Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

paragon1 posted:

Just a reminder that when these kind of groups say "elites" it is because they can't say "Jews" anymore.

It's actually literal satanic wizards :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

SedanChair posted:

It's actually literal satanic wizards :eng101:

If they're Dominionists, then yeah, sure.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
If they weren't dominionists they wouldn't be trying to gently caress around with Caesar's law. Mormons and Catholics who are into it are crypto-protestant dominionists. :eng101::eng101::eng101:

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
I thought "Elite" was "Science doesn't backup my bullshit, so I need a conspiracy theory to stay relevant".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
No see it just happens that these 'elites' control over our banking, media, and science fields, these shadowy hook nosed elites just happen to want to take all your money and keep you stupid to serve their own vile causes and take your baby's blood for their Seder wine.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

There will be a ruling in Wyoming by 5 PM Monday.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This is loving incredible

http://www.c-span.org/video/standalone/?322045-4/washington-journal-brian-brown-evan-wolfson-samesex-marriage&popoutPlayer

This weekend Freedom To Marry head Evan Wolfson faced down hate group leader Brian Brown in an hour-long call-in show on C-SPAN.

I'm watching this right now, holy lol.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So NOM asked for courts to pay back their legal fees

They asked for $700,000

Court today handed down their decision

gently caress You NOM

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

So NOM asked for courts to pay back their legal fees

They asked for $700,000

Court today handed down their decision

gently caress You NOM

Did they really think they would get their money back? Do they think the system is "Pay your fees unless you lose your case"?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

gatesealer posted:

Did they really think they would get their money back? Do they think the system is "Pay your fees unless you lose your case"?

They get their lawyers from Liberty University...enough said

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Every time I see NOM it parses as No On Marriage. That's either poor design of their name, or surprisingly well done.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Thanks to the internet I just hear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcB3ckHqq0

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's times like this that I'm really glad our courts still use typewriters. T H I S O R D E R I S F I N A L

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Dear NOM:

Thanks for the donations, fuckfaces.

Now :frogout:

Sincerely,
The Courts

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

paragon1 posted:

It's times like this that I'm really glad our courts still use typewriters. T H I S O R D E R I S F I N A L

I'm sure it's standard procedure, but I just love the air of "gently caress you" of DENIED and THIS ORDER IS FINAL being in all caps. :allears:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Live stream begins in 13 min

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug1tz-ECKGA

Should be fun after past few weeks

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Losing religious freedom? Wha?????

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

platedlizard posted:

Losing religious freedom? Wha?????

Freedom to discriminate :patriot:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

RZApublican posted:

Freedom to discriminate :patriot:

Freedom to air a completely redundant show on someone else's basic cable channel.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So it looks like they hosed up and posted the entire loving thing online at once (must not be a live thing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug1tz-ECKGA&t=7310s

The intro is loving hilarious and the voice sounds like it belongs on The Hunger Games

Edit: The opening prayer sounds like this is going to be a suicide pact

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 17, 2014

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

About to watch but is there a reason that video starts at the 2 hour mark?

Edit: Oh I didn't know it was 2 hours of waiting lmao.

Morter fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 17, 2014

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Live stream begins in 13 min

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug1tz-ECKGA

Should be fun after past few weeks

Because if there's anyone who knows the true price of US Citizenship, it's four straight white dudes. :allears:

Also I don't know about the wasp brothers, but Hewitt and Douthat have great bibliographies. You know a show from the guys who brought you such classics as Bad Religion: How We Became a Nation of Heretics and If It's Not Close, They Can't Cheat: Crushing the Democrats in Every Election and Why Your Life Depends on It just has to be gold.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Morter posted:

About to watch but is there a reason that video starts at the 2 hour mark?

Not sure

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

CAKES! PHOTOS! PHARMACYS!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Okay, actual question: In all seriousness, what do religious people stand to lose from this "legal assault" besides the legal expansion ("redefinition") of marriage and the occasional business being closed down because it's owner used the facade of "religious expression" to hate on a group/person? What do they actually feel is under threat?

Perhaps they're just upselling their plight but I feel like I'm missing a great deal of necessity for their panic, and I want someone to explain it to me, please.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

"the only just marriage is my marriage'

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

This is loving incredible

http://www.c-span.org/video/standalone/?322045-4/washington-journal-brian-brown-evan-wolfson-samesex-marriage&popoutPlayer

This weekend Freedom To Marry head Evan Wolfson faced down hate group leader Brian Brown in an hour-long call-in show on C-SPAN.

Haha wow, the first caller they took around 9:00 literally only said "It ain't natural," then "Adam and Steve."

Edit: Oh god, is every caller horrible?

One Legged Cat fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 17, 2014

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Morter posted:

Okay, actual question: In all seriousness, what do religious people stand to lose from this "legal assault" besides the legal expansion ("redefinition") of marriage and the occasional business being closed down because it's owner used the facade of "religious expression" to hate on a group/person? What do they actually feel is under threat?

Perhaps they're just upselling their plight but I feel like I'm missing a great deal of necessity for their panic, and I want someone to explain it to me, please.

A good-faith explanation of the position is that they literally believe that the nuclear family is the building block of society - essentially that American society is built up, or should ideally be built up, of groups of a man, a woman, and 2.5 children.
This doesn't hold up under close scrutiny but it is a nice, if naive, belief.

So the theory goes that anything that redefines what a family is, or what a marriage is, will cause society to crumble.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

CAKES! PHOTOS! PHARMACYS!

Bathrooms.

This is about loving bathrooms.

I can't. I just can't anymore. :doh:

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

People get so worked up and weird about bathrooms. Issues from toilet training maybe?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

bewilderment posted:

A good-faith explanation of the position is that they literally believe that the nuclear family is the building block of society - essentially that American society is built up, or should ideally be built up, of groups of a man, a woman, and 2.5 children.
This doesn't hold up under close scrutiny but it is a nice, if naive, belief.

So the theory goes that anything that redefines what a family is, or what a marriage is, will cause society to crumble.

Alternatively: Any deviation from the formula of White + Straight + Male + Christian(Southern Baptist) is seen as a moral failing to be condemned and ideally, to be expunged from society.

platedlizard posted:

People get so worked up and weird about bathrooms. Issues from toilet training maybe?

It has to do with being in any position that could be seen as vulnerable. These types are incredibly insecure and are terrified that, given the slightest moment of vulnerability, the "Bad Guys" will come to get them and defile their pure pure White, Straight, Christian, Manliness. Basically they are filthy cowards.

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 17, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

platedlizard posted:

A lot of people get told their entire lives that "boys go over here, girls go over there, don't deviate or you'll be in huge trouble" and that social conditioning can be hella powerful. Outside of good ol' fashioned bigotry there isn't much else to it, I think.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Same reason they got so pissed off about bathrooms sixty years ago.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
There's also the fear that A Gay/A Tranny/Etc (they're all the same thing, right?) will see my Straight Penis in the bathroom and will try to have Gay Sex with me (because The Gays have no standards and will have Gay Sex with any penis regardless of to whom it is attached).

Throw in the obligatory "the children" too.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Morter posted:

Well at this point same sex marriage has become something of a symbol for their greater battle against the US shift away from Christian values being the dominant, accepted ones. It's a shift that's been going on for decades now as bits and pieces of their doctrine get hacked away, and marriage rights are a very large, very visible piece.

Once same sex marriage is legal in the entire US, you'll probably see them move away from it as a symbol in exchange for another battle. They'll probably double down on creationism vs evolution, or something similar.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Millions posted:

There's also the fear that A Gay/A Tranny/Etc (they're all the same thing, right?) will see my Straight Penis in the bathroom and will try to have Gay Sex with me (because The Gays have no standards and will have Gay Sex with any penis regardless of to whom it is attached).

Throw in the obligatory "the children" too.

The best part is that that doesn't even address the fact that gay men are already using the men's toilet, regardless whether they can marry or not. If anything, proponents of equal marriage should use turn this on its head and claim letting gays marry should reduce the number of gay men that may seduce you in the toilet since they're in a committed monogamous relationship instead of just dating another gay man. I wonder if these moral warriors will use the defense of "marriage doesn't stop someone from extramarital sex".

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

They're doubling down on abortion if recent laws and the pamphlets I've been getting in the mail are any indication. Interestingly enough Oregon Right to Life basically conceded "homosexual marriage" in their latest pamphlet. Pretty much "we can't win on gay marriage but we can win on THIS (outlawing abortion)"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Morter posted:

A few possibilities:
A fear that God will withdraw his favor from us (at least for US, and to a lesser extent, British Christians) if we as a nation reach a critical mass of turning away from God.
A fear of being an outsider or an undesirable in one's own county because of one's immutable beliefs. (An interesting irony)
For many Christians who have invested themselves in fighting gay rights or marriage equality, there is a sense that their homophobia is an essential and inseparable part of their Christianity and not being able to act out their homophobia is the same as being forbidden their right of free expression of religion.
A genuine, heartfelt fear for the souls of (what they believe to be) unrepentant sinners.
Uneasiness with no longer being the sole arbiters and determiners of cultural power.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

wid posted:

The best part is that that doesn't even address the fact that gay men are already using the men's toilet, regardless whether they can marry or not. If anything, proponents of equal marriage should use turn this on its head and claim letting gays marry should reduce the number of gay men that may seduce you in the toilet since they're in a committed monogamous relationship instead of just dating another gay man. I wonder if these moral warriors will use the defense of "marriage doesn't stop someone from extramarital sex".

To them gay marriage is not a committed monogamous relationship. The only reason gays want to marry is to further the nefarious Gay Agenda. The Gay Agenda is to defile and destroy the only force that holds the glorious ideal of civilization together: White Christian Maleness. To them gays are no better than cannibals and murderers, barbarians at the gates. They cast themselves as the noble crusader against the forces of evil. They need to do this to feed their overweening ego: their only blockade against the tide of fear and insecurity that is their inherent cowardice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

To them gays are no better than cannibals and murderers, barbarians at the gates.

I have noticed a pattern of a lot of people equating homosexuality, and by extension, same sex marriage, with incest and bestiality. It took me a while to realize that one of the stronger biblical passages against such homosexuality, Leviticus, also spoke against lying with a beast or with some blood relative, in quick succession, as far as I remember. So this is some weird slippery slope/domino-effect-waiting-to-happen, I think.

So in short, to some, being in a relationship with someone of the same sex is as bad as loving your dog.

Morter fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 17, 2014

• Locked thread