on a vacation a year earlier and quite liked, so if the price was right we may have bought it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Siochain posted:

Dodge dealership here lost us for life because of this. When we come in saying we want a decently fuel efficient small SUV/crossover with AWD, but fairly barebones, and specifically no leather - don't try to sell us on an overpriced used Grand Cherokee with a 6 inch lift and oversized tires...with leather. We just left when he refused to show us a Journey (which we had rented one on a vacation a year earlier and quite liked, so if the price was right we may have bought it).

My dealership avoids this kind of bullshit by paying our salesmen on a per-unit basis rather than on a commission basis. It doesn't matter if we sell you the $765 Toyota station wagon or something higher-end (although I'm sure the guys in our Bentley and Maserati showroom are probably making more per car). Some dealers tend to get so obsessed with making a certain amount of money in commission that they lose sight of the endgame, which is to get a customer into a car that they want to drive.

I went through my customer log today and found two more sold deals that I missed, so it brings me a little closer to my goal for the month but still so far off. RIP my bonus checks :smithicide:

We've been really busy the last couple of Saturdays and holidays, so I've asked my boss what I can do to help out. Guess I'm gonna learn how to sell cars after all.

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
So I pay $250 a month for my 2006 BMW 325I which I can afford but I no longer wish to pay when I got my new job everyone had Jaguars Audi's and BMWs and I got sucked in. I now want to buy a beater Cherokee to work on. I owe 12000 on the BMW due to being upside down on my previous 2014 Wrangler. My question is how much better is selling private party. My car is in immaculate condition save for the bottom of the front bumper and carmax only offered me $6500. I'm looking for the best way to get out of my current car is a dealership always going to gently caress me? I'm not strong willed I hate negotiating but I also hate the fear of letting some hooligan drive my car/accepting possibly fake money or check. I'm not expecting to get pay off but I feel my car is worth 10k maybe not though..

Guru Yaekob fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 13, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Viggen posted:

Basically, he didn't trust the check I gave them, despite it being a cashiers' check from a local branch of a nationwide bank (of which I took the salesdroid in post-drive and made him wait while I had it done), and wanted me to sign off on them charging me $XXX/mo for YY years on a bullshit loan with an APR higher than you get from loan sharks.

I'm kind of surprised Neillo pulled that poo poo (unless it was the Audi dealer).
Do you live in Sacramento?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Guru Yaekob posted:

So I pay $250 a month for my 2006 BMW 325I which I can afford but I no longer wish to pay when I got my new job everyone had Jaguars Audi's and BMWs and I got sucked in. I now want to buy a beater Cherokee to work on. I owe 12000 on the BMW due to being upside down on my previous 2014 Wrangler. My question is how much better is selling private party. My car is in immaculate condition save for the bottom of the front bumper and carmax only offered me $6500. I'm looking for the best way to get out of my current car is a dealership always going to gently caress me? I'm not strong willed I hate negotiating but I also hate the fear of letting some hooligan drive my car/accepting possibly fake money or check. I'm not expecting to get pay off but I feel my car is worth 10k maybe not though..

You're going to want to check out KBB to see what your car is worth private party versus dealership trade in.

The short answer is that, yes, you're probably going to get less money for it trading it in or selling it to a dealership. People trade their cars in for a reason, and that is convenience. Are you willing to take the hit in your car's value by selling it to a dealership?

The other thing to consider is how much your time is worth to you. Is it worth it to spend the time listing the car, responding to emails and phone calls, meeting with prospective buyers, and writing off flakes? Trading it in might be worth the hit if you don't want to deal with the unwashed masses, but if you've got the free time to meet with people, it could be worth getting $10,000 instead of $6500.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 206 days!)

nm posted:

I'm kind of surprised Neillo pulled that poo poo (unless it was the Audi dealer). Do you live in Sacramento?

Nope. It was the BMW dealership. I live a couple hours away. They also tried the "Pay our sales tax (its the same as yours), and you can drive it away. Otherwise, we need to call an 80 year old codger to take it to a UPS store in your county, and once they notarize the paperwork, you can have the car."

Needless to say, if I didn't love the car, I would have walked at this point.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
One of my coworkers is having a not-so-fun time trying to explain to her customer that he has to pay interest on his car loan, even though his religion forbids it. :stare:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

goatse guy posted:

One of my coworkers is having a not-so-fun time trying to explain to her customer that he has to pay interest on his car loan, even though his religion forbids it. :stare:

I thought Muslims only couldn't charge interest.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

goatse guy posted:

What religion is that?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

goatse guy posted:

Been there before as a private seller. It's not my fault you can't pay me.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

What religion is that?

Islam.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I thought Muslims only couldn't charge interest.

Depends on which imam you ask.

goatse guy fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 14, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm not sure what you can do about that.

The solution with mortgages that comply with sharia law is to have effectively zero-interest repayments on the property, but have a rent charged in parallel until the mortgage is paid off. I know it sounds like mental gymnastics for the sake of it, but it apparently works, and banks which do it get the custom.

Not sure what the option would be for cars. High deposit, no discount from list price? Would that make back what you lose in interest?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

InitialDave posted:

I'm not sure what you can do about that.

The solution with mortgages that comply with sharia law is to have effectively zero-interest repayments on the property, but have a rent charged in parallel until the mortgage is paid off. I know it sounds like mental gymnastics for the sake of it, but it apparently works, and banks which do it get the custom.

Not sure what the option would be for cars. High deposit, no discount from list price? Would that make back what you lose in interest?

You can get around it through the banks by paying a large lump sum up front. The only problem is that if you total your car, you won't get that money back through insurance.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That sounds completely ridiculous and I'm not sure how trying to outsmart your chosen imaginary friend by following the letter of their law but not the spirit makes one anything other than a hypocrite.

It sounds like devout muslims simply need to earn money before they spend it, which sounds like a really good lesson if not a bit impractical for things like a house.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

goatse guy posted:

You can get around it through the banks by paying a large lump sum up front. The only problem is that if you total your car, you won't get that money back through insurance.
Really? That's interesting.

Here, I can choose gap cover in varying grades, right up to "go buy me a new one even if I only owe 10% of the depreciated value", deposit percentages etc aren't really part of it. Does that not exist under the US system?

I mean, it's not a standard thing you're insured for, but the additional cover is available. Or are we talking about something else entirely?

Motronic posted:

That sounds completely ridiculous and I'm not sure how trying to outsmart your chosen imaginary friend by following the letter of their law but not the spirit makes one anything other than a hypocrite.

It sounds like devout muslims simply need to earn money before they spend it, which sounds like a really good lesson if not a bit impractical for things like a house.
I don't disagree, but from a business perspective, I think I'd just shrug and work on getting the jump on a potentially lucrative market that my competitors aren't tapping.

I think halal and kosher food is a somewhat arbitrary and silly set of rules, but if I ran a restaurant/grocery store, I'd try to find a way to sell as many potential customers as possible, even if it makes little logical sense.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Really? That's interesting.

Here, I can choose gap cover in varying grades, right up to "go buy me a new one even if I only owe 10% of the depreciated value", deposit percentages etc aren't really part of it. Does that not exist under the US system?

I mean, it's not a standard thing you're insured for, but the additional cover is available. Or are we talking about something else entirely?

I actually have zero idea how it works, because they never do it. We have a lot of Muslim customers thanks to the Twin Cities large population of Somalis, but I have yet to meet one who is devout enough to care about paying interest.

InitialDave posted:

I don't disagree, but from a business perspective, I think I'd just shrug and work on getting the jump on a potentially lucrative market that my competitors aren't tapping.

I think halal and kosher food is a somewhat arbitrary and silly set of rules, but if I ran a restaurant/grocery store, I'd try to find a way to sell as many potential customers as possible, even if it makes little logical sense.

If you were running a restaurant or grocery store, it would make more sense to weigh the costs of catering to those customers with how much business you'd actually recieve. I've managed a few restaurants, and it just didn't make sense to specially cater toward halal, kosher, vegan, or even gluten-free customers because we just didn't have the demand to make up for the cost of modifying our menu. I'm not saying that we didn't try to help them if they really wanted to eat there, but there are some times that it really isn't worth going out of your way to help someone.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

goatse guy posted:

I've managed a few restaurants, and it just didn't make sense to specially cater toward halal
Yeah, living in Leicester kind of bends your perception of these sorts of things...

With the insurance, I thought you were saying that a high deposit would affect your insurance payout if a car was written off, that's what was confusing me.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's probably because it's an exotic loan that GAP coverage providers don't typically cover, or can't for some regulatory reason.

Mental gymnastics is right. I remember when my wife was working in a hotel and had a bunch of Jewish dudes come up and ask her to walk in front of the front-door sensors so they could leave :laugh:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Sabbath enabled elevators will stop at every single floor automatically without human interaction on Saturday. Yes it defeats the spirit of the law and is massively slower than taking the stairs

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Those things really confound me. So God, being all seeing and all powerful and surely knowing what you're up to, is fine with you circumventing his wishes by violating the spirit of the law, even if the letter of the law has not been violated?

Seems like you'd might as well just say "gently caress it" at that point.

Edit: sorry, I thought this was the general chat thread.

goatse guy posted:

Sorry dude, but not everyone is gonna get those magic 0.9% interest rates. You gotta prove yourself first.

:stare: And who gets 0.9%?

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 15, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

People that don't need it, but have made good financial choices in the past and have 800+ credit ratings.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

In your experience, how hard is it to do a straight trade on used cars? I'm looking to trade in a 2012 Focus and trying to pick up a 2007 Miata. It's looking like the Miatas(NC, third gen, only one I can fit in with my proportions) are around $12K and I could get $12K for the Focus. What pitfalls am I missing in this? I'm trying to get into something less soulless and grey without incurring debt.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Like meatpimp said, people with good credit. I have limited credit history because I've had a credit card for a year and never had a loan before, and the banks initially offered me a 12.9% interest rate. The finance office was able to negotiate on my behalf for a better rate since I work for the dealership, but in general first time buyers get hosed.

Taco Box posted:

In your experience, how hard is it to do a straight trade on used cars? I'm looking to trade in a 2012 Focus and trying to pick up a 2007 Miata. It's looking like the Miatas(NC, third gen, only one I can fit in with my proportions) are around $12K and I could get $12K for the Focus. What pitfalls am I missing in this? I'm trying to get into something less soulless and grey without incurring debt.

The numbers don't usually work out that smoothly. If your local dealership is still in the business of negotiating, it would be much easier.

edit to add: I love when the first customer email that I open in a day is a nastygram from someone who has their panties in a bundle.

Our dealership purchases vehicles from auctions in other parts of the country in order to give our customers more vehicles to choose from, and as soon as they are purchased they are entered in our online inventory, regardless of whether the car is actually here yet or not. A customer inquired on one of these vehicles five days ago, and has sent me five snotty emails wondering if the car is here yet. This morning he told me that he's no longer interested, because the time it's taking to get here is "ridiculous." Dude. How long do you think it takes to get a truck full of cars shipped across the country? Do you call Amazon and tell them to cancel your order when it takes more than five days?

goatse guy fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 15, 2014

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
Speaking of religious crazies, one of my customers came in last night to check out a PT Cruiser. No, that's not the craziest part, let me finish. They brought in a ton of family members, and they had to pray before each test drive. The matriarch of the family was chanting.

I guess Jesus didn't like any of their vehicle choices, because they didn't purchase anything.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

goatse guy posted:

Speaking of religious crazies, one of my customers came in last night to check out a PT Cruiser. No, that's not the craziest part, let me finish. They brought in a ton of family members, and they had to pray before each test drive. The matriarch of the family was chanting.

I guess Jesus didn't like any of their vehicle choices, because they didn't purchase anything.
It's a miracle!

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

quote:

This 200 is for Chrysler fans looking far and wide for an outstanding, low-mileage creampuff. It will save you money by keeping you on the road and out of the mechanic's garage.

I don't know who writes our vehicle descriptions, but they keep referring to "Chrysler fans" and "Saturn enthusiasts." Are those even real things?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

goatse guy posted:

I don't know who writes our vehicle descriptions, but they keep referring to "Chrysler fans" and "Saturn enthusiasts." Are those even real things?

Well, STR and TT exist, so.. maybe? :sparkles:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Viggen posted:

I guess if Saab enthusiasts can exist... :sweden:

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

goatse guy posted:

I like my decrepit 15 year old Saturd, but it's really an appliance.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

goatse guy posted:

http://www.saturnfans.com/
https://www.allpar.com/forums/
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/
http://www.ptcruizer.com/
http://www.j-body.org/forums/
http://grandamgt.com/
And my favoriate
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/
An example signature

quote:

Im 25 and my parents own a 2014 Grand Caravan R/T (3.6l, 56 miles) 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT (1.8l 76k miles 5spd), a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT(3.8l 41TE 113k miles), a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser ((which is mine) 2.4l 116k miles 41TE), and a 2000 Ford Mustang base (3.8l, 4 spd auto 27k miles)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I wouldn't be bragging about a PT Cruiser, that's something you NEVER admit to.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

leica posted:

I wouldn't be bragging about a PT Cruiser, that's something you NEVER admit to.

I wish I got the picture of the one I saw yesterday. It had a flame job, additional chrome trimmage beyond the usual JC whitney catalog, and personalized plates. By the time I got to the freeway entrance (about 6 blocks away), I was laughing so hard I was crying and had to pull off into a parking lot, lest I cause an accident. It was JUST THAT BAD.

goatse guy posted:

I guess if Saab enthusiasts can exist... :sweden:

..not everybody was born to be a Kiyndai, sweetheart. :3:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Viggen posted:

It's a Cobalt 2LT with a plastic body and a spare tire. :colbert:

It's mostly an appliance for me.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Viggen posted:

I wish I got the picture of the one I saw yesterday. It had a flame job, additional chrome trimmage beyond the usual JC whitney catalog, and personalized plates. By the time I got to the freeway entrance (about 6 blocks away), I was laughing so hard I was crying and had to pull off into a parking lot, lest I cause an accident. It was JUST THAT BAD.

I see a lot of PT Cruisers with flames and additional chrome trim. I have no idea why.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

goatse guy posted:

Is it natural to want to kick in the teeth of people who use classified-speak like "creampuff"?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
The PT Cruiser is stupid popular for some reason. I don't know why, but I take a lot of appointments on them whenever we have them in stock.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

goatse guy posted:

The PT Cruiser is stupid popular for some reason. I don't know why, but I take a lot of appointments on them whenever we have them in stock.

Because it's hip or own an ugly car? Or old people really like them?

My former coworker is driving one with 210+k miles on it. I have no idea how it still runs.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

mariooncrack posted:

My former coworker is driving one with 210+k miles on it. I have no idea how it still runs.

Poorly. Just like it did when new. :colbert:

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Phy posted:

Is it natural to want to kick in the teeth of people who use classified-speak like "creampuff"?

Only when it's not warranted. I've heard it only once, when my brother tried to buy a Cadillac. In his defense, that car was smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I was a first time buyer and managed to get a 0% rate on my ford focus. I think I just hit the timing just right of trying to clean out the old years inventory.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 17, 2014

• Locked thread