Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I kinda like facecams on things like twitch streams where you interact with the guy playing the game, not so much on a youtube video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
For streaming and any other kind of live event, it makes sense. There is a running dialogue going on with the people watching, so if someone wants to include their face. Great. More power to them. It may not always have the desired effect, but it at least makes sense that they want to engage on that level.

For content that is being generated for youtube alone, it *can* work, but like most other aspects of this thing it requires *effort*.

If someone spends time going over their separate video feed to find the bits where something they captured with their webcam is interesting, entertaining or relatable -- then great! Mix it in with the other footage.

Put it in a corner as a temporary pop-up, do a cutaway, whatever. So long as it is engaging.

But few people do that. They just switch on the webcam, set up picture in picture, and go -- even if 90% of the content provided by that camera is just them staring blankly into their monitor. The ones which generate abject hatred are the ones who have gotten into their head that having this camera pointed at them means they need to put on a show, and the only point of reference they have as to how they need to go about doing it is PewDiePie.

I'm of a mind that if you absolutely feel like it is something you have to include then knock yourself out. The worst that can happen is people don't watch. (Or you get recognized on the street).

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Zenzizenzizenzic posted:

What there should be is an asscam, where interested parties might comfortably watch an rear end quiver with fear, mirth, or indignation depending on the rear end haver's game experience at the time.

I've been championing for this and I'm glad I'm not alone.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Zenzizenzizenzic posted:

What there should be is an asscam, where interested parties might comfortably watch an rear end quiver with fear, mirth, or indignation depending on the rear end haver's game experience at the time.
Whoopie cushions: the asscam equivalent of fake screaming.

Fredrik1 posted:

I kinda like facecams on things like twitch streams where you interact with the guy playing the game, not so much on a youtube video.
CYOA-style interaction done via youtube annotation links

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fish Noise posted:

CYOA-style interaction done via youtube annotation links

http://lparchive.org/Silent-Hill-Homecoming/

Funnily enough this has been (excellently) done by Kamoc in the past.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

slowbeef posted:

i'm gonna kill whoever bought that fuckin emote

Don't bait him, otherwise he'll make this an emote too.

And he'll call it :lparguments

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
The first one is a wasted... what is it? 30 bucks? At least I'd say so, but apparently no one including myself has a problem discerning it's slowbeef. Someone should make a Betus emote, though. call it :beatoff:

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
If I streamed, the videos would have a corgi cam. Whether they would also have a video game is a bit more up in the air.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

IGgy IGsen posted:

The first one is a wasted... what is it? 30 bucks?

At least it goes helping keep the servers up. And by that I mean it actually buys a 2x4 to prop them up. They're old, wet computers, you see.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I would watch a facecam video of Lowtax fixing the loving servers.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

I would watch a facecam video of Lowtax fixing the loving servers.

I could get behind that - have a livestream of him sitting at his computer, with a continuously updating ticker of his Twitter feed. Whenever someone complains about what are they paying $10 for, he would throw a handful of Cheetos in the air.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

TheObserver posted:

I could get behind that - have a livestream of him sitting at his computer, with a continuously updating ticker of his Twitter feed. Whenever someone complains about what are they paying $10 for, he would throw a handful of Cheetos in the air.

He laughs like a maniac every time he approves a ban for someone.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
Nah, that would imply he cares about the site. He should just have a notepad partially off camera that he leans over and writes on, before glancing up and saying something like "ok, you? You're banned."

At the end of the stream, he should hold the pad up to the screen to show a picture of dickbutt.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

What if you just don't feel like doing fake screams yourself when streaming? I mean, that can't be good for your vocal cords.

Viewer Participation Scream. Call in to scream for the streamer, 10-20 seconds.

Combine with Lowtax facecam, make it $10 to call in.

KamenZero
Oct 19, 2013

Fish Noise posted:

What if you just don't feel like doing fake screams yourself when streaming? I mean, that can't be good for your vocal cords.

Viewer Participation Scream. Call in to scream for the streamer, 10-20 seconds.

Combine with Lowtax facecam, make it $10 to call in.

We need a Kickstarter for this, we'll only need $50,000 to cover the cost of equipment and Skypephone usage

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

slowbeef posted:

At least it goes helping keep the servers up. And by that I mean it actually buys a 2x4 to prop them up. They're old, wet computers, you see.

that's a pretty pricy 2x4 beefus

KamenZero
Oct 19, 2013

Stux posted:

that's a pretty pricy 2x4 beefus

Only the highest-quality particle board will do

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Open question:when did people collectively decide "content creator" WASN'T corporate buzzword bullshit.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Open question:when did people collectively decide "content creator" WASN'T corporate buzzword bullshit.

Probably around the same time the general consensus on SA decided that LP's were "art" of some form, and that people shouldn't make fun of people that take them super seriously that aren't making a living off of them. GOTTA PROTECT THAT ORIGINAL LP CONTENT YO. I mean, when the LP museums start opening up, what, you expect people who create the David's and Mona Lisa's of LPs NOT to be credited for their fine contribution to human society? LPers aren't nerds, we're visionaries!

Basically, when your typical LP goon turned into the Brauner of LPs

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BMS posted:

Probably around the same time the general consensus on SA decided that LP's were "art" of some form, and that people shouldn't make fun of people that take them super seriously that aren't making a living off of them. GOTTA PROTECT THAT ORIGINAL LP CONTENT YO. I mean, when the LP museums start opening up, what, you expect people who create the David's and Mona Lisa's of LPs NOT to be credited for their fine contribution to human society? LPers aren't nerds, we're visionaries!

When I hear the word "content creator" I do not think "auteur" and I doubt anyone else does.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Is LPing stupid or taken too seriously? I'm afraid I'm getting mixed messages. I don't care, I'd just like to take the opposite stance whenever possible (I am a tiresome contrarian).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Forgive me Slowbeef, for I have LP'ed.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

BMS posted:

I don't remember that consensus ever happening. What I do remember was people getting tired of being insulted because they actually wanted to put effort into their LPs. Also people getting tired of this argument.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I don't know, is it? Seems like a content creator is someone who creates content.

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 17, 2014

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
LPing in particular has had a lot of confusion come about lately with things revolving around copyright and monetizing and whatnot, so people try to speak plainly and clearly about what they think LPing is and what they want it to be to get their point across. "Content creator" is more or less a result of this, because the point is trying to be clearly stated that we are creating content.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jamesman posted:

because the point is trying to be clearly stated that we are creating content.

I prefer being called a "Content displayer via third-party content creation software"

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 17, 2014

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
You guys do know that youtube is more than just LP's right? Like that term is used for anyone uploading stuff to youtube. Also fart.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Niggurath posted:

Also fart.
Bringing smellovision back to content creation!

You thought facecams helped the audience connect with the LPer? WAIT'LL YOU GET A LOAD OF THIS

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

judge reinhold posted:

I don't care, I'd just like to take the opposite stance whenever possible (I am a tiresome contrarian).

Same.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

judge reinhold posted:

Is LPing stupid or taken too seriously? I'm afraid I'm getting mixed messages. I don't care, I'd just like to take the opposite stance whenever possible (I am a tiresome contrarian).

It's both, even if you take the opposite stance you still agree. There are no other choices.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

judge reinhold posted:

For real tho, people do need to come to some kind of consensus on this. Perhaps someone could create a thread where we could all discuss this topic together? I think that would be a great idea. We could call it the "Let's Play Exploding Zone" because the thread will be "exploding" with civil discussion. :)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

dijon du jour posted:

For real tho, people do need to come to some kind of consensus on this. Perhaps someone could create a thread where we could all discuss this topic together? I think that would be a great idea. We could call it the "Let's Play Exploding Zone" because the thread will be "exploding" with civil discussion. :)

Oh boy, oh boy! I've been waitin' for this--

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Blind Sally posted:

All those need to be reworked to invoke the fact that it's the return of the blast zone.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blind Sally posted:

I miss the Blasting Zone. It was a multitude of pages with people freaking the hell out over every little thing imaginable concerning LPs. It was almost like the "good 'ol days" of the YouTube Retsupray rants...except in forum form with goons! :letsplay: nostalgia

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
A Blasting Zone Mk. II would probably be successful if it operated as a more general LP chat area. The first ended with dozens of probations and a lot of bickering, before ultimately being gassed--probably because it was structured with the goal of discussing what worked best for LP and nobody could agree on what that meant. It was hilarious, don't get me wrong, but ultimately we're all trying to have fun with LP, right? A new Blasting Zone thread should be about that. (And yeah, I know some brave souls use LP to seek fame and fortune).

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Blind Sally posted:

A Blasting Zone Mk. II would probably be successful if it operated as a more general LP chat area. The first ended with dozens of probations and a lot of bickering, before ultimately being gassed--probably because it was structured with the goal of discussing what worked best for LP and nobody could agree on what that meant. It was hilarious, don't get me wrong, but ultimately we're all trying to have fun with LP, right? A new Blasting Zone thread should be about that. (And yeah, I know some brave souls use LP to seek fame and fortune).

I'll make the wiki.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Spread the word, brother.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Blind Sally posted:

Put up or shut up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Believe it or not, you can both put actual effort into your LPs and discuss methodology and the ongoing trends and all that kind of stuff, and also not take LP that seriously and treat it as a hobby that doesn't consume your life. It doesn't have to be an "either-or" thing, much like how it isn't in every other hobby you can think of.

It's not a bad thing to be really into Let's Plays until it starts affecting your life in a negative way, other than it being a nerdier and more awkward hobby to talk about in public than most others of course.

Also, between this thread and the Sandcastle, I don't know if we really need another Blasting Zone. It was fine for what it was, but I don't really see what purpose it'd serve now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
The blasting zone loving owned lets do this poo poo already hail satan praise uh. poo poo who was that guy who never completed his lps and got made fun of a lot. praise him

• Locked thread