Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
how the gently caress would xbl auto-renew if you used prepaid cards? it'd be one thing if we were talking about the straight up shifty poo poo gyms do to keep you locked in but we're talking about reading some stuff and ticking a box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Is Nidhogg online just totally dead? I've yet to get a single online match going, in spite of trying every half hour or so for a couple of hours.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

September 2008 Wii sales were 687k, "nearly three times" the sales of August were made going by specific quotes of those with numbers, so a maximum of 190x3=580k potentially.
(oh, tripled. Correcting.)

I meant LTD sales

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

how the gently caress would xbl auto-renew if you used prepaid cards? it'd be one thing if we were talking about the straight up shifty poo poo gyms do to keep you locked in but we're talking about reading some stuff and ticking a box.

I'm talking about if you have a credit card or PayPal on your account (if you do it will auto renew even if you used a prepaid card last time). Still my point is most people don't read, and don't untick that box.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

nate fisher posted:

I'm talking about if you have a credit card or PayPal on your account (if you do it will auto renew even if you used a prepaid card last time). Still my point is most people don't read, and don't untick that box.

I meant the guy who said 'xbl didn't autorenew' when he was using prepaid cards.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

a foolish pianist posted:

Is Nidhogg online just totally dead? I've yet to get a single online match going, in spite of trying every half hour or so for a couple of hours.

I always had this issue on PC. Can't say anything for PS4 though.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Davincie posted:

like this poo poo might be normal in the usa or wherever, but it isn't here

Ah, there's the rub. American consumers are so used to our legislators allowing corporations to gently caress us over in whatever way they can we are jaded to underhanded business practices so most of us have learned to double check.

America, land of the free, home of the exploited cynic

Also, what's "money from the government for going to college"? :negative:

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 17, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

a shameful boehner posted:

Ah, there's the rub. American consumers are so used to our legislators allowing corporations to gently caress us over in whatever way they can we are jaded to underhanded business practices so most of us have learned to double check.

America, land of the free, home of the exploited cynic

Also, what's "money from the government for going to college"? :negative:

It's the part where they put you into crippling debt for a degree that you can't use, right? I love that part!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

a foolish pianist posted:

I've played several online matches but it takes 3-5 min to connect while saying 1 online and then 0 online.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Feenix posted:

I've played several online matches but it takes 3-5 min to connect while saying 1 online and then 0 online.

That's a shame. The tutorial is really fun, but I rarely have people who like video games over at my house. Maybe they'll patch this sometime?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
After having to go through canceling my Xbox Live sub once I refuse to use anything but prepaid cards with Xbox Live. gently caress them, gently caress them, gently caress them.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Davincie posted:

uhm i've had plenty of subscriptions and none did this. none of the three print magazines i was subscibed to did it, xbox live didn't do it (i used cards, digital might have been different), world of warcraft didn't do it, my phone plan doesn't do it, some service i used to watch films didn't do it even the money i get from the government for going to college has to be manually renewed each year.

Its not just the US, literally every single service you just named will auto renew and/or automatically start your subscription in the UK and isn't disallowed by the EU. Hell, one credit check company I used autosubs you after your online free trial, and then only has phone options for cancelling a subscription even if you signed up online.

Companies are loving poo poo all over.

edit: Oh yeah I forgot Xbox live, a service that has a clause in its terms and conditions that allows them to automatically charge your new card after your old one expires even if you never give them the card number for the new card in any way. gently caress that.

Stux fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 17, 2014

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
One of my Dualshock 4s is defective :(
The left analog stick is super jittery and I've noticed it while playing Destiny and confirmed when plugging into my PC. Cursor jumps around a lot and it will cause me to randomly stop sprinting every now and then.

Hopefully the RMA process is painless.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Stux posted:

Its not just the US, literally every single service you just named will auto renew and/or automatically start your subscription in the UK and isn't disallowed by the EU. Hell, one credit check company I used autosubs you after your online free trial, and then only has phone options for cancelling a subscription even if you signed up online.

Companies are loving poo poo all over.

edit: Oh yeah I forgot Xbox live, a service that has a clause in its terms and conditions that allows them to automatically charge your new card after your old one expires even if you never give them the card number for the new card in any way. gently caress that.

I would really love that last bit about Xbox Live to be pointed out with proof. My family absolutely does not believe me when I explained them that.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Just picked up a PS4 so apologies if this is already asked/answered numerous times.

Are the Prepaid PSN+ cards region locked like the XBL cards are? I'm in Australia and looking for the cheapest place to my a card.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ularg posted:

I would really love that last bit about Xbox Live to be pointed out with proof. My family absolutely does not believe me when I explained them that.

In the UK at least it's in the T&Cs: http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/Legal/LiveTOU

Specifically:

quote:

6.2. Your billing account. To pay the charges for a Service, you will be asked to provide a payment method at the time you sign up for that Service. You can access and change your billing account information and payment method on the Billing and Account Management website (https://commerce.microsoft.com). Additionally, you agree to permit Microsoft to use any updated account information regarding your payment method provided by your issuing bank or the applicable payment network. If you tell us to stop using your payment method and don't provide us with another payment method after our notice to you to do so within an appropriate timeframe, we may suspend or cancel your paid Service for good cause. You agree to keep your billing account and contact information current at all times. Changes made to your billing account won't affect charges we submit to your billing account before we could reasonably act on your changes to your billing account.

Always read what you're signing up for on any paid service.

edit: It may be that certain banks won't provide new billing info automatically but it's unlikely, and the bank I use is well known and one of the major banks in the UK and had no qualms about it.

Also I didn't save logs/screenshot it but xbox live support explicitly confirmed this for me when I contacted them about an auto renewal charge on a new card.

Stux fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 17, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I had heard that The Evil Within had the letterboxing on the screen but I didn't realize how bad it was until I watched a video for it today.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

freeranger posted:

Just picked up a PS4 so apologies if this is already asked/answered numerous times.

Are the Prepaid PSN+ cards region locked like the XBL cards are? I'm in Australia and looking for the cheapest place to my a card.
Yep, each card is for one region. If not, I'd go absolutely nuts on the Japanese store (though not the PS4 since they ain't got poo poo of their own yet).

edit: I have also never encountered a subscription service where you enter your credit card for a free trial that didn't start charging your credit card at the end of it automatically. That's the whole idea.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 17, 2014

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Davincie posted:

uhm i've had plenty of subscriptions and none did this. none of the three print magazines i was subscibed to did it, xbox live didn't do it (i used cards, digital might have been different), world of warcraft didn't do it, my phone plan doesn't do it, some service i used to watch films didn't do it even the money i get from the government for going to college has to be manually renewed each year.

lol print magazines. Xbox live totally does it, WoW does it. You're dumb.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
Thank you to the person who posted the $30 deal for last of us, never got to play the dlc or multiplayer for that on ps3.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Davincie posted:

This poo poo ain't normal in the USA or wherever. It is weird to expect everyone else to operate like Narnia just because your parents got charged for your WoW account and never told you.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

muscles like this? posted:

I had heard that The Evil Within had the letterboxing on the screen but I didn't realize how bad it was until I watched a video for it today.

I don't mind it, but it's the "intentionally bad controls add to the tension!" Resident Evil rationalization, 20 years later.

I'm about done with chapter 6 and it's one of my favorite games of the year so far.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

drat, I really think I figured out Pix the Cat arcade mode. It just clicked.

- Don't rush through all the stages, spend more time perfecting each one (fewer mistakes)
- Fever, fever, fever. It's fine if you break fever by eating eggs out of order, but dont break it by stepping on your ducktail or ramming an enemy
- Get into Fever faster by dashing against walls, when the bar is almost at Fever you can just sit in a tiny room and turndash over and over, watch that score rise
- during Fever eat as many enemies as possible for those sweet 10k point boosts, some stages have as many as 6 dudes floating around!
- you cant eat spikeballs no matter what

Just broke 100,000 points. valleyofdoom, I'm coming for your score, mofo!

edit; I'm pretty sure Pix the Cat is one of the only 'hardcore' games I've played that only uses directions/no buttons...at least since Pac Man. The trophies are insane!

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 17, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

HyperPuma posted:

Thank you to the person who posted the $30 deal for last of us, never got to play the dlc or multiplayer for that on ps3.

No problem. I'm glad so many people got the opportunity to play the game/additional content thanks to the deal.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I never played TLOU so I jumped all over the $30 deal. I don't get into singleplayer action/adventure games much (only other recent one I think was inFamous) but I am liking this one. Not in love with the controls, and normal is plenty hard enough for me (again, I don't play a lot of this sort of game) but the overall package is really good.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Rise Of The Triad or Duke3D told you to get a better PC if you shrunk it to the smallest size.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
Did you guys know there's a White PS4?

Because Sony's RMA system doesn't. Had to contact support to open a request, because their system only lists the black PS4's model number.

(I had to open the request because my system likes to shut itself off in the middle of doing things, or turn on in the middle of the night and beep incessantly while it continuously restarts itself, it also likes to get stuck in safe mode until you unplug the dang thing.)

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

God I remember back around 98 people playing Quakeworld with the screen shrunk a crazy amount, fullbright skins installed and d_mipcap set to 1 to make the textures to super low.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

MrLonghair posted:

e: Somebody reminded me that D4 launched in September and now I'm sad. No marketing at all from MS about it, and I'm quite sure it's the greatest reviewing fully exclusive title for the machine. MS financed and ordered that project from Swery, why would they waste all that time and money.

It is primarily a kinect game and MS are doing everything to distance themselves from kinect after their disaster of a launch.
Patrick Klepeck said it was a shame as it's the only game that is actually genuinely better with a kinect.

Basically MS have hosed Swery over so don't be surprised if his next venture ends up on PS4.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

MZ posted:

It is primarily a kinect game and MS are doing everything to distance themselves from kinect after their disaster of a launch.
Patrick Klepeck said it was a shame as it's the only game that is actually genuinely better with a kinect.

Basically MS have hosed Swery over so don't be surprised if his next venture ends up on PS4.

I do wonder why he said D4 will never be on PS4 after also saying it is owned 100% by his company. A PS4 version could be good - make it a PS+ free game at launch, possibly creating more awareness and popularity, allowing for the development of following episodes, and it could maybe create even more demand for the camera.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Davincie posted:

In the USA giving someone your CC# is pretty much free reign to charge you money until you die, poke around in the user contract or yell at them on them on the phone enough to get them to gently caress off. I envy your situation.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Which games outside of Just Dance & Alien Isolation use the camera in any way? I got one for Alien - because they're not very populour they actually offer the best value for money in pre-owned deals right now (£20 discount) - and love the experience tbh, but hoping something else is out or is going to be released.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

BisonDollah posted:

Which games outside of Just Dance & Alien Isolation use the camera in any way? I got one for Alien - because they're not very populour they actually offer the best value for money in pre-owned deals right now (£20 discount) - and love the experience tbh, but hoping something else is out or is going to be released.

Playroom is dedicated to the camera (and I think it's free?) and I know NBA 2K gives you a technical foul if you swear during the game (or sneeze in a way that will be interpreted as such).

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before but just needed to ask a very quick question.

I recently got a PS4 this Wednesday and was happily playing Shadows of Mordor on it before I needed to head back to my home town for a family funeral. I have come back today to find that it is refusing to start saying that I need to "connect a USB storage device that contains an update file for re-installation for version 1.76 or later".

Any idea why this might be? I only recently got it (used but from a reputable company) and it was working just fine, any help would be appreciated (and yes I do plan on getting a USB device and plugging it I just need to go out and buy one first) anyway, thanks for your time and I do apologise for bothering you.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So, Destiny. I actually like Destiny overall. It wasn't what I expected but playing through the campaign and PvP was actually a pretty fun experience. However, while I was ready to be done with it I have buddies who got the game and are much more amenable to the mindless grind of the end-game and, since there's no matchmaking in raids they're relying on me to do the grind as well.

It's really frustrating and stupid and I've spent way too many nights playing the same levels for the hundredth time when I'd rather be playing Shadow of Mordor :(

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

So, Destiny. I actually like Destiny overall. It wasn't what I expected but playing through the campaign and PvP was actually a pretty fun experience. However, while I was ready to be done with it I have buddies who got the game and are much more amenable to the mindless grind of the end-game and, since there's no matchmaking in raids they're relying on me to do the grind as well.

It's really frustrating and stupid and I've spent way too many nights playing the same levels for the hundredth time when I'd rather be playing Shadow of Mordor :(

Just stop then. I was in a similar situation to you, I enjoyed Destiny but reached Level 20 and then couldn't be bothered to grind up for the raid, it stopped being fun.

So I traded it in and got Shadow of Mordor instead, no regrets.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I meant the guy who said 'xbl didn't autorenew' when he was using prepaid cards.

If you've ever entered a credit card in XBL, it autorenews on that card.

If you've only ever used prepaid cards it doesn't, but only because it can't.

Josef bugman posted:

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before but just needed to ask a very quick question.

I recently got a PS4 this Wednesday and was happily playing Shadows of Mordor on it before I needed to head back to my home town for a family funeral. I have come back today to find that it is refusing to start saying that I need to "connect a USB storage device that contains an update file for re-installation for version 1.76 or later".

Any idea why this might be? I only recently got it (used but from a reputable company) and it was working just fine, any help would be appreciated (and yes I do plan on getting a USB device and plugging it I just need to go out and buy one first) anyway, thanks for your time and I do apologise for bothering you.

It might be a bad hard drive in the system.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Aphrodite posted:

It might be a bad hard drive in the system.

In which case what can/should I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

USB Music is cool and all but why oh why can't we just copy the files to our system Sony??

At least we FINALLY get youtube support :)

• Locked thread